2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! so what pictures are you sending in? i was just going to crop my face out of picture i look semi-decent in, print 2 copies out, and send them in. do they have to be professional pictures??

I took a picture I liked, cropped my face out, and printed two. I think either way should be fine. I did it my way to save some money :)

Members don't see this ad.

None yet. still trying to finish up my stupid USF and FSU secondaries and Toledo's cultural competence essay and UIC's stressful situation essay.

It was at least 2 or 3 weeks after I sent it in when I called them. I originally called them because I'd never gotten an email confirmation that they got my secondary app. But I had just gotten complete when I called them because that is when my MCAT scores finally came in. So even had they gotten my stuff I'd not have been complete until the week in which I finally called to see if they'd gotten my secondary app.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm thinking that if I get interviews it will prob. be like my friends and be spring interviews cuz first the people with crazy higher stats will get interview offers.
Not really cuz i dont have crazy high stats at least not mcat and i got interviews...
Just mailed my apps express here so i hope they send my complete express too

I had my interview today. Man, it was horrible...... Not! I really liked the school and the students were super laid back and nice. The interview was very relaxed. I think they talked about as much as I did. I really felt like by the end they were more recruiting than interviewing. I'll update when I hear abou my results!!

Let me know if you have any questions. You can pm me too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got rejected from EVMS. My numbers are 3.85/33/oos(canada). I have lots of research experences (MSc., publications, presentations). I have a feeling that may be why I got rejected...

Disappointed because I was counting on this school :(

I was complete on the 17th of August...is this a silent rejection?

Did anyone else that interviewed here get the impression that EVMS isn't gonna release their decisions early like they have in the past? I know they previously allowed applicants to call approximately 2 weeks after the interview, but it seemed to me that they weren't gonna do that this year when I interviewed.

They said they try to get decisions back within 3-4 weeks. From what I've seen that seems to be what they have done in previous years as well.

They said you can call a few weeks after the interview. I just did and was notified that I was accepted. Good luck to the rest of you!

They said you can call a few weeks after the interview. I just did and was notified that I was accepted. Good luck to the rest of you!
Wow congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! that takes out a lot of anxiety i presume. gosh i was just complete today!! I really wished i had sent in my app before Monday.

Wow congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! that takes out a lot of anxiety i presume. gosh i was just complete today!! I really wished i had sent in my app before Monday.

It sure does! My first acceptance, and at a school I really liked!

Hopefully you'll have the same feeling soon.

Congrats on the acceptance...how many weeks has it been since you interviewed?

BTW I think you were the poster who posted in the BU thread after rejection and who emailed them to figure out how they evaluate applicants and then shared that info with us. If you are that guy, then congrats even moreso cuz I know you were a bit upset by that rejection and this is proof of what i said, that most of those rejected from BU will still get in somewhere and you were helpful to people by posting that email.

So I guess that answers my own other question that it wasn't EDP but the Oct 15th isn't a strict rule. Congrats again. :D
I think Oct 15 is the day they OFFICIALLY accept so to speak i think they wait till then to send you the acceptance letter. my assumption

Members don't see this ad :)
So after biochem's good news I went all psycho and called myself, even though I interviewed a week after he did. That's right, I interviewed last Friday :)
Unfortunately, the committee hasn't met for my interview date yet :)

your stat is great, I dont think being Canadian is the reason. I have a friend who got accepted last year with 34, 3.4 GPA from Canada. Do you have any clinical experince other than volunteering in hospital? did you mention your interest in primary health care in your essay? I think your essay or volunteering have problem, your stat is more than enough for any school (Other than Harvard ..) even as a Canadian , you should call them and ask them why they reject you.

Good luck

I got rejected from EVMS. My numbers are 3.85/33/oos(canada). I have lots of research experences (MSc., publications, presentations). I have a feeling that may be why I got rejected...

So after biochem's good news I went all psycho and called myself, even though I interviewed a week after he did. That's right, I interviewed last Friday :)
Unfortunately, the committee hasn't met for my interview date yet :)

Did they happen to tell you when the committee is meeting again?

Did they happen to tell you when the committee is meeting again?

Nope, but from my amazing prowess (reading past years threads :)) I think they meet on Thursdays. Were you in my interview group? I thought they kind of implied that it might take a little longer for our group, but I was still hoping...

Nope, but from my amazing prowess (reading past years threads :)) I think they meet on Thursdays. Were you in my interview group? I thought they kind of implied that it might take a little longer for our group, but I was still hoping...

Mine was the 15th if that's the group you were in. That'd be awesome if they already had a decision for us next Friday.

Mine was the 15th if that's the group you were in. That'd be awesome if they already had a decision for us next Friday.

Aww, no, I was on the 17th.

You're right, it would make my life a lot less stressful if I could find out that early!

BTW I think you were the poster who posted in the BU thread after rejection and who emailed them to figure out how they evaluate applicants and then shared that info with us. If you are that guy, then congrats even moreso cuz I know you were a bit upset by that rejection and this is proof of what i said, that most of those rejected from BU will still get in somewhere and you were helpful to people by posting that email.

So I guess that answers my own other question that it wasn't EDP but the Oct 15th isn't a strict rule. Congrats again. :D

Yes, that was me. At least BU's rejection was quick :) I'm glad my email helped someone. And as someone said after you, I don't think they send the letters out until the 15th, but they can I guess give "unofficial" notifications over the phone.

Thanks for posting your acceptance news BiochemGuy! I called after I saw your post and I also was told "ACCEPTED!" :D

I interviewed on the first interview day, 09/08 and out of state.

Also, the lady on the phone told me that we will receive more information, official correspondence after Oct. 15 :)

^
congrats on the acceptances!

i thought schools were legally bound by the oct 15th date...guess not! :smuggrin:

^
congrats on the acceptances!

i thought schools were legally bound by the oct 15th date...guess not! :smuggrin:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

These are the recommendations by AAMC for medical schools. No school is "legally bound" to follow them, but it behooves them to stay within a reasonable distance of these parameters.

For example, AAMC recommends that acceptance deposit fees should be less than $100, but that isn't always the case.

lucky! the school i interviewed at is holding out for the 15th. tell me already! :p

anybody interviewed on sep 9 on fri get reply yet?

anyone else still waiting to hear back from evms? I was complete in mid july and haven't heard from them since...

did anyone else other than bioguy interview on 9/10 or before, call and ask about their decesion?

did anyone else other than bioguy interview on 9/10 or before, call and ask about their decesion?

Yes. If you look a few posts up I interviewed 09/08 and called after Biochemguy.

Is anyone else interviewing this Friday (Oct. 1st)? Any tips from those who have already interviewed?

Is EVMS extremely concerned with OOS applicants having some kind of connection to Virgina and/or the school itself? Also do they allow 2-4 year students pay in-state tuition like some other schools or do they require you to pay the OOS tuition for all four years?

Is EVMS extremely concerned with OOS applicants having some kind of connection to Virgina and/or the school itself? Also do they allow 2-4 year students pay in-state tuition like some other schools or do they require you to pay the OOS tuition for all four years?

To answer your first question, no, I don't believe they are concerned with OOS students having ties to VA. Most of the out of state students at my intervew day had no ties to VA.

To answer your second question, no, if you are accepted as OOS you have to pay OOS tuition all 4 years. This difference between IS and OOS at this school is incredibly high (~27k IS, 53k OOS).

To answer your second question, no, if you are accepted as OOS you have to pay OOS tuition all 4 years.

You can get out of this and have them switch your tuition to IS, but it's pretty damn hard... Instances in which "overwhelming evidence" would qualify you for IS tuition are things like getting married to VA state resident, buying a house here, committing to a residency here...

That being said, everything is taken on a case by case basis. Just know that probably 98% of OOS students (like me) will continue to pay OOS tuition. You can call the FinAid office and talk to them about it, but it's all pretty much the same.

You can get out of this and have them switch your tuition to IS, but it's pretty damn hard... Instances in which "overwhelming evidence" would qualify you for IS tuition are things like getting married to VA state resident, buying a house here, committing to a residency here...

That being said, everything is taken on a case by case basis. Just know that probably 98% of OOS students (like me) will continue to pay OOS tuition. You can call the FinAid office and talk to them about it, but it's all pretty much the same.

As an OOS student, do you feel like the increased tuition you are paying is worth it? $50k a year is pretty steep. Also, did you have any connection to VA before before your acceptance?

As an OOS student, do you feel like the increased tuition you are paying is worth it? $50k a year is pretty steep. Also, did you have any connection to VA before before your acceptance?

Is it worth it? Well, it's all relative... Do I like the fact that I will graduate with more debt than my future home is worth? Absolutely not.

Do I think the tuition for medical school is worth it? Absolutely.

^^^ Consider that the alternative could've been not going to medical school at all. Just remember that by and large most physicans will make more than enough to pay back their loans and live comfortably. Don't let tuition stop you from going to the school you really want.

Had to comment here as a Virginia resident and with plenty of friends who tried to get instate status for college/pharmacy school/dental school/medical school, etc.

It is almost impossible to get state residency if you originally moved out here to go to school. You basically have to do the following to actually get state residency - a). Get married to a state resident who has a JOB. b) have some sort of job yourself and pay state taxes. c). own property.

Don't go to this school, or any other Virginia school for that matter, if you are counting on becoming a state resident after a year. It just won't happen...

/hijacked thread.

Had to comment here as a Virginia resident and with plenty of friends who tried to get instate status for college/pharmacy school/dental school/medical school, etc.

It is almost impossible to get state residency if you originally moved out here to go to school. You basically have to do the following to actually get state residency - a). Get married to a state resident who has a JOB. b) have some sort of job yourself and pay state taxes. c). own property.

Don't go to this school, or any other Virginia school for that matter, if you are counting on becoming a state resident after a year. It just won't happen...

/hijacked thread.

Thanks for the info. What if my wife moved there with me, got a job, and got residency? or you say if i were to buy some type of property it would be possible too? Thanks for your help.

Hello All,

OOSM, Interviewed on 9/10 and placed on middle waitlist...While it is an expensive endevour for out of states, I was REALLY impressed with the school and would love the oppurtunity to study medicine here. I wanted to get some advice on what I can do in my current situation. Is there a seperate WL for IS and OS? Is calling every week over kill? I want to show the committee that I WANT to come to EVMS.

Hello All,

OOSM, Interviewed on 9/10 and placed on middle waitlist...While it is an expensive endevour for out of states, I was REALLY impressed with the school and would love the oppurtunity to study medicine here. I wanted to get some advice on what I can do in my current situation. Is there a seperate WL for IS and OS? Is calling every week over kill? I want to show the committee that I WANT to come to EVMS.

Hey DocDan,

From what I understand there are OOS and IS waitlists and the OOS waitlist tends to have more movement than the IS waitlist. I would imagine that calling every week at this point wouldn't do you much good. I would update them with anything new you might have and later on in the cycle (like March or April) I might send them a letter expressing your desire to go to EVMS and why you feel you are a good fit? That's just my feeling but that's what I'd probably do.

Good luck! :luck:

I interviewed here today. Great faculty and students. Interview questions:
- ethical question about physician-assisted suicide
- health care reform
- challenges facing doctors today
- why do you think you're a good fit for EVMS
- did you learn anything that surprised you today

The rest was just conversation about parts of my application. All in all it was a good interview. Some people found the ethical questions stressful, but as long as you show them you're aware of the issues and can think through the issue from multiple perspectives, it's fine.

Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews!

Thanks Asantesana, I've been avoiding SDN this application cycle (less stress) but wanted to check in here for what kinds of questions will come up during interview.

I interviewed about three weeks back and still have heard no word from the school (app has not gone to committee yet). Does anyone know if they pick and choose who goes to committee or are there other people in the same boat as me? I have seen others who interviewed around the same time as me get accepted and waitlisted, so I am not sure what to think.

First, Congrats, Ben! :D

locationsuit, it could be just that your interviewers couldn't make it to committee so you didn't come up? I would give it a few more weeks.

I'm not an adcom member, but as a current EVMS student I just want to assert that EVMS is NOT averse to students interested in research - I have an extensive research background myself. That being said, EVMS definitely places far more emphasis on community service and clinical experience, so most accepted applicants either have these types of ECs, or have somehow shown the potential to be engaged in them in the future. If your application package somehow skewed heavily toward research at the expense of these other "qualities", that may have been a factor, but strong research experience is not a deterrent.

Keep in mind, the adcom is trying to build a student body that is balanced and will be happy with the education at EVMS. Perhaps your application indicated that you have research ambitions that would be better matched at another institution, and didn't reflect interests that would be compatible with EVMS' particular misson. Perhaps they LOVED all your research but just accepted someone with a similar profile and are trying to maintain a balance (which sucks, I know, but it happened to me elsewhere). Or perhaps there is some unknown reason that you will never know about. It is definitely worth calling the admissions office to see if Dr. Solhaug can review your application - despite the archaic methods, this school is quite nice about communicating with prospective students. As long as your stats are competitive (and it looks like they are), there is a place for you somewhere...

How do they go about interviews and acceptances? Website, Email, or snail mail? I know some are still using snail mail for certain things.

has anyone received an interview invite lately? I've been complete for 6 weeks and haven't heard anything

Hey guys

Just wanted to post (since I was on here daily before I found out) that I was accepted! OOS, 3.63 GPA, MCAT near the school's average (I haven't told anyone my score and I'm not about to post it online to the world), and many EC's (research, VA volunteering, music performance, volunteering in Ghana, etc). I interviewed on 9/17.

Good luck to everyone waiting for an interview, going to your interview, waiting for a response (the worst part), and hopefuls from the waitlist!

Status
Not open for further replies.