2009-2010 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we got an email saying they're missing GA residency docs, we should send some "optional" documents? Or do we need to send the notarized affidavit from the secondary (from "resources" under "read me")?

My impression regarding the affadavit was that if they need it, they will request it. Also, I thought we were only "required" to submit a copy of our driver's license....

Members don't see this ad.

So if we got an email saying they're missing GA residency docs, we should send some "optional" documents? Or do we need to send the notarized affidavit from the secondary (from "resources" under "read me")?
If residency is in question, then I would say yes, fax over or send over some "optional" documents. I think lstone is correct--if they need the affidavit they will request it.

Also lstone, the only required document is your license, but my conversation with the admissions office basically amounted to this: we want whatever you can send.

I had questionable residency, for the state of GA, when I applied to MCG. MCG is very slow about alerting you to this issue (I have heard of people calling in January and finding this out), so it is best to be pro-active about it. Call the admissions office and ask them if there is a residency hold on your application. If there is, you will be emailed an additional residency form that you will have to fill out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a few people that have scholarships atm. Some are in-state and some out-of-state.

I'm getting really excited about MCG! With or without scholarships, the price is truly unbeatable.

If you end up taking out loans, most of us are doing about 40k/year (Tuition + Fees ~21,000/year)

I had questionable residency, for the state of GA, when I applied to MCG. MCG is very slow about alerting you to this issue (I have heard of people calling in January and finding this out), so it is best to be pro-active about it. Call the admissions office and ask them if there is a residency hold on your application. If there is, you will be emailed an additional residency form that you will have to fill out.

I called yesterday and apparently your file will not be complete until you send off proof of GA residency. It was my understanding that those documents were optional and would be asked for if requried. However, I would go ahead and mail them off just to be safe.

This is my account charges for this semester...

Activity Fee $43.00
Disability Insurance $88.35
Human Materials Lab Fee $150.00
Microscope Rental $60.00
Medicine Liability Insurance $60.00
Student Parking Fees $310.00
Student Health Insurance $551.00
Student Health Fee $143.00
Technology Fee $100.00
Wellness Center $70.00
Software Purchase $7.00
Institutional Fee $100.00
Medicine Resident Tuition $10,704.00

Interview invite! Woohoo!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh I just got a call that told me that they approved my affidavit for residency earlier today, but didn't say anything about an interview... I hope that comes next:xf:

hey when were you complete? Also, do they notify you by email or the status just changes on their secondary application?

I was complete towards the end of august (I forget what date at the moment). They send you an email, although my status could have updated before they sent the email and I wouldn't know, since I hadn't been checking the status page. I only sent in residency documents about a week ago, and they told me on the phone before I sent them that they're required before your application will be reviewed, even though it says "optional" on the page where it requests them.

As far as I can see there are still plenty of October interview slots open. I hope you guys get lucky too!

anyone know if they are likely to send out letters for EDP this week? or will it probably be the next week?

I would expect them to get mailed this week. The committee has completed the EDP reviews and have agreed on a number to accept. So, all they have to do is print the letters, sign the forms, and get them in the mail.

I bet someone gets one by Friday/Saturday.

Hope you sleep well! lol

Are they only going to send it by mail? I put my home address as the place to send it not thinking about the fact I would be in school when they sent letters out. Will they e-mail us too?

Are they only going to send it by mail? I put my home address as the place to send it not thinking about the fact I would be in school when they sent letters out. Will they e-mail us too?

I received a letter in the mail last year.

I spoke with someone in the admissions department on Friday and they said that EDP letters would be mailed within the next week most likely arriving at the end of next week or beginning of the following week.

Anyone know if regular applicants are getting interview invites yet? I submitted my secondary 8/10 but was complete just last week. I am getting anxious!!

I spoke with someone in the admissions department on Friday and they said that EDP letters would be mailed within the next week most likely arriving at the end of next week or beginning of the following week.
Damn, let the stressing out begin, and good luck to everyone!

Anyone know if regular applicants are getting interview invites yet? I submitted my secondary 8/10 but was complete just last week. I am getting anxious!!
I just got an e-mail invite at 8:30 tonight!! Reg applicant btw. I cant wait for this one. Scheduled for 10/30.

I just got an e-mail invite at 8:30 tonight!! Reg applicant btw. I cant wait for this one. Scheduled for 10/30.

I called today and was told they will not process my file until they see my tax forms. I already sent in a copy of my DL and voter registration card. Have you guys had this much difficulty getting them to complete your file?

I called today and was told they will not process my file until they see my tax forms. I already sent in a copy of my DL and voter registration card. Have you guys had this much difficulty getting them to complete your file?
Yeah... I had to get tax data for a few years for me and my parents. I sent em my passport (said i was born in ga), voter registration, parents voter registration, my DL, signed and notorized paper from the judge of the probate court in my county.

I just wanted to make sure they had anything they would need, and apparently it worked lol

I see a lot of you are talking about proof of residency...just making sure that you don't HAVE to be a resident of Georgia? I am assuming you all are talking about proving it since there's a huge advantage to being GA res. I am in Fl : /

I see a lot of you are talking about proof of residency...just making sure that you don't HAVE to be a resident of Georgia? I am assuming you all are talking about proving it since there's a huge advantage to being GA res. I am in Fl : /
Yeah you do not have to be a Georgia resident, but only about 5% of the class size can be OOS.

Some letters are out. I know of at least one person who was deferred...

Congrats GA6842!

njr3332, I think the individual has to set their own AMCAS back to regular decision. There's an option to edit the medical school information and it looks like that is what will release you from your early decision restriction if the school defers you.

Hey GA6842, what part of GA is your mailing address in? I'm trying to gauge how long a letter will take to get to northern GA lol.

Congrats on your acceptance GA6842!

and about the amcas status.. I was looking through last year's thread and some people said it was changed automatically for them- so I've been checking my status like crazy since monday this week..

hopefully we'll all hear some good news tomorrow!

and about the amcas status.. I was looking through last year's thread and some people said it was changed automatically for them- so I've been checking my status like crazy since monday this week..

hopefully we'll all hear some good news tomorrow!

Haha you and me both!

Congrats GA6842!

njr3332, I think the individual has to set their own AMCAS back to regular decision. There's an option to edit the medical school information and it looks like that is what will release you from your early decision restriction if the school defers you.

Hey GA6842, what part of GA is your mailing address in? I'm trying to gauge how long a letter will take to get to northern GA lol.

im in savannah so not too far from augusta. my letter was dated the 21st and postmarked the 22nd

congrats to those that got accepted early decision. I got a letter today saying that I was deferred. I suppose this is a kiss of death for the early decision part, but I can't gauge how to interpret this for the regular decision pool. I know that I've already interviewed, so that's a positive, but I'm still anxious just the same.

does anyone know how it plays out for those deferred?

So, in additions to my previous question, I have an interesting wrinkle to get advice on. I was previously an MD/PhD student at LSU-New Orleans, I had trouble my first semester and was asked to withdraw. Not dismissed, but withdraw. I have since Continued and will be completing my PhD this may. I was asked for an interview here at MCG. I disclosed and fully explained everything to everyone concerned. Should I continue to sweat, do you all think that's their intention at this point? Or should I not be so cautiously optimistic? Mind you, I interviewed near the end of August. My scores and such are solid, but I still have that elephant in the room to contend with. Thoughts?

Congrats GA6842- I just got my acceptance yesterday too!

Congrats tardawg! I just got my acceptance letter as well! :]

congrats to those that got accepted early decision. I got a letter today saying that I was deferred. I suppose this is a kiss of death for the early decision part, but I can't gauge how to interpret this for the regular decision pool. I know that I've already interviewed, so that's a positive, but I'm still anxious just the same.

does anyone know how it plays out for those deferred?

FYI, your EDP interview will count as your "regular decision" interview. So, don't expect another interview at MCG. Sometime between January and April 14thish, you will get notified of your next status (accepted, waitlisted, or rejected). As a first year, I know several people that applied EDP, were put on hold, only to be accepted during the regular cycle (both during the regular cycle and off the waitlist). With that said, apply to other MD/DO schools as soon as you can, and don't expect to get an acceptance from MCG.

FYI, I think ~60 people were accepted off EDP this year (last year was 70).

So, in additions to my previous question, I have an interesting wrinkle to get advice on. I was previously an MD/PhD student at LSU-New Orleans, I had trouble my first semester and was asked to withdraw. Not dismissed, but withdraw. I have since Continued and will be completing my PhD this may. I was asked for an interview here at MCG. I disclosed and fully explained everything to everyone concerned. Should I continue to sweat, do you all think that's their intention at this point? Or should I not be so cautiously optimistic? Mind you, I interviewed near the end of August. My scores and such are solid, but I still have that elephant in the room to contend with. Thoughts?

TBH, no one but the admissions committee will know. Each and committee member evaluates your application and ranks you on a 1 (best) to 5 (get the hell away from me) scale. Once that's done , you receive an average and are ranked accordingly.

I think it's very hard to come back after being asked to "withdraw" from a MD program. Did you complete the first year? Did you fail the first semester? How did you manage to stay in the PHD program at that same school?

Take that information as you will...

I too received my acceptance earlier today (2:15pm to be exact!!). I have never been this excited being that I applied last year, regular decision, and was waitlisted and never called up. I can't wait to celebrate this weekend by going out in Buckhead and then in two weeks my friends and I are organizing a huge party - Dr's and Nurses - back at my old school.

I wish you all the best of luck! Find the facebook Group - I saw someone already created it: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=102438099572

see you there!

invite 9/21. RD, probably complete the week before, for inquiring minds..

TBH, no one but the admissions committee will know. Each and committee member evaluates your application and ranks you on a 1 (best) to 5 (get the hell away from me) scale. Once that's done , you receive an average and are ranked accordingly.

I think it's very hard to come back after being asked to "withdraw" from a MD program. Did you complete the first year? Did you fail the first semester? How did you manage to stay in the PHD program at that same school?

Take that information as you will...

Honestly, and without being arrogant in any way, I was and continue to be extremely well connected. I would say lucky, at best. The reason I went to LSU was to study with the chair of physiology (pre-Katrina). The standing agreement with my situation was if I failed to get above an 80 in any one course, I would "fail" that class. As such, I skirted the line and got a few points below passing in my anatomy class. Because of this, I was told I cannot continue in the MD/PhD program and was mercifully given a second chance in the PhD program. The plan was to finish the PhD with distinction and then reapply to LSU as a state resident. The hurricane threw a wrinkle in that plan. It's been 5 years since. I've gotten married, two kids and have accolades out the wazzoo with my doctoral work (2 first author papers in Microcirculation and Circulation Research; a Pre-doctoral fellowship from the AHA and several awards invited seminars at the national level). I am a student at MCG and asked advice from several professors (of whom wrote letters) before applying again, so, I knew what I was getting into from the start. Just the same, it seems some of you have better inside information that I do. I know some people, but they were involved with the admissions process, at the latest, 3 years ago. I would like to think I've been given a fair shake considering I got an interview, but I suppose your kind words are well taken. The only anomaly with my withdrawal is that kids in that situation, if they were state residents, are allowed to remediate that class in the summer. Since I wasn't a state resident, that wasn't an option since only state residents can be a part of the "regular M.D." program. I know this is odd, and it seems like a crazy story, but it's 100% true. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

That sucks! Is the passing mark for the school an 80? Have you tried posting in the "Non-traditional" forums? So all non-Louisiana students have to be MD/PHD, and all of them have to keep their grades above an 80 to stay in? Seems really unfair that you would never be given the opportunity to remediate the class.... So much money is invested in an MD/PHD student.

All that I know about the process this year is the following...
Every committee member has an equal vote/rank
1-5 ranking
Lowest score wins
~60 were accepted EDP, with "more EDP applicants are suspected to be accepted at a later point". I have no idea if this is during the regular admissions time (although I know that some people, in my class, were accepted this way).
Roughly 100 were interviewed
No one really gets rejected at this time (every non-acceptance is a "defer")

Got my acceptance letter Wednesday. Been too excited celebrating to post. Just thought I would let the rest of you guys and gals know. Best of luck to everyone and hope to see you all soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.