Pitt vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pitt vs. Jefferson

• Pitt

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Jefferson

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AUD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a decision to make between Pitt and Jefferson. As of now, they both cost the same amount to attend, but I have been talking to one of the schools about finances so we'll see what happens there. If one were to become cheaper, I think the decision would become pretty easy, the consensus on SDN seems to be the cheaper, the better.

Assuming that they will both still cost the same amount, what do you guys think matters more? Jefferson is very close to home for me, only about 45 min away. It has a pass/fail/honors system that isn't based on std dev. Pitt is about 5 hours away, and is a better reputed school and has an extensive hospital system in UPMC. I think the research opportunities I'll get at Pitt might be better, but I hear that research is what the individual makes of it, not necessarily the school.

So basically my question is, how highly would you place a better reputed school over another? Do you think that it doesn't matter what school I pick, as long as I do well, even if were to become interested in competitive residencies? Or do you think that ceteris paribus I should pick Pitt if only that it may provide more opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt is a very well-reputed school that will open a lot of doors for you. I definitely hear nice things about Jefferson, but unless there's some huge issue like a very large difference in money or staying close to a spouse or something, it would seem ill-advised (in my opinion) to choose Jeff over Pitt.

Unless, of course, you know you're not interested in research and not planning to go for a competitive residency. If that's the case, one could argue your school's reputation doesn't matter as much.

I will also throw out there that Pitt is one of the schools I'm considering, and I loved it. I think the clinical training there is top-notch and Pittsburgh is a nice city. I did not apply to Jefferson.

aside from perhaps convenient location, what does Jefferson offer that isn't matched and/or surpassed by Pitt?

Members don't see this ad :)
aside from perhaps convenient location, what does Jefferson offer that isn't matched and/or surpassed by Pitt?

location? honestly, i don't think jeff has many academic/medical attributes that surpass pitt.

location? honestly, i don't think jeff has many academic/medical attributes that surpass pitt.

I only mention location because OP says it's close to home. I agree with you, that this seems like kind of a ridiculous comparison to be making, particularly at equal cost.

I only mention location because OP says it's close to home. I agree with you, that this seems like kind of a ridiculous comparison to be making, particularly at equal cost.

well, im kinda biased because ill most likely be going to pitt this fall :p

ive never been to jeff so i can't really make a fair comparison. all i can say is, pitt is an amazing school :thumbup:

I was accepted to both schools and am definitely going to Jeff. I am from Philly and did my undergrad at Pitt, and have had quite enough of that city. But yeah Pitt is a better school than Jeff no doubt about it. If you go to Pitt, you'll have to deal with four years of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Cindy Crysby though, so hey weigh your options!

Sidney Crosby >>> life. Don't hate.

I was accepted to both schools and am definitely going to Jeff. I am from Philly and did my undergrad at Pitt, and have had quite enough of that city. But yeah Pitt is a better school than Jeff no doubt about it. If you go to Pitt, you'll have to deal with four years of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Cindy Crysby though, so hey weigh your options!

I'm a philly sports fan, so living in Pittsburgh for four years would be pretty rough, haha.

I'm a philly sports fan, so living in Pittsburgh for four years would be pretty rough, haha.

Haha well take it from a fellow Philly sports fan who did live in Pittsburgh for the past 4 years...it is VERY rough. Now I don't think it should drive where you go to medical school, but just be prepared to get booed and yelled at if you wear any Flyers or Eagles gear. Phillies gear is safe since the Pirates haven't had a winning season since I was like 3 years old.

To be honest though I have not been very impressed with the Pitt medical students that I have met. Whether it was int he hospitals (when I was shadowing or volunteering) or during interview day, they seemed to rub me the wrong way.

With all the negatives out there said, I will say that minus the sports teams, I really did enjoy living in Pittsburgh for four years. Shadyside and Southside are two areas about 10 minutes from the med school that are very lively during the weekends. Southside is more of a "bro" area, but it has a lot of bars there (including Haufbrauhaus - my all time favorite). Shadyside is where Pitt med students generally live if not on campus, and is where I would have moved for sure if I stayed. It has a much more mature feel to it and also has a lot of bars - mostly filled with grad/med students.

If you don't have a strong desire to stay in Philadelphia, then there really is no comparison between these school in the rankings if that's what is important to you. UPMC is great and reaches into every location of the city. And i mean cmon they will be finishing the new Penguins stadium this summer to open in the fall, so you won't have to sit in ****ty mellon arena to watch a flyers/pens game (my overall record for the past 4 years in mellon arena is 2-6, sweet eh?).

To be honest though I have not been very impressed with the Pitt medical students that I have met. Whether it was int he hospitals (when I was shadowing or volunteering) or during interview day, they seemed to rub me the wrong way.

could you elaborate plz

So I have a decision to make between Pitt and Jefferson. As of now, they both cost the same amount to attend, but I have been talking to one of the schools about finances so we'll see what happens there. If one were to become cheaper, I think the decision would become pretty easy, the consensus on SDN seems to be the cheaper, the better.

Assuming that they will both still cost the same amount, what do you guys think matters more? Jefferson is very close to home for me, only about 45 min away. It has a pass/fail/honors system that isn't based on std dev. Pitt is about 5 hours away, and is a better reputed school and has an extensive hospital system in UPMC. I think the research opportunities I'll get at Pitt might be better, but I hear that research is what the individual makes of it, not necessarily the school.

So basically my question is, how highly would you place a better reputed school over another? Do you think that it doesn't matter what school I pick, as long as I do well, even if were to become interested in competitive residencies? Or do you think that ceteris paribus I should pick Pitt if only that it may provide more opportunities.

Hey AUD,

I'm holding a Jefferson acceptance and have wait lists to schools with a similar ranking as Pitt. I must say I don't know anything about Pitt other than its great reputation (Pitt does not take internationals, so I've never taken a good look at the school), so I can only restrict my comments to Jefferson and my personal decision-making process. However, I was willing to give up greater prestige for a school and location I love, the latter of which figured more prominently in my decision than most other applicants I know. I also have an extensive research background; your comment that "research is what the individual makes of it" is true to a certain extent. Research productivity is heavily dependent on both yourself and your supervisor, however, if there are more opportunities in general, it may be easier to find a research situation that works for you.

I can't tell you to choose Jeff over Pitt or vice versa, but it does seem like some posters are insinuating you'd be nuts to turn down Pitt. I disagree - all doctors I have ever met, by consensus, say that medical school is what you make of it, and what you get what you want out of it. If you feel more at home in Philly and at Jeff, and think that's the school for you, then Pitt's reputation shouldn't necessarily dissuade you from that decision. However, if Pitt is the school for you, then enjoy your time in Penguins country.

P.S: FWIW, if I do go to Jeff, I'll be a Toronto sports fan in Philly - I guess we all must make sacrifices. Now, I might become an Eagles fan (I don't back an NFL right now, and despite the games they are playing in Toronto, will never support the Bills), but cannot, in good conscience, support the Flyers (die-hard Leafs fan), 76ers (Raptors & Lakers fan), or Phillies (don't really like baseball, but the Jays did beat the Phillies in the '93 World Series, so there's that).

Status
Not open for further replies.