2009-2010 UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogmanmike14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey UCR graduates, who's applying during the 2009-2010 cycle? Only 24 spots left.

Members don't see this ad.

I am!! did you hear anything yet?? I talked to margie the other day and I was told that they have not even received apps. from AMCAS yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my secondary E-mailed to me today, gotta fill this monster out.

I applied but haven't heard anything yet.

I still haven't heard anything and I have a 30MCAT and 3.7 sci GPA, pubs, and strong ECs...when do secondaries usually come out????

When did you submit your application to AMCAS?

Haider doesn't receive the application until 4-6wks after AMCAS submission. Then the adcom advisers must go over them to make sure your info is correct. Then they will meet with the UCR/UCLA committee to actually review your application.

I submitted early Sept. and I found out the committee reviewed my application last Fri. (Oct 16). I still haven't gotten a secondary. My friend submitted early, June/July and he got his secondary I think late Sept/Early Oct.

So don't worry! It takes them a long time!! :)

Just some FYI about last year. ~120 applications received ~60 interviews given and 24 accepted! Good LUCK! :luck:

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better...I was complete at the end of September, so hopefully sometime soon.

it really shouldn't take so long to get out 2ndaries with ~100-250 apps. to look over.

Hey,
Has anyone had an interview yet? I just got my secondary in yesterday and was wondering about the time line. And does anyone know how many people got secondaries? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit your primary? I have yet to receive a secondary from them.

I submitted my primary on sept. 9. I got the secondary request last Friday.

I got called about an interview a few days ago, first one is in about a week and a half the second is a few days later. I'll let everyone know how it goes, wish me luck. Anyone else get a call yet?

good luck frogman! Dominate that interview

and on a side note...anyone complete at the end of sept. get a 2ndary??

I just got called about my interviews. Does anyone know what to expect? Is there just one interviewer in the interviews? I wonder how long after the interviews before we know anything.

I just got called about my interviews. Does anyone know what to expect? Is there just one interviewer in the interviews? I wonder how long after the interviews before we know anything.

I'll let you know tomorrow probably.

Just finished my second interview. Both went great. They people who interview you are very nice. For the most part I was just asked about myself and my activities. I had a few questions about health care reform, but if you watch the news and have an opinion you should do fine. Oh, and interviews are one on one, very conversational. If you're getting an interview this month don't worry at all, and if you get one next month you'll probably still get in.

Good luck everyone, Hope to see you all next year.

how long were the interviews? do you have any idea how many people got interviews this month? were you able to know which faculty member would be interviewing you ahead of time?

how long were the interviews? do you have any idea how many people got interviews this month? were you able to know which faculty member would be interviewing you ahead of time?

Interviews were about an hour for me, but it depends on how much you talk about yourself. If its over in 10 minutes, thats not good.

I know that this is the first round of interviews, but I do not know how many people got them so far.

You do get to know who will be interviewing you. One will be on campus, the other will be somewhere off-site, like at a hospital or research center.

how can you comment on your chances of acceptance based on when you get an interview? Did they tell you something during your own interview or are you just speculating?

those of you applying this year, do you guys mind posting your stats?

im a sophmore at ucr right now and hoping to apply 3rd or 4th year. just wanted to see how competitive the program so I can improve is all :)

Thanks guys !

The Haider program is well known for being heavily focused on undergraduate performance for admissions. There have been numerous instances of people with low MCATs (mid20's and lower) who have gotten in due to the strength of their undergraduate performance and extracurriculars. My MCAT (34) is above average for their program but because I have a low undergrad GPA they've shown zero interest in me.

For every ones info. My interviewer told me that the earliest possible date to know whether or not you have been accepted is very late January as the first admissions meeting isn't until Jan 27. They will only be admitting about 8 to 10 students in that meeting. It will be followed by two additional meeting where the rest of the class will be filled. We have a long wait so don't get overly anxious.

For every ones info. My interviewer told me that the earliest possible date to know whether or not you have been accepted is very late January as the first admissions meeting isn't until Jan 27. They will only be admitting about 8 to 10 students in that meeting. It will be followed by two additional meeting where the rest of the class will be filled. We have a long wait so don't get overly anxious.

how do you know when the first admission meeting is? I heard it was at the end of december from some MS1's, but they could be mistaken.

how do you know when the first admission meeting is? I heard it was at the end of december from some MS1's, but they could be mistaken.
My first interviewer told me the date of the first meeting and explained that only a handful of people are admitted in that meeting. The entire class won't be filled until March-ish.

i haven't and i'm getting nervous about it...does anyone know when is the second round of interviews?

Waiting as well. Are they known to give out secondaries this late? Or am I just heading for a rejection?

Waiting as well. Are they known to give out secondaries this late? Or am I just heading for a rejection?

I FINALLY got the 2ndary...nearly two months after being complete

hopefully an interview soon!!

Hey guys,

Im a first year at the UCR/UCLA program right now, so I might be able to answer some of your questions. There are people in our program who interviewed as late a early February, so don't get your hopes down just yet. I know of a guy who interviewed in March, but by then the spots were pretty much taken and he was interviewing for a waitlist spot.

People DO get taken off the waitlist, but it is fairly rare. There were a few accepted students who chose to go to other schools (i.e. Hopkins and UCSF).

^what are the usual stats of some of those accepted?

thank you! :]

just scheduled my interviews... they will be about 10 days from now.

^what are the usual stats of some of those accepted?

thank you! :]

I actually do not know that information, our class didn't really disclose that sort of stuff to each other (like it matters once you get in right?). I have heard some word of mouth that several students had stellar GPAs (>3.8), but their MCATS were subpar (<30). Not sure how much this helps, but best of luck!

good luck to you Frogmanmike! i have interviews next week.

Hey coldtse, will your on-campus interview take place over the break?

I just overnighted my 2ndary today...for those who have received interviews, do you know the approximate time frame from 2ndary submission to interview invite?? muchas gracias!

I just received an interview invite! I know some have mentioned it previously on this board, but can current Biomed kids comment on the style of the interviews..do they tend to be "in your face" or more relaxed...thanks

I just received an interview invite! I know some have mentioned it previously on this board, but can current Biomed kids comment on the style of the interviews..do they tend to be "in your face" or more relaxed...thanks

i think it depends on your interviewers. i thought mine were more relaxed, they asked me pretty straightforward questions. i did get like one or two hard question, but overall it wasn't too bad...haha i know who you are dorian gray lol

I just finished my 2nd interview...they both went well...the questions were very very straightforward and nothing out of the ordinary--hopefully we'll all here something positive very soon!

heard that the admissions committee met yesterday and sent out the first batch of acceptances. plz post, anyone who hears some good news. :)

heard that the admissions committee met yesterday and sent out the first batch of acceptances. plz post, anyone who hears some good news. :)

I believe the notifications go through UCLA first, then are mailed to the applicants. So acceptances should be mailed soon. Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.