You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 UC Davis Secondary Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Seriously! This wait is killing me. I was in their very first interview group of the year and still haven't heard. I hope it's this week. Davis was a great school! Anyone else getting obsessive about checking their e-mail? I wonder if we'll get phone calls or just e-mails (I'm not PRIME).
I have definitely been checking my e-mail obsessively... and talking about how badly I want to get into Davis to all of my co-workers. When did you interview? And thanks for posting because I've been wondering if any of the first group interviewees had heard back yet.
I am PRIME and just got an email today giving an update.... So I am not sure how Nina found out so soon. It looks like from the email they have not told anyone:
"Admissions
Thank you for applying to UC Davis and Rural-PRIME! We have finished our interviews and most of the applicants have also gone through the selection process. We will be offering spots shortly and will have a waiting list for some. Applicants will be placed in several categories:
--Accept MD and R-PRIME
--Accept MD and waiting list R-PRIME
--Accept MD only
--Application still pending
--Not accepted at all (unfortunately)
We look forward to finding out who is coming and wish you the best on your decisions! "
So I guess that mean maybe Friday? Shortly does that mean tonight, today or in a week? ARGH this is killing me. I interviewed early December. And I do think it will most likely be an email- Good luck to everyone!
"Admissions
Thank you for applying to UC Davis and Rural-PRIME! We have finished our interviews and most of the applicants have also gone through the selection process. We will be offering spots shortly and will have a waiting list for some. Applicants will be placed in several categories:
--Accept MD and R-PRIME
--Accept MD and waiting list R-PRIME
--Accept MD only
--Application still pending
--Not accepted at all (unfortunately)
We look forward to finding out who is coming and wish you the best on your decisions! "
So I guess that mean maybe Friday? Shortly does that mean tonight, today or in a week? ARGH this is killing me. I interviewed early December. And I do think it will most likely be an email- Good luck to everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am PRIME and just got an email today giving an update.... So I am not sure how Nina found out so soon. It looks like from the email they have not told anyone:
"Admissions
Thank you for applying to UC Davis and Rural-PRIME! We have finished our interviews and most of the applicants have also gone through the selection process. We will be offering spots shortly and will have a waiting list for some. Applicants will be placed in several categories:
--Accept MD and R-PRIME
--Accept MD and waiting list R-PRIME
--Accept MD only
--Application still pending
--Not accepted at all (unfortunately)
We look forward to finding out who is coming and wish you the best on your decisions! "
So I guess that mean maybe Friday? Shortly does that mean tonight, today or in a week? ARGH this is killing me. I interviewed early December. And I do think it will most likely be an email- Good luck to everyone!
I heard via phone call. Since no one else on here has heard, I hope I didn't just lose my SDN anonymity with UCD...! Hopefully you other PRIME folks hear good news as well! Good luck

I interviewed December 1st. This wait is pretty bad, but not as bad as Hawaii! I interviewed in October and won't hear until April. I think Davis knows they are worth the wait.
I interviewed December 1st. This wait is pretty bad, but not as bad as Hawaii! I interviewed in October and won't hear until April. I think Davis knows they are worth the wait.
Agreed; Davis is well worth the wait, although that unfortunately somewhat heightens the anxiety factor. I interviewed December 10th, so I'm guessing I might not hear until sometime in March. But hopefully sooner...
I just re-read the e-mail that gave everyone a heart attack. Ed says that "Our hope is that decision notices will be sent out beginning the end of this month". I didn't realize that they "hoped" to get them out by the end of this month. Now I'm starting to think that was worded strategically to buy them some more time.
I both love and hate the way this forum gives us a way to connect instantly with each other.
Just watch as the first person to post here with a regular MD acceptance immediately sends everyone else into gloom and doom mode 😳
Maybe I should just stay away from SDN for the next week or so...
Just watch as the first person to post here with a regular MD acceptance immediately sends everyone else into gloom and doom mode 😳
Maybe I should just stay away from SDN for the next week or so...
I both love and hate the way this forum gives us a way to connect instantly with each other.
Just watch as the first person to post here with a regular MD acceptance immediately sends everyone else into gloom and doom mode 😳
Maybe I should just stay away from SDN for the next week or so...
Agreed! I check SDN constantly, and every time I see someone has recently posted my heart skips a beat in anticipation of the doom and gloom.
Agreed! I check SDN constantly, and every time I see someone has recently posted my heart skips a beat in anticipation of the doom and gloom.
I almost wish that my phone didn't have wifi, because now I can check SDN and my email between calls at work.
I both love and hate the way this forum gives us a way to connect instantly with each other.
Just watch as the first person to post here with a regular MD acceptance immediately sends everyone else into gloom and doom mode 😳
Maybe I should just stay away from SDN for the next week or so...
You're being pretty optimistic about our time-frame to receive decisions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have to wait longer. Ed did say they have to spend additional time "testing" some part of their new system. You can never tell how long "testing" may take.
You're being pretty optimistic about our time-frame to receive decisions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have to wait longer. Ed did say they have to spend additional time "testing" some part of their new system. You can never tell how long "testing" may take.
Well, if I stayed away longer than a week, then all hell could suddenly break loose with admissions, and I'd miss out on all of it. I don't know whether that would be a good or bad thing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I desperately want an invite. Should I send them an "in the area e-mail" before I go home for spring break (not to Sacramento, but SF Bay Area is closer than LA!) ?
Did you send the 'in the area' email? I've got interview invites now for Touro-CA and Western with applications pending at USC and Davis. USC might consider it, but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to send an email to Davis. Personally, I'd like to be on as few Boston-California flights as possible.
can anyone recommend a hotel nearby ? (that preferrably has a shuttle service 😛)
can anyone recommend a hotel nearby ? (that preferrably has a shuttle service 😛)
I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott. It was walking distance to the School of Medicine (like 1 block...maybe 1/2 a block but I went the wrong way 😳). You should call them directly because they have a discount for people associated with UCDMC that isn't offered on websites like hotels.com.
I thought UCD was done interviewing?? Or was that just for the PRIME program...
I thought UCD was done interviewing??
Oh hoooo no. I have an interview in late March (admittedly, it's for MD/PhD). Though I can't imagine they'll be interviewing much later than that, if they're sending out most decisions before I even get there 🙄.
i contacted a few people but they said they couldn't. maybe there's an exam coming up 😕
Any news today?
No news still!!!!!
No news still!!!!!
Yep it's a bummer. I guess that I will get to visit Toledo and Omaha next week after all. There goes a good $800 I didn't want to spend.... Unless they send admissions decisions on Saturday?
Wishful thinking.Yep it's a bummer. I guess that I will get to visit Toledo and Omaha next week after all. There goes a good $800 I didn't want to spend.... Unless they send admissions decisions on Saturday?Wishful thinking.
I'm also on the fringe of spending a bunch of money for a 2nd look weekend out of state. I wish we could find out so I could plan my life.
(Can you hear my tiny violin?)I recently spoke with a friend whose boyfriend recently interviewed at Davis, and he said that they were told that the earliest that anyone would hear back is the 3rd week of March.
Take that as you wish. I'm not sure if that means his interview group would hear back that week at the earliest (even though I doubt it), or if that refers to those who interviewed at the beginning of the cycle.
I'm checking this thread multiple times a day just like I'm sure most of you are, and I really hope that we find out much sooner, but maybe this means we still have a ways to go (3 more weeks?). Good luck folks
Take that as you wish. I'm not sure if that means his interview group would hear back that week at the earliest (even though I doubt it), or if that refers to those who interviewed at the beginning of the cycle.
I'm checking this thread multiple times a day just like I'm sure most of you are, and I really hope that we find out much sooner, but maybe this means we still have a ways to go (3 more weeks?). Good luck folks
wow, this is incredible.
i thought for sure we'd hear back by today (friday), being that it is the "end of february" (as stated in the previous email).
this means that some of us are going on 12+ weeks now... jeeeeeeez 🙁
i thought for sure we'd hear back by today (friday), being that it is the "end of february" (as stated in the previous email).
this means that some of us are going on 12+ weeks now... jeeeeeeez 🙁
I recently spoke with a friend whose boyfriend recently interviewed at Davis, and he said that they were told that the earliest that anyone would hear back is the 3rd week of March.
Take that as you wish. I'm not sure if that means his interview group would hear back that week at the earliest (even though I doubt it), or if that refers to those who interviewed at the beginning of the cycle.
I'm checking this thread multiple times a day just like I'm sure most of you are, and I really hope that we find out much sooner, but maybe this means we still have a ways to go (3 more weeks?). Good luck folks
I am pretty sure this is referring to his interview group. If they don't send out decisions soon they can't fill the class by the deadline.
wow, this is incredible.
i thought for sure we'd hear back by today (friday), being that it is the "end of february" (as stated in the previous email).
this means that some of us are going on 12+ weeks now... jeeeeeeez 🙁
Like I said earlier in this thread, if they just would have told us from the beginning that the wait would be 3-4 months then this would be much more bearable. But constantly getting my hopes up and then having them dashed is no fun.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am pretty sure this is referring to his interview group. If they don't send out decisions soon they can't fill the class by the deadline.
Well the reason I doubt it's for his group is just because that means some people will have been waiting 3+ months while this most recent group of interviewees finds out in 3 weeks? I could be wrong, but that just seems very unlikely.
Also the "deadline" that I'm assuming you're referring to is just a "Recommendation" set forth by AAMC to medical schools. This is the link to the Recommendations that was posted earlier on this thread:
http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm
But yes, I'm sure we're all hoping that decisions start coming out by next week instead of starting in 3 more weeks.
Last edited:
MY guess is that February March interviews won't have to wait as long. I believe the primary delay was due to a technical problem they were having with switching to "electronic applications". They apparently have this all sorted out and I would guess that they will be able to catch up relatively quickly and people interviewing now will have a more normal 5-6 week wait time. In the meantime we all must keep our fingers crossed!!
does anyone know if davis is still sending out interview invites?
Congrats Nina! Does anyone know if there are still invites going out. It never seemed like that many went out to begin with...and they started so late. It doesn't make sense that they are almost done interviewing.
I've emailed UCD about the status of my application earlier this week and they replied with this:
"Dear applicant: Our hope is that the Admissions Cmte. will be able to make all remaining decisions during the next two weeks. You will be notified by e-mail should there be a change in the status of your application. Thank you for your continued patience. "
I am assuming that they are done sending interview invites and just waiting to reject the rest of the application. Sucks for me 🙁
I don't think it means that there are no more interviews. I think it means that they are going to go through the second round of reviews and making final decisions: invite for interview or reject. That being said there are probably less interview spots than the first round.
I interviewed in early feb and they said expect a decision in mid april so that's about 8 to 10 wks. I don't know when the person meant by recently. But its prolly 8 to 10 wks before 3rd week of march.
The interview occurred during the second week of February, so if their group was to hear back during the 3rd week of March, that would be a wait time of 5 weeks for them. Talbo, it seems like you had an interview around the same time, so maybe it's true that the first decisions are still not going to come out for a few more weeks 🙁 I guess all we can do is wait and see
I don't think it means that there are no more interviews. I think it means that they are going to go through the second round of reviews and making final decisions: invite for interview or reject. That being said there are probably less interview spots than the first round.
I hope so cause I want an interview from UC Davis
You're not the only one.I hope so cause I want an interview from UC Davis
MY guess is that February March interviews won't have to wait as long. I believe the primary delay was due to a technical problem they were having with switching to "electronic applications". They apparently have this all sorted out and I would guess that they will be able to catch up relatively quickly and people interviewing now will have a more normal 5-6 week wait time. In the meantime we all must keep our fingers crossed!!
I agree.
Maybe they forgot that February has 28 days, so we're all gonna find out on Monday?
Good point! I think they are probably just reviewing the last few people for the main MD program...this week is gonna be the week! 👍
Is anyone else anxiously awaiting a decision for Rural-PRIME? Congrats again Nina!
just wanted to let you all know davis has started accepting people. i got a call from Ed this morning for regular MD. good luck everyone.
just wanted to let you all know davis has started accepting people. i got a call from Ed this morning for regular MD. good luck everyone.
Congrats! Can you tell us when you interviewed?
Congrats! Can you tell us when you interviewed?
of course, i interviewed on dec. 1st. i think that was the first group.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
of course, i interviewed on dec. 1st. i think that was the first group.
That is freaking awesome, CONGRATS!! Hopefully the people that interviewed on Dec. 10th will hear today as well!
just wanted to let you all know davis has started accepting people. i got a call from Ed this morning for regular MD. good luck everyone.
Congrats! I interviewed that same day Dec. 1st. If you don't mind me asking, has your status changed on the applicant portal yet?
just wanted to let you all know davis has started accepting people. i got a call from Ed this morning for regular MD. good luck everyone.
congrats man. i'm glad to hear that davis has started accepting already
just got a call from Ed and I'm in! I interviewed January 26th 

just got a call from Ed and I'm in! I interviewed January 26th![]()
Congrats! Thats a big jump from Dec 1st to Jan 26th. I wonder what type of order they are going in?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.