UC Riverside vs TCMC

Started by pico510
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UCR vs TCMC


  • Total voters
    31

pico510

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was fortunate enough to receive an acceptance from UC Riverside School of Medicine. I was also invited to Interview at The Commonwealth Medical College earlier this month. I am debating whether or not I should attend this interview and I need your advice.

I know I might be a little bit ahead of myself since I haven't been accepted at TCMC yet but air tickets are expensive and I am also working full-time so my budget and schedule is very tight 🙁

Additional info: Both schools are fairly new with TCMC being established a few years earlier and ranked a little higher. I am from California so it also means IS vs OOS tuition.

Thanks,
 
Think of it this way: if you had acceptances to both, would you really give up an acceptance to a California school to go to a newly established school in nowheresville Pennsylvania? If the answer is no, then why bother with the expense?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Think of it this way: if you had acceptances to both, would you really give up an acceptance to a California school to go to a newly established school in nowheresville Pennsylvania? If the answer is no, then why bother with the expense?

Thanks for your reply Slcak3r. As far as I know, UCR school of Medicine was established very recently too and it has not graduated a class yet so I don't know how the graduate class will turn out. Location wise, I lean towards Socal more tho.

UC tuition all the way

I agree with you Piii. I'm gonna do a thorough research about financial aid for both schools.
 
I got into TCMC this year and from what I've heard and what I saw, it's an amazing school. The class sizes are super small, faculty care a ton and it's a family feeling. Scranton isn't super big, it's a smaller city but from the student's I've talked to including a few friends who are there now, there is plenty to do on the weekends. Pass/fail system is a +, and profs are super helpful. The only cons is that it's new and a solid chunk matches into IM so if you're gunning for that ortho/derm, then it may not be the best. Cost of tuition is approx 57k for OOS, 51k for IS, and the cost of living in Scranton is pretty cheap (I've seen 2 bedroom apts for about 800 total so 400/roommate). Hope it helps!