2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
img9c8ed979zik0zj.jpeg

This is a bit old fashioned.

So this is a really dumb question, but I'm not sure at all.
When I first submit AMCAS then with the fee of $160, that includes ONE school, right? In other words, if I submit AMCAS with a medical school, would I be able to submit my letters of recommendation when I turn in my secondaries (i.e. AMCAS would be verified by that time?)? Or should they be in before AMCAS becomes verified (so about two-three weeks after my submission)?

I guess I'm just not sure because I read somewhere that AMCAS isn't verified if the letters of recommendation that you planned to include aren't sent in by the time you submit the application? Maybe I read it wrong... I know I can add additional LORs, which doesn't affect verification though.

Thanks all! AMCAS is such a pain.. If this is too rudimentary, feel free to refer me to a page in AMCAS Manual. I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet (only part about transcript so far).
The first school is $160. Each school after that is another $20, I believe.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys sorry for the simple question but what address do I send my transcript to? Where did you guys find it am I blind?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you print out the transcript request form, it will have AMCAS's address on there. :)

Apologies. They've raised the prices on me--it's $33 now. I'm glad you've decided to show us your commitment to professionalism.

:thumbup: P.S. Your alacrity on quoting me makes me look like a fool now, haha.

:thumbup: P.S. Your alacrity on quoting me makes me look like a fool now, haha.

I suppose if answering your question directly is riduculing you, I'll be ridiculing people all season?:confused:

But in all seriousness, good luck this season.:):luck::xf:

(The "old fashioned" was in reference to old-school thread-camping and had nothing to do with you.)

Last edited:
I suppose if answering your question directly is riduculing you, I'll be ridiculing people all season?:confused:

But in all seriousness, good luck this season.:):luck::xf:

(The "old fashioned" was in reference to old-school thread-camping and had nothing to do with you.)

Haha, thank you! I obviously didn't get the meaning of the picture. :laugh::laugh:

img9c8ed979zik0zj.jpeg

This is a bit old fashioned.
Myuu, you're the second red bow from the right? Huh? Huh? Am I right? I'd know that, "I'll cut you if you mess with me!" look anywhere! Or is that the, "Some day I'm gonna go to Case and study medicine" look?:laugh: In any case, it's very fun, thanks!

Myuu, you're the second red bow from the right? Huh? Huh? Am I right? I'd know that, "I'll cut you if you mess with me!" look anywhere! Or is that the, "Some day I'm gonna go to Case and study medicine" look?:laugh: In any case, it's very fun, thanks!

Can't it be both?:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
CCLCMer, i'd looked at the CP but since i'm in grad school now (will be going from phd to md) i figured applying there would be pointless and they'd toss my app. but your other post made it sound like there are other 'masters level' degrees or something that can be done vs an MS? is there a spot on the website where they describe which research based degrees you can do once you go there? also do you think a phd applying would be weird or is that not uncommon? thanks!

CCLCMer, i'd looked at the CP but since i'm in grad school now (will be going from phd to md) i figured applying there would be pointless and they'd toss my app. but your other post made it sound like there are other 'masters level' degrees or something that can be done vs an MS? is there a spot on the website where they describe which research based degrees you can do once you go there? also do you think a phd applying would be weird or is that not uncommon? thanks!

You asking CCLCMer, or can "vc7777er" answer? Dr. CCLCMer is off doing his/her doctoring stuff now. :p

They will not toss your application. Your app would not be weird or uncommon. One of my classmates is a PharmD currently. There have been several other PhD applicants. I believe at least on of the next incoming class is a PhD candidate.

Please check out the website:
cclcm.ccf.org

Login as "guest" and password "guest"
on the Right hand banner is a "Master's Degree Options"

You asking CCLCMer, or can "vc7777er" answer? Dr. CCLCMer is off doing his/her doctoring stuff now. :p

They will not toss your application. Your app would not be weird or uncommon. One of my classmates is a PharmD currently. There have been several other PhD applicants. I believe at least on of the next incoming class is a PhD candidate.

Please check out the website:
cclcm.ccf.org

Login as "guest" and password "guest"
on the Right hand banner is a "Master's Degree Options"

fantastic! i just asked cclcmer because the name makes it obvious which program he/she's in :)

so does your signature, but i can't be bothered with such literacy...

out of curiosity, what is "CRSP"? didn't see something corresponding to that in the pdf...

thank you!

I PMed you with more specifics, but I wanted to answer here too in case any other grad students or people with PhDs are reading this. Your app will definitely NOT be tossed if you have a PhD, and it will NOT be weird to apply if you have a PhD. There are several students with PhDs who have been accepted and matriculated--we had two people with PhDs in my class, which may not sound like many until you consider that the entire class was only 32 people! For seeing the MS options, the best thing to do is to go to the portal like vc7777 suggested above.

You hush. Even though you're a big shot second year now, I'm still the top-ranking CCLCMer of the Case/CCLCM threads, and don't you forget it. [/pull rank] :smuggrin:

fantastic! i just asked cclcmer because the name makes it obvious which program he/she's in :)

so does your signature, but i can't be bothered with such literacy...

out of curiosity, what is "CRSP"? didn't see something corresponding to that in the pdf...

thank you!
CRSP is the Clinical Research Scholars Program. It's a clinical research MS. That's the one I did.

Oh, and vc7777, I saw what you did there. Now you've got fizzgig doing it too. :laugh:

CRSP is the Clinical Research Scholars Program. It's a clinical research MS. That's the one I did.

Oh, and vc7777, I saw what you did there. Now you've got fizzgig doing it too. :laugh:

Yeah...gender confusion is easy to instill in others on SDN. :p

I am also (for now) on-track for the CRSP degree. It is a good focus for people who are certain that they will not be doing basic science for their research year. It is also very convenient, as it is run by CCF staff and classes are basically at CCLCM.

Funny, it should be in the documentation on the portal (website) I mentioned?

Ack. vc7777 you are right, it's there. I missed it.

Thanks, both of you!

Has there been Canadians/other international folks at CCLCM? Just curious.

We have a strong showing of international students. And Canadians too.

Gotcha.

I saw Class Profile and loved how students from various kinds of institution (anywhere from Ivy Leagues to CUNY) are in the program. It's nice to see that it's not just about name game as seen in some Ivy Leagues (let's face it, some Ivy Leagues love to just accept Ivy Leagues to boost their egos, not even giving chance to non-Ivy Leaguers).

Gotcha.

I saw Class Profile and loved how students from various kinds of institution (anywhere from Ivy Leagues to CUNY) are in the program. It's nice to see that it's not just about name game as seen in some Ivy Leagues (let's face it, some Ivy Leagues love to just accept Ivy Leagues to boost their egos, not even giving chance to non-Ivy Leaguers).
It's my firm belief that we are at Case above that. Simply put we accept the best and brightest people who fit.

Sent from my Andriod phone using Tapatalk

That sounds unfair.
Case - class size 199 - 79 undergraduate schools, 34 states, 4 foreign countries
HMS - size 165 - 74 schools rep'd, 32 states, 10 countries
Penn - 163 - 62 schools, 24 states
Cornell - 101 - 61 schools

no stats on columbia but I'm sure it's similar.

And it's another gorgeous weekend in the Cleve!

Oh, man. Now, I'm tempted to go buy myself a mackerel...:love:

I'm a vegetarian, but my friends RAVE about their seafood!

For those who don't know, West Side Market is a gem of Cleveland. It's been on food network so many times because of Chef Michael Simon (his restaurants in Cleveland are amazing!).Vendors from all over come and sell seafood, meat, fresh produce, baked goods and so much more. Everything is just so fresh! :love:

www.westsidemarket.org

I'm a vegetarian, but my friends RAVE about their seafood!

For those who don't know, West Side Market is a gem of Cleveland. It's been on food network so many times because of Chef Michael Simon (his restaurants in Cleveland are amazing!).Vendors from all over come and sell seafood, meat, fresh produce, baked goods and so much more. Everything is just so fresh! :love:

www.westsidemarket.org

Last time I went there, I was looking for a mackerel, but ended up with a mackerel, a pound and a half of salmon, some tuna, a gyro, a stack of pita, some carrot cake, a brownie, some other ridiculously delicious thing...

...man, that was a delicious weekend.

That sounds unfair.
Case - class size 199 - 79 undergraduate schools, 34 states, 4 foreign countries
HMS - size 165 - 74 schools rep'd, 32 states, 10 countries
Penn - 163 - 62 schools, 24 states
Cornell - 101 - 61 schools

no stats on columbia but I'm sure it's similar.

HMS doesn't surprise me. I don't know how Penn and Cornell are though until you told me those numbers.

I've had friends who came up to me from previous cycles and said that when they went to interviews, they mostly saw people from name schools. Granted, those kids are bright, but at the same time, I think it really hurts people from small LACs because it's extremely difficult for non-URMs/non-women to get into summer research programs at big universities, and since those big research programs influence admission decisions at big research institutions (not always, but they certainly do in some places), it basically means that if you are non-URM/non-women from small LACs, you better have extremely high GPA and MCAT because otherwise, people with from more well-known schools will take your spots. Yes, I'm well aware that 3.7 from a small LAC in Midwest isn't same as 3.7 from MIT - but considering that MIT gives pass/fail first year, and that some name schools are notorious for grade inflation, it is in a way unfair if your goal is big research institutions.

---Note: I'm not disliking on name schools. Of course not. But I'm just portraying a picture here, and people from my LAC have gone to big research institutions like Mayo, Hopkins, etc..

Anyways, back to Case. Go Case! :thumbup:

A couple questions and an aside point:

1) This West Side Market sounds amazing!!! Do you think the seafood there is fresh enough to make sushi or tartar dishes??!! I can't even get fish that fresh from Whole Foods! I mean, I suppose I could find a fish monger around here, but I digress...

2) I have a question about research at Case. I accidentally went to the thread from last year (was very intrigued regarding its sudden explosion to 52 pages...), and found this posted by...vc7777, I think:

Did you know Case Med is ranked 17th among U.S. medical schools in awards from NIH (FY 2009)?

AND for specific NIH funding areas (FY 2009):

#1 for nutrition research
#3 Pediatrics research
#6 Orthopaedics research
#6 Dermatology research
#7 Biomedical Engineering research
#12 Family Medicine research

So, in your guys' experience, do these funding ranks correspond to amount of research in the area?

EDIT: That would be unlikely, right? Or am I silly in assuming an institution would perform less research in dermatology than, say, cardiovascular disease? COPD? cancer?

3) :beat: Also, Silverfalcon, many people who go to bigger name undergraduate institutions got there by doing very well on the ACT/SAT. I can't imagine attending college making one worse at taking standardized tests. For instance, I've been told that the average MCAT score of former/current Harvard undergraduates is a 36. I tried to find some sort of table in the interwebz relating undergraduate institution with average MCAT score but was bogged down with all the medical schools and average MCATs.

Last edited:
A couple questions and an aside point:

1) This West Side Market sounds amazing!!! Do you think the seafood there is fresh enough to make sushi or tartar dishes??!! I can't even get fish that fresh from Whole Foods! I mean, I suppose I could find a fish monger around here, but I digress...

2) I have a question about research at Case. I accidentally went to the thread from last year (was very intrigued regarding its sudden explosion to 52 pages...), and found this posted by...vc7777, I think:

Did you know Case Med is ranked 17th among U.S. medical schools in awards from NIH (FY 2009)?

AND for specific NIH funding areas (FY 2009):

#1 for nutrition research
#3 Pediatrics research
#6 Orthopaedics research
#6 Dermatology research
#7 Biomedical Engineering research
#12 Family Medicine research

So, in your guys' experience, do these funding ranks correspond to amount of research in the area?

EDIT: That would be unlikely, right? Or am I silly in assuming an institution would perform less research in dermatology than, say, cardiovascular disease? COPD? cancer?

3) :beat: Also, Silverfalcon, many people who go to bigger name undergraduate institutions got there by doing very well on the ACT/SAT. I can't imagine attending college making one worse at taking standardized tests. For instance, I've been told that the average MCAT score of former/current Harvard undergraduates is a 36. I tried to find some sort of table in the interwebz relating undergraduate institution with average MCAT score but was bogged down with all the medical schools and average MCATs.
1) You can ask for sushi cuts!

2) There is certainly a toooooon of research going on!

3) if you guys could stop taking the prestige bait, this would be a much happier thread.:)

Mea culpa for taking the prestige bait :oops:. I already thought the thread was super happy! Lurking around it helps my stress, at least :D.

Myuu: Do you know if grad students (PhD candidates) interact with MD/PhD candidates (from UP and/or CP) in same lab? In other words, when you go through research courses for PhD portion of MD/PhD, are you with MD/PhD folks or anyone who's doing work for PhD (so MD/PhD + PhD +/- postdocs etc..)?

1) You can ask for sushi cuts!

2) There is certainly a toooooon of research going on!

3) if you guys could stop taking the prestige bait, this would be a much happier thread.:)

I know this isn't what you are talking about, but you have brought up the fact that I will want to know where good sushi restaurants are in Cleveland.

I know this isn't what you are talking about, but you have brought up the fact that I will want to know where good sushi restaurants are in Cleveland.

Pacific East is nearby in Coventry and has great sushi (from what I've heard, I've only had their vegetarian rolls and that's not saying much). Also, Sushi Rock is another popular one, its a little farther out though

Pacific East was decent - I only had 2 things, but I've heard other ppl like it too. I hear Sushi Rock isn't very good.

Watami is a sushi buffet in Parma. I wasn't expecting much, but their sushi was actually good. Their sashimi was quite good quality!
"A Panda Buffet" also has sushi, but quality isn't as high.

I recognize I'm not from the coast, but I've had high quality sushi before ;)

Pacific East was decent - I only had 2 things, but I've heard other ppl like it too. I hear Sushi Rock isn't very good.

Watami is a sushi buffet in Parma. I wasn't expecting much, but their sushi was actually good. Their sashimi was quite good quality!
"A Panda Buffet" also has sushi, but quality isn't as high.

I recognize I'm not from the coast, but I've had high quality sushi before ;)

Haha yeah, I would trust Auriga on this one. Getting sushi recommendations from a vegetarian is not the best idea :)

Yes, no more taking the bait folks...

And THAT is a Double Entendre; because it was Parasite Week at CCLCM last week.

Diphyllobothrium latum. 25 meters. That is all I will say. Enjoy your sushi.

Yes, no more taking the bait folks...

And THAT is a Double Entendre; because it was Parasite Week at CCLCM last week.

Diphyllobothrium latum. 25 meters. That is all I will say. Enjoy your sushi.

Yes but that's why they freeze all sushi-destined fish. A day or two of <-10C will kill the parasites!

(<- definitely not a vegetarian)

Hey everyone,

I'm applying to both programs and i had a few questions..

When do interviews start? It's possible I'll be in Berlin starting in the beginning of October, I assume they don't do interviews before that?

Also, is there good food in the area? This is of equal or greater importance than the first question.

Diphyllobothrium latum. 25 meters.

Approximately four out of five cases are asymptomatic and may go many years without being detected.:eek: And that's just one MORE reason not to eat sushi.:smuggrin:

And don't start that eggplant stuff again either!:laugh: So what's it going to be Wendys or the Falafel Cafe?;)

Approximately four out of five cases are asymptomatic and may go many years without being detected.:eek: And that's just one MORE reason not to eat sushi.:smuggrin:

And don't start that eggplant stuff again either!:laugh: So what's it going to be Wendys or the Falafel Cafe?;)

Eggplants are delicious every year!

Being from one of our two great coasts, I am not terribly optimistic about things being called 'sushi' that are eaten in Cleveland (or landlocked regions in general).

Eggplants are delicious every year!

Being from one of our two great coasts, I am not terribly optimistic about things being called 'sushi' that are eaten in Cleveland (or landlocked regions in general).

I grew up on a coast too, so I have the same bias, but I wonder how Great Lakes fish sashimi would taste. I guess most of the traditional sashimi fish are saltwater fish, but there are salmon in the Lakes too so.....

I grew up on a coast too, so I have the same bias, but I wonder how Great Lakes fish sashimi would taste. I guess most of the traditional sashimi fish are saltwater fish, but there are salmon in the Lakes too so.....

Freshwater fish are not made into sashimi for a reason.:oops:

Hey everyone,

I'm applying to both programs and i had a few questions..

When do interviews start? It's possible I'll be in Berlin starting in the beginning of October, I assume they don't do interviews before that?

Also, is there good food in the area? This is of equal or greater importance than the first question.

Excellent priorities...when I interview people for lunchtime adventures I pull them aside and ask "where do you see your self in one hour?" If the answer is "still eating lunch" then you are allowed to join.

So, as alluded to before in this thread - people applying to both must wait till your application has been reviewed by both adcoms before a decision to invite is made. This is out of consideration so that you, applicants, do not need to make two trips to cleveland. It also reflects our belief that the delay has no impact on your "chances" or competitiveness in either program application process.

I will ask when the first interviews are scheduled to begin tomorrow. However, note that you cannot really do much as far as timing - you will be invited to come interview when they decide. If you are away, you might just have to wait till you return. :shrug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.