2008-2009 University of Wisconsin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my acceptance!!! Interviewed 12/12, reviewed by comittee 1/27, acceptance letter TODAY (1/30/09)!! I"m so excited!!! I've been through so much in my life and I'm just so excited to have finally been accepted to my top choice!! Good luck for everyone else waiting! God Bless.
:D:D:D:D:D:D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! It's a wonderful school... hoping to join you in August! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Nanon and Crelal. I'm hoping the best for you two as well!!! And yea Nanon, hopefully we'll meet in August. Our babies can play together during med school! lol. i'm due in MARCH!

Thanks Nanon and Crelal. I'm hoping the best for you two as well!!! And yea Nanon, hopefully we'll meet in August. Our babies can play together during med school! lol. i'm due in MARCH!

Wow, Congratualtions on both your acceptance and new baby! I am so happy for you! You are truly blessed! I and my wife are thinking about having our very first baby soon so count mine in for the play-date!!! It seems like school should consider running some daycare program!! :)

Also, I wish you the best, Nanon and Crelal! See you guys all in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like school should consider running some daycare program!! :) [/quote said:
LOL- We will need daycare for our kids too... only 3-5 weeks more until decision! :scared: ;) :eek:

LOL- We will need daycare for our kids too... only 3-5 weeks more until decision! :scared: ;) :eek:

I can babysit for you gals if I fail one of my classes this semester and have to retake and reapply to schools.

I can babysit for you gals if I fail one of my classes this semester and have to retake and reapply to schools.

Lol! Excellent. However, I'm doubting that this will happen, and you'll be too busy doing what we're doing to take care of our passel of children!

Hey, ladies - every hopeful, I'm already doing the search. And, I got a bunch of good info from the admin staff, too. PM me if you want! (OMG, there's a preschool/daycare that's on a freaking 8 acre FARM in West Madison!)

:xf::luck::xf:

there are also lots of babysitters who live in Eagle Heights/University Housing. They are usually retired 60+ yrs old grandparents from oversea's who are visiting their children for 6 months - a year.

The good part is it's a 2 minute drive from the med school, and they don't ask for much per hour

LOL- Have you ever seen SuperNanny? That's my crew :rolleyes:

I remember seeing information on a daycare on/close by campus, maybe somehow connected with Eagle Heights...

Just put the crew to bed about an hour ago- love them, but those terrible twos set in tonight ;)

Housing suggestions? What is Eagle Heights really like?

Nanon- I'll PM you for more info

GloryField- My in-laws are the parents that come and stay for about 6 months at a time... extra encouragement to get LOTS of studying done! ;)

eagle heights is good if you don't have a phobia for international students. Some people from small wisconsin towns, where it's not very diverse, doesn't like eagle hts because alot of grad students from overseas live there.

It's a great location though, excellent apartments, and $720 a month for 2bedroom with university internet and heat/water/laundry/parking covered, you can't ask for much more. Only utility you have to pay is electricity

I lived in eagle heights w/ my parents for the first 5 years after coming to madison. Then my parents bought a house so we moved out, and two years later I started college and lived at a dorm. I'm a senior now and just returned to sharing a 2 br with a roommate at eagle hts because I liked living there. It's very convenient and affordable and if I end up going to med school here I won't have to move

How easy is it to actually get into the apartments? I know they have a small number of 3 bedrooms- do those actually open up?

I drove through the area while in Madison, and it looked fine to me.

Convenient walk to HSLC too!:)

i have no idea. My roommate already had it, his roommate moved out so I moved in, didn't have to apply. You could call and ask, and the earlier you apply the better. If you are pretty much set on Madison you might as well.

Why do you need 3 br?

Five in our family--- way too many to put into two bedrooms. I am going to fill out the online stuff tonight... just don't want to get too ahead of myself until I have the 3 page letter in hand!

Thanks for the help :) will you be at UW this fall?

Depends on my ranking in April

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck- I am sure you'll get in!

What is the cheapest way to get to UW via airplane? I will be coming from North Carolina and wanted to what airline and airport would be best.

Thanks

Madison has one airport, it is on the northeast side of town- here is the website:

http://www.msnairport.com/

check out the arrivals/departures to get an idea of airlines/flights

hey guys, i started a UW c/o 2013 thread if anyones interested.....
i know on last years 2012 thread there were a lot of good posts on housing, daycare, laptops, etc. hopefully, we can get one going for this year too! :thumbup:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=598763

:love: I'M IN!!! Just got the call last night!!! I'm super excited!!! Can I get a woop, woop?!!? :love:

:love: I'M IN!!! Just got the call last night!!! I'm super excited!!! Can I get a woop, woop?!!? :love:

Congratulations!!!! :D

You got a phone call?!? I thought they only did snail mail!

Woop, woop!!! Congrats!!! :clap::clap::clap:

You interviewed the week before I did... :eek: I have a feeling I won't be sleeping much between now and my notification. Congrats again!!! :D

S.

Thanks a bunch Crelal and Nanon! I'm so happy!

Yeah, I got a phone call last night from the director of the WARM program telling me I was accepted and that the official letter would be coming in the mail within the next few days! It was really nice and personal.

Any other WARM applicants/students out there?

Good luck Nanon! Hope you hear good news in the next few days! :luck:

Thanks a bunch Crelal and Nanon! I'm so happy!

Yeah, I got a phone call last night from the director of the WARM program telling me I was accepted and that the official letter would be coming in the mail within the next few days! It was really nice and personal.

Any other WARM applicants/students out there?

Good luck Nanon! Hope you hear good news in the next few days! :luck:

Hey - yep, I'm a WARM program applicant and was just told that my application was put on hold ... again ... until March. I'm not sure what to do. I really would like to attend the WARM program but I've been on hold since November. Any thoughts??

Hey - yep, I'm a WARM program applicant and was just told that my application was put on hold ... again ... until March. I'm not sure what to do. I really would like to attend the WARM program but I've been on hold since November. Any thoughts??

I really pushed the fact that I'm from a small town and want to return to a small town. I have a lot of small town/tight-knit community type extracurriculars I'm involved in and I talked about how I wanted to continue being a part of these activities in the place where I end up. I also really tried to show that I have an understanding of the issues facing rural patients and medical professionals, and that as a rural patient myself, I have experienced these challenges. I definitely don't have a stellar MCAT, so that certainly was not a contributing factor to my success. Because it's a special program focusing on producing rural Wisconsin physicians, I think the things that I mentioned above were probably the most important factors in helping the adcom reach their decision. You might want to write the committee a letter of interest (or a letter of intent if it's your first choice) saying that the WARM program is absolutely how you want to get your medical education. Highlight some of these above things and why you want to end up in a rural community (both from a professional standpoint and a personal one). They want to make sure that you're not going to start out in a rural setting, then move to bigger area a few years later. I don't know; you've probably mentioned all these things in your original application. I do think writing the adcom should be your next step. It shows you're committed to the program and rural Wisconsin medicine. Hope this helps. If you have any more specific questions, let me know! :luck:

Hi all. I was accepted to WARM back in December, as well! I found our right before Christmas, what a wonderful Christmas present! I am really psyched, WARM and UW SMPH was my #1 choice. I got a call from the director, and my letter came a couple days later. (It feels good to actually have that letter in hand... but no worries, it is comming :)). I am looking forward to meeting other WARM members in August!

Hi all. I was accepted to WARM back in December, as well! I found our right before Christmas, what a wonderful Christmas present! I am really psyched, WARM and UW SMPH was my #1 choice. I got a call from the director, and my letter came a couple days later. (It feels good to actually have that letter in hand... but no worries, it is comming :)). I am looking forward to meeting other WARM members in August!

Yay for WARM and UW SMPH!!! Happy days!!! I look forward to meeting you!!!

congrats all you WARMers! lol. join the 2013 forum! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=598763
I really admire you guys cuz I am totally a big city girl and couldn't do rural!!! lol. But it will be nice to all work together at UW toward achieving one central goal.

oh and i'm rooting for you jwhales! :xf:good luck!

Does anyone have an idea of how many people get in from the waitlist if they are IS? I am sure it changes year to year, but I wasn't sure if there is an average. Also, does anyone know if you can get a rank on the waitlist if you call?

i dont think waitlist distinguishes between IS vs OOS, but I could be wrong, however I've heard approx 5-10 people get off the list during recent years

i dont think waitlist distinguishes between IS vs OOS, but I could be wrong, however I've heard approx 5-10 people get off the list during recent years

They have separate IS/OOS waitlists, and neither of them are ranked until April, I do believe. Once they've compiled the ranked list, they'll send out letters stating your position on the list. Last year, if I remember correctly, there was minimal, if any, movement for IS, but I think GloryField is at least close with the 5-10 approximation.

WOOOOOT!!!! I GOT IN!!!!! Just got the envelope - I can't believe it, I'm still screaming periodically, WOW!!!

I GOT IN!!!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

WOOOOOT!!!! I GOT IN!!!!! Just got the envelope - I can't believe it, I'm still screaming periodically, WOW!!!

Congrats! Dream come true :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so exicted for you and your family! :)

Hopefully I get the same wonderful news in the next few weeks!

congratulations!!!! I am so exicted for you and your family! :)

hopefully i get the same wonderful news in the next few weeks!

me too!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! How exciting! Congratulations!

CONGRATULATIONS! Do you think you'll go to Wisconsin? Great news :)

AWWWWWWESOME! Congratulations!! Good things come to those who deserve!

I could tell from the thin envelope it wouldn't be good news. Yet another waitlist. At least they give you some idea in April. But chalking this up as a rejection.

Soooooooo excited, just got accepted to Madison off of the "alternate list"(I was placed on the alternate list ~Jan 18)!!!!

I really loved this school

I could tell from the thin envelope it wouldn't be good news. Yet another waitlist. At least they give you some idea in April. But chalking this up as a rejection.

I'm sorry to hear that, but stay positive- it seems a few people have already come off of the waitlist prior to April.

Good luck!

Soooooooo excited, just got accepted to Madison off of the "alternate list"(I was placed on the alternate list ~Jan 18)!!!!

:D CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

The waiting is really starting to get to me... anywhere from 1-3 weeks to go!!! :rolleyes:

:xf: Here's hoping for the three page letter!

Congrats!!! I just was put on the "alternate list" on Feb 4th, hopefully I have similar luck or a good place on the list come April.

Interview coming up soon.. should be interesting! As OOS, I've been spending a lot of time reading up on Madison and UW as a whole.. the biggest question I have is about the "statewide campus".. what are the pros and cons of this particular feature of the clinical years? I feel like that would be something an IS resident would benefit the most from compared to an OOS student who knows next to nothing about rural Wisconsin.

But then again, it gives opportunities to be outside of the academic medical center hierarchy, i.e. more hands-on experiences, a little more autonomy, etc. and a better grasp on medicine outside of academia. I don't know, I feel like this could be the best or the worst feature of the clinical education at UW.. what do they talk about at the interview? How much time are you actually required to spend outside of Madison?

Congrats! :banana: The dancing banana is happy for you!

Interview coming up soon.. should be interesting! As OOS, I've been spending a lot of time reading up on Madison and UW as a whole.. the biggest question I have is about the "statewide campus".. what are the pros and cons of this particular feature of the clinical years? I feel like that would be something an IS resident would benefit the most from compared to an OOS student who knows next to nothing about rural Wisconsin.

But then again, it gives opportunities to be outside of the academic medical center hierarchy, i.e. more hands-on experiences, a little more autonomy, etc. and a better grasp on medicine outside of academia. I don't know, I feel like this could be the best or the worst feature of the clinical education at UW.. what do they talk about at the interview? How much time are you actually required to spend outside of Madison?

I got the impression that the rotations and preceptorships are set up on a lottery basis. They give a bit of preference for the close opportunities to people who have no transportation. It sounded like there are people who wind up ecstatic after the lottery and others who want to shoot someone. I couldn't extract as much information about rotation selection as I wanted. I think the rural/statewide opportunities are a huge selling point of the school; you really get to have a unique experience and understand the various problems and challenges facing small communities.

My interview was pretty laid back and the physician mostly wanted to know about me and my motivations for pursuing medicine. I didn't have to actually field the "why Wisconsin" question, but I wrote about it in the secondary. I didn't care for the dynamic in the student interview. That portion is conducted with 2 students and 4 applicants. Quite honestly, I felt like the other 3 applicants were trying to outdo each other. I only spoke a bit and only responded to conversation directed toward me during that interview but it apparently went OK.

The worst part of the school is that they are constantly trying to tweak and improve the curriculum. This may sound alright, but things apparently change mid-stride during the semester--disconcerting for a new medical student. You actually have decent odds for admission at this stage. I posted the exact numbers earlier on this thread if you are curious.

:luck: Good luck on your interview!

I got the impression that the rotations and preceptorships are set up on a lottery basis. They give a bit of preference for the close opportunities to people who have no transportation. It sounded like there are people who wind up ecstatic after the lottery and others who want to shoot someone. I couldn't extract as much information about rotation selection as I wanted. I think the rural/statewide opportunities are a huge selling point of the school; you really get to have a unique experience and understand the various problems and challenges facing small communities.

My interview was pretty laid back and the physician mostly wanted to know about me and my motivations for pursuing medicine. I didn't have to actually field the "why Wisconsin" question, but I wrote about it in the secondary. I didn't care for the dynamic in the student interview. That portion is conducted with 2 students and 4 applicants. Quite honestly, I felt like the other 3 applicants were trying to outdo each other. I only spoke a bit and only responded to conversation directed toward me during that interview but it apparently went OK.

The worst part of the school is that they are constantly trying to tweak and improve the curriculum. This may sound alright, but things apparently change mid-stride during the semester--disconcerting for a new medical student. You actually have decent odds for admission at this stage. I posted the exact numbers earlier on this thread if you are curious.

:luck: Good luck on your interview!

Awesome! Thanks for the information. Hopefully I'll find out more on interview day, and I'll report back on that. It sounds like the 4 on 2 interview doesn't really count for much, as far as I can tell...

Anyone know if UW has filled all their spots? I interviewed on 1/30 and I have 3-4 weeks yet before they said I would hear back. Just curious:rolleyes:

Anyone know if UW has filled all their spots? I interviewed on 1/30 and I have 3-4 weeks yet before they said I would hear back. Just curious:rolleyes:

Everyone who interviews has a chance at a spot in the class- last year they ended up with 163 for the 2008 entering class- I believe 7 or 8 ultimately deferred to come up with the 155. (Someone please correct me if those #s are off).

And actually, it seems encouraging that they are reviewing WL candidates and offering them spots in the class- maybe they haven't offered as many spots as in years past?

Good luck to everyone still waiting!!! :luck:

ACCEPTED!!!!! (I: 1/23):love:

I am attending for sure! Awesome school, great facilities, and first class training!

My hands are still shaking an hour after reading the letter!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting!!!!:luck:

ACCEPTED!!!!! (I: 1/23):love:

I am attending for sure! Awesome school, great facilities, and first class training!

My hands are still shaking an hour after reading the letter!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting!!!!:luck:

Yay!!! Congratulations!!! :claps:

Status
Not open for further replies.