2010-2011 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know when WL movement starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Got a voicemail from Dean Hicks. I was in a no-reception zone for a few hours, so I didn't get the voicemail until 12am Eastern time. Although I can't call her back right now, I'm thinking that this may be good news?

Interviewed 2/18

Got a voicemail from Dean Hicks. I was in a no-reception zone for a few hours, so I didn't get the voicemail until 12am Eastern time. Although I can't call her back right now, I'm thinking that this may be good news?

Interviewed 2/18

dang, i wanted that call. but congrats good job, you're a beast

Members don't see this ad :)

Interviewed 2/18

Update: It is a confirmed acceptance :D Dean Hicks also told me that last night was their very last Committee meeting, so everyone still waiting should hear back very soon.

does anyone know when the housing forms have to be in for reed hall? thanks :)

has this really not been posted yet? (i apologize if it has)

[YOUTUBE]bGH2d1jBJu8[/YOUTUBE]

Typicall, how is the financial aid at Hopkins? A question for students and those who have already received their packages.

Typicall, how is the financial aid at Hopkins? A question for students and those who have already received their packages.
I hope to be able to answer this question by tomorrow. Patiently and anxiously waiting...

Just got waitlist notice this morning - interviewed Feb. 18. Not jumping for joy but haven't given up hope for this school. Anyone know what's going on with the waitlist? when does it start moving? (if it isn't already)

Just got waitlist notice this morning - interviewed Feb. 18. Not jumping for joy but haven't given up hope for this school. Anyone know what's going on with the waitlist? when does it start moving? (if it isn't already)

According to Dean Weiss, they don't really do much with the waitlist until early June (which is a little later than most of the other top tier schools which start movement around May 15th). I don't know precisely why they wait so long but I assume its because they want to know exactly who has left and deferred to determine how many spots they need to fill but before they set up the internal rankings of the waitlist. I get the impression that the 1) the adcom does not want to use the waitlist so they can say that they didn't need to access the waitlist and 2) the adcom wants to see if they need to specifically replace certain people who left from their accepted pool, such as a URM or a High MCAT/GPA or incredible research/clinical experience/community service person, depending on what they feel is a potential void in the incoming class.

Current student/Admissions Committee member, glad to answer some questions from people as they're making their decisions or thinking about applying next year.

It really varies from person to person. No general answer is going to help you. Even after you get your package, there is still a process of settling on your final package, so once you see your number, call the FinAid office, talk with them, get them to explain the numbers to you, etc. I've seen people be really happy and really disappointed with their package, it depends on your personal situation.

I get the impression that the 1) the adcom does not want to use the waitlist so they can say that they didn't need to access the waitlist and 2) the adcom wants to see if they need to specifically replace certain people who left from their accepted pool, such as a URM or a High MCAT/GPA or incredible research/clinical experience/community service person, depending on what they feel is a potential void in the incoming class.

I think both your points are incorrect (sorry, don't mean to be rude). In general I think you guys overthink this, and think that things are much more intricate and devious on our end than they are. Our main (and really only) concern with the waitlist is to not overfill the class.
As for that second part, it's suprisingly hard to categorize applicants as "research guy" or "community service guy" or whatever. We don't really concern ourselves with having an appropriate balance of each type of background. Honestly, our applicants are so great that almost any subset of them we pick will do well at the school. Being generally friendly, accomplished, and smart are much more likely to get you off the waitlist than being a similar applicant type to the person you're replacing.

Last edited:
Current student/Admissions Committee member, glad to answer some questions from people as they're making their decisions or thinking about applying next year.

It really varies from person to person. No general answer is going to help you. Even after you get your package, there is still a process of settling on your final package, so once you see your number, call the FinAid office, talk with them, get them to explain the numbers to you, etc. I've seen people be really happy and really disappointed with their package, it depends on your personal situation.

I think both your points are incorrect (sorry, don't mean to be rude). In general I think you guys overthink this, and think that things are much more intricate and devious on our end than they are. Our main (and really only) concern with the waitlist is to not overfill the class.
As for that second part, it's suprisingly hard to categorize applicants as "research guy" or "community service guy" or whatever. We don't really concern ourselves with having an appropriate balance of each type of background. Honestly, our applicants are so great that almost any subset of them we pick will do well at the school. Being generally friendly, accomplished, and smart are much more likely to get you off the waitlist than being a similar applicant type to the person you're replacing.

haha I laughed at this.. as this application season progressed my mental image of adcoms went from a group of regular people sitting in an office to a group of shadowy figures shrouded in their robes and cloaks sitting in a dungeon cackling as they read my application by torch light before setting it on fire :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
haha I laughed at this.. as this application season progressed my mental image of adcoms went from a group of regular people sitting in an office to a group of shadowy figures shrouded in their robes and cloaks sitting in a dungeon cackling as they read my application by torch light before setting it on fire :laugh:

Yes, yes, I was the shadowy figure lurking in the dark with the torch... lol....I agree 100% with what my comrad stated above, we don't try to replace students with similar students... to be honest, the difference between many/most of our waitlisted students and outright accepted students is very, very small... there are an incredibly large amount of extraordinary students, and it is actually very difficult to choose only 200 or so for admission... this is why the interview day is so important, it really can push you to the top of the pack!

As I've stated before regarding waitlisted students, if you feel that Hopkins is your number one choice and, if pulled from the waitlist, you would matriculate regardless of financial aid package, then I would express this to the appropriate individuals. I do believe we will pull more students from the high priority list this year, and if this is done, they are more inclined to take students that they feel will actually come! That's the best advice I can give you!

Yes, yes, I was the shadowy figure lurking in the dark with the torch... lol....I agree 100% with what my comrad stated above, we don't try to replace students with similar students... to be honest, the difference between many/most of our waitlisted students and outright accepted students is very, very small... there are an incredibly large amount of extraordinary students, and it is actually very difficult to choose only 200 or so for admission... this is why the interview day is so important, it really can push you to the top of the pack!

As I've stated before regarding waitlisted students, if you feel that Hopkins is your number one choice and, if pulled from the waitlist, you would matriculate regardless of financial aid package, then I would express this to the appropriate individuals. I do believe we will pull more students from the high priority list this year, and if this is done, they are more inclined to take students that they feel will actually come! That's the best advice I can give you!

is it better to send a letter to my interviewer or to the admission committee in general?

is it better to send a letter to my interviewer or to the admission committee in general?

If you choose to send a letter, I would say the Dean of Admissions, Asst Dean of Admissions, and Director of Admissions are the best folks to notify of your serious, sustained interest in the school! Your interviewer is unlikely to be of significant help at this juncture (unless, of course, your interviewer was one of the three individuals mentioned above)

I am having a hard time choosing between a couple of schools. I was dead set on Hopkins for months, and now after Penn Preview I am not so sure anymore. I was talking to several people (around 8 maybe?) who are in the same situation and it seems they are leaning now towards Penn or Harvard. I would like to hear about some of you in the same (unbelievable!) situation. I loved Hopkins and had more "fun" there doing Second Look, but I got the "gut feeling" at Penn and felt really happy. Mind you, I almost did not go to Penn Preview cause I was so decided already!

What about the place is really touching you now? Thanks!

I am having a hard time choosing between a couple of schools. I was dead set on Hopkins for months, and now after Penn Preview I am not so sure anymore. I was talking to several people (around 8 maybe?) who are in the same situation and it seems they are leaning now towards Penn or Harvard. I would like to hear about some of you in the same (unbelievable!) situation. I loved Hopkins and had more "fun" there doing Second Look, but I got the "gut feeling" at Penn and felt really happy. Mind you, I almost did not go to Penn Preview cause I was so decided already!

My sense is that most people who turn down Hopkins are basically concerned about location. Baltimore is not New York or Boston or California. There has also been a lot of concern about crime, and there have been a few high-profile incidents in the past year that make people worried about the Hopkins neighborhood. I've also spoken to a few people who are worried that Hopkins is going down in the rankings, but I think that's ridiculous.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference and where you would be happy for four years. You really can't go wrong with any of the top schools.

My sense is that most people who turn down Hopkins are basically concerned about location. Baltimore is not New York or Boston or California. There has also been a lot of concern about crime, and there have been a few high-profile incidents in the past year that make people worried about the Hopkins neighborhood. I've also spoken to a few people who are worried that Hopkins is going down in the rankings, but I think that's ridiculous.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference and where you would be happy for four years. You really can't go wrong with any of the top schools.

Compared to Boston (Harvard), Baltimore wouldn't win out in location, but I think after a few months Philly is probably no better than Baltimore. As for safety, everyone who I talked to when i interviewed at Hopkins said that it's really not that bad.

Compared to Boston (Harvard), Baltimore wouldn't win out in location, but I think after a few months Philly is probably no better than Baltimore. As for safety, everyone who I talked to when i interviewed at Hopkins said that it's really not that bad.

Haha, that's what we were told at my interview too - repeatedly. It's like an alcoholic continually denying he has a drinking problem. :laugh:

When it came down to choosing schools, what sealed the deal for me was the people I had met at revisit. You will get a great education at any of the top schools. You will also spend time in labs, lectures, small groups, etc during your first two years anywhere you go. The 100-150 people in your class, however, are the same people with whom you will be spending the next four years day in and day out; you're going to study with these people, party with them, and hit the wards with them.

When it came down to choosing schools, what sealed the deal for me was the people I had met at revisit You will get a great education at any of the top schools. You will also spend time in labs, lectures, small groups, etc during your first two years anywhere you go. The 100-150 people in your class, however, are the same people with whom you will be spending the next four years day in and day out; you're going to study with these people, party with them, and hit the wards with them.

I know, and that is part of the problem. Most of those people are choosing Harvard and Penn after their visits there. I may have to go with that "gut" feeling, hopefully in next couple of days.

Tough question to answer in writing on a message board. Would take more time than I have. That's something you get a glimpse of by spending a few days in Baltimore, talking to the docs and students, and ideally by even meeting a patient or two. Revisit is too short to get a true feel, so you just kind of have to go with your gut. And honestly, you can't go wrong, no one's going to regret going to Hopkins, Harvard, or Penn in the long run.

Baltimore's not for everyone, but it's the reason I came to Hopkins. Best patients in the world. Best clinicians in the world. If you're uncomfortable with the city, or poverty, or working with undeserved populations, absolutely not the place for you. And don't let anyone guilt you into thinking you have to have to work with the undeserved. Everyone has their own passion that drives them. But there's no place quite like Hopkins. And it wouldn't be the same if it wasn't in Baltimore.

Last edited:
Tough question to answer in writing on a message board. Would take more time than I have. That's something you get a glimpse of by spending a few days in Baltimore, talking to the docs and students, and ideally by even meeting a patient or two. Revisit is too short to get a true feel, so you just kind of have to go with your gut. And honestly, you can't go wrong, no one's going to regret going to Hopkins, Harvard, or Penn in the long run.

Baltimore's not for everyone, but it's the reason I came to Hopkins. Best patients in the world. Best clinicians in the world. If you're uncomfortable with the city, or poverty, or working with undeserved populations, absolutely not the place for you. And don't let anyone guilt you into thinking you have to have to work with the undeserved. Everyone has their own passion that drives them. But there's no place quite like Hopkins. And it wouldn't be the same if it wasn't in Baltimore.

:thumbup:

Baltimore also gets a bad rep.. its not the greatest of cities but it IS a city and does have very nice areas ( Mount Vernon , Federal Hill, Canton, or Fells Point) and has its city pride with the Orioles and Ravens.. You don't seem to hear as much about how dangerous a school like WashU is, but St. Louis is ranked the most crime ridden city in America at the moment.

Baltimore also gets a bad rep.. its not the greatest of cities but it IS a city and does have very nice areas ( Mount Vernon , Federal Hill, Canton, or Fells Point) and has its city pride with the Orioles and Ravens.. You don't seem to hear as much about how dangerous a school like WashU is, but St. Louis is ranked the most crime ridden city in America at the moment.

That's because WashU is located in the Central West End, which is a particularly nice part of St. Louis filled with upscale restaurants and other attractions (e.g., a really nice movie theater). It is pretty far removed from the parts of St. Louis you are referring to (like get on the highway to get there removed). By this logic, one should look at city wide crime rates in New York and Chicago when considering attending Cornell and Northwestern.

I don't have a vested interest in either of these schools (I will be living in the wonderfully safe and pristine city of New Haven next year), but I think it bears mention that this isn't the best analogy. From what I understand, there is an incidence of crime worth thinking about in the immediate area surrounding the Johns Hopkins medical school campus.

I don't have a vested interest in either of these schools (I will be living in the wonderfully safe and pristine city of New Haven next year), but I think it bears mention that this isn't the best analogy. From what I understand, there is an incidence of crime worth thinking about in the immediate area surrounding the Johns Hopkins medical school campus.

I always enjoy some good sarcasm. But actually, I intentionally walked alone during the day in the immediate area surrounding Hopkins, and I felt less threatened than during my frequent visits to the wonderfully safe and pristine city of New Haven, the relaxed and sophisticated atmosphere of Washington Heights around Columbia and the peaceful and clean surroundings of Hyde Park in Chicago.

The Hopkins campus is extremely safe and the surrounding neighborhoods are very clean and well maintained. I think the problem is the feeling of isolation that one gets because the medical school stands alone over there. But then again, why would medical students have to live right across from the school? You may just choose to live off campus.

The Hopkins campus is extremely safe and the surrounding neighborhoods are very clean and well maintained. I think the problem is the feeling of isolation that one gets because the medical school stands alone over there. But then again, why would medical students have to live right across from the school? You may just choose to live off campus.

Uhh, I think you were still on campus at that time. The Hopkins medical campus is surrounded on all four sides by unmistakeable ghetto, while the undergraduate campus is surrounded on three sides by ghetto (the area north of the undergrad campus is a very affluent area).

But you're right, most students live off-campus after their first year.

Uhh, I think you were still on campus at that time. The Hopkins medical campus is surrounded on all four sides by unmistakeable ghetto, while the undergraduate campus is surrounded on three sides by ghetto (the area north of the undergrad campus is a very affluent area).

But you're right, most students live off-campus after their first year.

I guess by ghetto you mean the housing projects, and I did walk thru them. (not the campus). The Baltimore Housing Authority is doing a very good job in the area. I walked all the way from Inner Harbor to Hopkins taking E Fayette and went back taking Orleans St. Again, I have seen lots worse in New Haven, Washington Heights and Hyde Park. Of course, I would not walk around that area at nite, but the campus is very safe, especially with security located in every block.

I do believe we will pull more students from the high priority list this year, and if this is done, they are more inclined to take students that they feel will actually come!

Is there any way to know whether you're on this list or not?

I think he's talking about the waitlist itself, not a high priority list within the waitlist.

I was wondering if there was any way of knowing one's rank on the waitlist, whether they fall into the high priority group or not

I was wondering if there was any way of knowing one's rank on the waitlist, whether they fall into the high priority group or not

The high-priority group is just a euphemism for the waitlist. Waitlists themselves are generally not ranked. If you want to know your chances of getting in off the waitlist, well there are 200 people on the waitlist and in the past 2 years less than 5 were taken off, so....

If I read this correctly, I don't think you were asking this question to those of us currently attending Hopkins, or to students not considering it, but rather to similar students in your situation who are deciding between Hopkins and its peer institutions. To that end, I won't give my opinion here, but would be happy to discuss it with you via phone or PM.

winamp said:
By this logic, one should look at city wide crime rates in New York and Chicago when considering attending Cornell and Northwestern.
you say that like its unreasonable... unless someone plans on spending their entire four years within the cozy ivory towers of that institution, then yeah, it would be a good idea to look at those numbers to know where they should or shouldn't be at 1:30am...

winamp said:
From what I understand, there is an incidence of crime worth thinking about in the immediate area surrounding the Johns Hopkins medical school campus.
and what incidence are you speaking about? Are you saying that there is a high incidence of crime nearby or are you speaking about a particular incident? If you are speaking about specific incidents such as the unfortunate incident that happened to the lab tech that occurred, not walking distance, but miles away from the medical campus or the incident that involved a patient's family member that did not live in the city ( or state for that matter) but was visiting the institution, then I would say those are random incidents that are definitely not indicative of everyday life at Hopkins?

I mean by that logic, I should base my opinion about that institution up in New Haven by the unfortunate situation that happened to an actual student while on campus, while in their own lab... nonsense. That one situation does not represent the day to day safety at Yale any more than these incidents I mentioned represent the day to day safety at Hopkins.

And furthermore, the areas that brainbuff walked through , fayette to the inner Harbor... umm, if he was cool with that, then he'll definitely be cool with Baltimore in general.

I wasn't going to respond to most of these comments, but it sometimes makes me chuckle that most of the inaccurate information that is spread about Hopkins (environment is cut throat, you'll get stabbed walking to school) is usually propagated by people who have never attended a single class at the institution. Don't assume you know Hopkins or Baltimore for that matter because you watched "The Corner" or "The Wire" on television... or you heard from a friend, who knew someone who said their brother's girlfriend's dog's caretaker's doctor knew someone that told them something about Hopkins. Baltimore is in a real city with real city problems. As My colleague mentioned, Hopkins' location in Baltimore has played a large role in its success. The fates of the institution and city are inseperable.

beyonce said:
the term "high priority list" is indeed a euphemism for waitlist... regarding the waitlist, you wont find out your rank, but your best chances of getting into the institution off of the waitlist would be to do what I suggested in my previous post (regardless of what anyone else tells you). For this year in particular, I believe that would serve you well, despite what happened over the past two years. Sorry I can't tell you any more than that but I hope that helps.... hit me up via PM if you want to talk more!

Last edited:
you say that like its unreasonable... unless someone plans on spending their entire four years within the cozy ivory towers of that institution, then yeah, it would be a good idea to look at those numbers to know where they should or shouldn't be at 1:30am...

and what incidence are you speaking about? Are you saying that there is a high incidence of crime nearby or are you speaking about a particular incident? If you are speaking about specific incidents such as the unfortunate incident that happened to the lab tech that occurred, not walking distance, but miles away from the medical campus or the incident that involved a patient's family member that did not live in the city ( or state for that matter) but was visiting the institution, then I would say those are random incidents that are definitely not indicative of everyday life at Hopkins?

I mean by that logic, I should base my opinion about that institution up in New Haven by the unfortunate situation that happened to an actual student while on campus, while in their own lab... nonsense. That one situation does not represent the day to day safety at Yale any more than these incidents I mentioned represent the day to day safety at Hopkins.

I wasn't going to respond to most of these comments, but it sometimes makes me chuckle that most of the inaccurate information that is spread about Hopkins (environment is cut throat, you'll get stabbed walking to school) is usually propagated by people who have never attended a single class at the institution. Don't assume you know Hopkins or Baltimore for that matter because you watched "The Corner" or "The Wire" on television... or you heard from a friend, who knew someone who said their brother's girlfriend's dog's caretaker's doctor knew someone that told them something about Hopkins. Baltimore is in a real city with real city problems. As My colleague mentioned, Hopkins' location in Baltimore has played a large role in its success. The fates of the institution and city are inseperable.

Yeah, your condescending tone aside, my statement was grounded in the following lines of reason:

1) The isolated incidents you mentioned
2) Talking with Hopkins students during my interview day/another unofficial visit with a current Hopkins M2
3) Being from the area and growing up hearing/reading about some of the challenges facing the city (which I did not live in) regarding personal safety

I don't have any desire to get into an internet cat fight with you and I don't believe I portrayed Hopkins as "The Wire: Medical School Edition." I just said it was "worth considering," which I am sure many prospective students do.

And with respect to the Cornell/Northwestern thing, I also did not imply that medical students never leave the confines of Mag Mile and Manhattan. Having placed emphasis on the "everyday life" aspect of medical school, you surely understand that the personal safety aspect of "everyday life" for students who live/work/study in those areas is not accurately reflected by city-wide statistics on crime.

In conclusion, don't extrapolate artificial meaning out of other people's comments on an internet forum which is intended to facilitate the respectful and constructive flow of information between people in/aspiring to be in the field of medicine. If I wanted to see someone attack a straw man, I would read some Malcolm Gladwell.

I always enjoy some good sarcasm. But actually, I intentionally walked alone during the day in the immediate area surrounding Hopkins, and I felt less threatened than during my frequent visits to the wonderfully safe and pristine city of New Haven, the relaxed and sophisticated atmosphere of Washington Heights around Columbia and the peaceful and clean surroundings of Hyde Park in Chicago.

Brainbuff, in regards to staying on campus, indeed many/most students live on campus first year, and in years past, they have moved off campus soon thereafter, but much of that has to do with Reed hall (of which I was not a fan) However, I'm not sure if you were given the brochure for 929 during your interview, but if not here's some info

http://www.studenthousingbusiness.c...eaking-929-johns-hopkins-student-housing.html

I anticipate more and more students living on campus after first year given the new apartment-style housing.

In regards to student safety on campus, I think you will get a range of responses even from students that attend Hopkins based on their personal experience, or the experience of their close associates. I don't think its fair for me, or anyone else for that matter, to make generalizations based on conversations with a select group of students. My general feelings regarding the attitude of students towards safety is based on conversations with hundreds of students over the last decade, but even that is anecdotal and not based on hard data (in the form of an exit survey at graduation perhaps). To that end, I can tell you that there are current efforts aimed at getting a realistic overview of students perspective of safety on campus. And while we have no delusions that this will somehow magically replace everyone's anxiety about Baltimore, it will give us concrete data to share with applicants and perspective students about safety concerns on campus from students' perspective.

In regards to which school, as mentioned earlier, keep discussing it with the friends you made at revisit weekends, and go with your gut... there is no bad decision to be made here... Good luck!

Hey my name is Allie. I'm 22 and am going be starting as a first year med student at Hopkins in the fall. I'm looking for roommates that want to live off-campus in a safe apartment building... I am currently looking in the Fells Point area. PM me if you are interested :)

Hi Brainbuff! Obviously this is my first post so I'm not an avid user. I'm matriculating to Hopkins next year and was really unsettled when I came by the thread and realized that NO ONE had answered your questions about why they chose to come to Hopkins. I'm sad that we didn't get to meet at revisit, but am hoping that this message will catch you in time. Like you, I am (or was at this point) choosing from many top programs. I guess I will just go through my thought process and how I know that Hopkins is right for me (I too went through the dread and the drudge of agonizing over this decision, but I couldn't be happier now).
In regards to overall feel, I felt THE MOST inspired just being on the Hopkins campus. It made me feel like whatever I wanted to accomplish, I could. Students and professors alike said this to me in regards to my many questions. I think that this, above all else, was what finally swayed me to choose Hopkins. It sounds like you got the same impression, so I don't want you to discount that! It's funny because I went with negative impressions based on the feel of the interview day, but really felt that I could fully meet my potential here.
I have spoken with MANY MANY doctors and health professionals in regards to my decision. Everyone from head of plastic surgery at my (highly regarded) home institution to my own family practitioner told me that I should go to Hopkins. Funny little side story: when I was interviewing at another school, after looking at my credentials my interviewer told me that he would put in the good word for me to go to X school, but he really felt like I belonged at Hopkins (I hadn't even gotten an interview invite at this point). He told me that he was a Hopkins alumn, that knowing other alumn helped get him his job in academia, and that it was an experience he would never forget. He felt so blessed to have been part of such a long tradition of medicine.
I think that one day you might look back and regret your decision, as it seems (and please don't get offended) that you're being swayed by other people you know. I chose not to talk to many of my friends for this reason.
I will wrap this up soon, but one other reason I chose Hopkins is because it is stellar in every aspect. For example, I'm an engineer and want to incorporate med device design/development someday and Hopkins has the #1 bioengineering program. If I was interested in public health, it's #1 in that as well. I think that though you can be fine in any top 20 program and get to where you want to go, but being a part of such a huge tradition of top notch research, public health, engineering, and especially clinical care is something that I could not pass up. Once again this is just my opinion, but it seems like you asked questions about how people chose, and no one gave you answers. I was so inspired at Hopkins and it sounds like you were as well. Hope this helps and you are totally open to PMing me (even though I have almost no clue how that works). I felt that at Hopkins I could really make a significant impact on medicine and have the support to do it.

Hi Brainbuff! Obviously this is my first post so I'm not an avid user. I'm matriculating to Hopkins next year and was really unsettled when I came by the thread and realized that NO ONE had answered your questions about why they chose to come to Hopkins. I'm sad that we didn't get to meet at revisit, but am hoping that this message will catch you in time. Like you, I am (or was at this point) choosing from many top programs. I guess I will just go through my thought process and how I know that Hopkins is right for me (I too went through the dread and the drudge of agonizing over this decision, but I couldn't be happier now).
In regards to overall feel, I felt THE MOST inspired just being on the Hopkins campus. It made me feel like whatever I wanted to accomplish, I could. Students and professors alike said this to me in regards to my many questions. I think that this, above all else, was what finally swayed me to choose Hopkins. It sounds like you got the same impression, so I don't want you to discount that! It's funny because I went with negative impressions based on the feel of the interview day, but really felt that I could fully meet my potential here.
I have spoken with MANY MANY doctors and health professionals in regards to my decision. Everyone from head of plastic surgery at my (highly regarded) home institution to my own family practitioner told me that I should go to Hopkins. Funny little side story: when I was interviewing at another school, after looking at my credentials my interviewer told me that he would put in the good word for me to go to X school, but he really felt like I belonged at Hopkins (I hadn't even gotten an interview invite at this point). He told me that he was a Hopkins alumn, that knowing other alumn helped get him his job in academia, and that it was an experience he would never forget. He felt so blessed to have been part of such a long tradition of medicine.
I think that one day you might look back and regret your decision, as it seems (and please don't get offended) that you're being swayed by other people you know. I chose not to talk to many of my friends for this reason.
I will wrap this up soon, but one other reason I chose Hopkins is because it is stellar in every aspect. For example, I'm an engineer and want to incorporate med device design/development someday and Hopkins has the #1 bioengineering program. If I was interested in public health, it's #1 in that as well. I think that though you can be fine in any top 20 program and get to where you want to go, but being a part of such a huge tradition of top notch research, public health, engineering, and especially clinical care is something that I could not pass up. Once again this is just my opinion, but it seems like you asked questions about how people chose, and no one gave you answers. I was so inspired at Hopkins and it sounds like you were as well. Hope this helps and you are totally open to PMing me (even though I have almost no clue how that works). I felt that at Hopkins I could really make a significant impact on medicine and have the support to do it.

Thank you for articulating what I didn't know how to say. I guess I didn't reply to BrainBuff's earlier message because Hopkins was my #1 going into the process, I didn't get to go to SecondLook, and the choice for me wasn't between Hopkins/Penn. So I have no idea who anyone in the class is at the moment unfortunately! I'm sure all my future classmates are amazing people (well i hope so, haha), but I will have to wait until orientation to meet them.

I love Hopkins because I always felt like they believed in me. I have a more "scattered" application, in that I def don't have the best numbers-actually, I'm pretty sure they're more average or even slightly below. They somehow managed to overlook that and focused on all the other things I did in college. When I was on campus for my interview, I just felt like all the 4th years interviewing us were so accomplished in whatever made them 'tick' and that the faculty of course were just awe-inspiring. They do everything there, from public health, research, music, working with underserved communities (hello Baltimore!) and they're all so good at what they do. I'm going to HOpkins because I think that this is the school that best clicks with me. Even though I'm not entirely sure what I want to do as a specialty or even if I want to do clinical/academic medicine, I feel like Hopkins will open all of these doors for me.

Last edited:
I just got the call off the WL... I had almost written this school off and I can't believe it..

Last edited:
Also just got off the waitlist! Not sure what to do :eek:

shoot me a PM and I'll send you my number... I'd be happy to talk to you more about the school from my perspective if you'd like!

Accepted today too at 11AM PST! I'm still in disbelief that I don't know what to do with myself :eek: ..have this urge to call Dean Hicks back just to make sure I didn't hallucinate the whole convo..

Would like to extend the same offer to the waitlisters, shoot me a PM or post a question if you need help deciding. Congrats again.

Uh....Accept?

Accepted today too at 11AM PST! I'm still in disbelief that I don't know what to do with myself :eek: ..have this urge to call Dean Hicks back just to make sure I didn't hallucinate the whole convo..

I just got the call off the WL... I had almost written this school off and I can't believe it.. I feel like i don't even deserve it or that I'm unqualified for this.. its really unbelievable

Also just got off the waitlist! Not sure what to do :eek:

woooo congrats guys! hope to see you in Baltimore this August

got off the wait list!!!!!!
praise God

i loooooooooooooove hopkins as an institution
hvnt got my aid from hopkins yet, but i hv bn told they wont b able to beat the full tuition and fees from pritzker for 4 years... and having less debt means a lot to me...ugh, don't know what to do. :(

anyone choose b/t the two? information on some things that stood out to you?:confused:

got off the wait list!!!!!!
praise God

i loooooooooooooove hopkins as an institution
hvnt got my aid from hopkins yet, but i hv bn told they wont b able to beat the full tuition and fees from pritzker for 4 years... and having less debt means a lot to me...ugh, don't know what to do. :(

anyone choose b/t the two? information on some things that stood out to you?:confused:

All I know is, Hopkins doesn't give out any merit scholarships and Chicago is cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.