2008-2009 Albany Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know how likely or unlikely it is to receive an interview invite after Christmas? I haven't heard a peep from any of the schools i've applied to, including albany, and i've just copped it up to 'they're waiting for my fall 2008 transcripts'.

now i'm second guessing myself. most of my applications have been complete for months now and no sign of anything on the horizon. should i take silence to mean rejection? does albany send out rejection letters or do they leave people hanging? ie. should i stay hopeful bc i haven't heard anything?

I'm in the same boat as you, buddy. Complete for months...and no word. It sucks. I'm still hopeful though...no news...is not a rejection at least!

Members don't see this ad.

so i was put on the pre-interview hold list. have they officially rejected anyone pre-interview or the pre-interview hold means rejection? thanks

so i was put on the pre-interview hold list. have they officially rejected anyone pre-interview or the pre-interview hold means rejection? thanks

how do you find out if you're on pre-interview hold? i haven't heard ANYTHING since i submitted my secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you find out if you're on pre-interview hold? i haven't heard ANYTHING since i submitted my secondary

i was complete in early oct and got the hold email today. im getting a bit nervous now because i have no interviews at all. i have a 3.6/31Q. i hope i still have a shot at albany!

congrats!! did you get the accepted email right away or were you just under consideration. and if you were the latter, did you get an email updating you of your status. thanks
no e-mail which is why i thought i got rejected.

look in the rejection thread, i'm pretty sure some people have been rejected pre-interview, but don't quote me on that

no e-mail which is why i thought i got rejected.

sorry do you think you could clarify how you found out. did you just get an acceptance package and no email. were you ever on the 'under consideration' list?

interviewed with them, didn't send an email or follow up or anything. quiet since then, didn't hear a peep from them and got an acceptance package from them this weekend. if you dont hear from them at all, dont assume the worst, its probably a good thing!

wow congratulations! when did you interview? i interviewed with them and got the 'under consideration' email so i was wondering has anyone been accepted from that list

interviewed end of october, gl with hearing, i hope you get in!

thanks :) i'm on the under consideration list. i hope they don't send a package in the next two weeks when i can't check my mail! are you decided on albany?

I'm in the same boat... complete in September, and I haven't heard a peep since (from Albany and a host of others). Does Albany have a status page online? I can't seem to find anything on their website...

Thanks... my bad I should have remembered that e-mail. My status says app complete ready to be reviewed, so I guess (as usual) I'm just a player in their waiting game...

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else "still under consideration" post-interview? This limbo is killing me. I just want to hear something...

also, btw, can we get REJECTED from this pool? Or can we only get either accepted right off it or waitlisted (when list is set in June)?

Last edited:
interviewed with them, didn't send an email or follow up or anything. quiet since then, didn't hear a peep from them and got an acceptance package from them this weekend. if you dont hear from them at all, dont assume the worst, its probably a good thing!

I received an acceptance email from their admissions roughly 1 week after interviewing, and received the package in the mail ~2 weeks after that. It was a very very friendly email, but still looked pretty standard, ie one that they would send to everyone. They also give you a very very small window of time to respond, which gives the impression that they are giving out a lot of acceptances continually.

Best of luck to those still waiting for a response!

anyone else "still under consideration" post-interview? This limbo is killing me. I just want to hear something...

also, btw, can we get REJECTED from this pool? Or can we only get either accepted right off it or waitlisted (when list is set in June)?

I am still in this category. My understanding is that we can be rejected or accepted anytime up until the week before class. I know, its kind of lame.

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for it for weeks.

Does anyone know what my pin might be? I tried my date of birth and last digits of my SS# and nothing works. Calling Albany doesn't help because I always get stuck listening to their long introduction of how to apply and can never talk to a real person. It's like doing business with AT&T.

Albany uses a random password that is in the email they send you. It won't be your birthday or SS number. Try emailing them to say that you lost your password, they can probably reset it for you.

For those that were interviewed, were you all asked about the experience that you'd most like to discuss (as asked on the secondary)? I wrote about an event that is unlikely to naturally come up in conversation, and I am wondering if interviewees were all asked about this experience explicitly or if you initiated the topic. Thanks!

For those that were interviewed, were you all asked about the experience that you'd most like to discuss (as asked on the secondary)? I wrote about an event that is unlikely to naturally come up in conversation, and I am wondering if interviewees were all asked about this experience explicitly or if you initiated the topic. Thanks!

The activity I put down never even got a mention during the interview.

Me neither, and I had two interviews. My interviewers were more concerned with ethics questions and whether I was sure about medicine.

Thanks fizzle, good to know. I suppose it is up to the individual interviewer to choose if they want to resort to this topic. The last few posts on Albany's interview forum have been pretty negative; I would rather the interviewer grill me on my application than some of the topics posters mentioned!

Thanks fizzle, good to know. I suppose it is up to the individual interviewer to choose if they want to resort to this topic. The last few posts on Albany's interview forum have been pretty negative; I would rather the interviewer grill me on my application than some of the topics posters mentioned!

It was mentioned in one of my interviews, but not the other. Of course, ymmv.

engineeredout, when were you complete?

engineeredout, when were you complete?

When they recieved my MCAT scores, so roughly 9/25?

I just wish I could have shown them my fall semester grades. Six As and just waiting on the 7th grade before sending them out. Oh well.

I received an rejection email today...at least I won't be freezing in upstate ny!

complete mid September
rejected today via email

Dear ME
I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for interview
this year at Albany Medical College.

It is important to know that members of our admissions committee
carefully evaluated your application. It is a responsibility that we
take very seriously. There are no automatic cut-offs with
regard to a grade point average or MCAT scores that would
automatically preclude a favorable review. Similarly, strong MCAT
scores and high levels of academic achievement do not guarantee an
interview or admission. All information available to us was taken
into account when a decision was made. This includes letters of
recommendation, your personal comments, and the range and breadth of
your activities.

To help guide you in assessing your own credentials, it may be
helpful to know that the mean undergraduate grade point average of
our present freshman class is 3.6 and 3.6 for those that were
enrolled in a graduate program. Their MCAT score averages are 10.0
verbal, 10.4 physical science, and 10.9 biology.
This is composite data; therefore, there are applicants who have
generally demonstrated both higher and lower levels of achievement in
these assessment areas. If an applicant has weaker than average
credentials in one area, these are typically offset by much stronger
results in another area.

This year we anticipate receiving over 9,000 applications.
Unfortunately, we must restrict the number of applicants we interview
to approximately 600 from which a class of 130-135 students is
selected. There is no doubt in our minds that there are many
applicants who, given the opportunity, would be caring and competent
physicians.

We suggest that you carefully evaluate your credentials with the
assistance of a premedical advisor. In addition, you may wish to
refer to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) website:
www.aamc.org. This website contains a wealth of information
concerning medical education. Also, the AAMC publishes a book
entitled Medical School Admissions Requirements; you may obtain
ordering information from the publications section of the AAMC
website.

After obtaining advice from your premedical advisor and
self-evaluation, you may be able to identify areas of your
application that need improvement. The next step is to strengthen
these areas and re-apply. Although we would like to be of further
assistance in providing feedback to applicants, we do not have the
capability to provide any further counseling concerning your
application.

Thank you for your interest in the Albany Medical College. Best
wishes for success in your future endeavor.

I was placed on pre interview hold... anyone know if people actually get interviews after this or is it basically a rejection?

I was placed on pre interview hold... anyone know if people actually get interviews after this or is it basically a rejection?

Not sure how they handle pre-interview holds.. but may I ask when you were complete?

complete mid September
rejected today via email

Dear ME
I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for interview
this year at Albany Medical College.

It is important to know that members of our admissions committee
carefully evaluated your application. It is a responsibility that we
take very seriously. There are no automatic cut-offs with
regard to a grade point average or MCAT scores that would
automatically preclude a favorable review. Similarly, strong MCAT
scores and high levels of academic achievement do not guarantee an
interview or admission. All information available to us was taken
into account when a decision was made. This includes letters of
recommendation, your personal comments, and the range and breadth of
your activities.

To help guide you in assessing your own credentials, it may be
helpful to know that the mean undergraduate grade point average of
our present freshman class is 3.6 and 3.6 for those that were
enrolled in a graduate program. Their MCAT score averages are 10.0
verbal, 10.4 physical science, and 10.9 biology.
This is composite data; therefore, there are applicants who have
generally demonstrated both higher and lower levels of achievement in
these assessment areas. If an applicant has weaker than average
credentials in one area, these are typically offset by much stronger
results in another area.

This year we anticipate receiving over 9,000 applications.
Unfortunately, we must restrict the number of applicants we interview
to approximately 600 from which a class of 130-135 students is
selected. There is no doubt in our minds that there are many
applicants who, given the opportunity, would be caring and competent
physicians.

We suggest that you carefully evaluate your credentials with the
assistance of a premedical advisor. In addition, you may wish to
refer to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) website:
www.aamc.org. This website contains a wealth of information
concerning medical education. Also, the AAMC publishes a book
entitled Medical School Admissions Requirements; you may obtain
ordering information from the publications section of the AAMC
website.

After obtaining advice from your premedical advisor and
self-evaluation, you may be able to identify areas of your
application that need improvement. The next step is to strengthen
these areas and re-apply. Although we would like to be of further
assistance in providing feedback to applicants, we do not have the
capability to provide any further counseling concerning your
application.

Thank you for your interest in the Albany Medical College. Best
wishes for success in your future endeavor.

Hey thats the same e-mail I got! And here I was thinking that they truly considered me as an applicant and wrote me a personalized letter detailing why they couldn't take me. Now to find out it was a form letter, I'm going to go cry:cry:.

I bet they took the secondary application fee and bought a bottle of scotch so they could laugh at applicants. Hell thats what I would do.

Not sure how they handle pre-interview holds.. but may I ask when you were complete?

I was complete mid-Sept... Received the pre-interview hold e-mail on Nov 24th. However, my stats are not that competitive for MD (3.5c, 3.3s, 30) and I have only received one MD interview so far... so I wasn't really expecting an interview from albany!

I was also placed on hold today. I guess it's better than being rejected outright, but I'm not sure if there's really a lot of difference. (Anyone on hold actually get an interview subsequently?)

for people placed on hold, does it show on the status page? thanks!

I was also placed on hold today. I guess it's better than being rejected outright, but I'm not sure if there's really a lot of difference. (Anyone on hold actually get an interview subsequently?)

Were you notified by email, or snail mail? And when were you complete? Thanks

for people placed on hold, does it show on the status page? thanks!

Nope, the status page still says complete and ready for review (for me at least)

and nico, it comes by e-mail

Interviewed here yesterday... crossin my fingers for that acceptance e-mail

i thought acceptances only came by mail? can someone confirm?

i thought acceptances only came by mail? can someone confirm?
They told us that they discuss the interviewees every Tuesday, and if accepted we'll first get an email followed by an acceptance letter in the mail. I got the acceptance email the Wednesday after my interview. Waiting for the letter now...

Received an e-mail today explaining I am 'Still Under Consideration.' Anyone know if there's much movement? And even better, anyone know what SCORE they automatically accept from?

Received an e-mail today explaining I am 'Still Under Consideration.' Anyone know if there's much movement? And even better, anyone know what SCORE they automatically accept from?

their score is internal

:laugh: some people are just too neurotic

I'm curious about my score too, because if it's too low, I basically have no chance at getting on the WL, much less scoring an immediate acceptance in coming months. It'd be nice to know at least if I were like in the top 3rd, middle 3rd, or bottom 3rd of the "still under consideration" pool. Or failing that, in the top half or bottom half. I don't know why they have to be so secretive with their internal scores... what's the harm in us knowing where we stand with them ?

I'm curious about my score too, because if it's too low, I basically have no chance at getting on the WL, much less scoring an immediate acceptance in coming months. It'd be nice to know at least if I were like in the top 3rd, middle 3rd, or bottom 3rd of the "still under consideration" pool. Or failing that, in the top half or bottom half. I don't know why they have to be so secretive with their internal scores... what's the harm in us knowing where we stand with them ?

well, i agree with knowing top 1/3, etc. that would be useful. the other poster just sounded like they wanted to know their score to like the thousandths place :laugh: but i agreee, some kind of indication of where we stand would be nice

We were actually told during the info session there is a score cutoff. That's the number I was asking about. I don't really understand how my question could have been misunderstood. Since my interviewer literally flashed my pre-interview score in front of my face, the cutoff would be nice to know.

Sorry for your misunderstanding. Good luck!

We were actually told during the info session there is a score cutoff. That's the number I was asking about. I don't really understand how my question could have been misunderstood. Since my interviewer literally flashed my pre-interview score in front of my face, the cutoff would be nice to know.

Sorry for your misunderstanding. Good luck!

Well, the cutoff is most likely flexible and will change depending on the number and quality of applicants, so even if they gave you a cutoff number, it might not mean much.

Very true....I thought it would be a reasonable assumption that the distribution should be relatively similar year to year. But then again, who knows how the interview actually went down? We can drop the topic...just keeping myself occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.