2008-2009 UC Davis Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
500 characters each

1. How do you envision your life as a physician?

2. What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that prepare you for a medical

3. How will you contribute to and enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community?

4. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know?

Experiences (3 Total) - 750 Character Max

Briefly describe this activity and its significance.
How did it prepare you for a medical career?
Include any supporting information
(e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as
well as links to any publication, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was at a pre-med conference where there was an ad-com from UC Davis a few months ago. He was saying that they had such a huge volume of applications last year they could barely get through them and thats why they didn't start handing out acceptances until mid march. He also said their fix was that they were planning on doing more extensive screening pre-secondary, so thats probably whats taking so long.

So, when I go into the UC Davis SOM site, I can sign in to the 2009 year, but it has all my 2008 application info there. However, I can access a secondary. I don't know if this is last year's, or the actual one that will be handed out soon, but either way, this might help give an idea of what they're going for:

The School of Medicine seeks individuals whose future contributions to a career in medicine cannot be determined solely by grades and test scores. Your responses to the following questions will aid the Admissions Committee in identifying the kinds of experiences an applicant has had which reflect the qualities needed to contribute to the health care needs of this state and throughout the country. 600 characters

Page 2. Describe a difficult situation you have had to overcome in your life or during your college academic experience. How do you feel this will prepare you for a career in medicine?

Page 3 Who would you consider to be the most influential person in your life and why?

Page 4. Each applicant brings with them goals of what they want to accomplish as a physician. They also have their larger dreams with regards to what they hope to accomplish in their lifetime. In a brief paragraph, please describe how you would want to be remembered at the end of your life.

Page 5. The UCDSchool of Medicine offers a broad and diverse range of educational opportunities for our students. The extent of careers that our graduates achieve includes the entire gamut of medical practice, from that of the primary physician to academic physicians in teaching and research institutuions. For the latter, a predoctoral academic program that combines the MD program with that of a Ph.D. is often chosen. The UCDSchool of Medicine offers a dual degree Physician Scientist Traning Program (PSTP) for suitably qualified candidates. The Ph.D. segment of this program may be undertaken in any of the graduate programs on the entire UC Davis campus. There is a broad diversity of programs from which to select, including the typical MD/Ph.D. tracks in biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering, but the program can also encompass the social sciences, humanities and economics. The goal of the dual degree program is to train academic physicians to be able to make important contributions to medical care and education in the 21st century.

If you are interested in the PSTP (Physician Scientist Training Program, M.D./Ph.D.) that might allow you to meet some of the above aims, please provide a supplementary essay that would indicate your interest in pursuing a dual degree. Your comments should include your research background and reasons for pursuing a combined degree program.

Limit your response to 6000 characters.

Page 6 – a bunch of questions about the Rural-PRIME program that I’m too lazy to copy paste….

Page 7 - *Note: A socio-economically disadvantaged applicant is one who, from an early age, resided in a low-income community or experienced enduring family and/or societal hardship that significantly compromised educational opportunities. This definition is suggested by the American Medical College Application Service(AMCAS).

If you have identified yourself as a socio-economically disadvantaged applicant please provide a brief statement concerning the nature of this designation. Describe its impact on your accomplishments to date and on your anticipated future in medicine. Do not copy/paste or repeat comments used on AMCAS Disadvantaged essay. Use this space as an opportunity to update and expand upon information stated on the AMCAS related to this subject.

Limit your response to 1000 characters.

that secondary looks like a bitch!

yeah, it was last year... again, this might be just last year's, but i don't imagine it will change much... many secondaries that i've done a second time are pretty similar...

bummer.

Let's hope it'll be different. Then again UCSD and UCLA stayed the same.

I do not like the looks of that thing! Oh Boy!!!

It doesn't really look that bad... 600 characters, and if we're not doing MD/PhD and arent disadvantaged, theres only 3 real essays. Other than UCSF (God bless them), this is probably the easiest CA secondary.

Page 2. Describe a difficult situation you have had to overcome in your life or during your college academic experience. How do you feel this will prepare you for a career in medicine?

Page 3 Who would you consider to be the most influential person in your life and why?

Page 4. Each applicant brings with them goals of what they want to accomplish as a physician. They also have their larger dreams with regards to what they hope to accomplish in their lifetime. In a brief paragraph, please describe how you would want to be remembered at the end of your life.

It doesn't really look that bad... 600 characters, and if we're not doing MD/PhD and arent disadvantaged, theres only 3 real essays. Other than UCSF (God bless them), this is probably the easiest CA secondary.

has anyone gotten this secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UCD screen as apps come in? Or do they do it every 2 weeks (or some other period of time)?

Nope, I think those prompts are last years. Its the final secondary I'm waiting for too...

bah. I wanted to start since i think i have a decent chance of getting a secondary (as opposed to vandy and ohsu, which seem like crapshoots)

Finally!!! The secondary has been released, just got it.

Just got it now as well! 10:15pm, 8/21. Big relief.

Me TOO! WOOHOO...that makes it 18/18...thank god! I'll post the questions in a bit

just got it! 8/21 10:11pm pacific

The rural PRIME program looks really cool. I come from a rural area; I'll have to check it out.

woooo hooooo....got it at 10:11pm too!

anyone know if this is a hard screen??

There are essay questions and you have to enter more info about 3 of your experiences that you deem most valuable/important. Here are the instructions

1. How do you envision your life as a physician?
2. What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that prepare you for a medical career?
3. How will you contribute to and enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community?
4. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know?
(All have a limit of 500 characters)

"III. Supplemental Information
You will have to complete the entire supplemental information (4 essay questions, 3 experiences, and Rural PRIME or PSTP questions if applicable) before you will be able to submit.

A. Essay Questions:
In this section, we ask each applicant to describe his or her unique qualifications for a career in medicine, particularly at the UC Davis School of Medicine. Instructions: Please click on Essay Questions tab and complete the four essay questions.

B. Experiences:

At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine.

Instructions – complete the following steps for each experience:
Select the type of experience and indicate ‘paid’ or ‘volunteer’
Title your experience
Indicate the level of commitment (total hours and duration)
List a relevant reference and their contact information
Indicate any evidence of accomplishment or supporting documentation
Briefly describe the significance of this experience and how it enhances your potential as a physician
Please note that you will have to complete an entire experience section before you can save. "

And the letter requirements

"I. Letters of Recommendation
We request at least three but no more than five letters of recommendation from persons who know you well enough to evaluate your scholarly potential and promise as a physician. These letters may be accompanied by an undergraduate school's premedical committee evaluation. Professors, instructors, thesis advisors, and supervisors of special projects, clinical, volunteer or employment activities usually provide the most informative letters. Letters from teachers who do not know you beyond grades and class rank are discouraged.
You may waive your access to letters of recommendation under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 01977, and other laws. Please refer to the Waiver of Access to Confidential Letters of Evaluation Form. If you have waived access to your letters through your school’s Pre-medical Advisory Committee, it is not necessary to complete the waiver. Please have each letter author or letter service include a signed copy or verification of having the Waiver of Access to Confidential Letters of Evaluation Form completed.
Once we have received the minimum required letters (three), the applicant portal will reflect that you have met the letter of recommendation requirement. If your letter service submits more than 5 letters on your behalf, please email us at [email protected] with your name and AMCAS ID as well as instructions on which 5 letters (Letter Author Name and Institution) to include with your application.

Instructions: Letters can be submitted via:
Letter service (university letter service or electronic letter service)
Email: Send to [email protected] (letter must by signed and sent by the author)
USPS Mail: UC Davis School of Medicine, Office of Admissions, 4610 X Street, Suite 1202, Sacramento, CA 95817"

Good Luck Everyone!!

ESSAY QUESTIONS:

1. How do you envision your life as a physician? 500 characters

2. What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that prepare you for a medical career? 500 characters

3. How will you contribute to and enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community? 500 characters

4. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? 500 characters

Just got it too... so they are different questions than last year. Anyone know how rigorously they screen? Seems like everyone got it!

JackInTheBox: SR: 8/21, SS: 8/21, C:?, II:?, I:?

Just kidding.

You SO are not kidding! :)

What are we supposed to do if we don't have contact information for one of our experiences? I don't have any phone numbers or anything... :confused:

I probably got screened out. Oh well. Doing my postbacc there meant absolutely nothin to them. Oh well, God bless yall! Go get'em!

10:11 for me too!

What?! Don't lose hope yet BD2B! This is probably the earlier batch of secondaries that were sent out!

Could be. Im glad to see you got yours! I wonder why they came so late in the evening?

Could be. Im glad to see you got yours! I wonder why they came so late in the evening?

They have a special unwritten rule where if you can submit your app by midnight, you get an automatic interview. It shows dedication.

They have a special unwritten rule where if you can submit your app by midnight, you get an automatic interview. It shows dedication.

10 min left, I'm gonna do it!!!

10 min left, I'm gonna do it!!!

8 min now!!

but seriously, I'm pretty happy about this secondary. Last year it was 8 or 9 questions that were 1500 char each? And now its 4 essays that are 500char each. I bet the adcomm last year complained about having to read all that crap :laugh:

YESS I got it just in time!!

AH CRAP! it was 11:59 and I was like "ok" and made a few changes and BAM it's already been 5 minutes :( :mad: +pity++pissed+:boom:

Last edited:

that's a joke, right? what if you like to triple check everything, and then sleep on it, and then check it again? please let that be a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.