2010-2011 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting not so patiently...good luck everybody in the same boat...!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed near the end of January and called the admissions office to see when they would be meeting for that interview group.

I was told there's another meeting sometime next week, so there's still time for everyone else who's waiting!

Thanks for the info, I was worried that they had already called the accepted people by now.

In previous years 30-50 ppl were accepted off the waitlist...just the last two cycles were a bit odd....

I am hoping they accept fewer ppl outright or the waitlist movement goes back to what it used to be...

Reasons waitlist movement has changed in the last two years are likely the new Genes to Society curriculum and the switch to Pass/Fail. These changes are making Hopkins more attractive than ever compared to the other top schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reasons waitlist movement has changed in the last two years are likely the new Genes to Society curriculum and the switch to Pass/Fail. These changes are making Hopkins more attractive than ever compared to the other top schools.
and the awesome new education building

and the awesome new education building

The education building is pretty awesome, but in all honesty If I had to guess it would be the switch to P/F by a mile.. we'll see what happens this year though

The education building is pretty awesome, but in all honesty If I had to guess it would be the switch to P/F by a mile.. we'll see what happens this year though

I agree with this. The new medical school building and the soon-to-be new hospital are really nice, but being at such a great program, with the quality of faculty and students that it attracts, and not having the weight of direct competition pressing on you during the preclinical years is a huge positive.

I just called the admissions office. I interviewed February 11th, and they just told me that they will meet to decide about that group next week. I think at the interview, they said March 17th.

In previous years 30-50 ppl were accepted off the waitlist...just the last two cycles were a bit odd....

I am hoping they accept fewer ppl outright or the waitlist movement goes back to what it used to be...

Hey gang, just a suggestion... if you have been waitlisted , and Hopkins is indeed a school you are still strongly considering, I would DEFINITELY just stay on the waitlist regardless of the lack of movement seen in the past... as brainbuff stated earlier, every year is different and you have absolutely nothing to lose by simply keeping your position on the list.

on another note, regardless of where you matriculate this fall, I wish the best of luck to each of you!

hey all, I just got the acceptance call from Dean Hicks 18 minutes ago at 7:00 PM MST. I interviewed on Friday, February 4th. Hope this helps!

hey all, I just got the acceptance call from Dean Hicks 18 minutes ago at 7:00 PM MST. I interviewed on Friday, February 4th. Hope this helps!

Did anyone else get a call last week? I didn't get a call but I also didn't get a waitlist/rejection letter. Hopefully this means they are still making decisions next week :xf::xf::xf:

So I interviewed in mid Jan, got a call from Dean Hicks on Wednesday 3/23 around noon west coast time. She said that she was making calls on 3/22, but when she got to mine, she was afraid I might already be asleep (due to the time difference), and so she waited until the next day. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I think this past week's acceptances were the the last batch to fill the 120 spots (and second look is in like a week and a half)

So I interviewed in mid Jan, got a call from Dean Hicks on Wednesday 3/23 around noon west coast time. She said that she was making calls on 3/22, but when she got to mine, she was afraid I might already be asleep (due to the time difference), and so she waited until the next day. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I think this past week's acceptances were the the last batch to fill the 120 spots (and second look is in like a week and a half)

No offense but I of course I hope you are wrong!! :laugh:

She said that she was making calls on 3/22, but when she got to mine, she was afraid I might already be asleep (due to the time difference), and so she waited until the next day.

Given that the west coast is three hours behind the east coast, wouldn't that make it less likely for you to already be asleep?

Members don't see this ad :)
Given that the west coast is three hours behind the east coast, wouldn't that make it less likely for you to already be asleep?

wait lol you're totally right. i couldve sworn she mentioned something about wanting to call me the day before (on 3/22), but i mightve just been really happy and misheard. i was also on the toilet when she called my cell phone, so there was a bunch of reasons I might have misheard...

as some have mentioned earlier, in the past 2 application cycles, only 3-4 students have been accepted off the wait list. does that necessarily mean that only 3-4 students out of 120 accepted defected? that would bring hopkins retention rate to like 97% (# eventually attend/total # accepted), which is astronomical compared to harvard/penn/other top schools who have a retention rate of about 50% - 60%.

I can see how the 97% retention rate might be inflated due to some students withdrawing their acceptance from hopkins before may 15th, and since hopkins is rolling, the withdrawn acceptance would be given to another student who isn't technically "waitlisted". but i feel this number is small (since most people would cling to a hopkins acceptance until the last second on may 15), and would still make hopkins matriculation/retention rate phenomenal

am i missing something here? im trying to choose between penn and hopkins, and as terrible as this sounds, that really high retention rate is making me think hopkins (with its new curriculum, grading, and buildings) would be a jewel to pass up

am i missing something here?

You are. They only pull 3-4 off the waitlist because they are accurately handing out the number of acceptances that they need to fill their class of 120. Probably something on the order of 200-240 acceptances to fill those seats. Most competitive schools are around 2:1 acceptances to matriculants. Only after those 240 acceptances are sent out, and they still end up with <120 matriculants, do they hit the waitlist for those empty 3-4 seats.

Got my sad piece of snail mail from Hopkins today.
Interviewed in late Jan.

Just so people don't freak out, there is one more admissions committee meeting left in April for the folks who interviewed in February.

Just so people don't freak out, there is one more admissions committee meeting left in April for the folks who interviewed in February.
sorry for fear mongering, i saw someone who said they interviewed in feb and got the call from hicks, so i assumed the feb interviews had already been through the committee. good luck to those still waiting!

You are. They only pull 3-4 off the waitlist because they are accurately handing out the number of acceptances that they need to fill their class of 120. Probably something on the order of 200-240 acceptances to fill those seats. Most competitive schools are around 2:1 acceptances to matriculants. Only after those 240 acceptances are sent out, and they still end up with <120 matriculants, do they hit the waitlist for those empty 3-4 seats.
got it. so when they say pull off the waitlist, they mean handing out an acceptance after may 15th? im guessing there are students who are "waitlisted" early in the rolling admissions process, and then granted an acceptance a few months down the road, but still prior to may 15th, but these technically aren't "waitlist" acceptances?

sorry for fear mongering, i saw someone who said they interviewed in feb and got the call from hicks, so i assumed the feb interviews had already been through the committee. good luck to those still waiting!

not exactly... there are still five February interview days that have yet to be dicussed, so there is still hope for people that interviewed in February!

jebberie said:
im trying to choose between penn and hopkins, and as terrible as this sounds, that really high retention rate is making me think hopkins (with its new curriculum, grading, and buildings) would be a jewel to pass up

Congratulations on your acceptances! As previously mentioned, the retention rate is similar for both schools. However, even if one of the schools had a 97% retention rate, there is sooo much more to both schools to consider than their retention rate... things like the P/F GTS curriculum, state of the art teaching building, new Hospital, new dorms (Spring 2012) and one of a kind sub-I exerience on the "O" are a few of the perks at Hopkins. Or, if you're concerned about how residency programs view the graduates of a particular medical school, that information can be found from US News and World Report if you have the subscription for the detailed rankings. (FYI, Hopkins has been ranked or tied #1 regarding peer assessment score and residency program assessment score for the last 10 years worth of rankings ;)

... the overall research rankings for Hopkins, Penn, Duke, WASHU, UCSF change depending largely on the amount of money reported by the research institution that year, nothing else really changes ... Harvard will always retain the #1 research ranking because between the medical school and its 18 affiliated Hospitals, it reports 1.7 Billion in research dollars (although the medical school itself brings in less money than Hopkins, UPENN, or WASHU)

in the end, if you've been accepted to a school, I encourage you to visit all of them if possible for their respective 2nd look weekends. The gut feeling, individual vibe and financial aid packages at each school should also play a huge role in your decision making!

hang on, new dorm??? in 2012?? awesome!!
Ya but it looks like the 2012 batch would benefit not really us since a lot of ppl move out after M1 but maybe it will be so awesome that we would wanna stay there!!!!

Ya but it looks like the 2012 batch would benefit not really us since a lot of ppl move out after M1 but maybe it will be so awesome that we would wanna stay there!!!!

The new dorm is opening Spring 2012, so hopefully we will get to move in as M1s during our second semester. I have heard that most people move out of the dorms beginning M-3 year, so we will have a full year and a half in the new dorms!! :D

Could you explain this please rjdmmfl?

Thanks!

RJ's trying (I assume) to say that you get to chase around the Osler Marines for a Sub-I.

(Osler is the medicine program at JHU; the interns are colloquially referred to as Osler Marines, because, well, it's a tough program. You can assume how such names about. If you look around in the IM subforum, you can find more info.)

Could you explain this please rjdmmfl?

Thanks!

so, sub-I, or sub-internships can be very different across schools, and even within the same school amongst different specialties. a sub-I is what you do after you have spent time on the general service in a particular area (i.e. medicine, surgery, pediatrics, etc)

the "O" is the internal medicine service at Hopkins, which ( in addition to consistently being ranked or tied #1 for the top Internal medicine training program in the country), was the first "residency" training program in the country (its where the term residency began, i.e. William Osler wanted the doctors to "Reside" in the hospital to take care of their patients, a novel idea at the time).

since its inception, Hopkins interns differed from interns everywhere else in the country (except Mass General at Harvard) in that, by the end of their 3rd month, they were 100% autonomous in the care of their patients with essentially no supervision from senior residents or chiefs. Thus, Hopkins interns carry the workload and have the responsibility of 2nd year residents everywhere else. This is , by definition, a front loaded program (interns carry the weight of the medicine service)

The main difference between being a sub-I on the "O" vs many other places is the fact that Hopkins medical students, as medicine sub-I's, are actually temporarily given National Provider Identification (NPI) numbers and are treated like Osler interns for that month. You are essentially in complete control of the care for your patient, and your orders need only be signed by your senior before they are complete.

So as a medical student at Hopkins, you have the opportunity to manage patients at a level that many interns do not have across the country, simply by nature of the design of the residency program itself.

I interviewed on Feb. 18 and was told that our group would not receive decisions in time for second look, which seems to be in a week. If you interviewed around that time I think you can rest easy for a few days.

Good luck :)

Anyone else interview in March? Any updates?

I called the office yesterday and was told the meeting is today for those of us who interviewed in the end of February or in March. Calls should go out tonight for acceptances. Rejections and waitlists should arrive via postal mail by the end of the week or early next week.

sooo, to any of you guys who went to second look, how was it???

sooo, to any of you guys who went to second look, how was it???

It was awesome! I really loved the "vibe" i got from faculty, current students and most important I really liked my future classmates!! The group seems to be very diverse and a lot of fun - musicians, business grads, athletes, peace corps members, engineers, artists and international students. I was quiet impressed by the fact that everyone is driven and motivated beyond academics.

At the end, we were all trying to convince each other to attend Hopkins so that we can be together next year. The choices I saw most frequent were Harvard, Penn and Yale. If I remember correctly, we were also told they had accepted 140 students so far and about 100 of those were attending Second Look.

Baltimore seens like a fun city as well and the campus area is extremely safe. I will be going to Penn Preview, so I am sure I will run into some of you overthere!

I called the office yesterday and was told the meeting is today for those of us who interviewed in the end of February or in March. Calls should go out tonight for acceptances. Rejections and waitlists should arrive via postal mail by the end of the week or early next week.

Anybody gotten that call yet?

It was awesome! I really loved the "vibe" i got from faculty, current students and most important I really liked my future classmates!! The group seems to be very diverse and a lot of fun - musicians, business grads, athletes, peace corps members, engineers, artists and international students. I was quiet impressed by the fact that everyone is driven and motivated beyond academics.

At the end, we were all trying to convince each other to attend Hopkins so that we can be together next year. The choices I saw most frequent were Harvard, Penn and Yale. If I remember correctly, we were also told they had accepted 140 students so far and about 100 of those were attending Second Look.

Baltimore seens like a fun city as well and the campus area is extremely safe. I will be going to Penn Preview, so I am sure I will run into some of you overthere!

you all should come to hopkins so i can meet you!! :laugh: i was quite sad to have missed second look, but there was an ocean between me and balitmore...

it was very nice. the only negative comments i heard were from a few prospective students who were taken aback by comments from faculty speakers alluding to the Hopkins's pig controversy (http://www.wbaltv.com/r/26985914/detail.html)

oh...eek!

Do ppl send LOIs to Hopkins after being waitlisted since it is ranked? I would assume sedning a letter would not really sway them since we are already ranked.

Do ppl send LOIs to Hopkins after being waitlisted since it is ranked? I would assume sedning a letter would not really sway them since we are already ranked.

Where did you hear it is ranked?

Where did you hear it is ranked?
Yea i dont think its ranked unless im mixin up school I think they try to replace people who "match" the profile of those whose place they are trying to fill up BUT I might be wrong

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is ranked based on the wording of the waitlist letter... probably wont matter too much, but you can try. There are so few people coming off the thing I doubt we will ever know if it helps or not.

Letter says "Unfortunately, we are not able to tell you your rank on the list"

Either that means 1) they have ranks, but they are not allowed to tell us or 2) they are not able to tell us because it is unranked to begin with.

Given my two cents, I think it is the former, though.

Letter says "Unfortunately, we are not able to tell you your rank on the list"

Either that means 1) they have ranks, but they are not allowed to tell us or 2) they are not able to tell us because it is unranked to begin with.

Given my two cents, I think it is the former, though.

I got the same waitlist letter. But it's probably the latter, IMHO. They can't have ranked interviewees without knowing the entire applicant pool back in October/November.

Also, I heard that at Second Look, they announced that only ~140 people were accepted directly after interviews. Considering that they usually accept ~200+ by this time, this may allow for a little bit more waitlist movement.

I got the same waitlist letter. But it's probably the latter, IMHO. They can't have ranked interviewees without knowing the entire applicant pool back in October/November.

Also, I heard that at Second Look, they announced that only ~140 people were accepted directly after interviews. Considering that they usually accept ~200+ by this time, this may allow for a little bit more waitlist movement.

.Well they could have ranked like almost all other schools rank and just moved people around based on their scores after the committee meetings… I really think this is how they would do it. .

does anyone have admission statistics for hopkins from the 2008-2009 or the 2009-2010 application cycle? I'm interested in seeing how the new curriculum has changed the admissions numbers.

all i know is that in the 2009 and 2010 application cycle, only 3-4 students were taken off the waitlist, but I still don't know how many students were accepted pre-waitlist...

does anyone have admission statistics for hopkins from the 2008-2009 or the 2009-2010 application cycle? I'm interested in seeing how the new curriculum has changed the admissions numbers.

all i know is that in the 2009 and 2010 application cycle, only 3-4 students were taken off the waitlist, but I still don't know how many students were accepted pre-waitlist...

I have Fall 2007 applications and acceptees: (From US News, Third Edition)
Applied 4,344
Interviewed 774
Accepted 279
Enrolled 118

The MSAR does not show the number of Accepted but this is what they reported for Applied and Interviewed during the following cycles:

2006-2007
Applied 5842
Interviewed 648

2009-2010
Applied 5661
Interviewed 759

I am not sure why the number of applicants is lower for 2007, but I would say the new grading system - P/F- has definitely changed the admissions numbers. I think they told us during Second Look that for this year, Applied 7200, Interviewed 750, Accepted 140 (right?) Expected Enrolled 118

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.