West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yo anyone got the secondary prompts?

I emailed them and admissions told me there is an issue on their end. It should be sent before the end of August

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

They just tweeted this at me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What were last years questions?

I think these were the prompts from last year:

short 500 character essays:

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.

4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?

5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? Optional brief comments about your study habits:

6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.

5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? Optional brief comments about your study habits:

6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

Can someone verify?

I never claimed that those are the secondary questions for this year. Those are last years prompts.
I think the poster just meant no one can confirm those are the same as this year, let's all relax and be friends!

I never claimed that those are the secondary questions for this year. Those are last years prompts.

I mean that we can't verify as in those prompts will be the same this year.

Reapplicant here to WVSOM. I was deferred after submitting the secondary and just received an email (hopefully in error) that I am on hold pending official MCAT scores (which are already PDFs on my AACOMAS verified application).

The above are the questions from last year as well as:
7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

---
MC questions:
8. We are interested in how strongly you would like to work in an urban environment as well as your intention to work in a rural area. Please answer both questions by checking the circle nearest your desire.

1. Intention to work as a physician in a rural environment:
    I have absolutely no intention of working in a rural environment.
    I have no intention of working in a rural environment any more than I have to.
    I do not intend to work in a rural environment for more than just a brief time.
    I can see more disadvantages than advantages to working in a rural environment.
    I can see an equal number of advantages and disadvantages to working in a rural environment. I can see more advantages than disadvantages to working in a rural environment.
    I intend to spend a significant part of my career in a rural environment.
    I intend to work mostly in a rural environment.
    I intend to spend the vast majority of my time working in a rural environment
    I intend to work only in a rural environment.

2. b) Intention to work as a physician in an urban environment:
    I have absolutely no intention of working in an urban environment.
    I have no intention of working in an urban environment any more than I have to.
    I do not intend to work in an urban environment for more than just a brief time.
    I can see more disadvantages than advantages to working in an urban environment.
    I can see an equal number of advantages and disadvantages to working in an urban environment.
    I can see more advantages than disadvantages to working in an urban environment. I intend to spend a significant part of my career in an urban environment.
    I intend to work mostly in an urban environment.
    I intend to spend the vast majority of my time working in an urban environment.
    I intend to work only in an urban environment.

9. Health care/volunteer experience:
    a) About how many hours have you worked or volunteered in a health-related field: None, 1-50 hrs, 51-100 hrs, More than 100 hrs
    b) About how many hours have you volunteered in areas outside health care? None, 1-50 hrs, 51-100 hrs, More than 100 hrs
    c) Optional: brief comments about your volunteer experience: (500 characters)

10. Have you been convicted of an infraction of local laws or city ordinances, summary offenses, misdemeanors, or felonies that are not listed on your AACOM application?

11. Do you qualify for the Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 for application as an in-state student? Yes, No

12. Have you ever participated in an activity with WVSOM? Check all that apply: Open House, Campus Visit, High School Anatomy Visit Mini Medical School Visit Summer Internship, Other
Edit: sorry for the bad formatting. copying and pasting from a saved PDF is hard on SDN :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email from admissions saying that my application was placed on hold because they don't have my MCAT scores....but I released my scores to AACOMAS and AACOMAS received them and sent them out to all my schools, yet WVSOM is the only one that has not received them?

Is anyone in a similar situation?

I just got an email from admissions saying that my application was placed on hold because they don't have my MCAT scores....but I released my scores to AACOMAS and AACOMAS received them and sent them out to all my schools, yet WVSOM is the only one that has not received them?

Is anyone in a similar situation?

Yes. I think everyone will be on hold until they send out the first batch of secondaries

Reactions: 1 user
Hm, I did not get an email like this. At least it's a sign things are moving!

Yes. I think everyone will be on hold until they send out the first batch of secondaries
I just got the same email (sad face). And, I don't know why. I've gotten "application complete" and several Secondaries from other schools. So, I hope this is only related to their "tech issue" and resolved in a timely manner. Lucky for those who are not part of this issue (high-five to you guys!). Anyone out there had the same email and contacted the admissions office? If so, was there a response to this? I would appreciate any insight from those who have spoken to the Admin Office about this :)

Real talk: contact admissions, they are probably the nicest people I have ever met.

Real talk: contact admissions, they are probably the nicest people I have ever met.
Thank you so much! Great idea! I called after seeing your post, earlier today, but I missed them. So, I left a message. Will follow-up tomorrow morning to make sure they got my message.

Reapplicant here to WVSOM. I was deferred after submitting the secondary and just received an email (hopefully in error) that I am on hold pending official MCAT scores (which are already PDFs on my AACOMAS verified application).

The above are the questions from last year as well as:
7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

---
MC questions:
8. We are interested in how strongly you would like to work in an urban environment as well as your intention to work in a rural area. Please answer both questions by checking the circle nearest your desire.

1. Intention to work as a physician in a rural environment:
    I have absolutely no intention of working in a rural environment.
    I have no intention of working in a rural environment any more than I have to.
    I do not intend to work in a rural environment for more than just a brief time.
    I can see more disadvantages than advantages to working in a rural environment.
    I can see an equal number of advantages and disadvantages to working in a rural environment. I can see more advantages than disadvantages to working in a rural environment.
    I intend to spend a significant part of my career in a rural environment.
    I intend to work mostly in a rural environment.
    I intend to spend the vast majority of my time working in a rural environment
    I intend to work only in a rural environment.

2. b) Intention to work as a physician in an urban environment:
    I have absolutely no intention of working in an urban environment.
    I have no intention of working in an urban environment any more than I have to.
    I do not intend to work in an urban environment for more than just a brief time.
    I can see more disadvantages than advantages to working in an urban environment.
    I can see an equal number of advantages and disadvantages to working in an urban environment.
    I can see more advantages than disadvantages to working in an urban environment. I intend to spend a significant part of my career in an urban environment.
    I intend to work mostly in an urban environment.
    I intend to spend the vast majority of my time working in an urban environment.
    I intend to work only in an urban environment.

9. Health care/volunteer experience:
    a) About how many hours have you worked or volunteered in a health-related field: None, 1-50 hrs, 51-100 hrs, More than 100 hrs
    b) About how many hours have you volunteered in areas outside health care? None, 1-50 hrs, 51-100 hrs, More than 100 hrs
    c) Optional: brief comments about your volunteer experience: (500 characters)

10. Have you been convicted of an infraction of local laws or city ordinances, summary offenses, misdemeanors, or felonies that are not listed on your AACOM application?

11. Do you qualify for the Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 for application as an in-state student? Yes, No

12. Have you ever participated in an activity with WVSOM? Check all that apply: Open House, Campus Visit, High School Anatomy Visit Mini Medical School Visit Summer Internship, Other
Edit: sorry for the bad formatting. copying and pasting from a saved PDF is hard on SDN :(
This is GREAT!!! Thanks!

From WVSOM Admissions Twitter on July 29th: "Secondary's went out yesterday, but not perfectly. Some ppl received a no MCAT email by accident. We're working to fix this." Can anyone confirm receiving a secondary?

From WVSOM Admissions Twitter on July 29th: "Secondary's went out yesterday, but not perfectly. Some ppl received a no MCAT email by accident. We're working to fix this." Can anyone confirm receiving a secondary?
I have not received anything from them yet :(

GUYS NO. It's 'femme' go blue like 'M' go blue. Like U of M. Go blue? No one?

Anyone taking the chance and prewriting based on last years?

@femmegoblue I got it the first time I read it! But probably only because we may be fellow alum :)

I just got an email saying that my application was placed on "Decision Deffered" because my MCAT was out of date? However my most recent MCAT was in July of 2014?

I just got an email saying that my application was placed on "Decision Deffered" because my MCAT was out of date? However my most recent MCAT was in July of 2014?

+1

Please let me know if you find anything out about this?? :(

I may be wrong but if you took the MCAT in 2014 it could be that your mcat will expire by the time you potentially matriculate know their 3 year rule. Id contact the school asap.

+1

Please let me know if you find anything out about this?? :(

Just called admissions. Their system has been buggy and sent the email by mistake. They are accepting ALL 2014 MCATs. You should call them and mention it.

Just called admissions. Their system has been buggy and sent the email by mistake. They are accepting ALL 2014 MCATs. You should call them and mention it.

Phew. Glad that was the case! Its a great school. Good luck!

Hi, when and if any WVSOM alumni stroll by this post:

Based on your opinion and your observations thus far, how receptive is the school to older applicants—career changer-types?

I'm a current 2nd year student at WVSOM. I'm turning 36 next month, and there are a few others in my class older than me (40ish). They appreciate life experience.

Did they say that they will send a new email once the problem is fixed?

Update on the secondary situation!

I spoke to Julian Arbaugh an admissions councillor and was told that they are still having technical issues with sending secondaries. They thought that secondaries would be sent the first week of August, but now it is indefinite. They will get them as soon as they can and will use alternative methods if need be.

It's nothing on our end, but an issue with the program that sends secondaries