2009-2010 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got that too...you got it because you are black. Basically anyone whos disadvantaged/URM gets that packet. I wouldnt look too much into like they are recruiting you. I think they are just trying to maybe get more minority/poor people to apply there. If you look at the MSAR they had exactly one black student and like 6 mexican/latin students matriculate...not exactly the pinnacle of diversity, im thinking thats a possible reason why we got these letters?:shrug:

Ok, good. I was thinking the same thing, but I hadn't seen anything else about it on SDN. Thanks :laugh:

I got that too...you got it because you are black. Basically anyone whos disadvantaged/URM gets that packet. I wouldnt look too much into like they are recruiting you. I think they are just trying to maybe get more minority/poor people to apply there. If you look at the MSAR they had exactly one black student and like 6 mexican/latin students matriculate...not exactly the pinnacle of diversity, im thinking thats a possible reason why we got these letters?:shrug:

Aren't you asian, elijah? call me a stalker, but I remember you having an asian fellow as your avatar previously...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody submit this sucker? I finished my essays Friday, just giving myself a few days away from them before I proof-read and submit. I'm thinking tomorrow night. (I also have to shave so I can take and upload a picture.)

Aren't you asian, elijah? call me a stalker, but I remember you having an asian fellow as your avatar previously...
yes im azn, but i am disadvantaged hence why i got it. I didnt mean i was black.

Anybody submit this sucker? I finished my essays Friday, just giving myself a few days away from them before I proof-read and submit. I'm thinking tomorrow night. (I also have to shave so I can take and upload a picture.)
I submitted but not with a picture last week.:)

I turned this one in the same day I got it. No picture for me as well.

I just submitted this one yesterday. I hope they like the "Tell us more about yourself" essay =p

dam, y'all are moving along very quickly. must say. i am still in planning stages.

I submitted but not with a picture last week.:)

I turned this one in the same day I got it. No picture for me as well.

why not submit with a picture? wouldn't it be easier for them to match your face with your application when interview time comes, or after interviews when they're deciding whether or not to accept you?

why not submit with a picture? wouldn't it be easier for them to match your face with your application when interview time comes, or after interviews when they're deciding whether or not to accept you?
I dont have a suitable picture thats appropriate for med schools. I need to go to some place and get some passport photos or something. Its optional so it doesnt matter at all.

I left my passport pictures back at my home when I was filling this out.

whew. just submitted it. i submitted a photo, but i don't think it really matters whether you do or don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
whew. just submitted it. i submitted a photo, but i don't think it really matters whether you do or don't.

unless you're super good looking or just butt ugly.

Anybody not received this one yet? It sounded like people had gotten it before primaries were even released, but I listed Dartmouth and haven't gotten it yet. And my school e-mail doesn't have a spam folder, so it's not there. Just wondering if I should e-mail them or just wait, if other people haven't gotten it yet.

/neuroticism

Anybody not received this one yet? It sounded like people had gotten it before primaries were even released, but I listed Dartmouth and haven't gotten it yet. And my school e-mail doesn't have a spam folder, so it's not there. Just wondering if I should e-mail them or just wait, if other people haven't gotten it yet.

/neuroticism
defiantly wait. No where near panic time they cant send like 5k emails all at one time.

I think I'm complete: they have my secondary, my fee, and my LORs, but they didn't actually send me an email... hmmm....

I think I'm complete: they have my secondary, my fee, and my LORs, but they didn't actually send me an email... hmmm....
Its only one week into the process...they probably have a thousand+ apps to deal with id not worry...man fml you are getting worse then me...whats happening to us :laugh:

Me too. All my three circles are green on their site. Man, they are quick. But no email.

I haven't received a secondary invite either :/

its so bizarre that i received invites from dartmouth and columbia but my amcas isnt verified and i've received nothing from any other school...AMCAS is WHACK son!

Its only one week into the process...they probably have a thousand+ apps to deal with id not worry...man fml you are getting worse then me...whats happening to us :laugh:

I knew this process would catch up to us! ::shakes fist in air::
Let's just hope this doesn't happen to us::boom:

:laugh:

wow i submitted this secondary already but i just realized one stupid grammar mistake i made on one of my responses (after looking over the PDF version). greatt. goodbye dartmouth.

also, did the formatting in anyone else's response get a little messed up? my apostrophes are all gone. i copied/pasted from notepad, which i thought would work. guess not.

lol lesson learned...be more careful before submitting a secondary. i was way too much in a rush to hand it in as soon as possible.

wow i submitted this secondary already but i just realized one stupid grammar mistake i made on one of my responses (after looking over the PDF version). greatt. goodbye dartmouth.

also, did the formatting in anyone else's response get a little messed up? my apostrophes are all gone. i copied/pasted from notepad, which i thought would work. guess not.

lol lesson learned...be more careful before submitting a secondary. i was way too much in a rush to hand it in as soon as possible.

My apostrophes were gone too.

I think that's why some people recommend converting to plain text format and then copying and pasting

I tried to copy/paste from Notepad also ek1099. That's what AMCAS says to do for your personal statement. That didn't work for me either - my apostrophes were missing too.

I think that's why some people recommend converting to plain text format and then copying and pasting
Can someone post on how to do this for Microsoft Word 2007? I think it was posted earlier but that must have been for Word 2003 because I couldn't find those menus/buttons.

Dartmouth is totally my first choice. The weird thing is, I think this is partly because of their website...it was the best designed I saw. Very imformative, and it made it seem like they really support their students and care about teaching. Was anyone else grabbed by it?

I submitted my AMCAS yesterday and now I'm waiting for verification...I'm glad the secondary prompts are here, but I'm still waiting on 2 LORs! This is going to be a long process...

I tried to copy/paste from Notepad also ek1099. That's what AMCAS says to do for your personal statement. That didn't work for me either - my apostrophes were missing too.

I called AMCAS last month and they only recommend typing your PS directly into the the app - I asked about cut and paste from Notepad, and they said they don't recommend it.

Dartmouth is totally my first choice. The weird thing is, I think this is partly because of their website...it was the best designed I saw. Very imformative, and it made it seem like they really support their students and care about teaching. Was anyone else grabbed by it?

I was very positively impressed with the Dartmouth-Hitchcock medical center when I visited: http://www.dhmc.org/ It is very new, easy to get around, huge, and patient-centered. It looks a lot like a mall, which was designed intentionally to comfort patients. There is a large concert piano in the main hallway. Doctors periodically stop by and play a few pieces for the patients. It's very comforting.

DMS has very strong research in public health. I see a number of articles from DMS in the New England Journal of Medicine in almost every issue. They are very well funded through NIH. You will have plenty of research opportunities, both clinical and basic. Dartmouth graduate school is very strong as well, which contributes to high quality of basic research conducted at this school.

DMS has astonishingly friendly financial aid office. You will be treated with a lot of personalized attention. They had the most friendly staff. DMS offers a number of scholarship and subsidized loans.

I left with a very positive feeling about DMS. My financial aid award was very attractive. I decided against it because 1) the school is in a rural area and I needed to be in the city 2) I did not like their lecture-based teaching system 3) the patient population is quite small compared to Boston, although DHMC serves ME, VT and NH all together.

i actually called the admissions office and they said that though on the PDF all our indentations and apostrophes and quotation marks are messed up, on their copy it shows up fine for some reason.

she said not to worry about it because they know that this glitch is going on, so it wont affect some ppl over others in the admissions process.

hope this lessens the worry!

Anyone else still without a secondary invite? I have been verified since 6/9.

i actually called the admissions office and they said that though on the PDF all our indentations and apostrophes and quotation marks are messed up, on their copy it shows up fine for some reason.

she said not to worry about it because they know that this glitch is going on, so it wont affect some ppl over others in the admissions process.

hope this lessens the worry!

:laugh:. Good to know.

^Yeah thanks for that info! So I guess if it came out okay for their copy we can still copy/paste through Notepad/Wordpad on other secondaries. Or, to be safe, we could write directly into the textboxes on applications. The problem is many secondaries won't let you save and come back to them.

I called AMCAS last month and they only recommend typing your PS directly into the the app - I asked about cut and paste from Notepad, and they said they don't recommend it.
Yeah you are right. I checked the 2010 application tips PDF again and it says they strongly recommend typing directly into the application, but if you choose to copy/paste, to use Wordpad or Notepad.

We strongly recommend that applicants type their essays directly into the
AMCAS application in order to avoid formatting issues. However, applicants who plan to cut & paste their essays into the application should use a text-only format, preferably in text-only word processing software,
such as Microsoft Notepad or Word Pad. After cutting and pasting, review the essay again before submitting your application.

Submitted! :)

I know some schools never actually send you a "you're complete" email if there is a way to check that online...not sure if Dartmouth's one of those schools or not. But if all of your circles are green on the website, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

So I've heard about how DMS really makes an effort to diversify their student body, but I couldn't really find anything about it on their website. I know they have a really small class size - should I expect it to be a very homogeneous one?

So I've heard about how DMS really makes an effort to diversify their student body, but I couldn't really find anything about it on their website. I know they have a really small class size - should I expect it to be a very homogeneous one?
I think they are making an effort to make a more diverse class just judging by the letters and packets they sent out too all disadvantage/minority applicants. The MSAR only gives data based on race, not other conditions such as age, finances, or other factors that can make a diverse class, but based on race alone its not the most diverse class there is..

I think they are making an effort to make a more diverse class just judging by the letters and packets they sent out too all disadvantage/minority applicants. The MSAR only gives data based on race, not other conditions such as age, finances, or other factors that can make a diverse class, but based on race alone its not the most diverse class there is..

I think pretty much every school is suddenly claiming a "commitment to diversity".... they get more money that way, or so I'm told

I still haven't gotten their secondary. Hopefully it will come soon.

I think pretty much every school is suddenly claiming a "commitment to diversity".... they get more money that way, or so I'm told
You are probably right, like i said i dont really know. Ivys in general dont scream diverse in any classes imo so it is what it is. I guess well all see.

Okay, thanks. I have a pretty diverse background, so I'm just trying to figure out which schools I should try to mention that too. I was considering writing about it in the additional info essay (the second one) for DMS, but maybe not...

Okay, thanks. I have a pretty diverse background, so I'm just trying to figure out which schools I should try to mention that too. I was considering writing about it in the additional info essay (the second one) for DMS, but maybe not...
ALL schools basically will say they are interested in diversity and any essay about diversity can be a good one. Diversity essays will be used in probably 1/2 the schools u apply to. If its true, meaningful, and something you are proud of just write about it. No school is "against" diversity so to speak and will not like your diversity essay. If u want to include it for dartmouth do so, it wont be a bad idea unles its a lie or kinda far fetched.

i'm guessing they just haven't downloaded them from AMCAS yet b/c my LOR light is still red too and has been for a while

DMS has astonishingly friendly financial aid office. You will be treated with a lot of personalized attention. They had the most friendly staff. DMS offers a number of scholarship and subsidized loans.

I left with a very positive feeling about DMS. My financial aid award was very attractive. I decided against it because 1) the school is in a rural area and I needed to be in the city 2) I did not like their lecture-based teaching system 3) the patient population is quite small compared to Boston, although DHMC serves ME, VT and NH all together.

I'm hoping this wldn't matter cos DMS is now P/F for the first yr. How freaking sweet is that!
And oh, yea DMS's scholarships are pretty generous....

DMS is really heterogenous...they attract top quality folk from around/ouside the country...and just like in most med schools, you'll see people with very diverse backgrounds..

I would MOST DEF. mention it in your essay, n your subsequent interview. Would def. help a lot IMO...

Last edited:
Anyone else taking forever for their LOR green light to light up?
I am but maybe it takes a while? I just submitted creightons secondary and it states that it takes 3 weeks for them get the lors from amcas after submission of the secondary...while i know all schools are different, maybe this is something that is similar to a lot of schools? Just a guess though...but it would explain why I am not complete at so many schoosl 1 week later.

To one of the current DMS students, what is it like being in Hanover? How close are you to major cities?

To one of the current DMS students, what is it like being in Hanover? How close are you to major cities?
I went to Tuck at Dartmouth for a summer and Hanover is absolutely wonderful. It isn't super close to any major cities (approx. 3 hours from Boston), but it is beautiful and you will definitely enjoy it, especially if you are an outdoors type of person. There are plenty of places to canoe, swim, camp, and hike-- very woodsy. Also, the locals are extremely friendly to students and are generally upper-middle class.

Maybe it's because I'm from Illinois where trees and hills (let alone mountains) are considered exciting, but if you fly into Boston and drive the rest of the way up, the drive is breathtaking. I'd consider Hanover to be a more "rural" area, but not in the "farming" sense. There are many quaint shops and good eats, too.

In summary, Hanover is AWESOME for anyone who isn't dead set on urban living. If you would even consider living in a non-urban area, you will love Hanover.

Status
Not open for further replies.