2010-2011 Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, this is my first time on here. I interviewed on the 3rd of May and got wait-listed on the 11th. Has anyone from the May 3rd interview and up been accepted yet? Also, my original wait-list e-mail said "there is a good chance of being accepted around the 15th of May" (as many other people from the day got the same message). So I am wondering what the newer e-mails (wait-listed after the 11th say concerning when you should hear back. Im just waiting with the rest of you.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for anyone on the waitlist.

When I got an e-mail detailing my status, Dr. Hinkley said that I'd be receiving a letter (through regular mail). Once I filled out the info required from that, I'd have my spot on the alternate list. Did anyone else have this same experience? I'm thinking now that this isn't such a good sign :(

I got the acceptance call a few hours after the e-mail. I'm very excited, I hopefully will be making a decision within the next week. Good luck to you all, hopefully you guys will get the same call soon.

Also got the acceptance call last week. In-state, have been waitlisted for some time. I am too excited to meet all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
It sure has been slow around here. I wonder if there will be more movement on the alternate list. I got an email last week that said I was approaching the top of the list and they wanted to make sure I was still interested. I replied to tell them I certainly am, but haven't heard anything since. I am beginning to worry.

I interviewed at FAU last thursday and I was really impressed.

The actual COM builiding was very modern with small group rooms, lecture halls in close proximity to laboratories and faculty, and interactive study spaces. The simulation center was amazing, and Dr. Goldstein walked us through an actual examination of a sim man.

My interviewer was very welcoming, and I felt very comfortable discussing my application and future goals with him. He strived to be an advocate for my application the moment I stepped into his office.

Finally, the team at FAU you is very straight forward and honest. Dr. Hinkley told us exactly what we needed to know when it comes to financial aid, the prospects of acceptance/waitlist/rejection, as well as the curriculum.

Dr. Hinkley told us exactly what we needed to know when it comes to financial aid, the prospects of acceptance/waitlist/rejection, as well as the curriculum.

EuropaMoon, what did he tell your group about acceptance and waitlist? I know he wouldn't admit if they're working solely off a waitlist now (which we don't know for fact anyway), but can you recall what he said, how he chose his words?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support. I am not a facebook user, but I look forward to meeting everyone in a few months.

I interview on May 19th, and Dr. H said we would have decisions on June 1st. Is it naive to hope for an acceptance?

I interview on May 19th, and Dr. H said we would have decisions on June 1st. Is it naive to hope for an acceptance?
no everything is possible!!! they might be holding on to a few spots to give to people that have recently interviewed :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on the alternate list this afternoon. the class is "temporarily" full.

Would anyone here recommend asking for more info on where I stand on the alternate list? I've expressed the fact that I'd still like to be considered here, but I'd like to at least have an idea of where I stand. Waiting sucks

So I'm in...

I've got acceptances here and in West Virginia (WVU). Personally, I'm all about going to FAU, but I've got some serious familial pressure to return to the cold hinterlands of the north.

How did FAU fare as a branch campus academically/in terms of students obtaining competitive residencies?
(if anyone happens to know)

Also, does anyone have any idea as to how quantitatively competitive (MCAT/GPA) the first incoming class was/will be?

So I'm in...

I've got acceptances here and in West Virginia (WVU). Personally, I'm all about going to FAU, but I've got some serious familial pressure to return to the cold hinterlands of the north.

How did FAU fare as a branch campus academically/in terms of students obtaining competitive residencies?

Also, does anyone have any idea as to how quantitatively competitive (MCAT/GPA) the first incoming class was/will be?

I knew a few people who went there some years back when they were Umiami and they got their top choices.

From what the poster deuist (UMiami boca class of 2009 student) stated, the average step 1 score of students at FAU was 234ish vs. mid 220s at UMiami.

This, in part, may be due to the PBL based curriculum. I cannot imagine much will change just because they are FAU med now.

From what I saw on SDN MCAT/GPA of the incoming class was about 3.4-4.0 and 30-38 range of the people I've gathered from here and few I know off of here who got interviewed. I'm not sure if they interviewed people lower then this range.

Though I'd not be surprised if there is no one lower then this range as their goal was to stick as close to 3.5 and 30 or so.

So I'm in...

You should PM Deuist if he still posts on here. That's his username. I think I did see some posts by him in his residency years. He may still be around. But he was a graduate of FAU med when it was still branch campus of Umiami.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply, though I can at least vouch for a little bit of leeway in the GPA department.

I know that my undergrad GPA, at least as far as AMCAS was concerned, was closer to 3.3 (3.47 from Pitt w/o the 2 classes I retook).

My master's GPA seems as though it's going to be around 3.7, but that wasn't included in my application. MCAT was a 37, and I'm now a Florida resident, so I'm sure that helped me out a bit.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply, though I can at least vouch for a little bit of leeway in the GPA department.

I know that my undergrad GPA, at least as far as AMCAS was concerned, was closer to 3.3 (3.47 from Pitt w/o the 2 classes I retook).

My master's GPA seems as though it's going to be around 3.7, but that wasn't included in my application. MCAT was a 37, and I'm now a Florida resident, so I'm sure that helped me out a bit.

Yeah but 3.47 from Pitt still means you are in that range I see.

At any rate its probably no lower then 3.2 unless the person had a 3.1 and like 40 MCAT or something. But only FAU can confirm or deny this. I'm only going based on SDN and others I know who've gotten in.

You do have the MCAT score though to make up for a slightly lower GPA and you have, like I stated above, a 3.47 from UPitt. and at that from Upitt that is far more recognized then some schools. Plus 3.7 grad GPA. So if they do what FIU does and collapse grad onto ugrad then that 3.3 probably again goes closer to 3.4. But I don't know if they look at grad separately or just collapse it onto ugrad like at FIU. You'd have to ask them such.

I do think that FAU will have a very strong program going for them because of their 7 year experience as part of Umiami and their clinical sites seem quite solid too and have the elements of other major med schools in Florida. Personally, if the university you are choosing between is WVU and FAU, I'd prefer FAU for the fact that they aren't pushing rural health on you whereas I got the feeling from those I've talked to WVU about that it was heavily rural health focused. But if it is marshall university vs. FAU I don't know much about marshall to compare. Just know a friend got in there recently.

So I'm in...

Quick question: did you get in right after the interview or off the waitlist?

Hey this is my first post on sdn. I was placed on the alternate list and was wondering if anyone found out where they stand on it and how they got that info, thanks!

Hey this is my first post on sdn. I was placed on the alternate list and was wondering if anyone found out where they stand on it and how they got that info, thanks!

Welcome. I am also on the alternate list. FAU does not disclose information about rankings on the alternate list (most schools don't). I have a feeling the list is long, because they interviewed 20 people a week for about 3 months, thats ~200 candidates. I cant imagine them generating post interview rejections with such a small pool, meaning if you were not accepted out right, they have nothing to lose by keeping you around on their WL. I have also not heard of any post interview rejections.

just my 2 cents.

Quick question: did you get in right after the interview or off the waitlist?

Nope, I had to wait a bit. I was interviewed May 10th... or somewhere around there, and got the call a few weeks later.

Goodluck.

Nope, I had to wait a bit. I was interviewed May 10th... or somewhere around there, and got the call a few weeks later.

Goodluck.

FYI: Interviewed 4/14 and accepted ~ 2 weeks ago :D although it may be slow, waitlist movement is happenin...

From a few other posts, it seems like the one's accepted off the waitlist get an e-mail before hand saying that they're near the top. Is that the case for anyone else? I haven't heard much from FAU during these past few weeks.

I knew a few people who went there some years back when they were Umiami and they got their top choices.

From what the poster deuist (UMiami boca class of 2009 student) stated, the average step 1 score of students at FAU was 234ish vs. mid 220s at UMiami.

This, in part, may be due to the PBL based curriculum. I cannot imagine much will change just because they are FAU med now.

From what I saw on SDN MCAT/GPA of the incoming class was about 3.4-4.0 and 30-38 range of the people I've gathered from here and few I know off of here who got interviewed. I'm not sure if they interviewed people lower then this range.

Though I'd not be surprised if there is no one lower then this range as their goal was to stick as close to 3.5 and 30 or so.
Hi gujuDoc! Thanks so much for this info - it is really insightful. I'm currently an OOS admitted to FAU and have withdrawn all my other acceptances so at this point I'm slated to start at FAU CES COM this August. However, I'm still on waitlists for one other school and it is possible that I might enroll there if I get off the waitlist there. So, for those still on waitlists, keep this in mind - and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

gujuDoc, since you know some ppl who went through the UMiami @ Boca program, can you let us know more about the residency matching? You say that many of them got their "top choices" and it appears that the average USMLE 1 scores were pretty high (234!) - but did most people stay IN Florida? This is important to me since I am OOS and would love to spend my time in med school in Florida but I'm not sure if that would be true for residency or afterwards.

Any insights from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all and good luck to all those still on waitlists!

Hi gujuDoc! Thanks so much for this info - it is really insightful. I'm currently an OOS admitted to FAU and have withdrawn all my other acceptances so at this point I'm slated to start at FAU CES COM this August. However, I'm still on waitlists for one other school and it is possible that I might enroll there if I get off the waitlist there. So, for those still on waitlists, keep this in mind - and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

gujuDoc, since you know some ppl who went through the UMiami @ Boca program, can you let us know more about the residency matching? You say that many of them got their "top choices" and it appears that the average USMLE 1 scores were pretty high (234!) - but did most people stay IN Florida? This is important to me since I am OOS and would love to spend my time in med school in Florida but I'm not sure if that would be true for residency or afterwards.

Any insights from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all and good luck to all those still on waitlists!

PM a poster named Deuist. He is the one where my source of info comes from. He'll better be able to help u.

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I interviewed on May 10th, Alternate List May 18th, Accepted today!! There is still hope for those remaining on the Alternate List. Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I interviewed on May 10th, Alternate List May 18th, Accepted today!! There is still hope for those remaining on the Alternate List. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! I interviewed that day as well, hope some luck rubs off here :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.