2010-2011 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I met someone at an interview at a different school that was talking about his interview at Hopkins. He said that Hopkins admissions told him that last year only 2 people who were accepted at Hopkins went somewhere else, meaning they only accepted 2 people over the size of their class. I don't know if this is the truth or if he misunderstood what they told him, but this is what I heard.

What they meant is that only a few people were taken off the waitlist. The numbers quoted above are correct: about 1.5-2x as many people are accepted as matriculate, and in the past few years there has been very little waitlist movement. But that stuff changes all the time, and you never know what'll happen this year.
 
They basically told us at our interview day that they accept anywhere from 200-220 students to fill a class of 120 and that last year only 3 people were moved off of the waiting list...

That's what I heard when I interviewed too. It was interesting that the last one of the students to move off the wait list did so very, very late. I think this happened because someone who had a deferred matriculation decided to defer it again or withdraw at the 11th hour. It sounded like by the time this happened, most people who had been on the wait list had substantially committed to other schools (registered for classes, etc.).

By the way, I was highly impressed by how considerate and interesting both the Hopkins students and fellow interviewees were. It seemed like a great community.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's what I heard when I interviewed too. It was interesting that the last one of the students to move off the wait list did so very, very late. I think this happened because someone who had a deferred matriculation decided to defer it again or withdraw at the 11th hour. It sounded like by the time this happened, most people who had been on the wait list had substantially committed to other schools (registered for classes, etc.).

By the way, I was highly impressed by how considerate and interesting both the Hopkins students and fellow interviewees were. It seemed like a great community.

I totally agree with the second comment
 
What they meant is that only a few people were taken off the waitlist. The numbers quoted above are correct: about 1.5-2x as many people are accepted as matriculate, and in the past few years there has been very little waitlist movement. But that stuff changes all the time, and you never know what'll happen this year.

Ok, that is good to know. It didn't sound reasonable. If I ever run into that guy who told me that I will tell him how wrong he was.
 
hey there...I submitted on 8/20 but I have yet to receive a complete email. Should I be concerned?
I dont think so they take a while. i think this is the peak and it might take more time but you will get at least a complete if nothing more so look out for the complete email
 
Submitted secondary email: 8/14
Receipt of secondary email: 8/31
Complete application email: 9/30
Interview email: TBD :xf:
 
Whoa....invite at 8pm on a Friday night. Totally unexpected since I feel like I go through the usual pre-med email-checking excitement stages of weekday 9am-5pm adrenaline rush followed by settling down, with an extra degree of forgetting about med-school stuff-ness on Friday evenings. So glad someone decided to stay late at the office and make me happy =)
 
Whoa....invite at 8pm on a Friday night. Totally unexpected since I feel like I go through the usual pre-med email-checking excitement stages of weekday 9am-5pm adrenaline rush followed by settling down, with an extra degree of forgetting about med-school stuff-ness on Friday evenings. So glad someone decided to stay late at the office and make me happy =)


dude! me too! im so excited
 
Congrats! It doesn't get much better than Hopkins!

When was your secondary in? What interview dates are still available?

Not sure if this is true for everyone, but I didn't get a choice of dates; the e-mail simply assigned me one. I got invited last week and was given a 10/29 date. I rescheduled for the following week. Interviews are only done Thursdays and Fridays.
 
Not sure if this is true for everyone, but I didn't get a choice of dates; the e-mail simply assigned me one. I got invited last week and was given a 10/29 date. I rescheduled for the following week. Interviews are only done Thursdays and Fridays.

I also was assigned one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same-and also have to reschedule it =/

Edit: Letters got in (last part of my app) around early August, complete email at the very beginning of Sept. Invited for Nov. 12, but rescheduling.
 
can someone tell me how long it takes to become complete?

i submitted the secondary early july - and my mcat scores were out sept 9 - I'm kind of worried - I haven't gotten the complete email from bunch of schools - should I email them? Any help appreciated!!!
 
can someone tell me how long it takes to become complete?

i submitted the secondary early july - and my mcat scores were out sept 9 - I'm kind of worried - I haven't gotten the complete email from bunch of schools - should I email them? Any help appreciated!!!

I submitted my secondary on 7/22, my LORs were transmitted on 8/4, and I was marked complete on 8/18 if that helps you at all.

I'd e-mail them since it's been almost a month, but who knows.
 
I submitted my secondary on 7/22, my LORs were transmitted on 8/4, and I was marked complete on 8/18 if that helps you at all.

I'd e-mail them since it's been almost a month, but who knows.


Mine took 7 weeks to be marked complete after I submitted everything.
 
Has anyone asked when they are meeting for specific interview days? Seems like they told applicants last year.
 
Hey, I interviewed a few days ago, and was wondering if hopkins sends out its first round of acceptances right on the 15th. if I interviewed on the 7th, do you think that gives them enough time to turn around a decision by oct 15?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hopkins is rolling and the admissions committee meets periodically during the interview season. Decisions are made on those days and acceptance phone calls are usually made that day.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think rejection emails all go out in the spring.
 
Looking at last year's thread, it seems that they will notify you by mail if you are rejected or waitlisted, and will call if you are accepted.
 
Looking at last year's thread, it seems that they will notify you by mail if you are rejected or waitlisted, and will call if you are accepted.

Even though theyre rolling, some schools start accepting later, like november--is Hopkins one of these schools or will they start calling on the 15th?
 
Hey, I interviewed a few days ago, and was wondering if hopkins sends out its first round of acceptances right on the 15th. if I interviewed on the 7th, do you think that gives them enough time to turn around a decision by oct 15?

I doubt it. I believe last year they began notifying last few days of October and beginning of november. Let's see how it goes this year..:luck:
 
Hi everyone,

Does Hopkins send secondary applications to everyone? And were there any essays?

Thanks
 
To those of you who have stayed in Reed: Was internet access available (wi-fi or wired) for guests?
 
I'm doing my Hopkins secondary late.

1) Briefly Describe your most rewarding Experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud. (900 character limit)

2) If applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority. (1100 character limit)

Both of these prompts lead me to think of one particular (very significant) experience... I'm having trouble deciding whether to

1) Write a really good response about it for #1, leave #2 blank since it has an "if applicable"

2) Try and write about the same experience from different angles for each of the prompts

3) Write about this experience for #2, use something else for #1 -- but unfortunately, it'll be a much much weaker "something else"

Any thoughts? I'm so burned out when it comes to secondaries.
 
If you can explain the situation meaningfully from two perspectives, I'd go with #2. Otherwise, I'd go with #3.

I wouldn't take that "if applicable" thing seriously. If you can't come up with a situation where you're not in the majority, I'd say that's some pretty lacking life experience.
 
Even though theyre rolling, some schools start accepting later, like november--is Hopkins one of these schools or will they start calling on the 15th?

According to the Hopkins students, for those who interviewed early and were accepted, they called at like 7:00pm on the 15th. They send out all of the notifications (acceptance, waitlist, rejection) for the early interviewers by snail mail about the same time. So if we get letters early next week that came sans-telephone call, we should be nervous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to the Hopkins students, for those who interviewed early and were accepted, they called at like 7:00pm on the 15th. They send out all of the notifications (acceptance, waitlist, rejection) for the early interviewers by snail mail about the same time. So if we get letters early next week that came sans-telephone call, we should be nervous.

I just hope 10/7 is "early" enough to potentially hear back today
 
I just hope 10/7 is "early" enough to potentially hear back today

Don't think so. I interviewed early October and was told the committee would meet late October for my interview date. You can call and ask when your specific committee meeting is.
 
Did anyone else submit their application in July and receive nothing (no complete e-mail) from Hopkins? All of my materials are in, but Hopkins has been completely silent.

Thanks!
 
I was complete 8/31. From what I've read, a complete email indicates that they've reviewed my app at that time. Is that correct?

I called in to the office and they said my app had been reviewed but the committee didn't make a decision yet. I'm a little worried that it's been 6 weeks with no response after review. Has anyone who was complete for a long time been given an interview invite? I wonder how often they consider reviewed apps for interviews if they've been put to the side after initial review.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.