You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 Albany Secondary Application Thread
Started by rockydoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Interview invite today.
New York is showing me the love that my own state won't give me.
Congrats Fiz - how long did you wait until you were invited?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats Fiz - how long did you wait until you were invited?
I had everything submitted by the end of August, so I'm assuming I was complete around then.
I had everything submitted by the end of August, so I'm assuming I was complete around then.
But what of your status on the EAC? Do you know when that all changed to "yes"?
Does the status change to interview invite or is it solely by e-mail?
But what of your status on the EAC? Do you know when that all changed to "yes"?
I don't know; I haven't been checking the status pages for my schools that frequently.
for people who have been rejected, how long after you were complete were you rejected, thanks
Well that's a sunny way of putting it, lol

arghhh, i was put on pre-interview hold.
Well that's a sunny way of putting it, lol![]()
sorry! i think this process has caused me to be paranoid and ridiculously obsessive, i submitted late july and was complete mid-september but NO NEWS AT ALL
I jsut got a preinterview hold.....which for me (3.1, 34) has been the only nonrejection thus far from an MD program. Yay. hah.
i have 4 rejections and 15 or so with no respince at all. Complete everywhere since mid july.
Anyone know when there might be movement off the hold list?
or any idea of how good one's chances are once put on hold?
i have 4 rejections and 15 or so with no respince at all. Complete everywhere since mid july.
Anyone know when there might be movement off the hold list?
or any idea of how good one's chances are once put on hold?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry! i think this process has caused me to be paranoid and ridiculously obsessive, i submitted late july and was complete mid-september but NO NEWS AT ALL
Hey bluesmd, I'm in the same position as you. hang tight, I'm sure we'll hear soon.
2
202781
I have about "average" stats (in terms of numbers)
I dont think I ever received any sort of COMPLETE email. I was invited about 1.5 months after I submitted. My interview was yesterday (they have a really great lunch).
I dont think I ever received any sort of COMPLETE email. I was invited about 1.5 months after I submitted. My interview was yesterday (they have a really great lunch).
I have about "average" stats (in terms of numbers)
I dont think I ever received any sort of COMPLETE email. I was invited about 1.5 months after I submitted. My interview was yesterday (they have a really great lunch).
Yay for great lunch.. Will be interview there in a few weeks 😀
Yay for great lunch.. Will be interview there in a few weeks 😀
Me too! 😍 ALBANY ALBANY ALBANY
Me too! 😍 ALBANY ALBANY ALBANY
what are the oos stats for number applied/interviewed/accepted
thanks
what are the oos stats for number applied/interviewed/accepted
thanks
OOS: 6710 applied, 379 interviewed, 86 matriculated (MSAR doesn't give stats on acceptances, but it's obviously higher than matriculated)
OOS: 6710 applied, 379 interviewed, 86 matriculated (MSAR doesn't give stats on acceptances, but it's obviously higher than matriculated)
thanks aznb0y129! does anyone have the stats from usnews as well. and does anyone know if the 86 include the people they accept through their BA/MD program
thanks aznb0y129! does anyone have the stats from usnews as well. and does anyone know if the 86 include the people they accept through their BA/MD program
It does not. The 86 would be traditional route admissions. The total class size is a lot closer to 150.
It does not. The 86 would be traditional route admissions. The total class size is a lot closer to 150.
To further this point,
OOS: 86 regular admit, 19 BA/MD
IS: 55 regular admit, 28 BA/MD
It does not. The 86 would be traditional route admissions. The total class size is a lot closer to 150.
To further this point,
OOS: 86 regular admit, 19 BA/MD
IS: 55 regular admit, 28 BA/MD
thanks guys!
2
202781
Just FYI
During lunch an adcom member was talking to us and told us that depending on the year they have about 93 traditional slots open and they make anywhere from
2.5 to 3.2 acceptances per matriculant. so I guess that would be about 33%-50% chance roughly if they interviewed 500ppl.
maybe my math is wrong
During lunch an adcom member was talking to us and told us that depending on the year they have about 93 traditional slots open and they make anywhere from
2.5 to 3.2 acceptances per matriculant. so I guess that would be about 33%-50% chance roughly if they interviewed 500ppl.
maybe my math is wrong
does albany interview for waitlist spots or does everyone who interviews have a chance to get in?
Everyone interviewed has a chance. My understanding is that they use a point system based on your application and your interview. From what I've heard, it very much favors the interview. There is a specific number above which they offer an acceptance, so whether you interview in September or in April you have an equal shot of being accepted.
Does the status change to interview invite or is it solely by e-mail?
there is an interview link that appears on your status page where you pick the date of your interview
Everyone interviewed has a chance. My understanding is that they use a point system based on your application and your interview. From what I've heard, it very much favors the interview. There is a specific number above which they offer an acceptance, so whether you interview in September or in April you have an equal shot of being accepted.
thanks! do you go to albany? if you do can you tell us more about it, about the life there, social stuff, how it works with people directly accepted from undergraduate etc etc and are there trains that get there from new york?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Never received any sort of contact from Albany after submission...which was around 9/29/2008...So I dunno what's goin on.
i submitted late july and just heard back from them about their decision yesterday, so wait a little while 🙂 good luck
for people that interviewed at albany:
so i was being nosy and i noticed that on the interview sheet on the top row, there was some text and then a range of values next to it. it said something like 3.5-4.6.
anyone know what this was all about?
so i was being nosy and i noticed that on the interview sheet on the top row, there was some text and then a range of values next to it. it said something like 3.5-4.6.
anyone know what this was all about?
Just received the HOLD email. I was complete 9/25 I believe for those wondering.. Good luck!
Same here!!Just received the HOLD email. I was complete 9/25 I believe for those wondering.. Good luck!
Everyone interviewed has a chance. My understanding is that they use a point system based on your application and your interview. From what I've heard, it very much favors the interview. There is a specific number above which they offer an acceptance, so whether you interview in September or in April you have an equal shot of being accepted.
Is the decision to interview in the first place based on that same point system of the application, do you know?
Just FYI
During lunch an adcom member was talking to us and told us that depending on the year they have about 93 traditional slots open and they make anywhere from
2.5 to 3.2 acceptances per matriculant. so I guess that would be about 33%-50% chance roughly if they interviewed 500ppl.
maybe my math is wrong
The general idea here is that Albany interviews a MUCH smaller % of its applicants than other schools. Last year it was only 6%: about 10% of IS applicants and 5% of OOS. But if you are fortunate enough to get an interview, your chances of getting in are quite good: probably 60%+.
The accept rate is a guess, based on the US News numbers, which are for the entire class (including the BA/MD slots). They don't give "accepted" #s for Albany, but I tried to eyeball them using NYMC's accept/matric ratios as a guide. I ended up at about 2.4 accepts/ matriculant (2 for IS, 2.7 for OOS--again, this is just a guess). But based on the numbers the adcom quoted, it's probably a reasonable guess, and maybe even on the low side. Using my guesstimates, Albany admitted about 2/3 of the IS interviewees and 60% of OOS.
using NYMC's accept/matric ratios as a guide.
why did you use NYMC?
why did you use NYMC?
They're both NY private schools with similar reputations, they accept students with similar stats, and they both get a very large number of apps (NYMC 10K, Albany 9K). Therefore, I thought it was a reasonable guess that their accept/matric ratios would look something like each other. Note that I used NYMC's numbers AS A GUIDE--I didn't just apply them literally to Albany. (NYMC accepts 3.2 students for every matriculant, and if I applied that ratio to Albany, they'd be accepting more people than they interviewed!)
The general idea here is that Albany interviews a MUCH smaller % of its applicants than other schools. Last year it was only 6%: about 10% of IS applicants and 5% of OOS. But if you are fortunate enough to get an interview, your chances of getting in are quite good: probably 60%+.
The accept rate is a guess, based on the US News numbers, which are for the entire class (including the BA/MD slots). They don't give "accepted" #s for Albany, but I tried to eyeball them using NYMC's accept/matric ratios as a guide. I ended up at about 2.4 accepts/ matriculant (2 for IS, 2.7 for OOS--again, this is just a guess). But based on the numbers the adcom quoted, it's probably a reasonable guess, and maybe even on the low side. Using my guesstimates, Albany admitted about 2/3 of the IS interviewees and 60% of OOS.
Wow, if what you say is true, this makes me very very optimistic. I have no idea how I got an interview, when 30+ other schools are ignoring me at the moment. 😕 But from everything I hear about this place, it sounds like the kind of place I'd love! Diversity, emphasis on social issues, ethics focus, lectures on improving healthcare delivery, etc.
You can usually find this information online if you make an effort to look for it.
http://www.amc.edu/Academic/viewbook/curriculum.html
http://www.amc.edu/Academic/viewbook/curriculum.html
You can usually find this information online if you make an effort to look for it.
http://www.amc.edu/Academic/viewbook/curriculum.html
thanks, i found this too, but the themes they talk about, i just want to know if anyone had the plan like the courses drawn out the like schools have
Anyone else get this message:
We are pleased to have had the opportunity to meet with you when
you visited the Albany Medical College for an interview. We
sincerely hope that you enjoyed your day and that your experiences
were all favorable.
As you know, we offer immediate acceptance to a number of
applicants each week during our interview season, which runs through
April. We wish to advise you that although you were not among that
group, your candidacy is still under consideration.
All interviewed applicants not immediately accepted are ranked
on the basis of their average committee vote following their
interview. (The vote and rank are confidential.) When we have
finished interviewing, we will draw, in rank order, from the pool of
applicants still under consideration to create a list of alternates.
Any vacancies in the class will be filled with these applicants.
We will be in touch with you should your present status change.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our
office.
I didn't know they even met this early...
We are pleased to have had the opportunity to meet with you when
you visited the Albany Medical College for an interview. We
sincerely hope that you enjoyed your day and that your experiences
were all favorable.
As you know, we offer immediate acceptance to a number of
applicants each week during our interview season, which runs through
April. We wish to advise you that although you were not among that
group, your candidacy is still under consideration.
All interviewed applicants not immediately accepted are ranked
on the basis of their average committee vote following their
interview. (The vote and rank are confidential.) When we have
finished interviewing, we will draw, in rank order, from the pool of
applicants still under consideration to create a list of alternates.
Any vacancies in the class will be filled with these applicants.
We will be in touch with you should your present status change.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our
office.
I didn't know they even met this early...
Anyone else get this message:
We are pleased to have had the opportunity to meet with you when
you visited the Albany Medical College for an interview. We
sincerely hope that you enjoyed your day and that your experiences
were all favorable.
As you know, we offer immediate acceptance to a number of
applicants each week during our interview season, which runs through April. We wish to advise you that although you were not among that group, your candidacy is still under consideration.
All interviewed applicants not immediately accepted are ranked
on the basis of their average committee vote following their
interview. (The vote and rank are confidential.) When we have
finished interviewing, we will draw, in rank order, from the pool of
applicants still under consideration to create a list of alternates.
Any vacancies in the class will be filled with these applicants.
We will be in touch with you should your present status change.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our
office.
I didn't know they even met this early...
i think they started accepting last week. you are now like on their 'waitlist' kinda
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else get this message:
We are pleased to have had the opportunity to meet with you when
you visited the Albany Medical College for an interview. We
sincerely hope that you enjoyed your day and that your experiences
were all favorable.
As you know, we offer immediate acceptance to a number of
applicants each week during our interview season, which runs through
April. We wish to advise you that although you were not among that
group, your candidacy is still under consideration.
All interviewed applicants not immediately accepted are ranked
on the basis of their average committee vote following their
interview. (The vote and rank are confidential.) When we have
finished interviewing, we will draw, in rank order, from the pool of
applicants still under consideration to create a list of alternates.
Any vacancies in the class will be filled with these applicants.
We will be in touch with you should your present status change.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our
office.
I didn't know they even met this early...
I got this message too. When I interviewed, they said we will hear in mid-December. I guess they are sending the waitlists earlier.
Anyone else get this message:
We are pleased to have had the opportunity to meet with you when
you visited the Albany Medical College for an interview. We
sincerely hope that you enjoyed your day and that your experiences
were all favorable.
As you know, we offer immediate acceptance to a number of
applicants each week during our interview season, which runs through
April. We wish to advise you that although you were not among that
group, your candidacy is still under consideration.
All interviewed applicants not immediately accepted are ranked
on the basis of their average committee vote following their
interview. (The vote and rank are confidential.) When we have
finished interviewing, we will draw, in rank order, from the pool of
applicants still under consideration to create a list of alternates.
Any vacancies in the class will be filled with these applicants.
We will be in touch with you should your present status change.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our
office.
I got this earlier this week too. Guess I'm on the wait list. I was kind of surprised because they told us we wouldnt know a decision till mid December.
Does anyone know how often they pull people off the waitlist? I'm considering withdrawing if the waitlist to acceptance ratio is low. Even if I did get in, I don't think I can afford that new tablet PC they're mandating.
Does anyone know how often they pull people off the waitlist? I'm considering withdrawing if the waitlist to acceptance ratio is low. Even if I did get in, I don't think I can afford that new tablet PC they're mandating.
i think they accept a good chunk of people from the waitlist. do you have an acceptance yet? because if you don't, maybe you should wait it out and just see what happens. i know the tablet is expensive, but it won't hurt you. good luck!
I got this message too. When I interviewed, they said we will hear in mid-December. I guess they are sending the waitlists earlier.
I got this earlier this week too. Guess I'm on the wait list. I was kind of surprised because they told us we wouldnt know a decision till mid December.
when did you guys interview?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
