2010-2011 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview invite today! Submitted secondary on 9/15

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know why this school doesn't like me. I thought I wrote an awesome essay and they are handing out so many interviews! Not for me though :(.

submitted secondary 10/6
interview invite 10/22- really fast response!
interviewing 11/29

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating attending this interview. I think my main motivation would be to see if there would be a 1-4 year scholarship of some kind for being in the starter-class. I most likely won't attend a new school (now that I have two other acceptances) unless there will be a scholarship/waiver... so I don't want to take away a interview spot to someone who would attend the school... but I do want to go to find out if there will be a tuition waiver.

Has anyone heard anything about inaugural class scholarships? Or would I be wasting Hofstra's time attending my interview.

I'm debating attending this interview. I think my main motivation would be to see if there would be a 1-4 year scholarship of some kind for being in the starter-class. I most likely won't attend a new school (now that I have two other acceptances) unless there will be a scholarship/waiver... so I don't want to take away a interview spot to someone who would attend the school... but I do want to go to find out if there will be a tuition waiver.

Has anyone heard anything about inaugural class scholarships? Or would I be wasting Hofstra's time attending my interview.

I heard from someone else who interviewed that they are not currently planning on giving scholarships, but that might be revisited later in the season. I believe he also said that they wouldn't be sending out acceptances until December.

Great job with the early acceptances. Probably more to come still. :thumbup:

They're definitely offering a tuition break, but it won't be as cheap as a SUNY. They won't give out exact numbers yet. Why not just go to the interview and find out?

I heard from someone else who interviewed that they are not currently planning on giving scholarships, but that might be revisited later in the season. I believe he also said that they wouldn't be sending out acceptances until December.

They're definitely offering a tuition break, but it won't be as cheap as a SUNY. They won't give out exact numbers yet. Why not just go to the interview and find out?
So now I have two different opinions, haha. Orion, where did you hear they will be giving tuition breaks? I might go out to interview just to find out -- but it's over $200 for me to travel to NYC... and I would hate to take an interview spot from someone who would attend the school regardless if their is a tuition break or not... so I was just curious what other people have heard. I bet Hofstra would be able to get a good class even without tuition breaks, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they aren't planning to (like sphun says)

So now I have two different opinions, haha. Orion, where did you hear they will be giving tuition breaks? I might go out to interview just to find out -- but it's over $200 for me to travel to NYC... and I would hate to take an interview spot from someone who would attend the school regardless if their is a tuition break or not... so I was just curious what other people have heard. I bet Hofstra would be able to get a good class even without tuition breaks, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they aren't planning to (like sphun says)

I heard this directly from the financial aid director's mouth. Is bus travel an option for you? boltbus.com has great rates into manhattan and from there it is $13 round trip.

I heard this directly from the financial aid director's mouth. Is bus travel an option for you? boltbus.com has great rates into manhattan and from there it is $13 round trip.
Well I could take the greyhound for a 9-13 hour trip for $130... but then that makes the $200+ airplane ticket sounds very appealing. I'll plan on attending the interview though as it does sound worth it. I have friends out in long island that i can stay with and I plan on just taking the MTA train to hofstra in the morning... so overall, it wouldn't be too horrible to come out to NYC.

does hofstra care when you interview? I heard they release acceptance in january/feb?

reason is cause i have interview in 5 days and i suddently have SO MUCH WORK/test/projects/groupprojects, that i dont think i'll be able to prepare well or do well in school. The earliest reschedule date is all the way in december.. actually the only dates remaining are teh ones in december.. (no dates after that).

do you guys think itd be dumb to reschedule? do they care about this?

does hofstra care when you interview? I heard they release acceptance in january/feb?

reason is cause i have interview in 5 days and i suddently have SO MUCH WORK/test/projects/groupprojects, that i dont think i'll be able to prepare well or do well in school. The earliest reschedule date is all the way in december.. actually the only dates remaining are teh ones in december.. (no dates after that).

do you guys think itd be dumb to reschedule? do they care about this?

IMO, I dont think when you interview will affect you, but at the same time, Its not 100% clear if they will fill up spots as they go or if they will choose after they interview most candidates. Either way, good luck with all your work and the interview

Finally submitted my application to Hofstra today (my last secondary)!! So late!!!! But I didn't get an email confirmation - is that normal?

I stand corrected. I got my info several weeks ago so it is possible that they have decided to offer breaks in this amount of time. I still wouldn't bank on it, but its nice to think about :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone was very nice at interview day! The day was definitely a bit long like others mentioned.

How on earth are they going to narrow down who to accept from such a large interview pool? Especially since it seems like everyone had a great interview experience here.

Interviewing on 12/17!! My secondary was received on 9/21, okay stats. I got the invite on 10/27. Anyone know the best way to get here if I am flying from LAX? I am really naive about flying. :soexcited:

Interviewing on 12/17!! My secondary was received on 9/21, okay stats. I got the invite on 10/27. Anyone know the best way to get here if I am flying from LAX? I am really naive about flying. :soexcited:

I'll be there 12/17 as well. You can fly into LGA or JFK. I think there are trains that run out of JFK, which may be easier. The LIRR runs into Hempstead. The MTA website would be helpful in planning.

Hello,

For those of you who have already interviewed, what is the best way to get to the medical school campus if I am traveling from Penn Station that morning? I was told to take the LIRR to Hempstead Station and then take a cab.

Thanks!

Hello,

For those of you who have already interviewed, what is the best way to get to the medical school campus if I am traveling from Penn Station that morning? I was told to take the LIRR to Hempstead Station and then take a cab.

Thanks!

That's definitely your best bet--Hofstra is in Hempstead. It's a 5 minute cab ride.

That's definitely your best bet--Hofstra is in Hempstead. It's a 5 minute cab ride.

Hofstra also has shuttles running from the train station to the the school. Check the website for a schedule and route map. The stops by the gym and student center should be pretty close to the med school.

Interview invite today! 3.5/32 OOS

Interview Friday 11/5... Anyone going to be there?

Going to be there 12/17. Anyone want to split a hotel room?! I'm not too crazy...looking to save some $$$. PM if you're interested!

Hello,

Thanks!

take the lirr from penn station to hempstead, and then hofstra has a shuttle that will take you to the school. im sure you can check the schedule online

so just so i'm clear on this...

Hofstra's class is around 40-45, but they are interviewing 800 people? is there anyone else that finds that absurd?

Hofstra's class is around 40-45, but they are interviewing 800 people? is there anyone else that finds that absurd?

it is, but this is their first class, they're new to all this. they're probably looking for the right kids. Who knows they may accept 100+ w/ 40-50 enrolling.

Hey... those of you who have been offered interviews, mind sharing stats? I've had my app complete since August and still no word. I called the admissions office and was told that admissions are not really "rolling." The lady wouldn't tell me how they decide in what order to look at our apps, but it's not first come first serve.

Hey... those of you who have been offered interviews, mind sharing stats? I've had my app complete since August and still no word. I called the admissions office and was told that admissions are not really "rolling." The lady wouldn't tell me how they decide in what order to look at our apps, but it's not first come first serve.

I don't think stats really matter doctor. I think they're giving interviews to everyone in the stats spectrum.

Samurai, where did you get the number 800? Did they tell you this at the interview or is it heresay?

Last edited:
it is, but this is their first class, they're new to all this. they're probably looking for the right kids. Who knows they may accept 100+ w/ 40-50 enrolling.

They're not accepting anywhere near 100+. When I interviewed, they said they'd be keeping the acceptance list very tight (accept only 40-50 and see how many reject before issuing more acceptances) because it's a new school and they're not sure what to expect. They're only enrolling 40 because the Accreditation Board only allows 40 for the first year.

Interviewed here 11/2 complete september 33P/ 3.7 GPA 3.8 sGPA

Samurai, where did you get the number 800? Did they tell you this at the interview or is it heresay?

they said it at the interview. also, my interview group had ~15 students, which would be ~1/3 of the class size. craziness.

complete late august, interviewed 10/21, 31R/3.67 in state

Hey, I interviewed 11/5. Im IS, 30, 3.63

According to the ADCOM, the reason its not "rolling" admission is that they will wait until everyone has submitted their AMCAs in December to begin making decisions and giving out acceptances in January. Since its their first class, they want to make sure they have looked at all students. You have to realize, as much as grades have a part in the decision, they are looking for people who will shine and make their first class phenomenal because these students will be making their reputation. (especially with the new curriculum)

Good Luck Doctor Bella

I thought the school was amazing. I loved the area (close to the city but not the city) and the hospital system is crazy! Not to mention that everything is completely brand new and WIDE OPEN. It looks crazy. :thumbup:

I thought the school was amazing. I loved the area (close to the city but not the city) and the hospital system is crazy! Not to mention that everything is completely brand new and WIDE OPEN. It looks crazy. :thumbup:

LI/J is a great system over here. Definitely a positive for the school.

How come I still haven't received an interview invite yet. I applied withing weeks after secondary came out with a 3.88 and a 31.

How come I still haven't received an interview invite yet. I applied withing weeks after secondary came out with a 3.88 and a 31.

Some schools are stat ******, others are not. What is Hofstra? Nobody knows.

i thought the school was amazing. I loved the area (close to the city but not the city) and the hospital system is crazy! Not to mention that everything is completely brand new and wide open. It looks crazy. :thumbup:

+1

That's weird... maybe you should call them

For those who got an interview, did anything change on your hofstra portal? Mine just continues to say that they have received an overwhelming number of applications.

For those who got an interview, did anything change on your hofstra portal? Mine just continues to say that they have received an overwhelming number of applications.

It changed to a page where you can schedule an interview.

They're not accepting anywhere near 100+. When I interviewed, they said they'd be keeping the acceptance list very tight (accept only 40-50 and see how many reject before issuing more acceptances) because it's a new school and they're not sure what to expect. They're only enrolling 40 because the Accreditation Board only allows 40 for the first year.

Want to make a bet? Even Johns Hopkins has to accept more than twice their class size to actually fill it. A new medical school will very likely need to accept twice the total number of slots as well, especially since many people would rather go to an established medical school rather than 'risk' it at a new one. LIJ is a great system so I think many people will overestimate that risk but it will definitely play a factor. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to accept ~120 people when all is said and done to fill their class.

Want to make a bet? Even Johns Hopkins has to accept more than twice their class size to actually fill it. A new medical school will very likely need to accept twice the total number of slots as well, especially since many people would rather go to an established medical school rather than 'risk' it at a new one. LIJ is a great system so I think many people will overestimate that risk but it will definitely play a factor. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to accept ~120 people when all is said and done to fill their class.

I interviewed at PSU and Drexel and both schools say that they end up accepting between 2x-3x the class size...

I'd imagine hofstra would be about that or a bit more. I predict they accept maybe 120-140 to fill up the class. I assume most of that will come from the waitlist just so they dont overaccept.

Status
Not open for further replies.