RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great feeling, when your grade is in part determined by someone who didn't even work with you and upon reading their feedback you're left questioning if they even know who you are because that's how little sense it makes.
This sucks. I'm sorry.

It just happened to me, too -- I got feedback that I didn't speak up during small group sessions, but I think they must be confusing me with someone else in the group with a similar name + hair color who is quite shy, because I often have to consciously keep myself from dominating those kinds of things.

Also, you may want to check on whether it actually is your grade... I've had a few instances this year where my grades have been entered incorrectly. Not just a "I think I deserved another grade" situation... it's truly been a "I don't think this feedback is for me because I didn't even take this rotation" situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This sucks. I'm sorry.

It just happened to me, too -- I got feedback that I didn't speak up during small group sessions, but I think they must be confusing me with someone else in the group with a similar name + hair color who is quite shy, because I often have to consciously keep myself from dominating those kinds of things.

Also, you may want to check on whether it actually is your grade... I've had a few instances this year where my grades have been entered incorrectly. Not just a "I think I deserved another grade" situation... it's truly been a "I don't think this feedback is for me because I didn't even take this rotation" situation.
In my case I doubt they actually mixed me up with someone else so much as they just... did not have enough experience with me to actually grade me fairly and made assumptions that were untrue based on limited interactions. They really just should not have been grading me in the first place IMO. Nobody in my class really looks like me or shares my name so it's hard to get me confused with someone else.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Not so much a rant as an apprehensive statement for the future... one of my two cats somehow managed to secretly steal and eat an entire large piece of bacon. We had counted the pieces and there was a remnant on the floor.

Someone is probably going to have some bad poops later. 😾

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Great feeling, when your grade is in part determined by someone who didn't even work with you and upon reading their feedback you're left questioning if they even know who you are because that's how little sense it makes.

... It just happened to me, too -- I got feedback that I didn't speak up during small group sessions, but I think they must be confusing me with someone else in the group with a similar name + hair color who is quite shy, because I often have to consciously keep myself from dominating those kinds of things.

In my case I doubt they actually mixed me up with someone else so much as they just... did not have enough experience with me to actually grade me fairly and made assumptions that were untrue based on limited interactions ...
@finnickthedog and @PippyPony ... this is just sooo not okay, on more than a few levels.

Can't imagine properly (and fairly) evaluating the performance of a resident, intern, or student, if I can't even identify them by their name, etc.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Threw a positive for campylobacter while in the hospital (been negative 3x for it during this whole thing) and so now apparently we're wanting to throw out the entire 2 months' worth of diagnostics that preceded it.

Even though it doesn't fit the clinical picture very well at all, and even though a week on azithromycin has done exactly 0 to alter my symptoms other than making a fever go away. I don't doubt the campy positive (although with my diet these days, I have no idea where I would have picked it up), but I REALLY doubt that it's been responsible for 2 months of illness while managing to fly under the radar in previous rounds of testing.

I would LOVE for this to be something as simple as that, but I really feel like it's an acute on chronic process and I don't love that we're tossing the chronic out just because campy is a fast and easy diagnosis. I spent the day today compiling all of my lab values since November, coding charts of them, and making a calendar of every appointment, diagnostic done & result, therapy tried (there wasn't much for this), etc. because I couldn't get an appointment with GI until I was 6 weeks into being sick and by the time I had my first appointment, my symptoms were somewhat managed with prednisone (after a week of being on that).

I'm grateful that I have an education that allows me to advocate for myself, but this whole thing is so freaking frustrating.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Came back into my room after a zoom interview only to discover that SOME cat had barfed in multiple locations (including on my backpack???) during the ~hour I was in another room. Someone remind me why I like cats again?

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
My beloved yellow lab, Ginger, has an ear infection. I must say taking her to the vet during COVID times was rough from the other side. I loved our old vet at Banfield who has since moved away and this new lady is awesome too. It was just really hard not being able to be with her. I felt a little like I was abandoning her.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
My beloved yellow lab, Ginger, has an ear infection. I must say taking her to the vet during COVID times was rough from the other side. I loved our old vet at Banfield who has since moved away and this new lady is awesome too. It was just really hard not being able to be with her. I felt a little like I was abandoning her.
I know it's hard! I will say that all of the patients we've had are fawned over essentially the entire time they're in. We've also had quite a few patients that owners describe as having really bad separation anxiety who actually do very well by themselves in the hospital. I think some do better when they separate from their owners in the parking lot vs knowing their owners are somewhere in the same building

• Love
I know it's hard! I will say that all of the patients we've had are fawned over essentially the entire time they're in. We've also had quite a few patients that owners describe as having really bad separation anxiety who actually do very well by themselves in the hospital. I think some do better when they separate from their owners in the parking lot vs knowing their owners are somewhere in the same building

Thank you so much for telling me that. :) I didn't ask because I just couldn't wait to get her home, but I could see the bolded being Ginger.

Thank you so much for telling me that. :) I didn't ask because I just couldn't wait to get her home, but I could see the bolded being Ginger.
Yeah lol, we actually had a client tell us yesterday "Oh I forgot to tell you my dog has HORRIBLE separation anxiety, they literally used to have to take his BP in my lap because it would spike like 50 points as soon as he left me." and I was like "Oh lol your dog has been a straight chiller the entire time he's been here"

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes the clients need the anti anxiety drugs, not the pets. And those people all like to come see me on the same day for a fun-filled afternoon of veterinary psychotherapy.

Reactions: 9 users
Sometimes the clients need the anti anxiety drugs, not the pets. And those people all like to come see me on the same day for a fun-filled afternoon of veterinary psychotherapy.
FB_IMG_1611680906125.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
*please no quoting either*

@silverrains I'm so sorry to hear this. It's a weird feeling of betrayal to know that someone had suspicions something was wrong and was in a position to do something about it but just... didn't. I'm sorry you're in this position now and I hope you get some answers and a path forward soon.

***poof***

The only thing to do now is step up to the plate for yourself. They couldn't do it, but you needed that effort, and were worth that effort, and I'm glad you're trying to give it to yourself now no matter how long it's been due to you.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
So on overnight shift last night I was helping on a sedated procedure for an inpatient who was not mine. The other tech pointed at the cat when asking for help, and after drawing up alfaxalone, I gave half a dose to the cat I thought was the patient without checking the cage card. And yeah I knocked down the wrong cat. Eeeesh I really hope they won't fire me for this!!!!

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
So on overnight shift last night I was helping on a sedated procedure for an inpatient who was not mine. The other tech pointed at the cat when asking for help, and after drawing up alfaxalone, I gave half a dose to the cat I thought was the patient without checking the cage card. And yeah I knocked down the wrong cat. Eeeesh I really hope they won't fire me for this!!!!
This is in fact a really valuable experience, though! Medical errors are always terrifying but this is something you'll hopefully remember for the rest of your career and think about ways to mitigate in the future.

When they want to talk to you about this, I'd consider thinking through what steps didn't occur that could have prevented this and which ones could possibly be added to the process of medicating patients that could have helped prevent it. Just from my personal perspective, I find employees who have unintentionally made significant errors are very valuable to keep around because they are often VERY motivated to never make them again, and bring a lot of insights about this stuff to other team members.

I'm glad both patients are okay, and I hope you're taking the lessons necessary from this experience without being too hard on yourself about it.

This is in fact a really valuable experience, though! Medical errors are always terrifying but this is something you'll hopefully remember for the rest of your career and think about ways to mitigate in the future.

When they want to talk to you about this, I'd consider thinking through what steps didn't occur that could have prevented this and which ones could possibly be added to the process of medicating patients that could have helped prevent it. Just from my personal perspective, I find employees who have unintentionally made significant errors are very valuable to keep around because they are often VERY motivated to never make them again, and bring a lot of insights about this stuff to other team members.

I'm glad both patients are okay, and I hope you're taking the lessons necessary from this experience without being too hard on yourself about it.
I'm quite sure this will NEVER happen to me again!! It was truly terrifying!!! I was dreading about it all day and just can't believe I did that. I couldn't understand what evil got into my head that made me think "yeah it sounds like a brilliant idea to give controlled drug to a patient I don't know without checking the name".

I want to say it was just physical exhaustion - we were overcrowded and short staffed earlier this week, the other tech and I ended up taking 7 ICU patients each for 3 nights, and I took an extra shift helping the blood donation during my off day. But that was simply no excuse. The fact that I was so absent minded at work horrifies me.

I'm quite sure this will NEVER happen to me again!! It was truly terrifying!!! I was dreading about it all day and just can't believe I did that. I couldn't understand what evil got into my head that made me think "yeah it sounds like a brilliant idea to give controlled drug to a patient I don't know without checking the name".

I want to say it was just physical exhaustion - we were overcrowded and short staffed earlier this week, the other tech and I ended up taking 7 ICU patients each for 3 nights, and I took an extra shift helping the blood donation during my off day. But that was simply no excuse. The fact that I was so absent minded at work horrifies me.
If it makes you feel any better, I made an even more negligent error back before vet school. I was monitoring anesthesia and flat out walked away from the patient because there was some drama in the reception area that the doctor and tech left to go see and I was curious what was going on. Came back and the dogs heart rate and blood pressure had tanked to the floor. Luckily we got it back up quickly and no harm done overall.

I didn’t get fired for that, although I absolutely should have. I personally wouldn’t fire you for what happened, since I think it was a “learn your lesson once” and was a mistake vs absolute stupidity like mine. I doubt you will ever not double check your patient going forward.

You bet your butt I’m 110% attentive to my anesthesia patients now and ever since then. I got complimented this past summer for how closely I pay attention while running anesthesia. Probably wouldn’t be quite as obsessive if I hadn’t made that error and nearly killed a dog years ago.

• Care
Came back into my room after a zoom interview only to discover that SOME cat had barfed in multiple locations (including on my backpack???) during the ~hour I was in another room. Someone remind me why I like cats again?
My cat barfed before my interview today. Let’s just hope it’s a sign of good luck!

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
So we have to submit spit samples weekly for COVID testing unless we're on vacation/externship. I'm on a virtual rotation right now so I haven't done it the past couple weeks since I'm not on campus at all.

But I have to go get my senior photo for the composite taken on Friday.

So anyways, long story short I think I have to drive to campus tomorrow just to drop off my spit and I'm a little salty about this.

• Care
Just a little over a month ago I moved to a new city with my husband for his work. I interviewed last week at my dream school and I am now just in the waiting period for my application. Every month we will receive an email that says "accepted or still in consideration" basically until April when the school will finally send out the waitlist... I am so frustrated because I have been trying to find a tech position since I moved here because I know I will be here until at least the start of September (or another year if not accepted) , but of course, no one wants to hire someone who might leave in less than a year. One company had me complete a 5-hour working interview that went amazing, then a formal interview with their director, only to be told "oh we don't know if it's a smart decision on our part to take you on". BISH, I told you in my COVER LETTER I may or may not get into vet school. Why waste my time!? My husband would never complain but I feel guilty just sitting at home doing nothing all day.

• Care
Just a little over a month ago I moved to a new city with my husband for his work. I interviewed last week at my dream school and I am now just in the waiting period for my application. Every month we will receive an email that says "accepted or still in consideration" basically until April when the school will finally send out the waitlist... I am so frustrated because I have been trying to find a tech position since I moved here because I know I will be here until at least the start of September (or another year if not accepted) , but of course, no one wants to hire someone who might leave in less than a year. One company had me complete a 5-hour working interview that went amazing, then a formal interview with their director, only to be told "oh we don't know if it's a smart decision on our part to take you on". BISH, I told you in my COVER LETTER I may or may not get into vet school. Why waste my time!? My husband would never complain but I feel guilty just sitting at home doing nothing all day.
Do you have any Banfields in your area? I am not the biggest fan of corporate and probably wouldn't work for them again, but they were willing to hire me knowing I would be leaving for vet school less than a year later. I think they're kind of used to turnover. And you might luck out and end up with a really good team - I did, with the exception of our practice manager. I wasn't a huge fan of the higher ups in our region either but day to day working environment with the rest of the team was wonderful. And since the doctors knew I was heading to vet school they took extra time to teach me stuff. Plus they pay pretty well compared to private practice.

Have you tried per diem in local ERs? If you're not worried about getting the benefits associated with full time employment, a few shifts here and there might actually bring pretty good salary overall.

worst comes to worst, take a few months off to recharge and adapt to your new life. You deserve it. Uprooting your life in a new city is a big deal and your husband understands it too. Don't pressure yourself too hard.

Do you have any Banfields in your area? I am not the biggest fan of corporate and probably wouldn't work for them again, but they were willing to hire me knowing I would be leaving for vet school less than a year later. I think they're kind of used to turnover. And you might luck out and end up with a really good team - I did, with the exception of our practice manager. I wasn't a huge fan of the higher ups in our region either but day to day working environment with the rest of the team was wonderful. And since the doctors knew I was heading to vet school they took extra time to teach me stuff. Plus they pay pretty well compared to private practice.
We do have a few in the area. I had just always assumed that corporate places wouldn't hire me as I was not a CVT!

Have you tried per diem in local ERs? If you're not worried about getting the benefits associated with full time employment, a few shifts here and there might actually bring pretty good salary overall.

worst comes to worst, take a few months off to recharge and adapt to your new life. You deserve it. Uprooting your life in a new city is a big deal and your husband understands it too. Don't pressure yourself too hard.
I haven't seen anything posted on job boards of that nature. I will admit I am a little intimidated by ER... my last job was a one doctor private practice. I think in the 11 months I was there we had 5-6 real emergency situations and 2 were DOA. He's definitely understanding, it's just frustrating watching my savings dwindle because I don't like asking for extra help and we have always kept our incomes separate. He makes close to 6 figures and has always let me use my tiny salary just to pay for things I want or to pay off student loans while he covers bills. But now ya girl feels like she can't even afford decent shampoo!

I haven't seen anything posted on job boards of that nature. I will admit I am a little intimidated by ER... my last job was a one doctor private practice. I think in the 11 months I was there we had 5-6 real emergency situations and 2 were DOA. He's definitely understanding, it's just frustrating watching my savings dwindle because I don't like asking for extra help and we have always kept our incomes separate. He makes close to 6 figures and has always let me use my tiny salary just to pay for things I want or to pay off student loans while he covers bills. But now ya girl feels like she can't even afford decent shampoo!
I used to be like this (hell I'm still a bit like this). I felt insecure not having a half-way decent paying job, or not contributing financially to our family. I got sensitive over little things and minor spending that my husband doesn't even care about. Then I realized it was not healthy for our relationship. Honest and frank conversation about money is essential to your relationship, and sometimes we just need to get over our insecurities and let the other help out when they can. He's working, you're going to school, there's going to be a discrepancy in earning for quite a few years, don't let that ruin your relationship! My husband says he'll gladly pay for part of my vet school tuition when he graduates and get a good job, and I think I'll let him. And when I graduate and become board certified and stuff, I'll gladly take on all the financial responsibility and have him be the stay-at-home artistic daddy he always wants to be!

I used to be like this (hell I'm still a bit like this). I felt insecure not having a half-way decent paying job, or not contributing financially to our family. I got sensitive over little things and minor spending that my husband doesn't even care about. Then I realized it was not healthy for our relationship. Honest and frank conversation about money is essential to your relationship, and sometimes we just need to get over our insecurities and let the other help out when they can. He's working, you're going to school, there's going to be a discrepancy in earning for quite a few years, don't let that ruin your relationship! My husband says he'll gladly pay for part of my vet school tuition when he graduates and get a good job, and I think I'll let him. And when I graduate and become board certified and stuff, I'll gladly take on all the financial responsibility and have him be the stay-at-home artistic daddy he always wants to be!
I love this haha! He’s an officer in the military so he’s paid well and we have great benefits, and I think that’s why he’s completely fine taking on financial responsibility. He has said he’ll likely try and stay in as long as possible so that I can use my entire vet salary to pay off my loans as soon as possible. Then he’ll retire and get to relax! It’s just so frustrating to be 25, out of school making a little over minimum wage as a tech (and now nothing as I’m in limbo) with no end in sight as of yet 🤣. I know I need to get over myself and ask for help, I mean we are married...it’s just a bit of a blow to my self esteem 😅

• Care
I love this haha! He’s an officer in the military so he’s paid well and we have great benefits, and I think that’s why he’s completely fine taking on financial responsibility. He has said he’ll likely try and stay in as long as possible so that I can use my entire vet salary to pay off my loans as soon as possible. Then he’ll retire and get to relax! It’s just so frustrating to be 25, out of school making a little over minimum wage as a tech (and now nothing as I’m in limbo) with no end in sight as of yet 🤣. I know I need to get over myself and ask for help, I mean we are married...it’s just a bit of a blow to my self esteem 😅
A strong self esteem will make you realize that you are contributing to the relationship so much more than money can measure. And hey, I'm 30 years old now, will be making negative $50,000 for another four years, then probably a few years more of minimum wage if I'm strong enough to pursue specialty training after graduation. During which time I'll most likely not be able to bear and raise any children (I mean, I'm never a big fan of kids, but my husband adores them and will be a great father when time comes). We all have different paths to follow, don't beat yourself up with what other people believe to be a successful life!

• Care
During which time I'll most likely not be able to bear and raise any children (I mean, I'm never a big fan of kids, but my husband adores them and will be a great father when time comes).
There are definitely people who have kids both during school and during internships/residencies :) just to let you know that some people *do* that and you aren’t required to completely put your life and family on hold if it’s something you guys feel like you can make work.

Reactions: 8 users
Annoyed with clients. A woman called today concerned that her dog vomited a glove and was worried her dog may have swallowed other things. Dog has a history of swallowing socks (dog is a Labrador retriever so big surprise there). Offered to see if the doctor could squeeze her in for an appointment and the owner said today didn’t work because she’s going out of town for the weekend. She scheduled for Monday but may have to call back to cancel after speaking with her husband regarding cost. Quoted roughly $250 for exam and radiographs only.

1. I suppose it’s not life or death because the dog has had normal bowel movements up to this point and she didn’t note any inappetence. However considering this dog has a history of doing this I wouldn’t want to gamble on this dog being in the clear.
2. Owner shocked at $250. Wait until you need a foreign body surgery. That can cost $3000-4000 (I did tell the owner this)

• Care
  • Angry
Annoyed with clients. A woman called today concerned that her dog vomited a glove and was worried her dog may have swallowed other things. Dog has a history of swallowing socks (dog is a Labrador retriever so big surprise there). Offered to see if the doctor could squeeze her in for an appointment and the owner said today didn’t work because she’s going out of town for the weekend. She scheduled for Monday but may have to call back to cancel after speaking with her husband regarding cost. Quoted roughly $250 for exam and radiographs only.

1. I suppose it’s not life or death because the dog has had normal bowel movements up to this point and she didn’t note any inappetence. However considering this dog has a history of doing this I wouldn’t want to gamble on this dog being in the clear.
2. Owner shocked at $250. Wait until you need a foreign body surgery. That can cost $3000-4000 (I did tell the owner this)
****, $250 isn't even bad! Some people's kids...

****, $250 isn't even bad! Some people's kids...
$250 is better than $3000+. I just feel bad for the dog. Especially if the dog is left with a pet sitter and they have to deal with an emergency. or worse, client brings dog and theyre up north where there are few ER hospitals...

People, don't get a dog if you can't afford reasonable medical bills. Or, get insurance.

I haven't seen anything posted on job boards of that nature. I will admit I am a little intimidated by ER... my last job was a one doctor private practice. I think in the 11 months I was there we had 5-6 real emergency situations and 2 were DOA.
If you're on your way to vet school, I'd encourage you to try something you find a bit intimidating! ER is great experience to have in your back pocket and as long as you have the prerequisite of caring for the animal's well-being, you can be so helpful just by providing an extra set of hands.

As an example, I sat next to a hyperesthetic, neurologic dog for almost 2 hours recently while he was being stabilized, got him onto a cozy blanket, and tried to cover his ears to protect him from the noise that was making him worse. Calming him down helped the more experienced ER folks get a catheter in and get monitoring equipment on him. Don't need special training for that, only the desire to comfort an animal who's in trouble.

Don't sell yourself short!

They might not be actively advertising, but I'd def reach out to local ERs. As someone who works at one, having extra bodies that can half think and have basic familiarity with vet skills/terminology would be fantastic, haha.

Probably a bit iffy because of COVID, but even if not hiring you could also ask if they're taking shadows and beef up your application a bit with the spare time, too.

People, don't get a dog if you can't afford reasonable medical bills. Or, get insurance.

I am a bit more sympathetic after dumping just shy of $4k on my cat and that was with a 50% discount. She didn't have any surgery- 24 hours hospitalization, ultrasound, labwork and an endoscopy. Granted I expected it and had saved up, but had it been full price, I would not have been able to afford it (8k at full price).

Even veterinarians can't afford $8-10k at times. Even $4k is a stretch from some vets.

Yes, we deserve to be paid, yes the prices are fair, but I am more sympathetic now. Especially right now when a ton of people have lost income entirely.

I wouldn't yell/scream at anyone if I can't afford it, but it is sad that even those in our own profession, our own people, can't afford veterinary care.

And, yes, all future pets I own will have pet insurance, but you still have to pay that $8k up front and then wait for reimbursement, not something everyone can do. I didn't get insurance on my current cat as everything was pre-existing by the time I was seriously considering getting her insurance.

$250 isn't a ton of money for radiographs and an exam, very fair and should be able to be afforded, but it can be a stretch from some.

$250 isn't a ton of money for radiographs and an exam, very fair and should be able to be afforded, but it can be a stretch from some.
Agree with everything else you said. 2020 was a rough year for my family. We had 2 pets needing surgery within 3 months of each other each roughly $3000. The issue I mainly had was the fact that $250 isn’t THAT much and idk maybe don’t spend the money going out of town if you’re really stretched that thin?!? Just my two cents

Agree with everything else you said. 2020 was a rough year for my family. We had 2 pets needing surgery within 3 months of each other each roughly $3000. The issue I mainly had was the fact that $250 isn’t THAT much and idk maybe don’t spend the money going out of town if you’re really stretched that thin?!? Just my two cents

Oh 100% owner needs to decide what is the bigger priority --- out of town or making sure her dog doesn't have a current obstruction.

However, do we know why she is going out of town? Is it pleasure? It is it work? Is it a funeral? Sooo many reasons to be going out of town. If for pleasure, she needs a bit of a "fix" on the priority list, at least, I would put my pet before my vacation, but we can't make everyone think/feel that way. So owner will have to deal with the consequences of her choices. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink it.

I have been channeling my inner Elsa a LOT lately as a way to lessen my stress/depression/anxiety (just letting things go very quickly), I don't dwell on things much "this is what I recommend, if you can't do that, watch for this, if these occur, you have no choice but to do what I recommended to begin with." Then I move on to the next case and forget about the prior conversation.

Hopefully the dog doesn't have anything else going on and will be just fine.

I have been channeling my inner Elsa a LOT lately as a way to lessen my stress/depression/anxiety (just letting things go very quickly), I don't dwell on things much "this is what I recommend, if you can't do that, watch for this, if these occur, you have no choice but to do what I recommended to begin with." Then I move on to the next case and forget about the prior conversation.
Yup. Some cases I have my moment of internal rage, because I do see people who can't afford very basic care for their animals and it's not uncommon for it to be a new animal, but for the most part no matter how much I wish people would have insurance or savings or just a bit of sense about things, you just gotta roll with it. Nothing you or they can do about past decisions and circumstances in that moment. I use it as motivation to educate people about pet insurance in the future.

I convinced a lady to surrender a stray she found that she wasn't able to afford to care for - she had literally just found him, he badly needed a leg amputation, she wanted to just bandage it and see what happened. Nope nope nope. That was one I was willing to fight on. But when it's someone's animal and they can't afford things, you just do your best to work within their means, grumble a little about purchasing a $2000 puppy and not being able to pay for $30 vaccines, and then move on with your life.

I will say though, the ones who complain about the pricing and everything do bug me, but I get around that by largely not being the one to discuss estimates :laugh:

I definitely see red when someone has a new stupid expensive puppy and can't afford (or they claim they can't) vaccines. Like your situation didn't change overnight, you knew when buying said puppy you couldn't afford it. That **** pisses me off. But no amount of rage I have will change the situation so why make myself feel like ragey ****? Not worth it.

And the ones that complain and carry on and are jerks.... they get the dingus fee. No generic abx for you, I'm making you take name brand abx for being a jerk. I would've charged you the simple wound clean (for a really bad wound) had you been nice but since you weren't... you get the extensive one. Just little things I can do to stick it to the jerks.... things they would never notice.

• Haha
And the ones that complain and carry on and are jerks.... they get the dingus fee. No generic abx for you, I'm making you take name brand abx for being a jerk. I would've charged you the simple wound clean (for a really bad wound) had you been nice but since you weren't... you get the extensive one. Just little things I can do to stick it to the jerks.... things they would never notice.
Ha this is so true. It's not that I'm charging you more to be an dingus, it's just that I'm usually very lax with charges and that goes out the window ASAP if you're being a prick. Something took me 35 minutes to do and the anesthesia charge I'll usually round to the 0-30 range. You're a jerk? Nope, 31-60 minutes it is. Etc.

If you're on your way to vet school, I'd encourage you to try something you find a bit intimidating! ER is great experience to have in your back pocket and as long as you have the prerequisite of caring for the animal's well-being, you can be so helpful just by providing an extra set of hands.

As an example, I sat next to a hyperesthetic, neurologic dog for almost 2 hours recently while he was being stabilized, got him onto a cozy blanket, and tried to cover his ears to protect him from the noise that was making him worse. Calming him down helped the more experienced ER folks get a catheter in and get monitoring equipment on him. Don't need special training for that, only the desire to comfort an animal who's in trouble.

Don't sell yourself short!
Pot dog?