2009-2010 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My app was completed in mid-september and I have not heard anything from Albany yet. What does this mean? Is this generally a good thing?

They probably still need to get around to looking at you.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, you give me hope. Good luck on rest of your interviews.

I'd like to destroy your hope by saying my interview was amazing and I was put on the UC list. Although I think a lot of people will be accepted off that list because they seem to be accepting very few people this cycle (or at least very few SDNers relatively to last year).

I'd like to destroy your hope by saying my interview was amazing and I was put on the UC list. Although I think a lot of people will be accepted off that list because they seem to be accepting very few people this cycle (or at least very few SDNers relatively to last year).

Damn, then what the hell are they looking for? Their average stats are quite low GPA/MCAT-wise, and you said your interview went amazing. So what do they want?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify some points here.

First the UC list. This is not a wait list at this point. The way they explain it is that everybody is given a number based upon your application, and interview(s). Every applicant's number is then placed in order. They then will admit applicants who score over a certain number during each week of the admissions committee meeting. Some weeks the number will stay the same and they will admit the applicants who score high enough. Other weeks the number will drop and students who were placed on the UC list in the past who scored over this new number are admitted. In May, the remaining list is converted into an official waiting list. So don't lose hope- many applicants are taken off the UC list and you have an opportunity every week to be pulled for admission.

Also, in terms of the GPA and MCAT scores at AMC. They are lower than other schools, however Albany has a tendency to accept many non-traditional students. There is a huge variety of student backgrounds, experience levels, and ages at Albany which makes each class unique. Keep that in mind when looking at the stats, many people have done much more than their undergrad experiences.

Lastly, despite the lower stats, Albany gets a huge number of applicants compared to other schools. They generally get 10,000 or more (especially this year from what I hear) and accept around 90 traditional admission students. I'm not discouraging you, but it is a very competitive school just like every other medical school is. I just think AMC gets a bad name from medical students based on "low" statistics and older facilities. However, I think it is a fantastic school that provides you with a great education and the same degree as every other medical school in the US. The facilities are old but the faculty and student's are fantastic and more than make up for the older facilities. A shiny exterior does not guarantee a quality education, you just have to find the right fit for you and in the end statistics of the school do not matter only your grades and work ethic will shine through.

Try to keep up hope through this whole process. It's long and tiring, but luckily, despite the statistics mentioned above, the UC list at Albany generally does move much more than they tell you at the interview (they were speaking of the wait list when saying that at times they get no movement, NOT the UC list). So keep up the hard work and it will eventually pay off.

Thanks for clearing things up, med11323. That was helpful.

Try to keep up hope through this whole process. It's long and tiring, but luckily, despite the statistics mentioned above, the UC list at Albany generally does move much more than they tell you at the interview (they were speaking of the wait list when saying that at times they get no movement, NOT the UC list). So keep up the hard work and it will eventually pay off.

I thought that was the case :)

Or maybe I hoped it was.

Interview invite! I received an email yesterday after submitting my secondary 9/16. The dates available for interview were in the first and second weeks of March. Looking forward to making the trip.

I got an interview invite on 12/21 (my birthday! :)) This was rather surprising considering that I got the 'status update after new years email.' Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: Yay 100th post!

I got an interview invite on 12/21 (my birthday! :)) This was rather surprising considering that I got the 'status update after new years email.' Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: Yay 100th post!

Congrats.

This was my first contact with Albany since my submission. Though I think I read previously in this thread that the same thing happened with BlueElmo.

Congratulations! I spent two hours earlier in the week writing Albany a letter of interest, and therefore being slightly late to work, just to receive an e-mail on how Albany doesn't accept LOI! :rolleyes: Good luck on your interview!

Congrats.

This was my first contact with Albany since my submission. Though I think I read previously in this thread that the same thing happened with BlueElmo.

Yeah, I thought they were going to review me after the new year, I'm glad they decided not to.

Interview invite! I received an email yesterday after submitting my secondary 9/16. The dates available for interview were in the first and second weeks of March. Looking forward to making the trip.

When I scheduled mine in mid-December, they were doing it for early Februray. Now they are all the way into March, filling up pretty fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes same thing happened to me. Interview invite from Albany shortly after St. Louis. Was a nice surprise.

Happy New Year to all of you! I wish all SDNers best of luck and to get into med.school :laugh::xf:

Just checked my email...Interview Invite!!! I have to wait til 8 to see what interview slots are left.

Hold listed pre-interview. Is this game over for this school?

just got the "under consideration" email. too bad you can't find out your rank. thought the interview went really well... seems like UC can turn into an acceptance at any time though. really not sure if I would go here over MCW, but at least I don't have to make that decision yet

just got the "under consideration" email. too bad you can't find out your rank. thought the interview went really well... seems like UC can turn into an acceptance at any time though. really not sure if I would go here over MCW, but at least I don't have to make that decision yet

When did you interview?

Withdrawing my app under UC status. Good luck everyone.

For anyone that interviewed in the afternoon (start at 11:15), what time where you done?

I'm hoping to catch a bus back to boston that leaves at 4:30

thanks!

For anyone that interviewed in the afternoon (start at 11:15), what time where you done?

I'm hoping to catch a bus back to boston that leaves at 4:30

thanks!

That might be cutting it close. It really depends on luck. I was at the school until about 4:15 I think, as my first interviewer was late and my two interviews lasted a total of 2 hours 45 minutes. However, I was also the last one there, so most people got out earlier. Interviews here seem to be on the long side, but most likely you will get out of there by 4. It could work out for you, depending on where the bus leaves from, but you might want a backup plan.

for those accepted here, has anyone received any info about filling out financial aid forms?

Anyone know what the grading system here is like?

Anyone know what the grading system here is like?

It's a modified traditional grading system masquerading as a pass/fail. In each unit you can earn an EH (excellent with honors), E (excellent), G (good), M (marginal), or U (unsatisfactory). Grades are based on the class average and standard deviation for the unit (in second year, this often means your grade on one test). On any given test, most of the class will get a G. The general rule is if you're 1.5 SDs above the mean you're in the E range, and 2 or more SDs above the mean puts you in the EH range. In most units, 3-4 people will get an EH, another 10-15 will get an E, almost everyone else will get a G, and there may be a few Ms and the occasional U. Whatever faculty member is in charge of the specific unit has some leeway in terms of how many "EH" and "E" grades to give, so sometimes there will be 8-10 "EH" and another 15-20 "E" grades. Sometimes they will be more strict about the top grades.

In the clinical years, your grade is based on a combination of standardized evaluation forms, various assignments given at the discretion of the clerkship director, and your score on the standardized shelf exam taken on the last day of each rotation. Grades are assigned in a similar manner, with your grade dependent on the performance of the other people on the same rotations as you.

Accepted! :D

Just got the email after being 'under consideration' since 12/1.

My first acceptance! I can't believe it!

Accepted! :D

Just got the email after being 'under consideration' since 12/1.

My first acceptance! I can't believe it!

Woow congrats!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I guess this means they don't wait till April to take the UC people?? Oooh but now I just sit around nervous all the time :D :D

Congrats again!!

Woow congrats!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I guess this means they don't wait till April to take the UC people?? Oooh but now I just sit around nervous all the time :D :D

Congrats again!!

That's good news for us on the UC list! Except I didn't get an email this week so :(

Hopefully soon!

That's good news for us on the UC list! Except I didn't get an email this week so :(

Hopefully soon!

I got an email this week!!

(The UC email hehehe )

:xf::xf:

Ohhh Albany,

You don't use AMCAS. You accept no updates or phone calls. Silent rejection king! Your ninja skills against applicants is impressive :rolleyes:

Ohhh Albany,

You don't use AMCAS. You accept no updates or phone calls. Silent rejection king! Your ninja skills against applicants is impressive :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they reject either via email or snail mail. As far as I know there aren't any silent rejections.

I just got the same email today!! (Also U/C since 12/1). I was in complete disbelief! There's still hope, guys!

I'm pretty sure they reject either via email or snail mail. As far as I know there aren't any silent rejections.

Ofcoarse rejections eventually come. But I am pretty sure a lot of schools wont let you know you're rejected untill they have no interview spots left to offer. Could be wrong though! Better to keep the faith anyhow :thumbup:~!

Congrats on recent acceptances, guys.

I just got the same email today!! (Also U/C since 12/1). I was in complete disbelief! There's still hope, guys!

:(

The sad thing is, this is encouraging to me, but I know it should be discouraging because I didn't get the email. The only happy part is that I know they'll be lowering the minimum score again soon, and hopefully above it :)

Probably not though. I seem to have terrible luck this year.

Withdraw post interview invite. Good luck to all of you!!

:(

The sad thing is, this is encouraging to me, but I know it should be discouraging because I didn't get the email. The only happy part is that I know they'll be lowering the minimum score again soon, and hopefully above it :)

Probably not though. I seem to have terrible luck this year.

Let it give you hope!
From what I hear Albany makes their UC list move a lot so they can fill their class by the time the waitlist comes out, leaving typically very little waitlist movement.

I have also been on the UC list since 12/1 so this gives me a ton of hope!!! Also timing wise (from posts on SDN) it seems Albany sent out their UC list emails in a list. I wonder if those who got them on different days are on different places on the list or if was just done alphabetically.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Albany for me and for everyone else on the UC list!!!

Good Luck All!!!

Last edited:
Still on "hold for interview"...... >_<

Let it give you hope!
From what I hear Albany makes their UC list move a lot so they can fill their class by the time the waitlist comes out, leaving typically very little waitlist movement.

I have also been on the UC list since 12/1 so this gives me a ton of hope!!! Also timing wise (from posts on SDN) it seems Albany sent out their UC list emails in a list. I wonder if those who got them on different days are on different places on the list or if was just done alphabetically.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Albany for me and for everyone else on the UC list!!!

Good Luck All!!!

Hmm I wonder this too. I got mine the DAY after the committee met. I wonder if this means I'd be in the middle: easy to not accept, easy to not reject :laugh:

Hmm I wonder this too. I got mine the DAY after the committee met. I wonder if this means I'd be in the middle: easy to not accept, easy to not reject :laugh:

Welcome to the UC :)

You'll probably get accepted before me.

Ummm. I didnt even get the New Year update email... =/

Yeah... I got rejected a LONG time ago (pre-Interview). Definitely not silent.

Wonder why they hated me so much...

Status
Not open for further replies.