2010-2011 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh, and as an aside, the Baltimore police really could care less about crime. After my place was vandalized, one officer came after four hours, asked if my place looked different before it was vandalized, then left without doing anything. The police department sent me a letter a month later saying because I ignored their frequent attempts to contact me (I never got a letter, phone call, or e-mail, although I contacted them multiple times) they considered the case closed.

My friend had his car broken into, the cops came, acted annoyed he called them, and refused to file a report since they weren't going to catch the guy anyway.

So yea...
 
Oh, and as an aside, the Baltimore police really could care less about crime. After my place was vandalized, one officer came after four hours, asked if my place looked different before it was vandalized, then left without doing anything. The police department sent me a letter a month later saying because I ignored their frequent attempts to contact me (I never got a letter, phone call, or e-mail, although I contacted them multiple times) they considered the case closed.

My friend had his car broken into, the cops came, acted annoyed he called them, and refused to file a report since they weren't going to catch the guy anyway.

So yea...

I'm really sorry about the way you were treated and I hope you're never in a similar situation again. I know crime happens everywhere, but it does seem to happen more frequently here (according to other SDNers). I doubt I will get accepted here so I probably wont have to worry about it.

Anyway good luck to all interviewers. Let us know what you think of JHU and the surrounding area. Stay safe!!
 
Oh, and as an aside, the Baltimore police really could care less about crime. After my place was vandalized, one officer came after four hours, asked if my place looked different before it was vandalized, then left without doing anything. The police department sent me a letter a month later saying because I ignored their frequent attempts to contact me (I never got a letter, phone call, or e-mail, although I contacted them multiple times) they considered the case closed.

My friend had his car broken into, the cops came, acted annoyed he called them, and refused to file a report since they weren't going to catch the guy anyway.

So yea...

I was born and raised in L.A. and thought we had cop issues...*pshahw*! Bad cop, no donut! :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OMG I cant believe I just got an interview invite!! I'm sort of concerned, do I really have a legit chance of getting admitted with my stats: 4.0 GPA 35O (13PS 13BS 9V)? The 9 and O are what scares me...dont wanna get my hopes up too much
 
OMG I cant believe I just got an interview invite!! I'm sort of concerned, do I really have a legit chance of getting admitted with my stats: 4.0 GPA 35O (13PS 13BS 9V)? The 9 and O are what scares me...dont wanna get my hopes up too much

Are you serious? You have ridiculous stats, and if they gave you an interview, they clearly like what they see. I know people who go to Hopkins with a 32 MCAT and a lower GPA. Relax and enjoy the interview opportunity.
 
Thanks for the reassurance nyr56, Im just concerned about my low verbal and writing score, seems like those two scores are way below their average..
 
Thanks for the reassurance nyr56, Im just concerned about my low verbal and writing score, seems like those two scores are way below their average..

I mean the key question to ask is, were those people URM? I doubt that Asian applicants would be accepted with anything below a 35 and no less than 11 in each section. And your GPA would have to be >3.88, which is their median. Then, the rest of your profile would be considered (ECs, etc.)
 
Well first off, I don't think they really care about the writing score, as long as it's not a K or something. As for the verbal, it is within their 10-90%ile, which means you have a shot. Hejman brings up a good point about URMs with those averages, but realize that's only one number - your other numbers are fine.

BTW, the specific friend I was referring to is white (although to be fair, he went to JHU undergrad). I really don't think Hopkins is obsessed with numbers, but rather really likes excellent ECs. Anyway, you got the interview, which is a huge step, so you passed their number screening. Now just impress them when you interview and you'll be set.
 
I think it's time for me to cut down my list by one school. While I know this can happen anywhere, I don't really think I want to be in a place where I have to seriously worry about my safety all of the time.

I don't think anyone would shed a tear if you did that! yes this can happen anywhere, and the shooter was NOT even from Baltimore, or MD for that matter... he was from Virginia...

seriously kids, don't be dic*s or say things that could come and bite you in the *****... you never know who's watching these forums
 
I don't think anyone would shed a tear if you did that! yes this can happen anywhere, and the shooter was NOT even from Baltimore, or MD for that matter... he was from Virginia...

seriously kids, don't be dic*s or say things that could come and bite you in the *****... you never know who's watching these forums

Gunners gunna gun.
 
I don't think anyone would shed a tear if you did that! yes this can happen anywhere, and the shooter was NOT even from Baltimore, or MD for that matter... he was from Virginia...

seriously kids, don't be dic*s or say things that could come and bite you in the *****... you never know who's watching these forums
:uhno: member since 2002 and only 2 posts?!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:uhno: member since 2002 and only 2 posts?!

I have followed the forum over the years, but I never log in or post ... but I follow the Hopkins threads as a barometer of what folks are thinking regarding the institution... specifically problems encountered during the application process...

if you'd like to speak further, I'd be happy to converse with you via PM.
 
I'd prefer to learn medicine inside a safe, privileged bubble where dangerous poor people are kept away. In fact, I wish they allowed me to take medical classes online, so I could avoid any potential hazards awaiting me when I leave me house.
 
I'd prefer to learn medicine inside a safe, privileged bubble where dangerous poor people are kept away. In fact, I wish they allowed me to take medical classes online, so I could avoid any potential hazards awaiting me when I leave me house.

I know what you mean. I'm especially worried about dealing with sick people. A lot of them have dangerous diseases and stuff.
 
What's with all the comments bashing anyone who mentions the negatives of Baltimore? Location is a factor of what medical school is right for you; some like cities, some like rural areas. Every med school has advantages and disadvantages. In the case of Hopkins, they have MANY advantages but unfortunately have the disadvantage of being in a dangerous (not just poor) area. If that doesn't bother you, that's your decision. I decided it wasn't enough to deter me from attending Hopkins for undergrad but for some people, it might be a critical factor. This is a discussion forum for applicants to voice opinions and thoughts, we shouldn't be censored and afraid of what we are posting.
 
Yeah you're right, I'm just joking around. Homeboy didn't say anything other then not wanting to live and go to school in a dangerous area, which is fine. I've lived in bmore for the last 7 years and that area is rough, no joke.

I remember when my step mom was in the Hopkins ER, outside there was crack vials and pipes EVERYWHERE. I sat down in the waiting room and this really nice guy in a wheelchair was telling me about how he couldn't stop shooting up and drinking even though he had AIDS, pretty sad stuff. Next thing I know the Hopkins security was kicking homeless people out of the waiting room because they were pretending to be patients just to get out of the cold for a minute (it was freezing cold that day).

Bmore is a crazy place, but that's the exact reason this is an amazing place to learn medicine.
 
Anyone know someone at JH with a really low GPA, but got in because of being awesome at other stuff? I applied here for the heck of it, even with my 3.0 since I had a 36R MCAT and a solid leadership background.

I heard that JH has a history of looking at people that might not have the best grades, but made up for it in other areas and am hoping that's true. If not, oh well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my secondary 7/30, secondary received email on 8/25... still no complete email


It takes a long time...I submitted my secondary in late July, letters were uploaded to AMCAS in mid-August, and I received the complete email on 9/12. Congrats all with invites...hope to hear something soon!
 
does anyone know how many of those interviewed hopkins accepts as opposed to those that actually matriculate? Is it roughly the same number?
 
does anyone know how many of those interviewed hopkins accepts as opposed to those that actually matriculate? Is it roughly the same number?
Not an exact answer to your question, but I think I recall reading somewhere that they interview between 700-800 for 120 slots. I may have read that somewhere else for a different school though, can't remember for sure.
 
Hey all,
Has Hopkins started sending out rejections yet, too? Or only invites, so far?

I'm not positive, but I don't think the non-rolling schools formally send out rejections until much later in the cycle unless you're invited for an interview.

Edit: I'm a dummy, Hopkins is rolling.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems to be that most schools accept ~1.5-2x as many applicants as they expect to have in a class.

I met someone at an interview at a different school that was talking about his interview at Hopkins. He said that Hopkins admissions told him that last year only 2 people who were accepted at Hopkins went somewhere else, meaning they only accepted 2 people over the size of their class. I don't know if this is the truth or if he misunderstood what they told him, but this is what I heard.
 
I met someone at an interview at a different school that was talking about his interview at Hopkins. He said that Hopkins admissions told him that last year only 2 people who were accepted at Hopkins went somewhere else, meaning they only accepted 2 people over the size of their class. I don't know if this is the truth or if he misunderstood what they told him, but this is what I heard.

They basically told us at our interview day that they accept anywhere from 200-220 students to fill a class of 120 and that last year only 3 people were moved off of the waiting list...
 
I met someone at an interview at a different school that was talking about his interview at Hopkins. He said that Hopkins admissions told him that last year only 2 people who were accepted at Hopkins went somewhere else, meaning they only accepted 2 people over the size of their class. I don't know if this is the truth or if he misunderstood what they told him, but this is what I heard.
if those two people are from my undergrad then yes. I know at least two ppl who got accepted last year and did not go thhere so i think the person heard it wrong
 
Status
Not open for further replies.