University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I knew someone who got pulled off the waitlist a week before school started.

Members don't see this ad.

Well in last year's thread, this is the week that 10+ MedScis got accepted, so hopefully we'll all hear back in the next few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are my chances of getting in here with a 3.2 cGPA 3.16 sGPA and a 26 mcat (7V 9P 10B)?

I have over 1000hrs clinical hours, a publication and 7 manuscripts. All this coupled with shadowing and community service

What are my chances of getting in here with a 3.2 cGPA 3.16 sGPA and a 26 mcat (7V 9P 10B)?

I have over 1000hrs clinical hours, a publication and 7 manuscripts. All this coupled with shadowing and community service

depends, are you a Texas resident?

if so, you may get an interview (but your GPA is REALLY on the low end), but I don't know about an acceptance. I would still apply (looking back, I wish I had applied to more schools). Goodluck :luck:

depends, are you a Texas resident?

if so, you may get an interview (but your GPA is REALLY on the low end), but I don't know about an acceptance. I would still apply (looking back, I wish I had applied to more schools). Goodluck :luck:

Yep Texas resident and I submitted 5/28/13

You might get an interview since you applied relatively early if you managed to put together a solid application. Keep in mind that the entering class statistics are:

28 MCAT, 3.57cGPA, 3.46sGPA

TCOM uses a scoring system to rank applicants based on cognitive (essentially your numbers) and non-cognitive values (everything else).

If you don't get accepted this cycle I would recommend applying to the SMP - it can do wonders for those of us with lower undergrad GPAs.

You might get an interview since you applied relatively early if you managed to put together a solid application. Keep in mind that the entering class statistics are:

28 MCAT, 3.57cGPA, 3.46sGPA

TCOM uses a scoring system to rank applicants based on cognitive (essentially your numbers) and non-cognitive values (everything else).

If you don't get accepted this cycle I would recommend applying to the SMP - it can do wonders for those of us with lower undergrad GPAs.

Thanks for the advice. I really hope I can get an interview, I know I'll be able to blow it out of the water if I do. I have given up all hope on MD schools, so I applied to TCOM and like 12 out of state DO schools. If all fails I plan in doing the med sci program at UNT

Accepted this afternoon by phone call!!!

OOS, 33, 3.80. Been praying for this since I interviewed here in July last year!

Edit: can somebody get me a link to the FB group?

Last edited:

OOS, 33, 3.80. Been praying for this since I interviewed here in July last year!

That is competitive for allopathic. Did you prefer DO?

That is competitive for allopathic. Did you prefer DO?

Didn't have a preference. I originally just applied to TCOM because it was on the TMDSAS. I've been shadowing a DO over the past year though and fell in love with it.

That said, TCOM is my only acceptance out of ~20 schools I applied to so I'm going. That's as complicated as it needs to be.

Wow, those are some super competitive stats. Congrats to you, especially given how difficult it is to get accepted into any Texas Medical School as an OOS applicant given the 90% rule. Im going to keep praying for that phone call.

Didn't have a preference. I originally just applied to TCOM because it was on the TMDSAS. I've been shadowing a DO over the past year though and fell in love with it.

That said, TCOM is my only acceptance out of ~20 schools I applied to so I'm going. That's as complicated as it needs to be.

Congratulations AtlasCarraway! Glad to see you on board!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, y'all! Already scrambling to figure out financial aid / housing arrangements...

Still rooting for you, coldweather.

Last edited:

Congrats! :claps:
To get FB access, you have to request it from Mike Kennedy. He'll verify who you are and he'll add you to the group.
See you next month! :)

Congrats Atlas! I am with ColdWeather, still waiting with baited breath for that phone call...

By the way, could someone who was accepted by phone PM me the number? I want to add it to my address book so I do not miss it

Congrats Atlas! I am with ColdWeather, still waiting with baited breath for that phone call...

By the way, could someone who was accepted by phone PM me the number? I want to add it to my address book so I do not miss it

It came thru as an unknown number for me (same as when Caroline called with my interview invite last June).

Congrats AtlasCarraway, hope to see you soon

To the LUCKY individuals that were accepted this year, is a DO letter absolutely necessary?

To the LUCKY individuals that were accepted this year, is a DO letter absolutely necessary?

It couldn't hurt. I got in and both of my letters were from MD's. it would be wise to at least shadow a DO for a little while if you don't have a DO letter

is a DO letter absolutely necessary?

That has never been a hard requirement to my knowledge. They know MDs are more numerous and it's hard to find a DO in some places.

Can anybody comment on the relative difficulty of getting scholarships as a medstud at TCOM? If OOS students get >1k in scholarships, they automatically qualify for in-state tuition rates. I'm definitely interested in anything that will allow me to save ~60k in loans over four years. I've heard there is a particularly large endowment for TCOM scholarships but wanted to get some confirmation on that.

Thanks!

don't take my word for it, I am NOT going to tcom, but all schools I interviewed at accept OOS students with the understanding that they will give at least $1000. it seems to be the norm in Texas. so perhaps it applies to Tcom. but I do not know. I can only speak for the schools I have interviewed at (TTL, Utmb, utsw)

tcom gives a $2K scholarship to pretty much anyone with passing grades who fills out an application. everyone i know who applied including myself got it.

The $2000 scholarship was not a scholarship but a grant. I was an OOS student for my first year and just got qualified for in state for my second year. I've had a handful of OOS students going to Texas MD schools. From what I've seen, most MD schools can give out scholarships to OOS but TCOM doesn't.

Most of my closest friends at TCOM are OOS students, and none of us had the scholarship that qualified us for instate tuition our first year. But all of us have been able to establish instate residence for second year for different reasons, either buying property, waving a wife work, or having a child. Those aren't the only things you can do, but just a few that my friends and I used to get instate. The school was really helpful in the process. I hope this helps.

in state, turned application in early july,
27 mcat
3.6 cGPA and sGPA
matched and will accept
nontrad student, military background, research, lot of volunteer hours, no DO LOR, only PhD

Reactions: 1 user