Vanderbilt vs. WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctaK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

What are your thoughts on Vanderbilt vs. WashU. I've been accepted to both and am having a tough time choosing. I'm not a huge fan of St. Louis, but I don't know a ton about Nashville. Also, WashU is technically more "prestigious," if you think US News Rankings are worth anything, which I don't particularly. I really enjoyed my interview day at both however. What are your thoughts with regards to academic preparation and overall quality of life at both places?

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

they are close, do you have any financial aid/scholarship information yet?

Wait for the monies before you decide. That's what I'm doing. They are both amazing and I totally understand your confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received any financial info yet, but I'm about to submit my FAFSA and NeedAccess forms this week. Do you guys know when we should get our finaid packages?

Also, can anyone comment on academic prep. and student happiness/quality of life at the two schools?

I haven't received any financial info yet, but I'm about to submit my FAFSA and NeedAccess forms this week. Do you guys know when we should get our finaid packages?

Also, can anyone comment on academic prep. and student happiness/quality of life at the two schools?

Vandy switched to a new curriculum a few years ago. and the "test dummy" class according to their dean averaged 245 or so on Step 1.

Vandy switched to a new curriculum a few years ago. and the "test dummy" class according to their dean averaged 245 or so on Step 1.

i wouldnt choose a school based on its average step scores. ask yourself where you want to spend the next 4 years of your life.

i wouldnt choose a school based on its average step scores. ask yourself where you want to spend the next 4 years of your life.

yea, but he was asked a question about academic preparation.

yea, but he was asked a question about academic preparation.

oh yea good point. im sure both schools prepare you fine. im sure all us med schools do. its gonna be what you put into out. the info is all out there and given to you.

Hey all,

What are your thoughts on Vanderbilt vs. WashU. I've been accepted to both and am having a tough time choosing. I'm not a huge fan of St. Louis, but I don't know a ton about Nashville. Also, WashU is technically more "prestigious," if you think US News Rankings are worth anything, which I don't particularly. I really enjoyed my interview day at both however. What are your thoughts with regards to academic preparation and overall quality of life at both places?

Thanks for the input!
Both are great schools with good reputations. Prestige is in the eye of the beholder, and I don't think that the difference in prestige (if there is any) is sufficient to be a deciding point. In terms of "quality of life", that is also an individual determination. But my anecdotal experience is that there are more med students and residents who view Nashville as a great place to live. But maybe I hang out with the wrong crowd... You really can't lose with either school. But work hard- a mediocre performance at a great school will negate some of the prestige associated with attending that school.

I don't know Wash U too well but my two friends at Vandy are really laid back. Heard that it's a good atmosphere, class bonds well.

Both are obviously really good schools. I'd go to the one that has a better financial aid package.

Both are obviously really good schools. I'd go to the one that has a better financial aid package.

That's what I did, and it worked out incredibly well for me. Good luck with your decision; both are great schools!

thanks for all the feedback so far! financial concerns are definitely huge in this process, so i'll definitely keep that in mind as i get more information on that stuff. can any current vandy students weigh in on things like nashville, quality of life, class dynamics, curriculum thoughts?

245 - the class average? I seriously doubt that. Sounds like an urban myth. Vanderbilt has a bright student body, but I don't think any med school in the country averages 245.

245 - the class average? I seriously doubt that. Sounds like an urban myth. Vanderbilt has a bright student body, but I don't think any med school in the country averages 245.

students said it while i was there. Also heard Vandy was tops in board scores last year and always in the top 3/

students said it while i was there. Also heard Vandy was tops in board scores last year and always in the top 3/

Important to remember though that there is NO WAY to verify this information. This has been beaten to death elsewhere, but each school can "play" with these numbers until they are all "above the average." Just drop this one because of reason x or consider "the scores we have received to this point" and you get a completely different number.

Let the school put their money where their mouth is and make the decision using factors that will actually affect you as a potential student. You can get a great Step 1 score anywhere, and I doubt highly the (honest) averages of the two schools are so far apart that you will be at a detriment to pick one over the other considering this fact alone.

:luck:

You can get a great Step 1 score anywhere, and I doubt highly the (honest) averages of the two schools are so far apart that you will be at a detriment to pick one over the other considering this fact alone.

good point

Important to remember though that there is NO WAY to verify this information. This has been beaten to death elsewhere, but each school can "play" with these numbers until they are all "above the average." Just drop this one because of reason x or consider "the scores we have received to this point" and you get a completely different number.

Let the school put their money where their mouth is and make the decision using factors that will actually affect you as a potential student. You can get a great Step 1 score anywhere, and I doubt highly the (honest) averages of the two schools are so far apart that you will be at a detriment to pick one over the other considering this fact alone.

Agreed. It is kind of like the old saying: "Every child is above average." There is no way to verify this information or statements such as Vandy is in the top three. It is anecdotal and hearsay.

What we do know is that Vandy is a top school with a great faculty, facilities, and a bright student body. The same thing could be said about Wash U. It is a personal decision based on financial aid and fit.

Wait for the financial aid information. Both are tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.