2008-2009 Albany Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think they accept a good chunk of people from the waitlist. do you have an acceptance yet? because if you don't, maybe you should wait it out and just see what happens. i know the tablet is expensive, but it won't hurt you. good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I have a couple of acceptances, but it would be nice to have some out of state options as well. I'll just leave it be, and if I get in, that's great, if not, oh well.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not get that waitlist message...I guess I probably got either rejected or accepted.

I did not get that waitlist message...I guess I probably got either rejected or accepted.

when did you interview, they may not have got to your app yet. sometimes your interviewer may not be able to make it to ALL meetings

when did you interview, they may not have got to your app yet. sometimes your interviewer may not be able to make it to ALL meetings

I interviewed on Nov. 6th

by the way after my interview (I only had one) she told me that I interviewed well and I should give Albany serious consideration.

I interviewed on Nov. 6th

by the way after my interview (I only had one) she told me that I interviewed well and I should give Albany serious consideration.

hmm, i wonder why you haven't got your decision yet. they said they meet last tuesday and started offering acceptances. now they will meet every tuesday onwards. congrats, i hope it is just because your interviewers haven't had time to go to the meetings. but you already have a couple of acceptances, you're golden!

As I go through Albany's feedback... I get the feeling that this school is out to pick your brains. Is this school doing stress interviews? Or are they more intense than usual?

As I go through Albany's feedback... I get the feeling that this school is out to pick your brains. Is this school doing stress interviews? Or are they more intense than usual?
I think it depends on the interviewer that you have. Word on the street (at least when I was there) was that there was an older gentlemen that was very tough.

The person I had was easy, she was very interested in hearing about my volunteer experiences and learning more about what I wanted to accomplish in medicine.

I think it depends on the interviewer that you have. Word on the street (at least when I was there) was that there was an older gentlemen that was very tough.

The person I had was easy, she was very interested in hearing about my volunteer experiences and learning more about what I wanted to accomplish in medicine.

i agree with sankondbest. i had two interviewers, one was a doc and the other was a student. both were super nice, some of the nicest interviewers i have had on the interview trail. there were only like two ethics questions from the student and they were really easy, it was more like they were wanting to see reasoning behind what i said. BUT when i talked to the other 7 people getting interviewed, all except one had difficult interviewers that grilled them on ethics questions for 45 minutes. but most had 2 interviewers and only one is like this so it balances out. unless you are really lucky like me. the thing is, i hope that there is enough substance for them to present me well to the committee! good luck to you fuzzy

Thanks for the feedback!!! Appreciate your insights! =)

i agree with sankondbest. i had two interviewers, one was a doc and the other was a student. both were super nice, some of the nicest interviewers i have had on the interview trail. there were only like two ethics questions from the student and they were really easy, it was more like they were wanting to see reasoning behind what i said. BUT when i talked to the other 7 people getting interviewed, all except one had difficult interviewers that grilled them on ethics questions for 45 minutes. but most had 2 interviewers and only one is like this so it balances out. unless you are really lucky like me. the thing is, i hope that there is enough substance for them to present me well to the committee! good luck to you fuzzy

do you remember what the ethics questions were, exactly?

do you remember what the ethics questions were, exactly?

mine was just the normal stuff: young kid wants abortion, stuff like that, but i can't help you with the hard ones. i just know they kept giving extra pieces of information and follow up questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear back yet, post interview? If yes, when was your interview? I interviewed on the 18th and am hoping we will hear back sometime this week.

Anyone hear back yet, post interview? If yes, when was your interview? I interviewed on the 18th and am hoping we will hear back sometime this week.

i interviewed late november and they said they had started to give acceptances the week before. so yes people have started to hear back. for ANYONE with an albany acceptance can you please tell us did you get an email or just snail mail. thanks!

I just got accepted.
I interviewed on 11/6 or something
accepted on 11/29 (I think it would have been less time but their committee did not begin meeting until the week before thanksgiving)

Acceptance via email today with an subject like this:

Albany Medical College Application Status- accept

interviewed 11/20

:laugh::laugh:

congrats mcgyver and sankondbest. i was waitlisted :(

for those on the waitlist, did you find out by email? has anyone's status page changed post-decision?

thanks!

Did you get waitlisted? Or in the "further consideration" category? I got the latter. I wasnt really planning on going to an MD school anyways with my 29 mcat and 3.4 gpa, anyways:( Oh well.

Did you get waitlisted? Or in the "further consideration" category? I got the latter. I wasnt really planning on going to an MD school anyways with my 29 mcat and 3.4 gpa, anyways:( Oh well.

wait there's a difference. i thought they were the same thing. in their exact words "still under consideration." don't give up though, it's still early. keep hopeful, :cool:, it's hard but you got til june/july. long wait, sux, but hopefully in the end it will be all worth it.

I recall from the info session, waitlist is where they pick their students from. If you are in the "further consideration" category, you need to move into the waitlist before you have a shot at being picked for a spot.

Best of luck to you!

I recall from the info session, waitlist is where they pick their students from. If you are in the "further consideration" category, you need to move into the waitlist before you have a shot at being picked for a spot.

Best of luck to you!

oh crap. are you serious!?!?!? :( anyone else have any input. it's not that i don't believe you fuzzy, but i just want to make sure before i throw a fit haha.

this is what it says in the email:
All interviewed applicants not immediately accepted are ranked
on the basis of their average committee vote following their
interview. (The vote and rank are confidential.) When we have
finished interviewing, we will draw, in rank order, from the pool of
applicants still under consideration to create a list of alternates.
Any vacancies in the class will be filled with these applicants.

any suggestions on deciphering it?

Last edited:
oh crap. are you serious!?!?!? :( anyone else have any input. it's not that i don't believe you fuzzy, but i just want to make sure before i throw a fit haha.

this is what it says in the email:

any suggestions on deciphering it?

I bold-ed the stuff you need to look at.

List of alternates = wait list

applicants still under consideration = still under consideration, but not waitlist status just yet.

EDIT: As last line in the email states, vacancies in the class will be filled with "these" applicants. (These refers to applicants from list of alternates, aka, waitlist)

Good luck buddy!

Last edited:
I think they said that of the interviewees, 1/3 will be accepted, 1/3 will be rejected, and 1/3 will be waitlisted. I don't recall them saying anything about "still under consideration" vs. "waitlist"

I bold-ed the stuff you need to look at.

List of alternates = wait list

applicants still under consideration = still under consideration, but not waitlist status just yet.

EDIT: As last line in the email states, vacancies in the class will be filled with "these" applicants. (These refers to applicants from list of alternates, aka, waitlist)

Good luck buddy!

ooo ok, thanks fuzzy!!! so i'm am okay at this point. keep 'fit' for later use.:D

I think they said that of the interviewees, 1/3 will be accepted, 1/3 will be rejected, and 1/3 will be waitlisted. I don't recall them saying anything about "still under consideration" vs. "waitlist"

thanks ncb as well

There is a difference. Each applicant gets a score. Depending on the cutoff, an applicant will be categorized as either accepted, rejected, waitlist, or active consideration.

During the info session, we were told how the cutoff is constantly changing as the cycle progresses. So yep, I'm actually pretty sure there is a diff between the two.

At my info session they said everyone would be put into one of 3 groups, not 4. Maybe I will call....not that it matters.

There is a difference. Each applicant gets a score. Depending on the cutoff, an applicant will be categorized as either accepted, rejected, waitlist, or active consideration.

During the info session, we were told how the cutoff is constantly changing as the cycle progresses. So yep, I'm actually pretty sure there is a diff between the two.

But the email made it sound like, that at this point in time, there is no waitlist and that everyone who was not admitted or rejected is in this pool.

But the email made it sound like, that at this point in time, there is no waitlist and that everyone who was not admitted or rejected is in this pool.

What you said is correct. But if you read the email closely they will "draw, in rank order, from the pool of applicants still under consideration to create a list of alternates"

That means, those who are not rejected or not accepted fall into this category. Based on their ranking of you, you will either make the wait list or you will remain in the active consideration list.

If you are still unsure, I guess you guys can call them and ask directly, but that is my understanding of how it works based on what I heard from the session.

Yes, that was my udnerstanding, so in essence, there is no waitlist currently, just a pool.

are we sure people have been rejected though, there is no one in the rejection list post-interview

i'm not trying to create confusion, but I got the "under consideration" message around last week and I called the office. the lady who I spoke with told me they're being conservative with acceptances right now because they started accepting early, under consideration is "not like a waitlist," and i will probably hear a final decision in a couple of weeks to a month. she didn't ask for my name or any personal information so it was just general info. maybe someone else should call to clarify..

I'm just got the under consideration email. Disappointed.. not sure what went wrong at the interview....

Accepted! My first one! :D

Man, that was fast...less than a month between the interview invite and the acceptance.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything from them since my application was complete almost two months ago.:confused:

I haven't heard anything from them since my application was complete almost two months ago.:confused:

Me either, but it was almost 3 months ago! I've called 2 times, and both times they've told me that the reviewer still has the file. I'm thinking the reviewer is using it as a coaster for his or her coffee.

"We are pleased to have had the opportunity to meet with you when
you visited the Albany Medical College for an interview. We
sincerely hope that you enjoyed your day and that your experiences
were all favorable.

As you know, we offer immediate acceptance to a number of
applicants each week during our interview season, which runs through
April. We wish to advise you that although you were not among that
group, your candidacy is still under consideration.

We will be in touch with you should your present status change.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our
office."

I guess.... is this saying I'm waitlisted ?? What is "still under consideration"? How likely am I to get accepted with this status? :scared:

Man, I just got an interview invite for albany and idk idk idk if i shld go to it...from reading this thread idk idk if i shld go for it even more...it seems to be priceyyyy and colddddd ahhhh

anybody interviewing next thursday? also, are the interviews open or closed file?

anybody interviewing next thursday? also, are the interviews open or closed file?

i had two interviews one with a faculty one with an M4. faculty was open file, i'm not too sure about M4 but i don't think so. good luck!

i had two interviews one with a faculty one with an M4. faculty was open file, i'm not too sure about M4 but i don't think so. good luck!

thanks! what did you think of the interviews, were they conversational or did you get some tough questions?

thanks! what did you think of the interviews, were they conversational or did you get some tough questions?

look on the previous page of this thread, me and some other people talked about our interviews, i can't be bothered to type it out again, good luck

I hear that most applicants got tough ethics questions in one of their two interviews.

If you're lucky like me, though, you won't get any. I only had one interview, and it was a conversational one. Talk about luck! :D

has anyone gotten rejected post-interview yet? all I'm seeing are either acceptances or UCs.

interviewed late october got my acceptance package today.

interviewed late october got my acceptance package today.

congrats!! did you get the accepted email right away or were you just under consideration. and if you were the latter, did you get an email updating you of your status. thanks

does anyone know how likely or unlikely it is to receive an interview invite after Christmas? I haven't heard a peep from any of the schools i've applied to, including albany, and i've just copped it up to 'they're waiting for my fall 2008 transcripts'.

now i'm second guessing myself. most of my applications have been complete for months now and no sign of anything on the horizon. should i take silence to mean rejection? does albany send out rejection letters or do they leave people hanging? ie. should i stay hopeful bc i haven't heard anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.