2010-2011 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was accepted earlier this week and want to thank everyone in this thread for your help and encouragement! I look forward to meeting you fellow classmates and hope to meet those of you who (crossing my fingers for you) get accepted from the alternate list. Let me know if I can be of any help to you! Good luck and best wishes!

Members don't see this ad.

OOS Waitlisted and have responded no. I will be going to my state school, but loved mcg. People on the alt list, you have one less member!

Interviewed on January 26th and received the acceptance email on Wednesday! Good luck to those waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that just got accepted, today is Match day. that means in 4 years from today you will be matching into your residency!

fahimaz7, do you have a list or stats of this year's matches?

fahimaz7, do you have a list or stats of this year's matches?

Screenshot2011-03-19at104541AM.png

_
Screenshot2011-03-19at104559AM.png

_
Screenshot2011-03-19at104615AM.png

_
Screenshot2011-03-19at104629AM.png

_
Screenshot2011-03-19at104649AM.png

Last edited:
Thanks Fahimaz7. I think I speak on behalf of the entire MCG-related SDN followers when I say that you have been invaluable in terms of keeping us both informed and sane during this admissions cycle. Thanks for your continued help throughout.

Thanks Fahimaz7. I think I speak on behalf of the entire MCG-related SDN followers when I say that you have been invaluable in terms of keeping us both informed and sane during this admissions cycle. Thanks for your continued help throughout.

+1

also, it seems that MCG's match list keeps getting better and better as years go on. a lot more in derm and even a few in urology. all over the country, too. good stuff.

We matched 28% of students into primary care this year.... lol

I'm more impressed with the neurosurgery @ boston children's hospital (best in the country) and Radiology at Brigham and Woman's.. but yea.. crazy match year.

Fahimaz7 do you happen to know how many people interviewed this year and how many people get off the waitlist last year specifically since it was the first year with 230 seats? I think I read somewhere that ~ 70-100 people get in, but was that true last year also?

Fahimaz7 do you happen to know how many people interviewed this year and how many people get off the waitlist last year specifically since it was the first year with 230 seats? I think I read somewhere that ~ 70-100 people get in, but was that true last year also?

It varies, but that number should be close to being accurate. No idea how many are on it though. I would start preparing to reapply if you haven't heard anything by 5/20

Is everybody who interviewed waitlisted or accepted? Or are there people, who have interviewed, that have been rejected?

Thanks!

Is everybody who interviewed waitlisted or accepted? Or are there people, who have interviewed, that have been rejected?

Thanks!

I got straight up rejected post-interview last year while a friend (we both interviewed 1/20) got waitlisted. Don't know if they are still doing that this year, though. Luckily I got in...

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a few people who interviewed and were straight up rejected last week.

Thanks!

I know I am thankful for the waitlist...it could have been straight up rejection. Yeah, there were definitely people that were rejected.

I wish we could know where we were on the list, at least relatively like with some other schools ie. upper 1/3; mid 1/3; lower 1/3. I just feel like they really got stuck on not having enough shadowing with me... where does that put me on the alternate list? Especially since we aren't moved around?

I wish we could know where we were on the list, at least relatively like with some other schools ie. upper 1/3; mid 1/3; lower 1/3. I just feel like they really got stuck on not having enough shadowing with me... where does that put me on the alternate list? Especially since we aren't moved around?

It really is difficult that you are not made aware of your status. I feel you. Last year, I quit my job in expectation that I would get in from the waitlist (after not getting in the years before), but found out later that I was not accepted. Had I known my status (bottom 1/3, etc.), that decision might have been different.

Shadowing was mentioned to me to be very important. They told me that much of my shadowing experiences seemed somewhat dated last year, so I went out again this year and got some more experience... at MCG's request. It seemed to have worked; proof that I was serious about continuing my career in medicine. I'd give you the same advice even as you're hopefully waiting on the alternate list. Stay encouraged.

On another note, I sent in my deposit yesterday. Holding my spot until I decide what is best for the wife and I. When will they let me know about campus selection? Will I hear anything from MCG anytime soon?

It's something the they are constantly reviewing and reassessing. But honestly, if they told you that you were #68, would that really make a difference? Just do what they say, which is to go about your life as if you're not going to get in, and if you get in then you can drop everything and come to medical school.

Shadowing was mentioned to me to be very important. They told me that much of my shadowing experiences seemed somewhat dated last year, so I went out again this year and got some more experience... at MCG's request. It seemed to have worked; proof that I was serious about continuing my career in medicine. I'd give you the same advice even as you're hopefully waiting on the alternate list. Stay encouraged.

I was interviewed in Nov., put on hold in Feb., and got an acceptance e-mail on last Wednesday. Above all, I agree with bain. I too were told to get more shadowing experiences by MCG. I did more shadowing and kept them updated until the first week of March. Somewhat, I think MCG wants some decent shadowing experience, and I made sure that I write what I learned and felt during shadowing period on update note.

It's something the they are constantly reviewing and reassessing. But honestly, if they told you that you were #68, would that really make a difference? Just do what they say, which is to go about your life as if you're not going to get in, and if you get in then you can drop everything and come to medical school.

Since they are "constantly review and reassessing" the waitlist does that mean a person could potentially move around within the waitlist? What's people's opinions on sending a letter to a school at this point in the process? Does anyone think it would help at all?

What's people's opinions on sending a letter to a school at this point in the process? Does anyone think it would help at all?

I don't think it could hurt to send a letter expressing your interest and explaining why you'd be a good fit for the school. Especially if you haven't been accepted anywhere yet.

Since they are "constantly review and reassessing" the waitlist does that mean a person could potentially move around within the waitlist? What's people's opinions on sending a letter to a school at this point in the process? Does anyone think it would help at all?

I think the waitlist is set in stone. I could be wrong about that, but i'm quite sure that they rank you guys as the waitlist is sent out. If they did it any other way, they would have to meet every week and talk about people all over again, which would be a waste of time and quite unpredictable. It's much easier to just say, hey, we had 2 people pass on the acceptance, alert the next 2 people down the line....

Yeah, Fahimaz is right as far as I know. They rank it and set it... and just move down the line as openings appear.

A letter may not hurt, but in this case, it won't help either... other than to give piece of mind (which is huge, I understand).

I don't care how difficult medical school actually is. I don't care how hard you must study for tests and boards. All that I know is that I admire anyone who sticks out a waitlist as the emotions one experiences are so tangible, so up and down, and so overwhelming. Best of luck to all who wait... your character is being strengthened for the better.

Should I wait to call the admissions office to talk to them about my application after May or is it appropriate to call them now?

Do whatcha gotta do. There's no telling if you'll get off the waitlist, so I don't think that they will have any problem meeting with you.

I was interviewed in Nov., put on hold in Feb., and got an acceptance e-mail on last Wednesday. Above all, I agree with bain. I too were told to get more shadowing experiences by MCG. I did more shadowing and kept them updated until the first week of March. Somewhat, I think MCG wants some decent shadowing experience, and I made sure that I write what I learned and felt during shadowing period on update note.

That's exactly what happened to me, and I also shadowed more since my interview. In fact, I've added on almost 70 hours, and in each letter I talked about what I experienced and learned since the previous update, but I still received a waitlist. If you don't mind, would you mind letting me know your MCAT, science and overall gpa, number of shadowing hours, and if you sent out letters of rec from physicians?

Last edited:
Fahimaz or others... when do we find out where we'll be place? Everything I see/read says "before matriculation"... which is quite obvious. Is there a time frame?

If you don't mind, would you mind letting me know your MCAT, science and overall gpa, number of shadowing hours, and if you sent out letters of rec from physicians?

First of all, it was my third time applying to MCG. My score isn't great but made some improvement in VR. 29P was my best score. Overall GPA is 3.75, and science GPA is 3.65. I had about 120 hours of shadowings, and I sent out letters of rec from my professors, 1 from my research professor, and 1 from the physician. In addition, I had some good amount of volunteer hours and 2 years of research... Hope this helps.

For those of you who got just accepted.... Do you know how to apply for financial aid other than compeleting FAFSA? If you have recieved the financial aid packet, when is it due?

When will they let me know about campus selection? Will I hear anything from MCG anytime soon?

If you have made your PULSE account. Log-in to PULSE and go to Student menu. I think if you click on something about the adviser or advisement, it will show chart about what courses are to be finished toward the graduation. On the top where your name and graduation date are, there is a campus section which will tell you where you are going.

If you have made your PULSE account. Log-in to PULSE and go to Student menu. I think if you click on something about the adviser or advisement, it will show chart about what courses are to be finished toward the graduation. On the top where your name and graduation date are, there is a campus section which will tell you where you are going.

I've yet to receive word about my campus selection, but pulse has me down for the main campus. Would they have made a campus selection already without informing me?

I've yet to receive word about my campus selection, but pulse has me down for the main campus. Would they have made a campus selection already without informing me?

My pulse account says main campus but they sent me an email a few months ago telling me I was at the Athens campus so I don't think main campus means anything.

Just talk to admissions office, they said they were trying to finish up campus assignments by the middle of the month, and that they will finish by end of April. That Pulse thing is not true, they will send an email, that main campus is just a default, so don't get an apartment just yet

My pulse account says main campus but they sent me an email a few months ago telling me I was at the Athens campus so I don't think main campus means anything.

Ooops. I'm sorry if I have misiformed you.
One of the fourth year person told me to look up the PULSE account, so
I thought this will be the same for us. I guess I will just wait and see where I am going.

Congrats to the future GHSUers. I'm a MS4, just wanted to plug our class again. We matched 10/10 ophto, 8/8 derm, (both of which would be impressive at any school in the country) two people in top 15 neurosurg programs (emory and brigham) two in top 3 rads programs (brigham and penn). Whole load of people got their top choices in a variety of field.
I matched in radiation oncology. Not a field a lot of people come into med school with knowledge about the field, I barely knew it existed... I highly encourage anyone with a modicum of interest in oncology to check it out and get involved early. A premium is placed on extensive research along with usual boards and grades blah blah etc. We don't have a residency program at GHSU, and it's unlikely to be in place by the time you guys graduate. This definitely does make things harder in applying so it's something to be aware of. Feel free to PM me if you have any rad onc questions or any MCG questions in general. The school has been good to me. Make sure to check out Discotheque.

Got my campus assignment yesterday. It looks like I'll be seeing you guys in Augusta.

Random question...will MCG do admissions counseling (talk about your file and how to improve) on a wait listed person for this cycle?

Way to call out the good samaritan publicly :nono:

Not calling him out by any means. If you paid attention, you'd have noticed that I publicly praised the "good samaritan" a couple posts back. I know that with me personally I rarely pay attention to my PM box and have left someone hanging for weeks before I noticed they had PM'd me. I wish they had publicly called me out, as you put it.

Not calling him out by any means. If you paid attention, you'd have noticed that I publicly praised the "good samaritan" a couple posts back. I know that with me personally I rarely pay attention to my PM box and have left someone hanging for weeks before I noticed they had PM'd me. I wish they had publicly called me out, as you put it.

I was only kidding, maybe I should have used a less subtle emoticon :laugh:. Lighten up man :cool:

My bad, hard to catch tone on forums. It's all good.

I didn't recognize the name so I blew it off (been super busy here doing some outside of school stuff). I just responded to your PM.

First of all, it was my third time applying to MCG. My score isn't great but made some improvement in VR. 29P was my best score. Overall GPA is 3.75, and science GPA is 3.65. I had about 120 hours of shadowings, and I sent out letters of rec from my professors, 1 from my research professor, and 1 from the physician. In addition, I had some good amount of volunteer hours and 2 years of research... Hope this helps.

For those of you who got just accepted.... Do you know how to apply for financial aid other than compeleting FAFSA? If you have recieved the financial aid packet, when is it due?

I'm around the same. 28Q is my best. Overall GPA 3.75, Science GPA: 3.58. Right now, I have about 110 hours. I've been updating schools pretty consistently as I gain more hours and talking about what I learned from each experience. By the time I graduate, I should have around 140 hours. I had 3 letters of recs from professors, 3 from research professors, 2 from physicians (though these were a couple days after I was waitlisted and therefore probably don't count), I volunteer pretty consistently, and I have 3 full years, including 2 summers of research.

At any point, did you send in letters of intent? I have, but MCG just says that they received it, but it won't make a difference in my ranking on the waitlist. I'm just getting worried now that I'm getting closer to graduating and having to retake the MCAT and finding a job for the coming year. Any advice on what to do at this point would be helpful!:scared::confused:

I'm around the same. 28Q is my best. Overall GPA 3.75, Science GPA: 3.58. Right now, I have about 110 hours. I've been updating schools pretty consistently as I gain more hours and talking about what I learned from each experience. By the time I graduate, I should have around 140 hours. I had 3 letters of recs from professors, 3 from research professors, 2 from physicians (though these were a couple days after I was waitlisted and therefore probably don't count), I volunteer pretty consistently, and I have 3 full years, including 2 summers of research.

At any point, did you send in letters of intent? I have, but MCG just says that they received it, but it won't make a difference in my ranking on the waitlist. I'm just getting worried now that I'm getting closer to graduating and having to retake the MCAT and finding a job for the coming year. Any advice on what to do at this point would be helpful!:scared::confused:

Get ready to reapply, and find a job in the meantime. All good things come to those who wait, and an off year might be a good thing for you.

My 2-cents after being wait-listed for 3 straight years before my acceptance.

I know most of the movement occurs in May, but has anybody heard of anybody getting off of the waitlist already?

I'm in the same boat as you. I just signed up for a July MCAT and am trying to find a job. Here goes studying again....

Maybe we'll both be lucky and make it off the waitlist :xf:

I'm in the same boat as you. I just signed up for a July MCAT and am trying to find a job. Here goes studying again....

Maybe we'll both be lucky and make it off the waitlist :xf:

I am in the same boat as well. Feeling a bit out of the loop and like I wasn't doing anything I decided to call the admissions office for admissions counseling. Mrs. DeVaughn was extremely helpful in giving me insights into the committee and how they approached my file and insights about the overall process. I definitely recommend making the call to anyone who is on the wait list just incase...

Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know when MCG releases their scholarships?

Status
Not open for further replies.