Rochester vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stayorleave123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some advice for Rochester vs. Jefferson. Rochester has the rankings, but Jeff has the extensive alumni connection. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be miserable stuck in the middle of nowhere for that long in Rochester.

I'm from Rochester so it wouldn't be that bad. Have a lot of people there still. Live in Philly now though and there is definitely more going on can't deny that. However, I know I can enjoy myself in both places. Really just concerned about my future here.

Members don't see this ad :)

Aww come on... we're the 3rd largest city in NY! :p

I'm a Rochester student (and not originally from anywhere near here!) so if you have any questions... let me know!

Rochester is growing tremendously. There's no question by the time that you finish your degree there, that it's ranking will move up even more. They are building a 50 million dollar translational research building and adding another 100 beds or so to the hospital. Yeah, there's not a ton to do there, but its a beautiful, safe city, with very affordable cost of living. Just thought I'd throw my opinion.

I have a love/hate relationship with the entire University of Rochester system, but overall it's a good school as I'm sure you know. It's very hit or miss depending on who you ask (just like most places), but UR has some great opportunities if you're willing to work.

I'm a bit tired of the area after 10 years though and think I'll try moving to another Rochester come July if nothing changes.

:)

:luck: with your decision.

Welcome to the last 21 years of my life?

:laugh:

Really though, it is no where NEAR as bad of an area as people make it out to be. We have a nice city, lots of events, amazing restaurants, a night club strip, a pub strip, etc. The only thing people may not like is that no one really lives 'downtown'. They just go downtown to eat/go out. Mainly everyone lives in the 'burbs surrounding the city.

lol I love the Rochester enthusiasm! As a Rochester guy myself love to see my thread turn into discussing the night life of Rochester. And you can't beat Wegmans right? But does anyone have any input on Rochester vs. Jefferson as far as an academic/residency/future aspect?

With the exception of Park Ave and areas surrounding both UofR and RIT. ;)

True but even that isn't really downtown. I guess it's "city". Park Ave is such a nice area though and my friend lives at the RIT app. complex. So nice.

I meant around the buildings directly downtown... you know... around the one that looks like a giant wrench? ;)

lol I love the Rochester enthusiasm! As a Rochester guy myself love to see my thread turn into discussing the night life of Rochester. And you can't beat Wegmans right? But does anyone have any input on Rochester vs. Jefferson as far as an academic/residency/future aspect?

Like I said above, I'm a Rochester student, a 2nd year. I did not apply to Jefferson, so I can't really do a comparison for you. I can tell you that I am so happy I made the choice to come to Rochester. The people fit w/ me, the curriculum fits w/ me. When I made my decision, I based it on the environment of the school, with respect to the people. I had never seen so many genuinely happy people (students and staff included) in a place that had the possibility of being so stressful. I love the small class size and how I can walk down a hallway and a professor knows my name. And nearing my 3rd year, I can honestly say I'm very comfortable being with patients and writing patient notes, even before stepping into 3rd year rotations.

Granted I am no where near residency, but I have heard from our 4th years past and present that the Rochester name is a well known and well liked one. But, I'm sure Jefferson is too... I tend to think residency is more about the individual, not the school, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.