2010-2011 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does MCG have any sort system for finding roommates, or is it just old school messaging and emailing?

Members don't see this ad.

Does MCG have any sort system for finding roommates, or is it just old school messaging and emailing?

When I asked them, they said that the only way to find roommates was thru facebook and referred me to the UGA housing website. Which campus are you going to? I have a feeling in Athens it will be more difficult to find a roommate because there are significantly less students

Facebook is the most common way. There's also a roomate/house posting section under my.mcg.edu or whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any leads for summer housing near campus? I am an incoming M1

Get ready to reapply, and find a job in the meantime. All good things come to those who wait, and an off year might be a good thing for you.

My 2-cents after being wait-listed for 3 straight years before my acceptance.

What did you do on your years off? I'm just not sure where to go from here. I guess I could shadow full-time for a few months but that seems excessive...

I hope that we all get off the waitlist. I got no clue about what to do for a year:(

What did you do on your years off? I'm just not sure where to go from here. I guess I could shadow full-time for a few months but that seems excessive...

Address the concerns of the committee. Get more education, get better grades, get more shadowing hours that are meaningful, become independent and responsible, etc.

Getting deferred to another year isn't a bad thing, it's the only reason that I sit as high in my class as I do now, which is going to open a lot more doors for me than would have been open if I matriculated straight in.

" Did you know that we are the 6th largest college of medicine? Or that so far this year, we have interviewed 523 applicants and accepted 230 for an average GPA for the group of 3.73 and MCAT of 31.3?"

From today's Dean's letter...

Does anyone know of anybody who has been accepted off of the alternate list so far?

Does anyone know of anybody who has been accepted off of the alternate list so far?

Looking at the thread from last year the movement will probably pick up in a few weeks. We will probably start seeing some posts by then. I hope that all of us can get off, but I also called and spoke with admissions and Dr. Young about my application to get a feel for what to do next. If I don't get off, I am taking that list very seriously and prepping for next cycle...if I do get off, well, you know :D
It is very stressful and quite disappointing (I ended up with two wait lists) but don't give up. If we get off the wait list, hopefully in August we will all be sitting in class together. If not, try again my friends. It will happen eventually.
:luck::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Address the concerns of the committee. Get more education, get better grades, get more shadowing hours that are meaningful, become independent and responsible, etc.

Getting deferred to another year isn't a bad thing, it's the only reason that I sit as high in my class as I do now, which is going to open a lot more doors for me than would have been open if I matriculated straight in.

When I spoke with Ms. DeVaugh and Dr. Young, I was told to increase my MCAT and shadow more, but how much will be enough? I feel that what I have right now is significant. I have been in a heme-onc practice for 3 months, so I have seen a variety of cases and a continuum of practice as patients progress with their treatment and disease. I've talked to the physicians extensively and I've learned a lot. It's definitely confirmed that I want to pursue medicine and possibly even oncology.

I guess I could find shadowing with primary care and other fields, but focusing on just shadowing for a year seems excessive. I was thinking about looking into volunteering with the Red Cross and such, but I guess I'll figure it out.

Thanks for your advice!

When I spoke with Ms. DeVaugh and Dr. Young, I was told to increase my MCAT and shadow more, but how much will be enough? I feel that what I have right now is significant. I have been in a heme-onc practice for 3 months, so I have seen a variety of cases and a continuum of practice as patients progress with their treatment and disease. I've talked to the physicians extensively and I've learned a lot. It's definitely confirmed that I want to pursue medicine and possibly even oncology.

I guess I could find shadowing with primary care and other fields, but focusing on just shadowing for a year seems excessive. I was thinking about looking into volunteering with the Red Cross and such, but I guess I'll figure it out.

Thanks for your advice!

Working in a clinic for 3 months is going to be very valuable shadowing experience, but that's not going to get them to yank you off the waitlist ASAP. Lets be honest here for a second, and realize that most medical school students had 100+ hours of good shadowing time, some in multiple specialties, and others on long-term medical mission trips as well. I think what the committee is trying to tell you is that your application lacked "quality" medical exposure (they often argue about what this means), so they were trying to encourage you to get more clinic time prior to your next application cycle.

I wouldn't dedicate your next year to shadowing a doctor. What I would do is continue to do what makes you happy, provides enough income to be self-sufficient, and continue to make a positive impact in your community. If your MCAT is <30, I would consider taking it again. If your GPA, for the last two years of full-time class, is less than a 3.75, I would enroll in a class or two and try to get it up.

That's just my 2-cents. There's apparently 500+ "qualified" applicants for medical admissions (more than that actually, but that's not the point) to MCG, so you have to do something to show them that you want it more than the others, and that you have demonstrated a long track record that supports your plea.

They want 2-3 years of solid academics, quality shadowing, community involvement, signs of maturity/responsibility, and respect for your future patients. If any of those are lacking (at least on paper), try and improve :)

I hope this isn't too much rambling or sounding harsh...

Working in a clinic for 3 months is going to be very valuable shadowing experience, but that's not going to get them to yank you off the waitlist ASAP. Lets be honest here for a second, and realize that most medical school students had 100+ hours of good shadowing time, some in multiple specialties, and others on long-term medical mission trips as well. I think what the committee is trying to tell you is that your application lacked "quality" medical exposure (they often argue about what this means), so they were trying to encourage you to get more clinic time prior to your next application cycle.

I wouldn't dedicate your next year to shadowing a doctor. What I would do is continue to do what makes you happy, provides enough income to be self-sufficient, and continue to make a positive impact in your community. If your MCAT is <30, I would consider taking it again. If your GPA, for the last two years of full-time class, is less than a 3.75, I would enroll in a class or two and try to get it up.

That's just my 2-cents. There's apparently 500+ "qualified" applicants for medical admissions (more than that actually, but that's not the point) to MCG, so you have to do something to show them that you want it more than the others, and that you have demonstrated a long track record that supports your plea.

They want 2-3 years of solid academics, quality shadowing, community involvement, signs of maturity/responsibility, and respect for your future patients. If any of those are lacking (at least on paper), try and improve :)

I hope this isn't too much rambling or sounding harsh...

It's neither rambling nor harsh. I definitely understand what you're saying, and your advice has been really helpful. I just feel like I have done so much, and I'm just worried that next year, I'm going to experience this same thing. I think that my shadowing has been significant and really helpful, but if the school doesn't then how do I address that? Maybe I'm just overthinking everything.

Thanks for all of your advice! I am planning on taking the MCAT again in July, and my GPA is over 3.75, so I'll try getting shadowing in different fields for a couple months and volunteering in my community, and hopefully that and an increased MCAT score will make the difference.

Would you suggest applying early decision? It's kind of scary because I think I will be a good candidate. When I compare my credentials to those who were accepted early, they match up pretty well, but it's just so risky to have to apply in late September if early acceptance doesn't work out.

It's risky for sure, but it was an easy decision for me. I wanted to go to MCG, so I moved to Augusta and applied EDP.

Current Students, I wanted to know if students typically receive any grant money as part of their financial aid award letter or is it all loans? also, when have merit and need based scholarships been distributed in the past?

Our scholarship fund is poor at best. Don't plan on getting anything, even with a 4.0 and a good MCAT.

You can get all sorts of loans though!

Just wanted to let y'all know that I withdrew my acceptance today. Hope someone gets in off the waitlist soon.

I know someone who was accepted yesterday off the waitlist... via email. Maybe things are picking up. Good luck everyone!:love:

Hey guys - this is my first time posting but I've been following since I interviewed at MCG. I received a phone call from Dr. Young this morning saying that I was accepted off the waitlist. I wish I could offer more help to those of you still waiting, I know how you feel. Good luck - and I look forward to meeting all of you. Cheers.

I
Hey guys - this is my first time posting but I've been following since I interviewed at MCG. I received a phone call from Dr. Young this morning saying that I was accepted off the waitlist. I wish I could offer more help to those of you still waiting, I know how you feel. Good luck - and I look forward to meeting all of you. Cheers.

Congrats! Can you post your stats please?

Yea sure. It's been a long road. This was my fourth time applying to med school, but first time applying to MCG (I was in a different state). I finished undergrad in '06, 3.8 GPA, 3.6 science. 27 on MCAT - 3 times. That was my weakness; my interviewer and the admissions committee told me so (but I obviously knew it wasn't stellar). I worked in research and I have several publications, and I just finished an MPH program. In my interview my guy said that my application was very mature, and the other reviewers agreed with him. It seems to be a trend with MCG, especially by the advice fahimaz gives. Waiting stinks, rejection stinks, I've been there for the past 5 years. If I had any advice to give, I'd say an MPH isn't a bad addition to an application. It goes hand in hand with medicince, and I honestly think more MDs should have them. Hang in there fullset, with the passion you obviously have for this field there's no way you won't be a doctor. It just might not be this year. Don't give up!

Yea sure. It's been a long road. This was my fourth time applying to med school, but first time applying to MCG (I was in a different state). I finished undergrad in '06, 3.8 GPA, 3.6 science. 27 on MCAT - 3 times. That was my weakness; my interviewer and the admissions committee told me so (but I obviously knew it wasn't stellar). I worked in research and I have several publications, and I just finished an MPH program. In my interview my guy said that my application was very mature, and the other reviewers agreed with him. It seems to be a trend with MCG, especially by the advice fahimaz gives. Waiting stinks, rejection stinks, I've been there for the past 5 years. If I had any advice to give, I'd say an MPH isn't a bad addition to an application. It goes hand in hand with medicince, and I honestly think more MDs should have them. Hang in there fullset, with the passion you obviously have for this field there's no way you won't be a doctor. It just might not be this year. Don't give up!

Nice stuff man. Education is always a good thing. You'll do well here.

How many shadowing hours did you have? MCG seems to be really interested in that.

I reported 162 shadowing hours on my MCG secondary app.

Congratulations again...Patience is a b*tch though...hopefully will get off the waitlist.

Congrats! It seems that many people that are waitlisted get in after another round or two of applications...anyone off the list the first time around?

Yes, it was my friend's first time to apply. Interviewed in January, waitlisted, then accepted this week.

Congrats! It seems that many people that are waitlisted get in after another round or two of applications...anyone off the list the first time around?

Of course. Multiple cycles is the exclusion to the rule.

Hey forum... question. I'm heading to Augusta tomorrow to spend the day and become somewhat aquainted. Any suggestions of places to go, places to eat? My intention is to familiarize myself with the city and begin searching for places to live. I'm open and grateful for any advice as I've only been to Augusta a few times and only for interviews. Thanks!

Tako Sushi
Bee's Knee's
Rooster's Beak
New Moon Cafe
Nacho Momma's

Augusta Canal Tour could be good (Augustacanal.com)

Lots of students live in apartments...
Brigham Woods
Steven's Creek Commons
Century Glenn and the one across from it.

I know someone who was accepted yesterday off the waitlist... via email. Maybe things are picking up. Good luck everyone!:love:

I was accepted on 5/2 off the waitlist via phone call from Dr. Young. Best of luck to everyone else!

Hey forum... question. I'm heading to Augusta tomorrow to spend the day and become somewhat aquainted. Any suggestions of places to go, places to eat? My intention is to familiarize myself with the city and begin searching for places to live. I'm open and grateful for any advice as I've only been to Augusta a few times and only for interviews. Thanks!

Also head to the Boll Weevil for some AMAZING cake and desserts!

hey dawgfan44 what were your stats? first time applying or no?

Random question:

Is there a track on campus? I see there is a mini-indoor track in the gym, but do we have a full 400m outdoor track anywhere?

hey dawgfan44 what were your stats? first time applying or no?

First time applicant. Graduate of U of West GA 2011, 3.9 science GPA, 3.6 overall (started as a bus. major) 32R, alot of campus involvement.

Hey I know that the waitlist email said that they can't tell us what our position on the waitlist is. But can we ask them how many people are on it?

Hello. Those of you who got in after March, did you guys get any information concerning financial aid packet for student loans? I had it for other school, and MCG seems like it doesn't have it, or did they miss me sending these?

I got off the waitlist on May 11 - so spots are starting to open up! Good luck to everyone still waiting

there's a great burrito place on the main street...i'm sorry i don't know the name of it but i can't imagine there are too many. it was goooood

Hello. Those of you who got in after March, did you guys get any information concerning financial aid packet for student loans? I had it for other school, and MCG seems like it doesn't have it, or did they miss me sending these?

I got in many months ago and I haven't seen anything! I did go by and talk to the financial aid office earlier this week. And when googling, I came across this link, which is the step by step they said in person too. http://dev.georgiahealth.edu/students/finaid/0809applifingrad.html.

If you've already done all this, they said to just wait. Apparently they "process" in the order they receive everything (FAFSA + MCG financial aid application). The PULSE website has a little more information too. They said all the information about when it gets processed & award amounts will be in there, once its all completed on their end.

I'm trying to stay on top everything and this is what I have so far (please anyone else chime in about what I'm missing or erroneous about!). Obviously, this is the most helpful link: http://www.georgiahealth.edu/pulsepoints/. But, this is my personal list.

1. Acceptance/Deposit submitted via regular mail
2. Campus Assignment acceptance submitted via e-mail
3. Birth Certificate/Tuition Certification submitted via regular mail
4. Transcripts
5. Set up Groupwise E-mail account (info in e-mail)
6. Set up Pulse Account (info in e-mail)
7. Complete FAFSA online
8. Complete MCG Financial Aid Application (requires PULSE account) & Direct Lending Counseling--link at end of application
9. Complete Immunization/Health forms and submit via regular mail to Student health (TB test <3 months from start, so can test & submit this in May).
10. Health Insurance Waiver (if you have better insurance than Pearce & Pearce), I talked to the insurance guy this week and he said you can't submit until after 15 June when the window is open)
10. HIPPA training (link on PULSE site)
11. Orientation - August 4th?

If I missed something, please let me know! And I guess we just wait on more e-mails from here...

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea of how badly it hurts your chances being accepted to MCG if you finish you complete application in september? (Will be taking MCAT in August). I'm wondering if it is worth applying this cycle. My GPA is BCPM 3.61 AO 3.80 Total 3.65. Any advice would be great!

I got off the waitlist on May 11 - so spots are starting to open up! Good luck to everyone still waiting

Congratulations on getting accepted! Can you post your stats please?

Last edited:
Waitlist movement should pick up now, right? Hopefully we will get in tomorrow.

Does anyone have an idea of how badly it hurts your chances being accepted to MCG if you finish you complete application in september? (Will be taking MCAT in August). I'm wondering if it is worth applying this cycle. My GPA is BCPM 3.61 AO 3.80 Total 3.65. Any advice would be great!

I had submitted my primary application on September 20th, and did not turn in secondary app on time, and had several issues trying to establish residency, but I was still accepted off the waitlist a couple weeks ago.

If your credentials are there, go for it!

Yo guys,
Just got a call from MCG saying that I got in off the waitlist. Pretty unbelievable. good luck to everyone else! (3.67 gpa and 31 MCAT)
:):D

Status
Not open for further replies.