Texas Tech El Paso (PLFSOM) vs. UTRGV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redstapler22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long-time lurker on SDN. I've pre-matched to UTRGV and Texas Tech El Paso and am torn. I would love to hear people's thoughts?

UTRGV
-Somewhat closer to home (from Austin area)
-Cheaper tuition (~$3000 per year)
-Smaller class
-Brand new school
-Near the beach

El Paso
-More established
-Located in bigger city
-More opportunities to do things outside?
-Good board scores
-Anatomy class uses cadavers (although I don't think this is a major factor)
-Major hospital

Both school have similar mission statements and emphasize primary care. Also,would any one choose either of these school over UTHSCSA?

Please help and thank you ever so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Cookie04

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long-time lurker on SDN. I've pre-matched to UTRGV and Texas Tech El Paso and am torn. I would love to hear people's thoughts?

UTRGV
-Somewhat closer to home (from Austin area)
-Cheaper tuition (~$3000 per year)
-Smaller class
-Brand new school
-Near the beach

El Paso
-More established
-Located in bigger city
-More opportunities to do things outside?
-Good board scores
-Anatomy class uses cadavers (although I don't think this is a major factor)
-Major hospital

Both school have similar mission statements and emphasize primary care. Also,would any one choose either of these school over UTHSCSA?

Please help and thank you ever so much!

If staying close to home isn't too big on your list, PLFSOM would be a good option. It is a more established school plus El Paso is a larger city with more to do while still embracing a similar culture as the valley. I wouldn't choose either school over UTHSCSA though, SA is a different feel and a different environment then the valley or El Paso.

redstapler22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the response! Anyone else have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)

redferrari

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about either The Valley or UTRGV, but I would go with PLFSOM since you really don't have much connection to either region. However, the tuition break at RGV would be tough to turn down.

El Paso is an awesome city, and there is a lot to do in both the city and surrounding region. Two hours from pseudo-skiing (Ruidoso), hour and a half from White Sands, and Las Cruces is known in the rodeo scene, so there's something for everybody. Also, El Paso has many festivals and is a neat cultural hub, and Sun City Music Festival is awesome. Again, I don't know enough about South Texas to really compare the two.

PLFSOM is also getting a brand new teaching hospital to complement the current facilities. To some, being a part of an inaugural class is meaningful. If you're among that group, RGV may be the better choice for you. However, PLFSOM has built a decent reputation in not such a long time, and you'd still get the chance to be a part of building a legacy there.

Also, you'd get to be in the same class as me at PLFSOM. (Hahaha I promise I'm really not that narcissistic, just sarcastic almost to a fault)

As I am OOS, I didn't seriously apply to UTHSCSA (just checked the box since there's no secondary and said a prayer haha) either, so I don't know enough about there either, although I've heard nothing but the best.

I wish you the best with your decision and in ten days you will have finality. :)

redstapler22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about either The Valley or UTRGV, but I would go with PLFSOM since you really don't have much connection to either region. However, the tuition break at RGV would be tough to turn down.

El Paso is an awesome city, and there is a lot to do in both the city and surrounding region. Two hours from pseudo-skiing (Ruidoso), hour and a half from White Sands, and Las Cruces is known in the rodeo scene, so there's something for everybody. Also, El Paso has many festivals and is a neat cultural hub, and Sun City Music Festival is awesome. Again, I don't know enough about South Texas to really compare the two.

PLFSOM is also getting a brand new teaching hospital to complement the current facilities. To some, being a part of an inaugural class is meaningful. If you're among that group, RGV may be the better choice for you. However, PLFSOM has built a decent reputation in not such a long time, and you'd still get the chance to be a part of building a legacy there.

Also, you'd get to be in the same class as me at PLFSOM. (Hahaha I promise I'm really not that narcissistic, just sarcastic almost to a fault)

As I am OOS, I didn't seriously apply to UTHSCSA (just checked the box since there's no secondary and said a prayer haha) either, so I don't know enough about there either, although I've heard nothing but the best.

I wish you the best with your decision and in ten days you will have finality. :)

Thanks a bunch! I decided to rank PLFSOM above UTRGV, so hopefully I'll see you next year!

Reactions: 1 user