2010-2011 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent them an update/interest letter pre-interview and they emailed me back saying I was rejected.

Thanks, I sent them a letter too - looking at their info, it looked like I had to send the update by snail mail, but I copied their general admission office email address too - have not heard anything back.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed early January on a Thursday, and was told the adcom meeting is early next week. very nervewracking. I hope results come out next week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is hopkins done sending out interview invites? I have sent several updates in, but have not heard anything.

Is hopkins done sending out interview invites? I have sent several updates in, but have not heard anything.

Same for me. They have to be finished by now, yes. Either our applications were lost or forgotten about, or they are just really getting lazy about applicants they were on the fence about. And delaying sending out pre-interview rejections.

does anyone know the approximate percentage of M1s that live on campus? I don't know what to put on my financial aid form.

Ya i think the number i got was like 80%

much closer to 50%. There's just not enough room in reed hall for 80% of the class. Although this may change in a few years once they build the new student housing (if that ever happens according to schedule)

much closer to 50%. There's just not enough room in reed hall for 80% of the class. Although this may change in a few years once they build the new student housing (if that ever happens according to schedule)

I think the current MS1 class had closer to 80% (that's the number I got at my interview) living in Reed Hall. However, they DID say that normally it was closer to 50% in other years....

I think the current MS1 class had closer to 80% (that's the number I got at my interview) living in Reed Hall. However, they DID say that normally it was closer to 50% in other years....

Haha I guess so then. Bottom line either way for financial aid purposes it shouldn't matter that much because rent now is ~600 at reed and outside housing isn't much different (if 2-3 people are sharing)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed early January on a Thursday, and was told the adcom meeting is early next week. very nervewracking. I hope results come out next week!

Can anyone confirm this? I was told at the interview that we wouldn't hear back until late March.

Can anyone confirm this? I was told at the interview that we wouldn't hear back until late March.

I know people who interviewed the first thurs of Feb and they found out they got in yesterday. But I don't know if they go in order or what. hope it helps. Good luck

Bummer, looks like I missed out unless they decided to go in reverse order... lol.

They havent found out from interviewing at the end of feb, i know people who've interviewed at the end of january and they wont hear til the end of march...

Last edited:
hi there, are any of you guys decided on hopkins already? i am but i can't go to second look since i'm still out of the country. would anyone mind telling me after second look what reed was like? conversely, does anyone know how housing gets assigned in reed? is it lotteried? how does one get into a suite or a single? thanks :)

hi there, are any of you guys decided on hopkins already? i am but i can't go to second look since i'm still out of the country. would anyone mind telling me after second look what reed was like? conversely, does anyone know how housing gets assigned in reed? is it lotteried? how does one get into a suite or a single? thanks :)

you put down your preferences (single, suite) and if demand exceeds supply it goes to a lottery system. Who knows what will happen this year, as per an earlier post, the average # of people who stay has gone up from 50 to 80%.

you put down your preferences (single, suite) and if demand exceeds supply it goes to a lottery system. Who knows what will happen this year, as per an earlier post, the average # of people who stay has gone up from 50 to 80%.

thank you for letting me know!

I am pretty set on Hopkins sorry you cant go to second look. I had a tour of reed on my interview day and the room the the wing where medical students typically stay only have 4 and 8 bedrooms apartments with common kitchen sitting area and bath. The other wing has singles with common bath for the floor i think but from what I gathered mostly public health students and others stay in that wing. Rooms are pretty small obviously. I think they said 80 students typically stay in Reed out of 120 so its about 66%. I will also look into apts around since I love my space so I will let you kno what I get. IF anything more PM me.

Have fun out of the country future classmate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone else get a call today? The possible silent rejection is killing me inside.

Hey Guys!

Did those of you that interviewed on the Thursday in super early January get a call today? Also, do those who are accepted receive a letter at all or just an e-mail? Pleassssssseee let me know.

Hey Guys!

Did those of you that interviewed on the Thursday in super early January get a call today? Also, do those who are accepted receive a letter at all or just an e-mail? Pleassssssseee let me know.

I jnterviewed on the first Thursday in january and I haven't heard anything. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed but I hope we hear soon!

Hey Guys!

I interviewed that thursday early jan and still havent heard anything

I was out of the country so I got my acceptance letter by email. Don't know if they called or not because my phone is switched off.

Congrats!!!! A come back from the harvard news huh!!! I hope we classmates next year. I mean in a couple of months

Congrats!!!! A come back from the harvard news huh!!! I hope we classmates next year. I mean in a couple of months

A comeback indeed. Thanks. Hopefully we will be classmates :)

So is a snail mail letter only sent out if you get rejected/waitlisted? Otherwise would you get a phone call/email? Thank you so much for your help everyone! I really really want to get into this school. :scared:

So is a snail mail letter only sent out if you get rejected/waitlisted? Otherwise would you get a phone call/email? Thank you so much for your help everyone! I really really want to get into this school. :scared:

Yes, to my knowledge phone call=accepted, snail mail=waitlist/rejection (usually recieved after calls made to those accepted). Hang in there!

interviewed 1/7

heard back in Feb via phone call (new to this whole SDN thing...)

cannot wait to see Baltimore again in a few weeks!

good luck to those still waiting

Still no call from Hopkins. I fear the snail mail is on the way.

anyone have numbers on how many they accepted/waitlisted THIS year

anyone have numbers on how many they accepted/waitlisted THIS year

Think they take 100 to the waitlist (and that barely moves at all) not sure about this year though I can only expect it to be close to the statistics from other years since its pretty much the end of the season

Think they take 100 to the waitlist (and that barely moves at all) not sure about this year though I can only expect it to be close to the statistics from other years since its pretty much the end of the season
its 200 or so ...and ya kinda early to know the exact numbers for this year

me too. Maybe there will be another committee meeting for the thursday interviewees. :luck:

I can imagine that things are hectic these days for you all, so to try and help relieve some stress... if you interviewed on a Thursday between Jan 6 and Feb 3 or on a Friday between Jan 14 and Feb 11, you will hear back prior to second look weekend if accepted (I can't give an exact date)... if you interviewed after those dates, you will likely not be notified of acceptance until after second look weekend...

I wouldn't worry about getting snail mail just yet, unless your interview was before one of those dates in the quote.

its 200 or so ...and ya kinda early to know the exact numbers for this year

Oh I was just quoting a post earlier where they said that they went into it in detail at their interview day and she said 100.. I don't really know to be honest, but accepting 200 for between 3-8 people... even like 40 (for a few years ago) is a lot, no? I guess a lot of schools do that though..

Oh I was just quoting a post earlier where they said that they went into it in detail at their interview day and she said 100.. I don't really know to be honest, but accepting 200 for between 3-8 people... even like 40 (for a few years ago) is a lot, no? I guess a lot of schools do that though..

I think 4ksibe is right; Dean Hicks said at my interview date that they were on track to interview 800. Of those 800ish students they accept 200 and WL 200. Granted I interviewed in November so maybe the numbers could have changed slightly, but I think for the most part these numbers are around the same. As for WLing 200 people for a small number of spots, I think that's because no one really knows how many of the original acceptees choose Hopkins or go elsewhere. Not everyone chooses to stay on the WL. In the past 2 years they haven't pulled that many from the WL but who knows what could happen. Oh, and Dean Hicks said that Hopkins has a relatively late start date compared to a lot of other med schools, so if they have super last minute withdrawals they have to have a pool of 'eligible' students to pull from. (eligible = not matriculated at another school)

Edit: I'll be staying on the waitlist!

Last edited:
The waitlist has not moved much in the last couple of years. I believe there were 3 and 5 accepted off the waitlist for 2009 and 2010 respectively. Harvard has said that the majority of crossadmits that they lose, are to Hopkins and Columbia. I get the feeling that most of the people who apply to Hopkins consider it a "first choice" and this may account for the little waitlist movement.

Every year is different, so those who are still waiting should not lose hope!

I interviewed near the end of January and called the admissions office to see when they would be meeting for that interview group.

I was told there's another meeting sometime next week, so there's still time for everyone else who's waiting!

The waitlist has not moved much in the last couple of years. I believe there were 3 and 5 accepted off the waitlist for 2009 and 2010 respectively. Harvard has said that the majority of crossadmits that they lose, are to Hopkins and Columbia. I get the feeling that most of the people who apply to Hopkins consider it a "first choice" and this may account for the little waitlist movement.

Every year is different, so those who are still waiting should not lose hope!

In previous years 30-50 ppl were accepted off the waitlist...just the last two cycles were a bit odd....

I am hoping they accept fewer ppl outright or the waitlist movement goes back to what it used to be...

waitlisted today via snail mail.... hoping for some movement this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.