UC Davis vs UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

helloyou582

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there hasn't been and updated thread about this for years, I'm assuming a lot has changed in terms of curriculum, new buildings, and infrastructure for these two schools.

I am completely torn between Davis and Irvine. During the interview days I was so preoccupied with doing well on MMI/ interviews that I didn't really pay attention to the presentations...

The obvious difference between the two are location. But I was wondering if anyone, especially currently students, could further elaborate on specific differences between the two schools, grading systems, 3rd year rotations, residency opportunities, step 1 scores...etc....

From what I've gathered, Davis is unique where they have a bunch of student run free clinics. But then, Irvine has free ipads! :)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

go to UCI. Location is pretty good, way better than Davis.

I personally liked UC Davis a lot lot better than UCI.

The school at UCD was much better integrated into the medical center than at UCI.

Also, for me... 7 or so student clinics >>> ipad

UCI is closer to the beach and is in socal though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both schools are of a similar caliber so go with whichever location fits you best (family, friends, familiarity, hobbies, etc)

Unless youre more interested in serving rural populations, irvine is the obvious choice

Unless youre more interested in serving rural populations, irvine is the obvious choice

Why? I'd say if beaches and SoCal are your thing, Irvine is the obvious choice. If not, the choice isn't so obvious. Davis has more student-run clinics, Davis is ranked 31 in NIH funding while Irvine is ranked 47, etc. Yes, Davis has an emphasis on rural and telemedicine, but it's also quickly becoming a major research institution. Sacramento may not be as nice as Irvine, but it's not a cowtown or a dump either....no, it's not 10 minutes from the beach, but it's the state capital, it's historic, it has a charming downtown/midtown area very close to the med school, it's got a beautiful 23 mile bike trail along the river, TONS of outdoor activities, a lower cost of living, not too much traffic, and it's close to wine country, SF, and some of the best skiing in the US.

Yes, I fell in love with Davis at my interview day. :love:

Reactions: 1 user
ipad is not free lol! It is included in tuition. No such thing as free in med school!

I am from SoCal and at Davis now. Here are my random thoughts:

Choose based upon where you want to spend the next four years and where you see yourself going. The schools are very similar in reputation. UCI has better integration with the main campus. UCD has better integration with the hospital and is nowhere near UC Davis. UCD has 100 kids in a class. I have no idea how many Irvine has. UCD is truly pass/fail first 2 years (unsure on anything UCI has but I am sure someone else on here can fill in that info for me). UCD does have a ton of free clinics and we get patient interaction very early on so you feel more comfortable being in clinic. Sacramento is way cheaper than Irvine. Irvine has better weather and is close to beaches. If you are from SoCal you probably have a better support system there. No real traffic up here. Close to San Francisco and Tahoe. Our school is still shiny and new and bright and it feels like ours since we aren't near any other students. Only an hour flight back to L.A. or a long boring 5-6 hour drive.

You will probably be happy either way. Not the worst decision to have to make. Give us more info. Where are you from (where did you do undergrad)? Were you happy there?

I probably would have picked UCI back then based upon location alone but am very happy I am here now. If I could have a do-over and an acceptance from UCI, I would choose UCD now even though I plan on practicing in SoCal when I graduate.

Hope this randomness helps!

p.s. If it is not difficult ask to attend classes for a day at each school. A lot of people have been doing that for the last month at our school and I think it will give you a more accurate feel. We are not trying to impress them and they get a good idea on what our day-to-day is like. Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them based on my opinion as a happy first year student.

Why? I'd say if beaches and SoCal are your thing, Irvine is the obvious choice. If not, the choice isn't so obvious. Davis has more student-run clinics, Davis is ranked 31 in NIH funding while Irvine is ranked 47, etc. Yes, Davis has an emphasis on rural and telemedicine, but it's also quickly becoming a major research institution. Sacramento may not be as nice as Irvine, but it's not a cowtown or a dump either....no, it's not 10 minutes from the beach, but it's the state capital, it's historic, it has a charming downtown/midtown area very close to the med school, it's got a beautiful 23 mile bike trail along the river, TONS of outdoor activities, a lower cost of living, not too much traffic, and it's close to wine country, SF, and some of the best skiing in the US.

Yes, I fell in love with Davis at my interview day. :love:

Coming from SF and living in SD for almost 6 years, socal has grew on me and has been a great place to live in. Irvine might not be SD but the weather, area, and the beach/ocean is a huge factor to consider. You are right by LA, SD, and 3 hours from the border. There is Big Bear if you like the snow but the ocean/beaches are great places to relieve stress and take your mind off everything. IMO, UCI and UCD are pretty equal but the location is not.

SF is still the greatest city in the world. :rolleyes:

ipad is not free lol! It is included in tuition. No such thing as free in med school!

I am from SoCal and at Davis now. Here are my random thoughts:

Choose based upon where you want to spend the next four years and where you see yourself going. The schools are very similar in reputation. UCI has better integration with the main campus. UCD has better integration with the hospital and is nowhere near UC Davis. UCD has 100 kids in a class. I have no idea how many Irvine has. UCD is truly pass/fail first 2 years (unsure on anything UCI has but I am sure someone else on here can fill in that info for me). UCD does have a ton of free clinics and we get patient interaction very early on so you feel more comfortable being in clinic. Sacramento is way cheaper than Irvine. Irvine has better weather and is close to beaches. If you are from SoCal you probably have a better support system there. No real traffic up here. Close to San Francisco and Tahoe. Our school is still shiny and new and bright and it feels like ours since we aren't near any other students. Only an hour flight back to L.A. or a long boring 5-6 hour drive.

You will probably be happy either way. Not the worst decision to have to make. Give us more info. Where are you from (where did you do undergrad)? Were you happy there?

I probably would have picked UCI back then based upon location alone but am very happy I am here now. If I could have a do-over and an acceptance from UCI, I would choose UCD now even though I plan on practicing in SoCal when I graduate.

Hope this randomness helps!
Thank you to everyone who has posted so far.

"You will probably be happy either way. Not the worst decision to have to make. Give us more info. Where are you from (where did you do undergrad)? Were you happy there?"

From San Diego and went to UC Berkeley for undergrad. Parents live in SD, but I also have family in the bay area. Absolutely love SF, but also miss the beaches of socal. I guess I should also mention I am a gay male, although gay scene doesn't seem to be very big at Irvine or Davis. Not so interested in rural medicine. More inclined towards ER, radiology or internal med.

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far.

"You will probably be happy either way. Not the worst decision to have to make. Give us more info. Where are you from (where did you do undergrad)? Were you happy there?"

From San Diego and went to UC Berkeley for undergrad. Parents live in SD, but I also have family in the bay area. Absolutely love SF, but also miss the beaches of socal. I guess I should also mention I am a gay male, although gay scene doesn't seem to be very big at Irvine or Davis. Not so interested in rural medicine. More inclined towards ER, radiology or internal med.

Not gay, but there seems to be a decent gay scene from what I can tell up here. Sacramento has a few clubs and I assume the proximity to SF helps. You seem like you probably have a good sense of both areas. The whole rural medicine thing doesn't matter unless you are interested in it. We don't really learn rural medicine unless you are in PRIME. I miss SoCal beaches. If you are in love with SF you could conceivably find time to go once a month in the first year at least.

:thumbup:

some significant changes to UCI......they are changing first two years back to H/P/F and they are making lectures mandatory. That is HUUUUGE impact. With options, I would never choose a school with those qualities. There are 104 students per class. We have a student run free clinic that is doing quite well. Although it is difficult to volunteer there in the beginning (MS1), attendance drops off dramatically 2nd year and beyond so you could volunteer there every week if you wanted.

Members don't see this ad :)
some significant changes to UCI......they are changing first two years back to H/P/F and they are making lectures mandatory. That is HUUUUGE impact. With options, I would never choose a school with those qualities. There are 104 students per class. We have a student run free clinic that is doing quite well. Although it is difficult to volunteer there in the beginning (MS1), attendance drops off dramatically 2nd year and beyond so you could volunteer there every week if you wanted.
I know that those were rumors about UCI, but has mandatory lecture attendance and H/P/F been confirmed?
Also...does Honors actually matter? Students always say it makes no difference, but...they "have" to say that if they don't really have any other choice.

Irvine over Davis any day man. Irvine is gorgeous. (Coming from a NorCal dude) A nice city to live in, and not too crazy to distract you. Plus, you have LA, SD, and the OC right next door. Orange County is awesome and LA is LA nuff said.

HOWEVER....if UCI is going HP, I would run to UCD with arms wide open.

If my support network = SoCal, I would suck it up and go UCI.

EDIT: My roommate (who was also accepted to MED and is from SOCAL) agrees.

If this is true then easier decision. The few mandatory classes we have are too many as it is. If it was fully mandatory a lot of people would be unhappy (I still go to class but am in the minority).

Also, it is hard to volunteer at the clinic as a first year? Crazy! Not many people volunteer after second year because they are already getting plenty of patient interaction. Probably half of our class is a director or officer at a clinic. If you are looking for a school based upon clinic come here. We actually have to go to clinic or a preceptor 4 times in year 1 as a requirement for our doctoring class.

Location and weather: Irvine. Sacramento is a decent city though and I like it.
Snowboarding: Tahoe over Big Bear

Grades!? Great if you are consistently in the top and like to compete. I love living in SoCal but that does not sound pleasant. Maybe I am just lazy. I would probably be better prepared when boards come around if I had to worry about grades but I am happy being able to manage my classes now without even more stress.

Idk why free clinics would play a part in the decision making process at all.

Mandatory lecture??????? F that.

I don't think mandatory lecture has been 100% confirmed.

From what I've been told, the message came from the mouth of the Deans that it would be happening starting next year. H/P/F is confirmed because they already changed it for the 2nd years this year. They will change it for the first years as well, regardless of the opinions of the students.

Last edited:
I know that those were rumors about UCI, but has mandatory lecture attendance and H/P/F been confirmed?
Also...does Honors actually matter? Students always say it makes no difference, but...they "have" to say that if they don't really have any other choice.

Honors only matters if you make it matter. I know for me it would not have changed my study habits and the way I approached my education. But, for some people it definitely it would. It definitely changes the atmosphere among the students. You can see teh difference between my class (no H/P/F) and the 2nd years now (who have H/P/F).

If this is true then easier decision. The few mandatory classes we have are too many as it is. If it was fully mandatory a lot of people would be unhappy (I still go to class but am in the minority).

Also, it is hard to volunteer at the clinic as a first year? Crazy! Not many people volunteer after second year because they are already getting plenty of patient interaction. Probably half of our class is a director or officer at a clinic. If you are looking for a school based upon clinic come here. We actually have to go to clinic or a preceptor 4 times in year 1 as a requirement for our doctoring class.

Location and weather: Irvine. Sacramento is a decent city though and I like it.
Snowboarding: Tahoe over Big Bear

Grades!? Great if you are consistently in the top and like to compete. I love living in SoCal but that does not sound pleasant. Maybe I am just lazy. I would probably be better prepared when boards come around if I had to worry about grades but I am happy being able to manage my classes now without even more stress.

I disagree. You'd be more worried about knowing the information that the lecturers want you to know, and less worried about learning information that is actually beneficial for your education and your patients. This includes any and all BS that has nothing to do with clinical medicine and is way outside the scope of anything you will be tested on for shelf exams or board exams. With P/F, you can ignore that stuff and study what is actually important, knowing that you will not be in danger of failing. If you are stressing about honoring, youll waste a considerable amount of time trying to learn that crap, which will take away from you learning things that are important.

I'm a norcal resident that went to UCI for undergrad, I'd probably go to Davis for medschool though. UCI is nice and all, I just feel that I'd probably get a better overall medical education at Davis with the med center being in Sacramento and all. Also its much easier to get Niners games on television while living in Norcal :p

I have many close friends that attend both UCI and Davis, and I would choose UCI hands down.

Last edited:
I would argue heading matters a lot. I'm at a school that had P/F m1 and grades m2, the atmosphere was night/day different.

I have many close friends that attend both UCI and Davis, and I would choose UCI hands down. Much greater opportunities and an amazing location.The irvine area is much nicer than Sacramento (honestly can't beat the scenic area, beautiful weather, beaches, social scene, etc). I've actually lived in Sacramento and kinda near Irvine, and was personally much happier at the latter. Also, while its cool that Davis has so many student-run clinics, it shouldn't really be an significant factor since students are generally only involved with one (and they don't spend a whole lot of time volunteering at them). Irvine's free clinic opportunities are really great too. From my experience, honors grading honestly matters very little, and I would argue, is actually beneficial in many ways. If you want to specialize, and don't have a huge interest in rural/underserved medicine, I would without a doubt choose Irvine. Both are great schools, but seems like UCI is definitely better suited for you.

EDIT: a couple of my friends at UCI are actively involved in the gay scene, and from what I've heard, they are very happy with their situation (a large, easily accessible community there, and people are generally very open/progressive about it). I don't know how Davis fares in that regard, but it seems more conservative, and I would absolutely NOT bank on the proximity to SF (you won't be heading there much trust me).

Well its just honors/pass/fail right?...so not completely stratified. (high pass, low pass)

I have many close friends that attend both UCI and Davis, and I would choose UCI hands down. Much greater opportunities and an amazing location.The irvine area is much nicer than Sacramento (honestly can't beat the scenic area, beautiful weather, beaches, social scene, etc). I've actually lived in Sacramento and kinda near Irvine, and was personally much happier at the latter. Also, while its cool that Davis has so many student-run clinics, it shouldn't really be an significant factor since students are generally only involved with one (and they don't spend a whole lot of time volunteering at them). Irvine's free clinic opportunities are really great too. From my experience, honors grading honestly matters very little, and I would argue, is actually beneficial in many ways. If you want to specialize, and don't have a huge interest in rural/underserved medicine, I would without a doubt choose Irvine. Both are great schools, but seems like UCI is definitely better suited for you.

EDIT: a couple of my friends at UCI are actively involved in the gay scene, and from what I've heard, they are very happy with their situation (a large, easily accessible community there, and people are generally very open/progressive about it). I don't know how Davis fares in that regard, but it seems more conservative, and I would absolutely NOT bank on the proximity to SF (you won't be heading there much trust me).

Responses to four bolded points:
I don't know what "greater opportunities" you get from either school.

Volunteering at clinic is different for each person. Some of my peers go every weekend. I personally barely go but I enjoy it when I do. Some people may find that they want a lot of clinic experience so I don't think one should discount it entirely. If you want a leadership opportunity in a clinic then Davis would be better. If clinics don't sound exciting then both schools are equal.

Everyone keeps implying that you have to be into rural or undeserved medicine to come to Davis. If you aren't in PRIME then you are learning the same anatomy, pathology, biochem as everywhere else. I never heard that people have a hard time specializing after going to Davis. I don't understand statements like these. We have lots of people wanting to specialize and we have a great teaching hospital literally across the street from the school.

I don't have much gay experience being a boring straight person but my experiences living near both areas are the opposite you describe. Orange County tends to be pretty conservative. Sacramento has a visible population of LGBT and even has claim to a few blocks in town known as Lavender Heights. I've seen many rainbow flags flying throughput sac. I feel you should probably ask other LGBT who live in those areas for more perspective on that aspect. Googling gay friendly Irvine does not bring up much except musings about how conservative OC is. (I think Laguna Beach which is not far is more gay friendly and obviously Long Beach which is further). Here is OC's voting pattern on Prop 8. Way to lazy to read this forum but more musings on being gay in the OC. On the other hand, I only know 1 student in my class and 2 students in the class above me that are gay (not saying there aren't others because I am usually bad at knowing these things). We do have some facilitators who are LGBT and we have already had many lectures on the LGBT community in regards to disparities in healthcare.

I am not attacking you Shjuna1, I am just giving my perspective too. I agree with many of your points. I think location is nice in Irvine and some people do enjoy having H/P/F. I think that Davis shouldn't be dismissed so easily. I do like Irvine and would have been happy there (all of my family is in L.A. and OC). I still think the OP has a tough decision but will probably be happy at both schools.

If you were able to, I recommend once again to spend a day or two at each school going to classes. This should give you a better feel.

Hope this helps!

Well its just honors/pass/fail right?...so not completely stratified. (high pass, low pass)

Among med students there are really two possible grading systems: pass-fail without ranking, and not pass-fail. It doesn't matter if you call it abcd, h/p/f, h/HP/p/f, it's all the same thing.

Grading systems that aren't pass fail (regardless what they are) add significant amounts of stress to the Pre-clinical years. That coupled with the fact that they aren't very important, means having a p/f school is very nice. Honestly I don't think it's as big a factor as the mandatory lecture thing; that'd be a dealbreaker for me.

Btw, the thing about having opportunities at UCLA and UCSD as well as UCI makes no sense. With traffic it's as far from orange/irvine to La jolla/ Westwood as it is from sac to palo alto/sf. Essentially, no one is going to seek out opportunities that far away regardless of school. I think there are good reasons to attend either school and you should do so based on your preferences. Keep in mind there are lots of people on the waitlists at both of these institutions who think your decision has the potential to benefit them.

some significant changes to UCI......they are changing first two years back to H/P/F and they are making lectures mandatory.

Mandatory lectures??? That's enough for me to vote UCD.

lol We have a lot more mandatory (small group) stuff this block to be fair here at Davis. The second years are barely around though so it must get better.

Responses to four bolded points:
I don't know what "greater opportunities" you get from either school.

Volunteering at clinic is different for each person. Some of my peers go every weekend. I personally barely go but I enjoy it when I do. Some people may find that they want a lot of clinic experience so I don't think one should discount it entirely. If you want a leadership opportunity in a clinic then Davis would be better. If clinics don't sound exciting then both schools are equal.

Everyone keeps implying that you have to be into rural or undeserved medicine to come to Davis. If you aren't in PRIME then you are learning the same anatomy, pathology, biochem as everywhere else. I never heard that people have a hard time specializing after going to Davis. I don't understand statements like these. We have lots of people wanting to specialize and we have a great teaching hospital literally across the street from the school.

I don't have much gay experience being a boring straight person but my experiences living near both areas are the opposite you describe. Orange County tends to be pretty conservative. Sacramento has a visible population of LGBT and even has claim to a few blocks in town known as Lavender Heights. I've seen many rainbow flags flying throughput sac. I feel you should probably ask other LGBT who live in those areas for more perspective on that aspect. Googling gay friendly Irvine does not bring up much except musings about how conservative OC is. (I think Laguna Beach which is not far is more gay friendly and obviously Long Beach which is further). Here is OC's voting pattern on Prop 8. Way to lazy to read this forum but more musings on being gay in the OC. On the other hand, I only know 1 student in my class and 2 students in the class above me that are gay (not saying there aren't others because I am usually bad at knowing these things). We do have some facilitators who are LGBT and we have already had many lectures on the LGBT community in regards to disparities in healthcare.

I am not attacking you Shjuna1, I am just giving my perspective too. I agree with many of your points. I think location is nice in Irvine and some people do enjoy having H/P/F. I think that Davis shouldn't be dismissed so easily. I do like Irvine and would have been happy there (all of my family is in L.A. and OC). I still think the OP has a tough decision but will probably be happy at both schools.

If you were able to, I recommend once again to spend a day or two at each school going to classes. This should give you a better feel.

Hope this helps!

interesting this lgbt thing is being brought up. as a 3rd year a lot of students live in long beach/belmont shore. There is a decently sized gay community, as well as gay bars throughout LB, which are a lot of fun. I'm also just now getting involved with a project that is reaching out to the LGBT youth in orange county.

apparently their reasoning is a re-interpretation of a rule set out by the ACGME back in the 50's. It apparnetly is only a CA rule, so look for other programs to follow the same route. according to our dean they had a conference call with all of the UC Dean's to address the 'problem' of attendance.

Irvine has a beautiful campus, and the city itself is beautiful, as I know because my parents live there. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either school, and congrats on getting into two great schools.

Irvine has a beautiful campus, and the city itself is beautiful, as I know because my parents live there. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either school, and congrats on getting into two great schools.

Correct! You're set, especially if you want to stay in California. I got rejected at Davis and WL at Irvine. Lots of people would love to have your problem!

I think academically and in name, the two schools are pretty much on par, so (assuming costs are equal) it comes down to the environment you found most comfortable.

Another thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is Irvine is close to the main campus while Davis is close to the Med Center.

Correct! You're set, especially if you want to stay in California. I got rejected at Davis and WL at Irvine. Lots of people would love to have your problem!

I think academically and in name, the two schools are pretty much on par, so (assuming costs are equal) it comes down to the environment you found most comfortable.
:thumbup:

Coming from SF and living in SD for almost 6 years, socal has grew on me and has been a great place to live in. Irvine might not be SD but the weather, area, and the beach/ocean is a huge factor to consider. You are right by LA, SD, and 3 hours from the border. There is Big Bear if you like the snow but the ocean/beaches are great places to relieve stress and take your mind off everything. IMO, UCI and UCD are pretty equal but the location is not.

+1. Grew up in the bay but live in SoCal now. Visit med students in Irvine all the time, and the area is beautiful and awesome. I agree that school wise, UCI and UCD are on par, but UCI's location takes it a whole another notch above Davis. Just imagine being able to hit the beach on a sunny weekend to destress and/or study. I'd really think about where you would be comfortable. Med school is hard so your setting matters a lot in making it enjoyable. Good luck with your decision man.

apparently their reasoning is a re-interpretation of a rule set out by the ACGME back in the 50's. It apparnetly is only a CA rule, so look for other programs to follow the same route. according to our dean they had a conference call with all of the UC Dean's to address the 'problem' of attendance.

Man, their reasoning sounds like complete BS. A lot of schools don't have attendance, and students do just fine. Actually, if my school has mandatory attendance, I'd probably flunk out haha.

Maybe its my naivete, but I can't see how mandatory lectures can be that detrimental. I understand every student has their own learning style, but going to lecture can't hurt too bad?

To be honest, in my undergrad I rarely went to lecture, but that was because I was lazy. Not saying that all people who choose to not attend lecture are lazy, but at the same time, maybe mandatory lectures will give students that extra push.

Side question, does anyone know how Davis or Irvine rank their students?

Maybe its my naivete, but I can't see how mandatory lectures can be that detrimental. I understand every student has their own learning style, but going to lecture can't hurt too bad?

To be honest, in my undergrad I rarely went to lecture, but that was because I was lazy. Not saying that all people who choose to not attend lecture are lazy, but at the same time, maybe mandatory lectures will give students that extra push.

Side question, does anyone know how Davis or Irvine rank their students?

I can see how mandatory lectures would be rough for some students. Personally, I often learn better from studying on my own than I do from attending lectures - it's just the type of learner I am (for me, active learning > passive learning). I'll admit I've had some great lecturers that have made me change my mind. That said, I'd like the option for the lecturers that don't fit into that category (since every hour spent in class is another hour that I can't apply my own learning strategies to absorb the material).

So it's confirmed that both 1st and 2nd year will be H/P/F at UCI now (this grading is already taking place at UCI?), or are they just continuing with the 2nd year as H/P/F?

don't know the answer to the ranking question, unfortunately. sorry!

RySerr is right about the grading policy changes. There hasn't yet been an official document summarizing these changes since the exact details are still being worked out. But all the policy meetings & faculty discussions indicate that the decision has already been made & that any final document will simply be a formality.

So, for grading, the history is as follows:

2010-2011: MS1 & MS2 P/F
2011-2012: MS1 P/F & MS2 H/P/F
2012-2013: MS1 & MS2 H/P/F

There is not currently a mandatory attendance policy, but the incoming MS1 class and the soon-to-be MS2s will have some form of officially recorded attendance. A caveat: the CA medical board rule requires attendance to 80% of overall scheduled course hours. This includes the already-mandatory labs & small group sessions as well as the built-in examination periods. So...it's not 100% mandatory attendance...but 80% is pretty rough. This 80% number is year-to-year, not over the course of the entire 4 year curriculum.

Students are ranked in percentile groups for the Dean's Letter (ie, top 5% or 10%, top 25%, etc).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...but I was looking at tuition the other night and noticed UC Irvine is ~35k and UC Davis is ~40k.

Did Davis increase in tuition or has it always been slightly more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.