2010-2011 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not the most qualified to answer, but from what I understand they are in the midst of transitioning from a traditional style to a more vertically-integrated style, where clinical interactions start the first year, and they're doing more PBL. I've visited there for a presentation and it was clear that they do not intend to keep a "traditional" style for long; I just don't know exactly what they are transitioning to, if that makes sense.

Yes, that helps, thank you. If someone else could give some input on just how far along they are on this transition then that sounds like it would help both of us.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, that helps, thank you. If someone else could give some input on just how far along they are on this transition then that sounds like it would help both of us.

This year's M1s had the option of entering the pilot program for the curriculum changes. My understanding is that the entering class of 2011 will all participate in the new curriculum.

I have the details of the new curriculum at home; I'll share the highlights when I get back later tonight, but perhaps cubssox2000 or Justforkicks4 or another current student can chime in earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)

This year's M1s had the option of entering the pilot program for the curriculum changes. My understanding is that the entering class of 2011 will all participate in the new curriculum.

I have the details of the new curriculum at home; I'll share the highlights when I get back later tonight, but perhaps cubssox2000 or Justforkicks4 or another current student can chime in earlier.

OK, from my interview packet, as of September they expect to expand the pilot to the entire entering class; the final decision will be made early this spring. The new curriculum is an integrated, organ/system-based curriculum that uses team-based learning (approximately 20 hours per week) augmented with labs and simulations as well as a longitudinal patient panel that composes a half-day each week. That's pretty much the gist of it. Hope that helps.

The final decision about the new curriculum will not be made until April. At that point all of the applicants will find out exactly what they are getting into. However, I have to say that the traditional program has changed significantly and is very solid. You will have a great experience either way. There are electives you can take during your first and second year, lots of patient contact, and the classes themselves are becoming more integrated. I love my class, the school, the location, and I am having a great time. I recommend MCW to all if you if you are fortunate enough to receive an acceptance.

Don't worry about your stats too much. They like people that come with good stories.

Good luck!

the final decision about the new curriculum will not be made until april. At that point all of the applicants will find out exactly what they are getting into. However, i have to say that the traditional program has changed significantly and is very solid. You will have a great experience either way. There are electives you can take during your first and second year, lots of patient contact, and the classes themselves are becoming more integrated. I love my class, the school, the location, and i am having a great time. I recommend mcw to all if you if you are fortunate enough to receive an acceptance.

Don't worry about your stats too much. They like people that come with good stories.

Good luck!

+1

Anyone complete in July and small pooled still waiting for interview invites?

Anyone complete in July and small pooled still waiting for interview invites?

I just got my interview invitation on Monday after not hearing from them for about that long

grz, what dates did they have available for interviews? Apparently, any date after mid-March is interviewing for the WL...

grz, what dates did they have available for interviews? Apparently, any date after mid-March is interviewing for the WL...

The e-mail said February 18th and March 4th were the available dates, but I waited a few days to call in and the only date available was March 4th, which is perfectly fine.

Accepted!!

Interviewed last week! E-mail Came in 8:51AM PST.

for anyone who interviewed last thurs, emails are going out. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!! Just got the e-mail a few minutes ago :D

I'm assuming that no email probably means waitlist...

I thought they were sending out decisions via snail mail? Anybody know if they are sending emails throughout the day?

I just got my interview invitation on Monday after not hearing from them for about that long

Congrats!
would you mind me asking what your stats are (you can pm me if you don't want to share:) Im just trying to see where I stand at this point

I also interviewed last week and it was my understanding decisions would be sent via snail mail. Did anyone else who interviewed on the 21st get an acceptance email?

But as for now, I'm just going to assume a waitlist/rejection

I thought they were sending out decisions via snail mail? Anybody know if they are sending emails throughout the day?

They said on interview day that some acceptances will be emailed but dont think you got waitlisted or rejected if you dont get an email. So there is still hope.

Congrats on the acceptances everyone! Let me know if you have any questions about MCW. We have block exams next week (hence physio on a Friday night) so I can't promise I'll get back to you ASAP, but I'll be sure to reply.

They said on interview day that some acceptances will be emailed but dont think you got waitlisted or rejected if you dont get an email. So there is still hope.

I got the impression that they were sending out emails to everyone who interviewed on 1/21 with a decision: accept/reject/waitlist.

I'm confused! And didn't get an email :scared:

I got the impression that they were sending out emails to everyone who interviewed on 1/21 with a decision: accept/reject/waitlist.

I'm confused! And didn't get an email :scared:

From what was said at my interview a few weeks ago, they send decision letters via snail mail to everyone the Friday after the committee meeting. Once those letters are sent out, Istwan said he's "been known to" send emails to the people who were accepted. However, he didn't say everyone accepted gets an email ... I mean, I don't understand why/how you would only send an email to some of the people accepted. Bottom line, though, don't freak out until you get your decision letter in the mail. Just because you didn't get an email doesn't necessarily mean anything just yet

Waitlisted ARGH. At least its not a rejection.. I guess.

What have people heard about the waitlist at this school?

Accepted! Sorry for the late post. Interviewed 12/10. Email 12/17 in the morning.
Congrats to fellow acceptees and good luck to everyone else applying! :)

Also wait-listed. Will they tell you your relative ranking on the wait list if you make a call to the admissions office?

Also wait-listed. Will they tell you your relative ranking on the wait list if you make a call to the admissions office?

I believe that they rank the waitlist into thirds or something like that when interviews are over in April.

I believe that they rank the waitlist into thirds or something like that when interviews are over in April.
They will eventually (~early May) rank it into quartiles. But a few people (myself included) have gotten off the waitlist before they even ranked it. The earliest you'll find out is after the last set of interview sessions, which is in late March/early April.

The MCW department of admissions knows what they are doing and were pretty much the most efficient one I encountered when I applied, and I applied to ~35 schools.

They will eventually (~early May) rank it into quartiles. But a few people (myself included) have gotten off the waitlist before they even ranked it. The earliest you'll find out is after the last set of interview sessions, which is in late March/early April.

The MCW department of admissions knows what they are doing and were pretty much the most efficient one I encountered when I applied, and I applied to ~35 schools.

What does that mean "into quartiles"? And what is the ranking based on? Just interview performance? MCAT/gpa? Or is everything weighed in again?

Is there anything I can do to make myself stand out while on the waitlist?

Welcome back to the boards Raryn, it's been a while.

The quartiles are based on everything that the school has seen of you so far. Its pretty much their ranking of students that will get offers if they move to the waitlist (for instance, being in the first quartile means that you would get an offer before ~75% of the other waitlisted applicants).

I don't know if there is anything to do to improve your standing on the list. MCW is known to not want people sending them emails before they get interviewed, but I don't know about after. Best bet is to call the office and ask them if they accept LoInterest/Intent.

What does that mean "into quartiles"? And what is the ranking based on? Just interview performance? MCAT/gpa? Or is everything weighed in again?

Is there anything I can do to make myself stand out while on the waitlist?
Its been a while since I thought about checking the applicant threads. Glad to see you had them all under control cubsox ;)

There's not much you can do before they compile the waitlist in may. They haven't even finished interviewing yet, so no one has any idea where you stand at this point. If you feel there is new information that should be brought to their attention, such as a new activity that wasn't on your original application, it wouldn't hurt to send them a letter describing it. Otherwise, just sit tight and wait.

I remember how nervewracking the process was and I know that's hard to do, but you will hear from them when you hear from them.

Hello fellow MCW'ites ... so excited I can call myself that now! I'm almost certain I'll be attending in the fall and have started mentally doing some prep.

For current students .. what are your guys' opinions about living alone instead of finding a roommate? I've never lived alone and kind of like the idea of having some place to myself .. not to mention, since I'm not from the area, it might make finding a place a little easier. Do most students live with a roommate or alone? It seems like it could be affordable .. yeah? My only concern, I guess, is that it might be nice to have someone to study with and stuff .. though I guess you can get that even without rooming with them. Any opinions or advice? Much appreciated!

Congrats to all the new acceptees and good luck to those on the waitlist! I really hope you get in!

Last edited:
I know that MCW doesn't accept pre-interview updates, but do they accept pre-interview letters of interest?

I know that MCW doesn't accept pre-interview updates, but do they accept pre-interview letters of interest?
If they don't want letters before they interview that might contain items of substance... what makes you think they want letters before they interview that do not contain any new information?

Just be patient. I got my interview invite in February, interviewed in March, and got accepted in April. I know plenty of others with similar timelines.

Last edited:
If they don't want letters before they interview that might contain items of substance... what makes you think they want letters before they interview that do not contain any new information?

Just be patient. I got my interview invite in February, interviewed in March, and got accepted in April. I know plenty of others with similar timelines.

Okay, thanks for the info. I just feel so helpless just sitting here!

I wasn't expecting to like this place as much as I did but the campus is so gorgeous! And everyone's midwestern accent is kind of the most adorable thing ever. :3

Just a note on the curriculum, my interviewer told me that the most likely route that they'll end up taking is that the pilot program will be stepped up to about half the class for next year, then they'll scale it up as they can, but they will be probably not putting the entire class into the new curriculum next year because there are a lot of things that still need to be prepared. Also, the new curriculum will have NO lectures - just team based learning... so if you like lectures, it's something to keep in mind. But as long as half the class is still in the "classic" curriculum, the lecture recordings and notes will be available to ALL students (whether you are in the pilot program or not).

I wasn't expecting to like this place as much as I did but the campus is so gorgeous! And everyone's midwestern accent is kind of the most adorable thing ever. :3

Just a note on the curriculum, my interviewer told me that the most likely route that they'll end up taking is that the pilot program will be stepped up to about half the class for next year, then they'll scale it up as they can, but they will be probably not putting the entire class into the new curriculum next year because there are a lot of things that still need to be prepared. Also, the new curriculum will have NO lectures - just team based learning... so if you like lectures, it's something to keep in mind. But as long as half the class is still in the "classic" curriculum, the lecture recordings and notes will be available to ALL students (whether you are in the pilot program or not).

Thanks for this message. I interviewed in the beginning of Oct so it's helpful to receive updates as to the expected curriculum for the fall.

Hey guys, I'll be coming into the class of 2015 as a deferred matriculant. If anyone who's in is looking into housing, lemme know since I'm out of state and can't really visit. :p Don't forget to join the Facebook group "Medical College of Wisconsin Class of 2015" if you haven't already.

Also feel free to ask me questions about admissions, especially if you're waitlisted -- because I was for the longest time. I had an awesome student host who gave me a lot of good tips when I interviewed last year.

Your interviewer wasn't exactly right. There are three options for next year: the whole class doing the new curriculum, the whole class doing the traditional curriculum (for one last year), OR a new pilot being put together with anywhere from a quarter to a third of the class. The faculty council will make the final decision in a couple months, and the decision is by no means certain at this point. The faculty are hesitant about a second pilot, because they don't want to be running four curricula at once (two for M1 and two for M2).

The current pilot students are doing completely team based learning every afternoon, and additionally spend one morning a week in clinic. While they do have access to the traditional students lecture recordings and notes, they go through the material in a completely different order, so its pretty much irrelevant for them. We don't know if that will be the form the new curriculum will eventually take though, because they're adjusting it as they go along.

As it currently stands, no one (not even the faculty council or the curriculum committee) knows for sure what the students will be doing come August and/or how they will be split up. The decision will be made well before May 15 though, so you will know more before the deadline to decide if you want to come here. Either way, whether you end up as traditional or pilot, I would still recommend coming here. The administration definitely wants to do what is best for the students and has been putting in a lot of work to that regard.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Hello fellow MCW'ites ... so excited I can call myself that now! I'm almost certain I'll be attending in the fall and have started mentally doing some prep.

For current students .. what are your guys' opinions about living alone instead of finding a roommate? I've never lived alone and kind of like the idea of having some place to myself .. not to mention, since I'm not from the area, it might make finding a place a little easier. Do most students live with a roommate or alone? It seems like it could be affordable .. yeah? My only concern, I guess, is that it might be nice to have someone to study with and stuff .. though I guess you can get that even without rooming with them. Any opinions or advice? Much appreciated!

Congrats to all the new acceptees and good luck to those on the waitlist! I really hope you get in!

Bump! Any advice?

Bump! Any advice?

living alone is a great idea. youre an adult you can take care of yourself and the privacy is terrific because you will need down time and just time to be alone with your thoughts when you are in school. congratulations and welcome!

living alone is a great idea. youre an adult you can take care of yourself and the privacy is terrific because you will need down time and just time to be alone with your thoughts when you are in school. congratulations and welcome!

What about the cost benefits of having a roommate though?

theres always that but you have to decide whether or not its worth it. it just seems to me that the downtime is worth it for my sanity but it may very well be different other ppl. ill see you in health

What about the cost benefits of having a roommate though?

This is something you'll have to figure out for yourself. There's plenty of time to make this decision once you decide on a med school. Here at MCW you can still find plenty of good places to live into June or even early July which gives you time to make a budget and look at the rent at different places. I love having a roommate and it's been a great cost-effective choice. Other people really like having a place to themselves though so only you know that answer to this question. If anyone has any questions about living situations at MCW or the school in general just let me know!

I would assume most people end up living in Tosa/West Allis, but is it feasible to live out in Milwaukee proper, say on the East Side, Third Ward, or Bay View?

I would assume most people end up living in Tosa/West Allis, but is it feasible to live out in Milwaukee proper, say on the East Side, Third Ward, or Bay View?

Traffic anywhere east of the Zoo Interchange (I-94/45N/I-894) is pretty crappy in the morning and afternoon. It takes my husband twice as long to get to the 3rd Ward in the morning as it takes me to get to Waukesha (I-94 and 164) and we live right in the armpit of the Zoo Interchange.

That being said, if the choice were mine, I'd choose either walking distance to MCW for the convenience or Third Ward/Bay View for the niceties (if you're going to be driving anyway, might as well live somewhere fun). Tosa's downtown is nice enough, too. 'Stallis is probably cheapest (?), though.

There are definitely students that live downtown, but more that live in 'Tosa. If you're looking to live downtown, you would probably be looking at a solid 20-25 min drive in morning traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.