2009-2010 University of Texas - Southwestern (UTSW) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yea i got that email. guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens with my status, but as of now its still the same

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody else see a change in their UTSW status?

Members don't see this ad :)
where did you guys go to find the status change?

For those of you who interviewed here last Saturday, go to https://sws004.swmed.edu/medapp/index.asp and log in. Click on application profile/status. Look at "UT Southwestern Application Status." Mine changed from "Interviewed" to "Interviewed - Alternate List." So it looks like you can find out now what their admissions committee decided. Anyone have "Interviewed - Accepted" or "Interviewed - Rejected"?

-

I have the "alternate list" status thing too.

I'm honestly surprised that they would have made acceptance vs. waitlist vs. rejection decisions already, since as far as I know the second group of interviews was just conducted yesterday. I know acceptance offers (for TX residents) don't go out until Nov. 15 at the earliest, but I guess they can reject or waitlist you before then?

Weird. Hoping it doesn't actually mean a waitlist at this point!

I have the "alternate list" status thing too.

I'm honestly surprised that they would have made acceptance vs. waitlist vs. rejection decisions already, since as far as I know the second group of interviews was just conducted yesterday. I know acceptance offers (for TX residents) don't go out until Nov. 15 at the earliest, but I guess they can reject or waitlist you before then?

Weird. Hoping it doesn't actually mean a waitlist at this point!

maybe we sucked that bad at interviewing?? strange how i though both mine went okay - weren't perfect, but i didn't say i wanted to be a doctor to get girls neither....

So I've been thinking about this...and my theory is this.

This alternate list does NOT mean the same thing as waitlist. I think they decide whether or not they want to give people a pre-match offer, and being on the alternate list means that they may wait until they've interviewed more people before they decide whether or not to give you a pre-match offer...but at this point it probably doesn't mean waitlist?

Just thinking...I didn't get the "alternate list" on mine and I'm still nervous though.

bummer...I've got the "alternate" designation too... And I'm usually pretty good at interviewing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a thought. Maybe when they are amassing their list for acceptances on Nov. 15 they use the same software that they later use for the wait list. This would allow them to conveniently send out the acceptance emails on that date. And since they're barred from letting us know if we got in before then, it would serve that purpose as well, by hiding it from us.

Here's a thought. Maybe when they are amassing their list for acceptances on Nov. 15 they use the same software that they later use for the wait list. This would allow them to conveniently send out the acceptance emails on that date. And since they're barred from letting us know if we got in before then, it would serve that purpose as well, by hiding it from us.

So...you think they're tricking you by telling you you are waitlisted?

When/how do you find out if you are accepted? Do they do pre-match offers?

So...you think they're tricking you by telling you you are waitlisted?

No, just that they might be using the same software and hence it shows up on the application status as alternate list. I have doubts that it means we're wait listed, because why would they wait list people before the match? A wait list shouldn't be employed until all the spots are filled. All I meant by my last sentence is that it would keep us from seeing anything that indicates an acceptance, since they are not allowed to inform us of an acceptance yet.

And I don't mean to imply that it is more likely than your idea. We really don't know anything with any certainty at this point.

Last edited:
No, just that they might be using the same software and hence it shows up on the application status as alternate list. I have doubts that it means we're wait listed, because why would they wait list people before the match? A wait list shouldn't be employed until all the spots are filled. All I meant by my last sentence is that it would keep us from seeing anything that indicates an acceptance, since they are not allowed to inform us of an acceptance yet.

And I don't mean to imply that it is more likely than your idea. We really don't know anything with any certainty at this point.

It just made me sad because mine only says "Interviewed". :(

haha i'm glad some of you guys are so optimistic. i'm tempted to shoot an e-mail and ask...

haha i'm glad some of you guys are so optimistic. i'm tempted to shoot an e-mail and ask...

oh PLEASE do! And I'm really hoping this new theory holds up...or else that the status doesn't indicate anything and that we've all prematched!

oh PLEASE do! And I'm really hoping this new theory holds up...or else that the status doesn't indicate anything and that we've all prematched!

I think that would be the best thing that could happen ^_^

Dearest interviewees,

Your worries are for naught. My friend who interviewed on 9/12 was showing the same status and asked me about it. I didn't know, so I asked Bureaucrates himself (Wes Norred). His reply, verbatim:

That is the interim status given to all interviewed applicants.

I hope that will put to rest any fears.

Warmly,
An MS-1

Dearest interviewees,

Your worries are for naught. My friend who interviewed on 9/12 was showing the same status and asked me about it. I didn't know, so I asked Bureaucrates himself (Wes Norred). His reply, verbatim:

Warmly,
An MS-1

Doesn't really make sense...because some people don't have it. Maybe its real bad if you don't have it! Darn!

Dearest interviewees,

Warmly,
An MS-1

what a relief

Has anyone heard back from late August TMDSAS verification? I haven't heard anything besides a complete notice August 27th. How long is it taking people to hear back now? (I would assume it has slowed down a little)

My primary was submitted July 22nd and verified August 22nd-ish and secondary sent July 29th.

Thanks! :)

I just got this email from a UT Southwestern Admissions person

I heard from a couple of applicants who interviewed on
September 12 and who subsequently checked their status on
our website and found "Interviewed - Alternate List".

Needless to say, that was pretty distressing to think
that we already had a alternate list!

Well, it was a mistake...a status pulled from a table used
late last year that didn't get cleared our (or some such similar
technical term!).

If you check your status now, it should say "Interviewed".

We have not formed an acceptance list or an alternate list.

Sorry if this was misleading.

Regards,

--------

So no more freaking out! :)

technical term!).

This seems to confirm that the people who saw their status change to alternate list indeed had their names put into a "table" for some purpose. The only reason that some people would be added to this table, and others not, is that they were making some kind of differentiation between them, either good or bad.

This seems to confirm that the people who saw their status change to alternate list indeed had their names put into a "table" for some purpose. The only reason that some people would be added to this table, and others not, is that they were making some kind of differentiation between them, either good or bad.

That's a thought. Well, we'll have to revisit this issue in a few months once we see who is getting acceptances, just out of sheer curiosity.

I just got this email from a UT Southwestern Admissions person

I heard from a couple of applicants who interviewed on
September 12 and who subsequently checked their status on
our website and found "Interviewed - Alternate List".

Needless to say, that was pretty distressing to think
that we already had a alternate list!

technical term!).

If you check your status now, it should say "Interviewed".

We have not formed an acceptance list or an alternate list.

Sorry if this was misleading.

Regards,

--------

So no more freaking out! :)

:mad: good to hear, but it seems UTSW does this type of goof-up with their website every year.

Anyone else get an email from UTSW to go on clinical rounds with them before their interview? Just wondering what the purpose of it is..

Anyone else get an email from UTSW to go on clinical rounds with them before their interview? Just wondering what the purpose of it is..

yeah they offered that to all those who interviewed as well. The interview day packet says

"The visit is not a part of the admission process and has no impact on selection decision. It is simply a unique opportunity for you to see how teaching is carried out in a clinical setting at UT Southwestern Medical School."

I was wondering if anyone knows about emailing UTSW a "in the area" email. I'm currently in a different country (~ 13 hour flight away from Texas), and I have 2 Texas interviews scheduled in October. I want to email UTSW, but it is one of my top choices, and I don't want to be pushy and hurt my chances. Does anyone know if they take kindly to "in the area" requests?

Thank you!

yeah they offered that to all those who interviewed as well. The interview day packet says

"The visit is not a part of the admission process and has no impact on selection decision. It is simply a unique opportunity for you to see how teaching is carried out in a clinical setting at UT Southwestern Medical School."

That's all it is pretty much. It really does NOT affect your chances of getting in if you don't attend rounds or the Friday evening dinner. All it comes down to here are your two interviews on Saturday.

Is there a specific time on oct 1st for the deadline to submit the secondaryn or just anytime on the 1st before 11:59pm?

Hey quick question for those of you who have already interviewed, what time on Saturday were you all the way finished and free to leave? I am planning some traveling arrangements, the schedule says that they give a tour at 2:30, but there is no reference to what time the tour will actually end. Thanks

Hey quick question for those of you who have already interviewed, what time on Saturday were you all the way finished and free to leave? I am planning some traveling arrangements, the schedule says that they give a tour at 2:30, but there is no reference to what time the tour will actually end. Thanks

We were done a little before 3 when I interviewed. The tour at 2:30 is just of the Student Center so it doesn't take more than 20 minutes.

You go on the big tour of the medical school and hospitals before lunch either before or after your two interviews (depending on what time your interviews are scheduled).

hey guys do u think i have a shot at UTSW with a 28M and a 3.99 GPA?

10th percentile according to LizzyM is 29M...so you're pushing it. You'd probably have to have some outstanding ECs or come from a very underrepresented demographic to get a real shot.

It also depends on the breakdown of your MCAT. 10th percentile BS according to MSAR is 10. So if you have a 8 in BS, you're way outside the window.

10th percentile according to LizzyM is 29M...so you're pushing it. You'd probably have to have some outstanding ECs or come from a very underrepresented demographic to get a real shot.

It also depends on the breakdown of your MCAT. 10th percentile BS according to MSAR is 10. So if you have a 8 in BS, you're way outside the window.

thanks for the reply
i have a 10B 10P and 8V...
i would LOVE to go to southwestern....but i doubt it is going to happen

Good luck to everyone interviewing this saturday! See you at the dinner tomorrow!

first off, congrats on the interview. Quite honestly though, once your interviews are done (~10am maybe?), everything else is optional. Don't worry about leaving early, no one will notice since there are 60-70 of you. Lunch ends at 1pm and after that is the afternoon session which is helpful to attend but not required. Any information from that session you can find out later. good luck!

This is might be discussed already, but is the Friday evening thing optional? i really would love to go and learn about the school, but I just got an interview offer from another school for the Friday before my Sat interviews, and I really want to make it to both.

This is might be discussed already, but is the Friday evening thing optional? i really would love to go and learn about the school, but I just got an interview offer from another school for the Friday before my Sat interviews, and I really want to make it to both.

optional, don't worry about missing it

Do I need to notify them if I don't plan to go to the Friday events? Thanks!

When you log in to confirm your interview date they ask whether you want to attend the Friday session and you can just select "no."

Yup, it's completely optional. For those of you who haven't yet interviewed at UTSW, only the Saturday interview is required. The Friday stuff is just a chance to go on rounds, hear a bit about the school, and best of all, score some free food. It has no bearing on your chances of getting accepted, and you're not going to miss out on anything absolutely crucial if you only go on Saturday.

Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
Anyone still not heard anything and were complete a long time ago? I was complete late August and have yet to hear anything from them :-/ seems like completion to interview invitation has been quick for many people?

My completion to invite time was more than 2 months. Completion to actual interview was a little over 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.