2019-2020 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I take it that if you were not given an offer in the December batch then chances are pretty slim of receiving an offer in February? This is tough, I really like Vandy/Nashville
Also am wondering the chances from a deferment. I loved vandy/its my top choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II Last week :3
Low key can’t believe I got one haha this is my only other OOS II this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
So I take it that if you were not given an offer in the December batch then chances are pretty slim of receiving an offer in February? This is tough, I really like Vandy/Nashville
Also am wondering the chances from a deferment. I loved vandy/its my top choice.
I think there are quite a number of people who are deferred in December and get accepted in February. They also said on interview day that they take a lot of people off the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you any good at love letter writing and sacrificial ceremonies?
Well obviously not, they didn't like my love letter I sent a month ago :(

• Sad
Well obviously not, they didn't like my love letter I sent a month ago :(
Try another one in January! They wrote on their interview day sheet that multiple interest letters are fine. It said something like you’re welcome to send one post-interview, and then maybe one more closer to decision release.

• Wow
  • Sad
I thought Vandy gives 70% scholarships only.
I'm confused because the scholarship they told me is listed as full tuition online (Cornelius Vanderbilt), but its only a little over $40,000 a year. On MSAR, that's what they say full tuition is, but not including like almost $15,000 in fees associated with tuition. Quite confusing.

I'm confused because the scholarship they told me is listed as full tuition online (Cornelius Vanderbilt), but its only a little over $40,000 a year. On MSAR, that's what they say full tuition is, but not including like almost $15,000 in fees associated with tuition. Quite confusing.
Looks like full tuition scholarship is new. Website says " In 2019-2020, students were offered both 75% tuition and full tuition awards. " Website says tuition is $58K. Yeah, it's confusing!

I think you accidentally looked at the undergrad scholarship by the same name (that’s what I did lol)

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R as well. After seeing their averages for shadowing, volunteering, and research hours prior to applying, I figured either your parents were doctors and you decided to become a doctor while a freshman in high school, or you took a year off before, during, or after getting your undergrad degree, or you had military or some other non-traditional experience such as a Masters degree or working as an RN or other health professional before applying. Congrats to all who got into Vandy! I'm into at least one med school and its a great school and have several more to hear back from that I interviewed with, so no matter what the future is bright, and I also know my individual effort will determine my future.

What info are you talking about? Where did you see the stats.

What info are you talking about? Where did you see the stats.
There’s an infographic regarding their acceptances/matriculates. I remember seeing it and thinking to myself those numbers must have been manipulated, tailored, non-statistically accurate, “fine print” claused, etc. I don’t know exactly what went on but I am almost certain those numbers aren’t representative of their students.

There’s an infographic regarding their acceptances/matriculates. I remember seeing it and thinking to myself those numbers must have been manipulated, tailored, non-statistically accurate, “fine print” claused, etc. I don’t know exactly what went on but I am almost certain those numbers aren’t representative of their students.

Oh, but those numbers can be over several years.

I have a few questions about merit aid and need-based aid.

As I understand it, Vandy's merit awards cover either 75% tuition or 100% tuition, and NOT the actual total cost of attendance, correct? So in theory, if awarded one of these merit scholarships, most people would still have to take out loans to cover the indirect costs as outlined in their website's Cost of Attendance page. They say indirect costs (housing, food, medical insurance, etc) average about $34,000 each year (which seems a bit high, can any students shed some light on this?) This means about 120K in debt post-graduation even with a merit scholarship. So if you're a student or someone with inside knowledge, I have some questions!

1. Can students who get merit scholarships also qualify for need-based grant (i.e., non-loan) scholarships?
2. I know some schools like Yale and Mt. Sinai cap loans for students with demonstrated financial need. For example, a student from a low-income family with a very low or zero EFC (expected family contribution) would get their loans capped at 15K per year at Yale, meaning they graduate with only 60K in debt (covering total cost of attendance). Does Vandy do anything like this? edit: it looks like they probably don't cap loans as their website says need-based awards were awarded up to 20% of a student’s demonstrated need. So it looks like the max need-based grant awards are probably like 20K per year.

Last edited:
I have a few questions about merit aid and need-based aid.

As I understand it, Vandy's merit awards cover either 75% tuition or 100% tuition, and NOT the actual total cost of attendance, correct? So in theory, if awarded one of these merit scholarships, most people would still have to take out loans to cover the indirect costs as outlined in their website's Cost of Attendance page. They say indirect costs (housing, food, medical insurance, etc) average about $34,000 each year (which seems a bit high, can any students shed some light on this?) This means about 120K in debt post-graduation even with a merit scholarship. So if you're a student or someone with inside knowledge, I have some questions!

1. Can students who get merit scholarships also qualify for need-based grant (i.e., non-loan) scholarships?
2. I know some schools like Yale and Mt. Sinai cap loans for students with demonstrated financial need. For example, a student from a low-income family with a very low or zero EFC (expected family contribution) would get their loans capped at 15K per year at Yale, meaning they graduate with only 60K in debt (covering total cost of attendance). Does Vandy do anything like this? edit: it looks like they probably don't cap loans as their website says need-based awards were awarded up to 20% of a student’s demonstrated need. So it looks like the max need-based grant awards are probably like 20K per year or 80K in total?
they said at interviews you qual for one or the other, not both

Can anyone who has interviewed tell me what the open-file interviewer has access to? Just primary, or secondary as well? And what time of day are the interviews typically held? Thanks!

• Inappropriate
Can anyone who has interviewed tell me what the open-file interviewer has access to? Just primary, or secondary as well? And what time of day are the interviews typically held? Thanks!

There is one closed file interview and one open file (they can see everything, both primary and secondary). IIRC, the interviews took place after the intro session, so pretty early in the morning.

Anyone know if there's a possibility of still getting the merit scholarship after the initial acceptance? if one has a major update post acceptance (e.g. first author pub in high impact journal or something like that)

when can we roughly expect the next round of acceptances to go out?

For those of you who have been accepted, have your portals updated yet? I remember getting an email saying they should update sometime this week.

For those of you who have been accepted, have your portals updated yet? I remember getting an email saying they should update sometime this week.
not yet :) i'm sure it'll happen soon. I think the email also said we should receive "official" acceptance letters via email this week? or something

I know it's early but if anyone else is sure that they're coming here and is already thinking about roomies, I'm interested

Non traditional male, PM for more deets :D

Last edited:
Has anyone received the official acceptance email and/or portal change?

I got an email that said that they were expecting to have had it done by Jan 15th, but that didn't happen and I haven't received any new info. Want to make sure that its not just me :)

Has anyone received the official acceptance email and/or portal change?

I got an email that said that they were expecting to have had it done by Jan 15th, but that didn't happen and I haven't received any new info. Want to make sure that its not just me :)
Same here. I’m sure they’ll notify us once it’s up

Any word on when the February acceptances will start?

Can someone describe their interview day experiences? Feel free to PM!

just had my interview day yesterday! It was really laid back and informal. I enjoyed both interviews (one is blinded of your application—ethical/behavioral questions the other is pretty traditional). All the students were really nice and outgoing and definitely go to the pizza party the night before! Really got to know and hang out with the interviewees. Definitely wouldn’t stress this interview out, just glance over your application

Hi I applied MSTP and havent heard back about a ii yet. I know they have two dates in Feb. Would it be normal to reach out to admissions and see if there is any hope or should I just wait it out?

Does anyone have any idea where most of the med students live - names of apt complexes, etc.?

Has the portal updated for anyone yet? I think they're still working on it but I just want to make sure haha

I haven't gotten an update yet either

Reactions: 4 users
did anybody who got a Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarship get another email today about it? Just like... telling me I got it again?

Do they typically send a response when you email a LOI?