2009-2010 University of Texas - Southwestern (UTSW) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone who interviewed in November/December received an acceptance yet? Anyone that's been accepted interview after Oct. 31?

I guess it's looking like there won't be anymore pre-match offers given.:(

Members don't see this ad.

For all those who are waiting to hear from UT-SW, I got an interesting e-mail today that would be of interest.

" [information about when I applied, interviewed, was recommended, etc...],
To date we have offered 237 places and, so far, have had 2 declines. Of course,
that will change. We will not be extending additional offers after our December
17 meeting until after the Texas Match on February 1, 2010. I expect we will
offer more than 100 additional places before the class is seated."

So there you go. Those are the official numbers to date. Best of luck to everyone.

According to this... there won't be anymore pre-matches after december 17th... which ended 40 minutes ago... so yeah... damn.

According to this... there won't be anymore pre-matches after december 17th... which ended 40 minutes ago... so yeah... damn.

Well...they just met today, so I would expect pre-matches to be sent out tomorrow! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody hear anything today yet? looks like we're waiting till february..

anybody hear anything today yet? looks like we're waiting till february..

previous posts suggested they would be releasing their last batch of pre-matches this last friday.... but no one has said anything? Maybe they're waiting till monday? hopefully..... gr

hey is it mandatory to go to the Friday rounds??
or can we just go to the Saturday interview?

thanks!

Has anyone else received pre - match offer from UT SW? Are they still giving them out? I'm hoping tomorrow will be the last day. Good luck to all who are still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
so.... seriously? only one person on sdn claims to have gotten a prematch offer from the "last" batch? I guess it was a very small group... Congrats to everyone who got in.

so.... seriously? only one person on sdn claims to have gotten a prematch offer from the "last" batch? I guess it was a very small group... Congrats to everyone who got in.

lol funny thing, this same person got into utmb a few days ago.
Everyone on the blog was waiting for prematches and no one heard anything....only this SAME one person got accepted...hmm?

congrats though, must be a really great applicant
i wish i had such mad prematch skills

lol funny thing, this same person got into utmb a few days ago.
Everyone on the blog was waiting for prematches and no one heard anything....only this SAME one person got accepted...hmm?

congrats though, must be a really great applicant
i wish i had such mad prematch skills

lol...wishing is your only option, my friend. i can show yall the emails if you want. seriously, PM me your email addresses. I dont want anyone thinking im making stuff up. youre right, i am a great applicant. i feel really special and super lucky to have gotten into these schools on such a short notice.

you know, i thought i was doing a good thing by letting people know of acceptances and what not. like i would definitely want to know if someone got into a school i was waiting for. but, in the future, im definitely going to keep it to myself. happy holidays!

you know, i thought i was doing a good thing by letting people know of acceptances and what not. like i would definitely want to know if someone got into a school i was waiting for. but, in the future, im definitely going to keep it to myself. happy holidays!

hey now i did not mean that in a mean way at all...
i was just trying to make the point that you are really great applicant..that's all. i believe you 100% that you got in...congrats again!

i was just responding to the person above me who said that only 1 prematch for utsw has shown up on the blog...i was making a point that you also got utmb recently while people were waiting for offers...therefore you obviously are AMAZING and deserve those acceptances

i appreciate you posting them..i want to know when people get in so i know whats going on (thats the point of sdn)
sorry if i offended you in any way that wasn't my intent
congrats again and happy holidays! :):)

Actually quite a few people have been accepted prematch on this thread. I think they just meant 1 person from the most recent batch of acceptances.

accepted on 12/21! interviewed 12/5.

note to the discussion above...i was vacationing and didnt find out til recently. perhaps not so many people posted because of the holidays. because thats what happened with me. family + friends + vacation >>> sdn. always. ;-)

accepted on 12/21! interviewed 12/5.

note to the discussion above...i was vacationing and didnt find out til recently. perhaps not so many people posted because of the holidays. because thats what happened with me. family + friends + vacation >>> sdn. always. ;-)

I was also there 12/5... are you IS or OOS?

Go to the Friday Program if you can, at least for rounding. It pretty much shows you what your days as an MSIII will be like.

Hey, UTSWers...

I was just wondering if any of you that have already been accepted have received any general UTSW emails in the last two weeks. I know it's crazy to expect emails all the time, but I figured UTSW would email us some stuff what with the Jan 15th deadline approaching. I guess I just like hearing from them, hahaha.

On another note, if any of you are holding on to another prematch and just having a bit of trouble letting go of one last prematch before Jan 15th (while keeping UTSW), what school is it?

Thanks!

Hi...

I'm interviewing at UTSW on saturday and will be participating in the clinical rounds program on Friday. Does anyone know where to report for the rounds program? The attached pdf just says South campus... am I missing something? :confused:

Thanks!

Hey, UTSWers...

I was just wondering if any of you that have already been accepted have received any general UTSW emails in the last two weeks. I know it's crazy to expect emails all the time, but I figured UTSW would email us some stuff what with the Jan 15th deadline approaching. I guess I just like hearing from them, hahaha.

On another note, if any of you are holding on to another prematch and just having a bit of trouble letting go of one last prematch before Jan 15th (while keeping UTSW), what school is it?

Thanks!

No E-mails yet! I'm also just kinda like getting e-mails :p. I expect we'll be getting some soon b/c of Jan. 15 approaching and also this MS0 day that he alluded to in his past e-mail.

I've already turned down all my other pre-match offers! For me it wasn't that close, but that may be because I didn't prematch at UTH, which was the other school I really liked =)

I've already turned down all my other pre-match offers! For me it wasn't that close, but that may be because I didn't prematch at UTH, which was the other school I really liked =)
Same here. I called TMDSAS and they told me to rank UTSW #1 and UT-H #2 (after declining the other pre-matches .....which I did a good while back). Is that the same thing you are doing? Seems odd that we need to list anything other than UTSW #1.

Last edited:
Same here. I called TMDSAS and they told me to rank UTSW #1 and UT-H #2 (after declining the other pre-matches .....which I did a good while back). It's that the same thing you are doing? Seems odd that we need to list anything other than UTSW #1.

I know right? I'm actually listening UTH first, because you can do whatever once you've got your prematch from a school. This way I can keep my options open (although, quite frankly, the chances I'll be at UTSW come August are very very high).

You also got into Baylor correct? What are your thoughts on Baylor and UTSW at the moment?

Hi...

I'm interviewing at UTSW on saturday and will be participating in the clinical rounds program on Friday. Does anyone know where to report for the rounds program? The attached pdf just says South campus... am I missing something? :confused:

Thanks!

There will be signs that direct you to where you need to go. I assume it's at the Bryan Williams, M.D. Student Center since that's where I went for the Friday program. You can always call Anne McLane if you get lost. That's what I did :oops:.

Don't forget to do the HIPAA cert. and good luck! :luck:

I know right? I'm actually listening UTH first, because you can do whatever once you've got your prematch from a school. This way I can keep my options open (although, quite frankly, the chances I'll be at UTSW come August are very very high).

You also got into Baylor correct? What are your thoughts on Baylor and UTSW at the moment?
I am confused. What are you saying? After Jan 15 your options aren't really open anymore, you have to go to the highest ranked school that accepts you in the match (or to no TMDSAS school or a higher ranked school that accepts you off the waitlist).

You realize that if you get into UTH and rank it first, you cannot attend UTSW even if you have a prematch offer there, right?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if you get accepted into UT-H after ranking it as #1, then you lose your spot at UTSW.

Ok my bad I read this bullet on the TMDSAS website:

Applicants holding a pre-match offer who have interviewed at school(s) that did not extend an offer may submit a match preference list ranking one or more of those schools higher than the pre-match offer school without risk of losing the pre-match offer.

and got confused, but I get it now. Thanks!

I have no clue. Right now my plan is to throw a dart.

i am IS. did you receive an acceptance?

I'm OOS and wasn't sure what the schedule was like for getting accepted since I wouldn't pre-match, so I gave the office a call. They told me that if I hadn't heard back yet I am most likely on the alternate list. Hopefully I get a fair shake when they reconsider; I absolutely loved UTSW. I did talk to an OOS M1 there that got accepted 2 weeks before classes started...:eek:

Are you not considering Dartmouth or possibly Mayo? I'm curious b/c I have similar options.
I am considering Mayo...I'm just not so sure Mayo is still considering me. ;) (I've been ranked a long time.)

Dartmouth and UVa were both very appealing and they will probably stay on the list until FA awards. But there is a very good chance I'm going home to Texas.

does the saturday interview start at 8 or 9
i am a bit confused
there is a woman's breakfast at 8
but they say 9 is the welcome
so i assume 9 correct?

There will be signs that direct you to where you need to go. I assume it's at the Bryan Williams, M.D. Student Center since that's where I went for the Friday program. You can always call Anne McLane if you get lost. That's what I did :oops:.

Don't forget to do the HIPAA cert. and good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the info! But yeah I figured it out once I got there.. Wow the school was the amazing I have to say...

i love this school so much! i hope i love it as strongly when im actually a student there in the fall.

i got asked "if health professions didn't existed what would you be?" at both my interviews. how are you supposed to answer that question?

i got asked "if health professions didn't existed what would you be?" at both my interviews. how are you supposed to answer that question?

Probably looking for your other interests and hobbies in an indirect sort of way.

I got asked similar question in both interviews as well.

This is the email I received today for those of you who did not get a prematch offer at UTSW:

"If you have not received a pre-match offer, the next step for you is the Texas Match.

When the match occurs, several applicants will be accepted that day.

All others will be placed on the alternate list. We do not rank our alternate list. As accepted applicants withdraw their acceptance offer and seats become available, we will re-evaluate our alternate list at that time.

There is no way of knowing how many applicants will be accepted through the match. It all depends on how our applicants rank us. There is also no way of knowing how many acceptance offers will be given to those on the alternate list. Again, it all depends on how many folks withdraw their acceptance offers.

If you do not put UT Southwestern first on your list, you take the risk of getting "knocked off" our alternate list. You will need to think very carefully about how you wish to rank your choices for medical school.

I do hope this helps.

Regards,"

a question about housing --

what options are within shuttle/walking distance from school besides medpark?

if i want to find a roommate, how would i go about doing that, or does medpark match you?

This is the email I received today for those of you who did not get a prematch offer at UTSW:

"If you have not received a pre-match offer, the next step for you is the Texas Match.

When the match occurs, several applicants will be accepted that day.

All others will be placed on the alternate list. We do not rank our alternate list. As accepted applicants withdraw their acceptance offer and seats become available, we will re-evaluate our alternate list at that time.

There is no way of knowing how many applicants will be accepted through the match. It all depends on how our applicants rank us. There is also no way of knowing how many acceptance offers will be given to those on the alternate list. Again, it all depends on how many folks withdraw their acceptance offers.

If you do not put UT Southwestern first on your list, you take the risk of getting "knocked off" our alternate list. You will need to think very carefully about how you wish to rank your choices for medical school.

I do hope this helps.

Regards,"

When they say " If you do not put UT Southwestern first on your list, you take the risk of getting "knocked off" our alternate list. "

what does that mean?
Can they see if we ranked them 1st or 2nd or 3rd??
Let's say we rank them 2nd and we get into our 3rd choice. We are put on the alternate list, but are we possibly knocked off now because we ranked them 2nd and not 1st?
If anyone understands this statement please let me know
thanks

deleted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.