2008-2009 Emory Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heyy, question for girls...

how long is the interview? (like time-wise). i'm reading the interview invite with the extensive recommendation to bring tennis shoes for the tour... i'd really much rather wear my heels, although my feet do hate me when i wear them. is the tour manageable in heels?

emory has the longest tour ever. i wish your feet luck

Members don't see this ad.

emory has the longest tour ever. i wish your feet luck

You're on your feet for a LONG time, I wore flats and my feet in the end were still not the happiest. They give you a 5-10 min time period to change your shoes...they are very accommodating.

Emory, why are you so slow? (They still do not have my letters input into the system yet!)

i would call them, they couldn't find mine in interfolio (??) and i had to resend them. FINALLY i'm complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would call them, they couldn't find mine in interfolio (??) and i had to resend them. FINALLY i'm complete.

mine was through snail mail (Stupid career center) and they have not reached my batch or something... I called. She said to wait 2 Weeks!

does anyone know if they have a second look day?

Congratulations! That's great! You got it via mail I assume? I'm going to be nervous to check my mailbox when I get back in town. Yes, I'm quite sure they have a second look, but can't remember when. My host said that she found her apartment and roomate during second look.

heyy, question for girls...

how long is the interview? (like time-wise). i'm reading the interview invite with the extensive recommendation to bring tennis shoes for the tour... i'd really much rather wear my heels, although my feet do hate me when i wear them. is the tour manageable in heels?

I definitely wore heels for the interview and changed into tennis shoes for the tour. My host student said she did the same thing when she went for her interview. I just got accepted, so they must not care too much.. Good luck!

Congratulations! That's great! You got it via mail I assume? I'm going to be nervous to check my mailbox when I get back in town. Yes, I'm quite sure they have a second look, but can't remember when. My host said that she found her apartment and roomate during second look.

Yes, I got it in the mail. That's awesome that she found a roommate then. I'm afraid I might not be around during the second look day unless it is early though:( When did you interview?

Yes, I got it in the mail. That's awesome that she found a roommate then. I'm afraid I might not be around during the second look day unless it is early though:( When did you interview?

Oct. 10. How bout you? And I really really liked it so I'm nervous about hearing. I feel like second look might have been junish, but really have no idea. :D

Oct. 10. How bout you? And I really really liked it so I'm nervous about hearing. I feel like second look might have been junish, but really have no idea. :D

I interviewed the 23rd.. lucked out since the next meeting was close (Nov 4th). That would be awesome if it's in June. I'll be back around by then. I hope you get great news when you get back to town!

does anyone know if they have a second look day?

Congratulations!! I got my acceptance letter today too!!! :luck:

They have a Housing Weekend, which I'm sure they'll send us more info about later on. Look at the bottom of the 2nd page in the packet. Housing Weekend is scheduled from June 5-6, 2009, so hopefully that works well for your schedule.

Congratulations!! I got my acceptance letter today too!!! :luck:

They have a Housing Weekend, which I'm sure they'll send us more info about later on. Look at the bottom of the 2nd page in the packet. Housing Weekend is scheduled from June 5-6, 2009, so hopefully that works well for your schedule.

I just got in! First acceptance and really thrilled. It was a nervous walk to my mailbox after I got back into town today!

Members don't see this ad :)
To everyone who has already interviewed...
I have my interview coming up this week. Is the group interview as scary as it sounds? Any tips for surviving it?

To everyone who has already interviewed...
I have my interview coming up this week. Is the group interview as scary as it sounds? Any tips for surviving it?

there's a group interview at emory??

there's a group interview at emory??

The Emory Interview Day will include:
A welcome session with the Dean and Director of Admissions
Two interviews (a group interview and a one-on-one interview)
Tours of Grady Hospital, the Emory campus, and the Emory School of Medicine building
Lunch (and snacks!)
Time to visit a class or small group session
Many opportunities to talk with current medical students, faculty, deans, and Admissions staff
An overnight stay with a current medical student (optional)

THE INTERVIEWS
You will have two interviews. The individual interview is a one-on-one session with a faculty member of the Admissions Committee. The group interview consists of 3 applicants interviewed by 3 interviewers (2 faculty Committee members and a 3rd or 4th year medical student). The names of your interviewers will be provided to you on the morning of your interview day. There is nothing you need to do to "prepare" for these interviews. Just be yourself!

Last edited:
Ithought the email said it was a panel interview? As in multiple inteviewers, not interviewees? It still sounds scary!

It's really not bad at all, I promise. It's three interviewers (a med student, a dean I think, and a faculty) and three interviewees. The interviewers sit across the table from the interviewees. For the most part they ask each person a specific question, although there were a couple questions that everyone got asked. It was more get to know you--the questions were conversational. Myself and the two others with me were nervous going in, but decided afterwards we shouldn't have been worried at all. You'll be fine! Good luck!

I'm glad to hear that the group interview isn't too stressful. I have been wondering about that, as well. Is it just a way for them to save time?

I could picture it being absolutely awful, with the other students trying to out-shine the person sitting next to them. Am I being to negative about my fellow applicants?

My friend didn't have a pleasant experience at her Emory interview, and had mentioned the group interview as a factor. I think part of it was that we go to a large, pretty low-ranked public school and the rest of the interviewees were from Stanford, Duke, Ivys, etc. Even though she got the interview just like everyone else (which is a pretty good accomplishment in itself), I still think that might have intimidated her a little bit and given her the impression that's what the student body would be like.

Which, it might be. I have no idea.

The student interviewer in your interview group will be the one giving you the tour / has already given you your tour earlier in the day. So expect lots of ass-kissing during the tour.

The student interviewer in your interview group will be the one giving you the tour / has already given you your tour earlier in the day. So expect lots of ass-kissing during the tour.

Really?? What is the purpose in that? Seems like it would be much more difficult to get a good idea of the school because no one would ask honest questions. Oh bother, I'm no good at brown-nosing.

Really?? What is the purpose in that? Seems like it would be much more difficult to get a good idea of the school because no one would ask honest questions. Oh bother, I'm no good at brown-nosing.

Oh bother, indeed. :(

Yeah, I didn't really think highly of that, but the school is still awesome despite that! Don't worry, I'm sure the ass-kissing doesn't actually accomplish much besides being annoying and transparent.

Yeah, I didn't really think highly of that, but the school is still awesome despite that! Don't worry, I'm sure the ass-kissing doesn't actually accomplish much besides being annoying and transparent.

Our student interviewer/tour guide said he doesn't play a role in selecting who is accepted. I don't even remember ever talking to him during my tour, and this obviously didn't affect my admission.

The group interview, I must admit, was the most relaxing interview I've had in this process. Nerve-racking to think about it, but nice when you're there. Though I got lucky and was assigned to sit in the middle so I didn't have to worry about answering a question first. All my questions were personal, as in it would be really weird for all of us to answer the question the same/similarly; thus competition was reduced. Don't sweat it. Act like a polite, respectful person when others a talking and you'll be fine.

My friend didn't have a pleasant experience at her Emory interview, and had mentioned the group interview as a factor. I think part of it was that we go to a large, pretty low-ranked public school and the rest of the interviewees were from Stanford, Duke, Ivys, etc. Even though she got the interview just like everyone else (which is a pretty good accomplishment in itself), I still think that might have intimidated her a little bit and given her the impression that's what the student body would be like.

Oh and just remember, just because someone goes to one of those schools (which I do) doesn't mean they're that "perfect" student. Don't worry comparing yourself to them because honestly they're probably wondering if they "measure" up to you (unless they're just full of themselves....)
And you're right getting an interview is a great accomplishment, and pretty much puts everyone on equal ground regarding admission.

You're the one that's going to be a doctor, not your school :)

For those of you who have been accepted, is it true that we don't need to send a $ deposit to reserve our spot? I kind of thought all schools would ask for this, but I can't find anything about it in the forms. Thanks for your help!

For those of you who have been accepted, is it true that we don't need to send a $ deposit to reserve our spot? I kind of thought all schools would ask for this, but I can't find anything about it in the forms. Thanks for your help!

It's true, no money! There are a few schools that don't require it, and Emory is one of them! Yay :)

Does the entire interview group consist of the three interviewees? Or are there multiple groups?

Happy days are here at last! I am finally complete at Emory!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

:love::love::love:Sigh... I've fallen for Emory, I believe. And Atlanta, which I'd never been to. You all failed to mention how amazing Emory (that BUILDING! those PEOPLE! and ... GRADY!) was.... Sounds like the acceptance process can be a little nerve-wracking... it's only snail mail? And we can be accepted on any of the Acceptance days they gave us?

They seemed very serious about not writing thank you notes.. which feels funny to me because I've been doing it all along because I thought it was the polite thing to do, although I've done it after the committee has met or my interviewer would have turned in their evaluation so that it didn't look as much like sucking up. Instead, they seemed to want expressions of interest in the school. Did those of you who were accepted this past time write any kind of letter of interest/ intent?

They seemed very serious about not writing thank you notes..

Haha, yeah, they were pretty emphatic about that. :laugh:

And I also understood it that we could be accepted on any of the dates. Seems like they accept some people on each date, and re-evaluate the others at future meetings.

:love::love::love:Sigh... I've fallen for Emory, I believe. And Atlanta, which I'd never been to. You all failed to mention how amazing Emory (that BUILDING! those PEOPLE! and ... GRADY!) was.... Sounds like the acceptance process can be a little nerve-wracking... it's only snail mail? And we can be accepted on any of the Acceptance days they gave us?

They seemed very serious about not writing thank you notes.. which feels funny to me because I've been doing it all along because I thought it was the polite thing to do, although I've done it after the committee has met or my interviewer would have turned in their evaluation so that it didn't look as much like sucking up. Instead, they seemed to want expressions of interest in the school. Did those of you who were accepted this past time write any kind of letter of interest/ intent?

Emory is AMAZING. I want to live in that building, it's so gorgeous. I still remember walking up to it at 7 in the morning and my jaw dropping. Regarding the acceptance process... yeah, they make decisions about once a month (the mailout dates should be in the folder they gave you) and mail acceptance packets via snail mail only. If you're not accepted the first time, you're reconsidered over and over again.

I didn't write an LOI and still got accepted, so it's certainly not necessary, though I think it'd be worth it later on if you can honestly say it is your absolute top choice! Good luck :)

I graduated from the largest public school in the nation, ranked squarely in the 100s. In my group interview, one of the questions I got was about my school too! I don't think anyone in my interview group was from the ivies, and most of them were from state schools. Interesting how different the demographics can be from group to group.

I graduated from the largest public school in the nation, ranked squarely in the 100s. In my group interview, one of the questions I got was about my school too! I don't think anyone in my interview group was from the ivies, and most of them were from state schools. Interesting how different the demographics can be from group to group.

My group was many state schools, and a couple ivies (two of which didn't mention it in their self-intro, but I noticed it on the sheet), in general a broad range of very nice and interesting people with diverse stories and from different schools.

Anyone else going in to interview tomorrow?

:luck::luck:anyone interviewing on friday??:luck::luck:

has anyone with a late august/early sept mcat been granted an interview? and if so was your mcat 35+??

Sooo... it's the 24th... letters go out today... :scared::scared:

Who lives the closest to Emory??? I think I've got a 2-3 day wait.

has anyone received acceptance letters from the 24th?

I'm visiting my 'rents for the weekend (actually, going to a wedding), so I won't get to check mail 'til Sunday. :scared: Hopefully my housemates won't throw anything out!

So no one heard anything??? Are they pretty definite about sending the letters out on the days they say they will?

So no one heard anything??? Are they pretty definite about sending the letters out on the days they say they will?

I thought they were sending out letters on the 25th? Has anyone heard today?:xf:

the paper they gave us in the interviews said they were going to mail out letters on the 24th...but maybe they never ended up sending them out on the right day. also with thanksgiving the mail probably got a little messed up??

I just got the letter today. :)

It was sent on the 25th, so they did send this round out on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.