2009-2010 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected via email today

interviewed 12/18/09

Oh well.... I've already got one acceptance at a cheap State school, so I probably wouldn't have gone here anyways. It was really nice of them to let us know so quickly though!
I'm sorry about your rejection, but congrats on the acceptance to another school. Can you offer insight into why you think you did not get accepted to TCMC? Did you not fit well with their mission? did you enjoy the interviews? What questions did they ask you?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlist!!!!!

OOS, I don't think I would take a seat here if offered. So thats one more spot open for you waitlist hopefuls
Hi! What was your interview like? No one is posting the questions that were asked at TCMC. Did you get off the wait list yet? Advice?

Acceptance email this morning. I probably will be withdrawing though. I'm pretty sure there will be a good number of acceptances off the waitlist.
HI, can you share what questions they asked you at your interview? Why are you going to withdrawal? Advice?
Thank you !!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i submitted my secondary the end of october (late, i know)....it took about 3 weeks before i was marked complete and it has yet to be marked as "sent to evaluators for screening".....is this common/did it take this long for everyone?

thanks!
HI. I submitted my secondary 1/13/10 and was asked for an interview a few days later, but the interview is not until the end of March. You still have time to be interviewed, they probably just put your application on hold for re-review. TCMC says they will be doing interviews through April.

Does anyone know which day the committee is meeting this week to decide on acceptances? I would like to try to send positive mental vibes on that day, if possible.
I will help send you strong positive vibes if you share with me what types of questions they asked you in your interview and whether it was serious, casual, rapid fire style, or if they just let you ask all the questions... was it weird with two faculty members staring at you? THANK YOU

Waitlisted today...thought interview went well, but I guess you can never really tell. Hopefully I'll get in later on

OOS, interviewed on 10/16
Please please share your interview experiences. There is nothing listed in the interview feedback section for this school. What kinds of questions did they ask you? Did one faculty member talk more than the other? Was it awkward with two faculty? Why do you feel you go wait-listed instead of accepted? instead of rejected? Do you want to go there?

Just interviewed here last week and for a new school, they really have their **** together. I got a cozy feeling with the staff and students and even the building. I didn't really explore scranton but my home is two hours away so not too bad actually. They seem to have a lot of kids from PA; I'm OOS and slightly worried on my chances, they don't prefer PA residents do they? I mean they aren't exactly a state school and all...
Please share your interview experience???? What questions did they ask? How was it with two faculty members?

thank you

Did you find out yet if you got in?

What is one thing you wish you would have done differently?

whoa, this thread got really intense really fast. there are several previous posts in this thread about our interview experiences, and i believe a couple of interview feedback reviews have been left as well (mine included). check those out first.

whoa, this thread got really intense really fast. there are several previous posts in this thread about our interview experiences, and i believe a couple of interview feedback reviews have been left as well (mine included). check those out first.

yeah, um, Compassion - you really need to calm down and stop spamming the thread. I don't check this site every day, and I'm sure many others don't either. You have until the end of March for your interview right? That's way more than plenty of time to prepare. If you go in there this spastic, they will notice for sure! ;)

To answer your questions: every interview I've attended had 2 interviewers, so I'm pretty sure it's a common thing. It was very chill, yes they asked some tough questions, but nothing that should freak you out. Understand current health care debates, politics, (socialized medicine) etc. If you did research, be prepared to discuss it in detail. Know a little bit about ethics in medicine, such as the end-of-life debate... Know the mission and values of TCMC... Um, that's all I can think of. It really is a very relaxed atmosphere.

Hi everyone, my name is Dan and I'm new to the forums. My first medical school interview (ever) is at TCMC on February 12. I read through the thread and focused primarily on posts about the interview processes and its contents. I want to ask if anyone has any advice for me such composure, dress, certain difficult questions to expect, etc...

BTW: I submitted my AMCAS late (October I believe), my secondary close to the deadline (December 28), overall GPA 3.5, science GPA 3.2, MCAT 31P, and applying OOS (from California).

I know my stats aren't great but since I got an interview invite, that's good news, right?

Last edited:
Good lord. Did you really expect replies within TWO MINUTES of posting? Try reading the entire thread instead of just your own posts--plenty of people either talked about their interview experiences or offered to if you PMed them.

I've used forums before so I'm no "noob" and of course I didn't expect an answer in "two minutes." I read through the entire thread and most of what I gathered were general advice about the interview process at TCMC such as interview with two people at a duration of approximately an hour. In terms of answers, I know a lot about my research, my job, and the current health care issues, so I'm not worried about answering questions confidently. I'm just really nervous about what to do because this is my first interview, it's in a couple of weeks and I know absolutely nothing about what to expect. I don't even own a business suit yet...

Good lord. Did you really expect replies within TWO MINUTES of posting? Try reading the entire thread instead of just your own posts--plenty of people either talked about their interview experiences or offered to if you PMed them.

I've used forums before so I'm no "noob"
and of course I didn't expect an answer in "two minutes." I read through the entire thread and most of what I gathered were general advice about the interview process at TCMC such as interview with two people at a duration of approximately an hour. In terms of answers, I know a lot about my research, my job, and the current health care issues, so I'm not worried about answering questions confidently. I'm just really nervous about what to do because this is my first interview, it's in a couple of weeks and I know absolutely nothing about what to expect. I don't even own a business suit yet...

Dan, I'm 99.9% sure that that remark was directed towards compassionate and not towards you. So unless you are the same person who created another account just to keep posting, don't take offense. I was asked more questions about health care issues on this interview than on other interviews. Make you you understand their community focus and be able to talk about why that appeals to you. Interviews ARE intimidating, that's kind of unavoidable. However, just be prepared to talk about yourself, your motivations, etc, and you'll be fine. The school is still in an old community college building until next year and something about that made me less intimidated for this interview. Either way, you'll be fine. Deep breaths, I also think being firendly and smiling is very helpful for creating a good impression. (although i was waitlisted at 2 schools and no acceptances yet so i don;t know how helpful my interview advice is!) Either way, take is easy and good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've used forums before so I'm no "noob" and of course I didn't expect an answer in "two minutes." I read through the entire thread and most of what I gathered were general advice about the interview process at TCMC such as interview with two people at a duration of approximately an hour. In terms of answers, I know a lot about my research, my job, and the current health care issues, so I'm not worried about answering questions confidently. I'm just really nervous about what to do because this is my first interview, it's in a couple of weeks and I know absolutely nothing about what to expect. I don't even own a business suit yet...

GET ON THAT! the chances it'll fit perfectly are slim, so it'll need to be tailored. unless you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine/needle and thread, it isn't something that you should put off. my sister gave me two of her old suits. the legs had already been hemmed and then my mom hemmed the sleeves for me the night before. there is an interview clothing thread floating around somewhere, so look for it if you don't know where to go to get a suit.

Dan, I'm 99.9% sure that that remark was directed towards compassionate and not towards you. So unless you are the same person who created another account just to keep posting, don't take offense. I was asked more questions about health care issues on this interview than on other interviews. Make you you understand their community focus and be able to talk about why that appeals to you. Interviews ARE intimidating, that's kind of unavoidable. However, just be prepared to talk about yourself, your motivations, etc, and you'll be fine. The school is still in an old community college building until next year and something about that made me less intimidated for this interview. Either way, you'll be fine. Deep breaths, I also think being firendly and smiling is very helpful for creating a good impression. (although i was waitlisted at 2 schools and no acceptances yet so i don;t know how helpful my interview advice is!) Either way, take is easy and good luck!

Sally's post was immediately after mines with no quotes so I thought it was aimed at me. I took no offense, but felt a little confused. Thanks for clarifying.

Anyways, I'll review their (extensive) list of missions and values. I'll also read up on the health care issue and probably study it like any other midterm or final. I feel confident that I know what my goals and ambitions are so that won't be a problem. I've had plenty of job interviews in the past so I'm used to being put on the spot. I'm more worried about difficult questions like "what can you do right now to improve or contribute to the health care industry?" (I only have a vague idea of how to answer this question).

Is there anything specific that I should watch out?

GET ON THAT! the chances it'll fit perfectly are slim, so it'll need to be tailored. unless you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine/needle and thread, it isn't something that you should put off. my sister gave me two of her old suits. the legs had already been hemmed and then my mom hemmed the sleeves for me the night before. there is an interview clothing thread floating around somewhere, so look for it if you don't know where to go to get a suit.

I'm actually going to shop for suits today after my classes. I'll probably start at Men's Warehouse and move down the list from there. I also have a excellent tailor that works nearby who specializes in formal attire and I can easily get my clothes fitted. When I get the suit, can I post a picture or a link so you can let me know what you think of it? I'm not going to get it tailored until I know I have a good suit.

I'm actually going to shop for suits today after my classes. I'll probably start at Men's Warehouse and move down the list from there. I also have a excellent tailor that works nearby who specializes in formal attire and I can easily get my clothes fitted. When I get the suit, can I post a picture or a link so you can let me know what you think of it? I'm not going to get it tailored until I know I have a good suit.

post your pictures in this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552578 because the people there will definitely be more helpful. i'll pop in and see what input i can give, but i don't know squat about what men should wear. i remember once seeing something about how a single column of buttons is better for x body shape than a double column, and all sorts of other stuff, and the people at that thread would be more likely to know those details than the people at this one, plus the other one is geared to clothing so your suit questions could help others out in the future, too. wow, talk about a run-on sentence... anywho, on that thread someone talked about online clearances at Jos Bank, and someone else was saying Men's Warehouse is overpriced, so these people would have more advice than I could ever give.

As a parent of a student going around the 2nd time on medical school interviews, this is the best advice - and it's advice I heard a long time ago somewhere else - dress for the position you want, not for the position you are at now. Dress like a DOCTOR! We went to Men's Wearhouse and had our son's suit tailored for him specifically, with some cool added extras - we bought a nice jacket, 2 pairs of pants, a couple of shirts, ties, socks and shoes, and we had a tailor alter what needed altering. We made sure he looked like a doctor. Initial outlay $700+/-. Bonus is - he keeps adding apparel, and he has put together a nice wardrobe since our initial outlay.

Secondly, tailoring again applies during the interviews. From what I've gathered from my son, as well as other interviewees - these interviewers know you. They have you memorized, and each interview is tailored to you. This makes you comfortable and chatty, and lets them know what you are about. They are very into research, as well as where you see yourself in the future. A very typical job interview in many respects.

Finally, Scranton is a great place to walk around. I will actually be there tomorrow. I really enjoy seeing new things every time I go there. Guys like my son, and other students there, have already helped the economy, and as the school grows, Scranton will only get better.

So, relax, and know that the future is bright. Be motivated, driven, and take the opportunity after the interview is over and really check the town out. Take care and good luck (and chill out a little bit).

ahhh anyone hear anything yet? i keep checking like every 10 minutes and still nothing!

ahhh anyone hear anything yet? i keep checking like every 10 minutes and still nothing!

is the adcom meeting today?? or does anyone know the date when they're expecting to meet for this week?

i interviewed on the 22 and they told us that most people would hear on feb 2. if you didnt hear anything then the adcom didnt get to your app this time and it would def be reviewed on feb 15ish

i interviewed on the 22 and they told us that most people would hear on feb 2. if you didnt hear anything then the adcom didnt get to your app this time and it would def be reviewed on feb 15ish

I interviewed on the 15, thought that the adcom meets every other Thursday. Is it Tuesday or Thursday?

I interviewed on the 15, thought that the adcom meets every other Thursday. Is it Tuesday or Thursday?

idk what day i just know debrah stalk said something to my group about hearing on feb 2

I interviewed the 22nd also, and she did say the 2nd. So hopefully, we will hear today....

I heard awhile back they were possibly going to be able to offer half scholarships again for this years class.... and if not half try to come up with a quarter scholarship or something. Anyone heard anything since?

Hey everyone,
I'm interviewing here on the 19th. Is anyone else scheduled for that day?

I heard awhile back they were possibly going to be able to offer half scholarships again for this years class.... and if not half try to come up with a quarter scholarship or something. Anyone heard anything since?

I am a wait-lister, I really hope that they don't give out any scholarships. I don't mind paying $60,000 a year, I just need an acceptance. This will probably be it for me, I won't be going for another round of application. ElwayFan is the best source to find out whether they will do it again or not, but I asked the same question during my interview. They said that nothing has been finalized yet, but that was September. I heard that even if they do hand out scholarships; it won't be for entirely 4 years, it will just be for the first year.

I called earlier this morning and they said that they had met yesterday but had not given their final decisions to the office yet, so soon hopefully

I called earlier this morning and they said that they had met yesterday but had not given their final decisions to the office yet, so soon hopefully

omg that's good news!!!! soooo exciting!!!!!! soooon!!!

OMG I'm even more nervous now:shifty::barf:

I'm accepted here, and I haven't heard anything from them since I sent in my deposit in December. I heard that they were not granted some additional state funding that they were hoping to get, so that would probably negatively impact scholarships. However, since the charter class got half tuition for all 4 years because they have to spend 2 years in the old building, it makes sense that the second class would get 1/4 tuition (~$40,000 total) :xf:

Hey everyone,
I'm interviewing here on the 19th. Is anyone else scheduled for that day?

I am, Gold. Where are you coming from? I'm currently in Philly but will probably stay Thursday night. I'm pretty pumped about this place, have heard great things.

Did anyone hear anything from TCMC today? I haven't yet, and was wondering if I was the only one....any feedback would be appreciated. I loved the school, and really hope to hear soon! Thanks!

Did anyone hear anything from TCMC today? I haven't yet, and was wondering if I was the only one....any feedback would be appreciated. I loved the school, and really hope to hear soon! Thanks!

i didn't hear anything...interviewed on the 8th, so i'm hoping to hear from them tomorrow (???) we'll find out soon enough! :)

I am, Gold. Where are you coming from? I'm currently in Philly but will probably stay Thursday night. I'm pretty pumped about this place, have heard great things.

I'm driving over from nyc on the morning of the interview. I'm hoping that we won't have any major winter storms during that time. :xf:

I have read all the postings and want to assure you of a couple of things-- we are working on scholarships. As a new school we have no grateful alumni or patients so we have no natural donors. We are building relationships with the community and region-- all of whom are excited to have the college here. We are doing our best. We have also applied for Title IV so will (we hope) be able to offer federal loans this year.
Also I know this is stressful but I offer this advice-- look professional -- other than that we are looking at the person you are, and the kind of doc you will become. We want to educate doctors we would want to go to -- people who are smart and have good values, who can communicate with patients & who adapt their care to best practices. Be yourself. I know you have heard that forever (from your moms) but its true. Don't make yourself crazy about this process. We are all nice people, excited to be doing this. It is new, it is interesting and the next class will have a big impact on how we develop & our traditions. Those who have not interviewed good luck & relax a bit!

I have read all the postings and want to assure you of a couple of things-- we are working on scholarships. As a new school we have no grateful alumni or patients so we have no natural donors. We are building relationships with the community and region-- all of whom are excited to have the college here. We are doing our best. We have also applied for Title IV so will (we hope) be able to offer federal loans this year.
Also I know this is stressful but I offer this advice-- look professional -- other than that we are looking at the person you are, and the kind of doc you will become. We want to educate doctors we would want to go to -- people who are smart and have good values, who can communicate with patients & who adapt their care to best practices. Be yourself. I know you have heard that forever (from your moms) but its true. Don't make yourself crazy about this process. We are all nice people, excited to be doing this. It is new, it is interesting and the next class will have a big impact on how we develop & our traditions. Those who have not interviewed good luck & relax a bit!

Thanks for the post. It's nice to get clarification from someone associated with TCMC, instead of having to listen to the rumors flying around.

P.S. I thought you were all very nice people, too :)

nope, nothing yet...hopefully by later this afternoon, we'll all have some news :)

has anyone else heard anything today??

hahaha well i'm glad to be in good company...there's always tomorrow! :-D

so i just got off the phone with the admissions office...they said that they did have their adcom meeting on tuesday but they still haven't heard the final results of that meeting in the admissions office...so we should all find out early next week any decisions that they made

i guess we can all relax for the weekend and keep checking starting monday haha...hope this helps all of those waiting for decisions a little bit!

so i just got off the phone with the admissions office...they said that they did have their adcom meeting on tuesday but they still haven't heard the final results of that meeting in the admissions office...so we should all find out early next week any decisions that they made

i guess we can all relax for the weekend and keep checking starting monday haha...hope this helps all of those waiting for decisions a little bit!

Thanks a lot for leting us know :0)

I'm just wondering if anyone has been offered a sizable stipend to attend TCMC. The fact that University of Central Florida, also a new medical school, has been giving $40k/year stipends came up in another thread, and we were curious if any of the other new schools were offering anything similar. I'm mostly interested in Commonwealth since it's the only one of the new schools I'm planning on applying to.

Thanks and good luck!

oh wow - that is so exciting! I thought for sure we wouldn't get federal loans till next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.