UVA vs. Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delicatefew24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to be so jealous of people who could even make these threads, but now I understand how tough this decision is. I am SO torn between these two schools and have been for a while. These schools both seem equally great academically and socially. My family is 2 hours away from UVA in DC so that is why UVA appeals to me, and I went to Vanderbilt as an undergrad so I am worried about staying in the same place for 4 more years. However, Charlottesville seems more of an undergrad focused, smaller town and Nashville is a bigger city with great culture. (Despite the current flooding)

Anyone have any insight on either of these schools? I would appreciate any help and opinions either way. I want to make the decision quick to free up a spot for someone! Thanks everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

well if you're family is in Virginia, i would imagine you qualify for IS tuition, which would likely save you a bunch of money. I know nothing else about UVA.

With that being said, when I interviewed, I thought Vanderbilt was amazing. The Center for Experiential Learning and Assessment (CELA) was incredible and the medical center quite nice as well. I also liked Nashville (i went out to some huge bar afterwards) and the proximity to the undergrad to attend sporting events and the gym and such. Pass/Fail (or i think its P/P*/F) seems pretty nice. I'm waitlisted at Vandy so I want to say go to UVA for the money, but if I were in your situation, I pick Vandy.

well if you're family is in Virginia, i would imagine you qualify for IS tuition, which would likely save you a bunch of money. I know nothing else about UVA.

With that being said, when I interviewed, I thought Vanderbilt was amazing. The Center for Experiential Learning and Assessment (CELA) was incredible and the medical center quite nice as well. I also liked Nashville (i went out to some huge bar afterwards) and the proximity to the undergrad to attend sporting events and the gym and such. Pass/Fail (or i think its P/P*/F) seems pretty nice. I'm waitlisted at Vandy so I want to say go to UVA for the money, but if I were in your situation, I pick Vandy.

Thanks for the quick response!! I'm actually not instate for either and money is not an issue (complicated) but thanks for the advice!! Not sure whats making this so hard to decide. I really appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick response!! I'm actually not instate for either and money is not an issue (complicated) but thanks for the advice!! Not sure whats making this so hard to decide. I really appreciate it

gotcha. again....i still don't know much about UVA, but i loved loved loved Vandy. (did i mentioned how much i loved vandy?).....oh and i forgot to mention....the students there seemed by far the happiest. i loved the student lounge area too....with all the pictures of the invitations to the years medical school balls/banquets.....seems like it would be an awesome time there.

Keep in mind i have no input to give you for UVA. good luck with your decision!

if money isn't an issue i'd go with vandy.

I think that proximity to family is pretty important. I've been in a different state than them for undergrad and there were a number of times when it would have been great to just meet up with them and have a casual lunch or something. It's also been hard to get back home for short holidays because of the distance, so that's annoying. I think that, during medical school, having a support group nearby will be especially important. I would personally choose UVA in your position, partially because I would want a change of scenery, but I could understand going to Vanderbilt.

I think that you will have the same research opportunities at both schools, and both are located on beautiful campuses with excellent general facilities (libraries, gyms, common-areas, etc.). Did you have a strong gut-feeling during your interview? Is Vanderbilt P/F like UVA is? Do they have a 1.5/2.5 year curriculum? Which school's teaching style do you prefer? I'm excited to be learning in the new medical education building because I like to be engaged during a lecture. I've also spoken with a number of UVA medical students who rave about the quality of their clinical rotations. Apparently the attendings at their clinical sites and the residents in Charlottesville make actual "teaching" a big priority during rotations, and they allow the students a great deal of responsibility in treating patients. I haven't looked into this for Vanderbilt though, so I'm not sure how they compare.

I can see why you're confused about this decision. Just comparing the two schools in my head, they end up being roughly equal. In your case, I think that (1) proximity to family and (2) the desire for a new environment point to UVA.

Did you go to the revisits, and did that help?

Are you happy with the year of rotations that will be done away from Charlottesville?

You say money is not an issue, so you have a free swing here. Go with your heart, or your gut...

UVA and Vanderbilt revisit days were on the same weekend.

Vanderbilt all the way. The students there seemed very happy.

Vanderbilt all the way. The students there seemed very happy.

So the UVA students didn't seem nice/happy? Just because UVA students don't say that they're happy over and over and over and over and over and over dosen't mean they're not.
Let's be real, Vanderbilt students can get very annoying with the whole, "And we are sooooo happy here" tidbit. Damn..ok..we get it..you're happy.

So the UVA students didn't seem nice/happy? Just because UVA students don't say that they're happy over and over and over and over and over and over dosen't mean they're not.
Let's be real, Vanderbilt students can get very annoying with the whole, "And we are sooooo happy here" tidbit. Damn..ok..we get it..you're happy.

wow. something or someone rubbed you the wrong way.

regarding student happiness, i don't ask about student happiness. it is rather apparent/obvious when speaking with current students or watching them interact with others.

I'm attending UVa next year and was waitlisted at Vanderbilt. I had a fantastic time when I visited Vandy for my interview and considered it my top choice for a bit, but after finishing interviews and reflecting on what I want from medical school, it dropped on my list.

Some cool things I liked about Vanderbilt: the hospital system was connected on one campus, the fancy anatomy lab (even though we didn't see it), a chill and happy student body (two friends are first years, so I got to chill with a lot of people downtown the night before), very friendly and supportive administration (the Wellness retreat is a cool idea), enthusiastic lecturers and facilities (sat in on a couple classes), some neat programs in the curriculum, Nashville was actually pretty decent, great Step 1 scores, the global health program seemed pretty good. Vandy's price is pretty good for a private school, too. The only immediate hesitations I had was about Nashville's location (I'm a big beach person, being that far from the coast and in CST is meh) and the fact that they limited the number of first years who could get funding for an international project this summer (I think to ~20 people).

However, I found a number of these positive qualities at other schools. The biggest draw I had to Vandy was how happy and chill the student body was, but I found they were equally chill at Emory when I interviewed. I didn't meet students at UVa (didn't stay with a host), but Second Look showed me the same thing with them. UVa's administration and faculty seem just as supportive. The biggest thing for me is UVa's switch next year to the 1.5 curriculum. If it wasn't for us being the first ones to go through the changes, I think the curriculum would be my favorite in the country. Condensed pre-clinical, Step 1 before rotations start, you choose when you want your research time during the fourth year, and best of all, as much elective time as you want. Vandy's 3rd year is actually relatively rigid. For someone who has no idea what they want to do (me), a great deal of elective time appeals to me. I could also do a global health project that'd last much longer than Vandy's 1st summer. The new building and teaching style is pretty sweet, too. The away rotations are a drag, but you get better training there and they set you up with housing / food, so that's nice.

I think it comes down to the flexibility of UVa's curriculum / more Eastern location versus the conveniently connected Vandy hospitals / higher Step 1s / more tested curriculum. What factors do you like more? For me, it was UVa's.

(For transparency, Emory and UVa were my favorite schools after interviewing / reflection. Location and the condensed curricula were the main reasons - I have mixed feelings about Duke's 1 year strategy.)

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing I liked better about UVA was the shortened preclinicals (which is a pretty big deal). Definitely did not like the mandatory away rotations.

That being said, I loved both schools and am extremely jealous of you, OP. :laugh: Good luck.

wow. something or someone rubbed you the wrong way.

regarding student happiness, i don't ask about student happiness. it is rather apparent/obvious when speaking with current students or watching them interact with others.

nah...just stating my opinion. I don't ask about happiness level either.

I also interviewed at both and liked UVA better. UVA is true P/F for both pre-clinical years, whereas Vandy is only P/F for year 1. UVA has the new curriculum and the new building. I found the interviewers, admissions staff, and financial aid staff much more congenial at UVA than Vandy...whether that translates over into day-to-day interactions as a med student...who knows, but it makes an impression. Also, C'ville>Nashville, but that's just a personal opinion.

Lots of people love Vandy though too, just wasn't a good fit for me personally.

I also interviewed at both and liked UVA better. UVA is true P/F for both pre-clinical years, whereas Vandy is only P/F for year 1. UVA has the new curriculum and the new building. I found the interviewers, admissions staff, and financial aid staff much more congenial at UVA than Vandy...whether that translates over into day-to-day interactions as a med student...who knows, but it makes an impression. Also, C'ville>Nashville, but that's just a personal opinion.

Lots of people love Vandy though too, just wasn't a good fit for me personally.

vandy is definitely pass/faill (or pass/pass */fail) for the first two years

Status
Not open for further replies.