University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone getting accepted!! I know this has been asked a few times, but when will the facebook group be made?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call!!! It was a Lexington number so I thought it was Hertz calling to charge me more money. Haha could not be happier it was KYCOM!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone getting accepted!! I know this has been asked a few times, but when will the facebook group be made?

On our interview tour our tour guide said either a current student or a newly accepted student sets up the Facebook group. Maybe Samac would be willing to help us out and get the thing rolling? Or someone who is 100% committed to KYCOM?

The hype is currently too real, hoping for good news from all my interview friends!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On our interview tour our tour guide said either a current student or a newly accepted student sets up the Facebook group. Maybe Samac would be willing to help us out and get the thing rolling? Or someone who is 100% committed to KYCOM?

The hype is currently too real, hoping for good news from all my interview friends!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I have an exam Friday, if nothing is up by then I'll get the ball rolling. Congrats to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know about secondary app fee refund process for applicants who had to pay, despite of awarded an AACOMAS fee waiver?

Does anyone know about secondary app fee refund process for applicants who had to pay, despite of awarded an AACOMAS fee waiver?

From the portal you clicked through to pay:

If you are applying for an AACOMAS fee waiver, please wait for the AACOMAS final decision before submitting this secondary application. Once an application is submitted, application fee refunds cannot be processed.

The FaceBook group has been created. Ronnie sent an email out today with the link so check your email!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh i got in as well forgot to post this when Dr. Betz called!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also just a reminder to those in my interview cohort the deposit is due tomorrow(or at least i assume we all have the same due date). Not sure why but i had it in my head that we had a month... thank god i double checked.

Also just a reminder to those in my interview cohort the deposit is due tomorrow(or at least i assume we all have the same due date). Not sure why but i had it in my head that we had a month... thank god i double checked.

You probably thought it was 30 days because that's exactly what it says in the AACOMAS traffic guidelines:

AACOMAS traffic guideline schedule:
  • Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
  • Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
  • Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
  • Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.

plenty of us at the interview date just drove there. I drove 8 hours but others drove 5-6 hours. It was cheaper that way, I spent 120 in gas rather than the cost of plane ticket, rental car, and gas.

EDIT: the single gas station in pikeville was cheaper than other places by like 20 cents per gallon so I would fill up there before leaving.

Thank you! My dad said he'll drive, it's about 7 hours for me. And the plane ticket leaving the same day was 400 but leaving sunday was 260, so I was going to do 2 nights in a hotel but this works way better.

Thank you! My dad said he'll drive, it's about 7 hours for me. And the plane ticket leaving the same day was 400 but leaving sunday was 260, so I was going to do 2 nights in a hotel but this works way better.
No problem! Depending on where you are coming from, it shouldnt be too bad. The drive through the mountains is really gorgeous but I suggest leaving in the morning because it is not a drive you want to make at night.

Hey guys, on my portal it says my application is complete. It's been like this for almost a week, but I never received a complete email. This school sends out complete emails, right?

Hey guys, on my portal it says my application is complete. It's been like this for almost a week, but I never received a complete email. This school sends out complete emails, right?
I got a complete email

For the users that have interviewed, how long did it take you to receive an II after your application was complete?

Also, stupid question, but what does UP-KYCOM consider to be the "Appalachian Region"? I live in NC, so would I qualify?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can call but don't fret if they don't answer. I don't know if they're still in.

Do you think that applicants won't hear anything until the new year because of the holidays? Are administration/faculty still present over the break?

Do you think that applicants won't hear anything until the new year because of the holidays? Are administration/faculty still present over the break?
I know they're there for part of break but I think they're gone now through after Christmas. I can't comment on anything for sure though.

I know they're there for part of break but I think they're gone now through after Christmas. I can't comment on anything for sure though.

I called the office twice, no answer. Are most schools already gone for the break? :(

I called the office twice, no answer. Are most schools already gone for the break? :(
I can't speak for most schools, but today was the last day for teaching faculty. I can't comment on the admissions staff.

Dr. Betz told me over the phone that accepted students would receive a packet in the mail. Just contacted Mr. Collins because I never received anything in the mail and he said this was a mistake. All acceptance/admission stuff is via email this year.

Dr. Betz told me over the phone that accepted students would receive a packet in the mail. Just contacted Mr. Collins because I never received anything in the mail and he said this was a mistake. All acceptance/admission stuff is via email this year.
I was told that I would receive a package by snail mail as well. thanks for the info!

I was actually able to get ahold of admissions today, so I assume they're still there this week. I called, and they said my application is "complete and ready to be screened for an interview." But it's strange - still no complete email.

I was actually able to get ahold of admissions today, so I assume they're still there this week. I called, and they said my application is "complete and ready to be screened for an interview." But it's strange - still no complete email.
Good to know. Eh, sometimes things slip through the cracks. I wouldn't worry about not receiving a complete email. Best of luck!

Does anyone know when the background check and immunization information is due?

I just paid the deposit so hopefully I will get the email packet soon

II today thought they had forgotten about me, will be declining

Should I give them a call? My secondary file was submitted on Dec 1st, 2016 but I still haven't received any word from them yet or any other updates. It says my application is complete though.

Should I give them a call? My secondary file was submitted on Dec 1st, 2016 but I still haven't received any word from them yet or any other updates. It says my application is complete though.
My secondary has been complete since September and I still haven't received any word from them. I also just tried calling and no one was answering.

My secondary has been complete since September and I still haven't received any word from them. I also just tried calling and no one was answering.
Interviews today. They'd be with the candidates and not in the office. If your application is complete I'm not sure what they'd say.

Damn, that's rough. Cold Shouldered. Hopefully something good comes for us soon?

Interviews today. They'd be with the candidates and not in the office. If your application is complete I'm not sure what they'd say.
Is this typical of them? Do they do silent rejections? It's kind of unsettling not hearing anything from them for so long...