2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top!

Ok...I couldn't wait. I have posted myself into a corner these past few pages.

z1p23BgIlnz2fztyXmqa4WnQo1_400.png

Members don't see this ad.

what's up with these secondaries, I almost forgot about case

just kidding?

:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
was wondering when this thread would finally turn a page. glad secondaries aren't coming til July ... I've got quite the stack piling up already.

I love Case! Just submitted my primary. I haven't been in the thread yet cuz it's intimidating! Seven pages...haha. :laugh: You guys must be awesome.

Top!

FOUL! Major violation of SDN code 34B, subsection c, paragraph 12 where it states that at least 5 minutes must lapse between posts when vying for "Top" Banana.....if you're a monkey.

Top Arc Reactor.........if you're a robot
Top Eye Patch...........if you're a pirate
Top Sanjaku Tenugui.. if you're a ninja
Top Flesh Eater..........if you're a zombie

Better luck next time but we have some wonderful parting gifts for you. A case of Campbell's soup. Sorry, all we have left is eggplant flavor!:laugh:

Top!

z1p23BgIlnz2fztyXmqa4WnQo1_400.png
Did you draw this yourself? That is totally something you would do. :laugh:

I love Case! Just submitted my primary. I haven't been in the thread yet cuz it's intimidating! Seven pages...haha. :laugh: You guys must be awesome.
Don't be intimidated. Just jump in if you know what they're talking about, which I don't except for the Harry Potter part.

At Clinic today. They brought a harpsicordist (spelling?) To play at lunchtime today.
It's harpsichordist. And really? That's....weird. And yet completely believable. I assume this was in Miller?

I just finished two days of ACLS training. I am now fully certified to resuscitate people with cardiovascular problems of all kinds, as long as these people are dummies with no arms or legs, and there is an instructor hiding behind the scenes to alter the rhythms on the monitor. Ah, simulation. They pretend to have problems, and I pretend to fix them. The funniest part was when an instructor told my group to observe the "patient" to look for what was wrong. One of the other interns said, "This guy is in asystole, plus he has no arms or legs. Is it really worth trying to resuscitate him?" :laugh:

Haha...yeah you really don't like eggplant? It is quite delicious.

At Clinic today. They brought a harpsicordist (spelling?) To play at lunchtime today.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk
Did they play the theme from the Munsters? Or was that Addams Family?:laugh:

Eggplant is just one of those things I haven't warmed up to yet. It just doesn't "look" right. And I know a bunch of you (Aruiga et al) are big time eggplant fans so I just have to harrass you about it cuz I'm jealous!;)

Did you draw this yourself? That is totally something you would do. :laugh:
:p No I didn't...sadly.
It's harpsichordist. And really? That's....weird. And yet completely believable. I assume this was in Miller?
Indeed...it was weird...not as strange as the flash mob[youtube=6KLy6uw4moA]the flash mob[/youtube]
[youtube=lYwmsClnv7o]Part 2[/youtube]
...but still strange!
TheModFather said:
I just finished two days of ACLS training. I am now fully certified to resuscitate people with cardiovascular problems of all kinds, as long as these people are dummies with no arms or legs, and there is an instructor hiding behind the scenes to alter the rhythms on the monitor. Ah, simulation. They pretend to have problems, and I pretend to fix them. The funniest part was when an instructor told my group to observe the "patient" to look for what was wrong. One of the other interns said, "This guy is in asystole, plus he has no arms or legs. Is it really worth trying to resuscitate him?" :laugh:
:D Wow...I will steal that for CPR training, if you don't mind! :p

Did they play the theme from the Munsters? Or was that Addams Family?:laugh:
Actually...it was all opera, which I really enjoyed and hummed along to. But now, I feel I was deprived...:(
Midfieldrulz said:
Eggplant is just one of those things I haven't warmed up to yet. It just doesn't "look" right. And I know a bunch of you (Aruiga et al) are big time eggplant fans so I just have to harrass you about it cuz I'm jealous!;)
Yes, eggplant is a long-standing running joke now. :)

Man, I watched a Wada procedure today. Fascinating to watch interventional neuroradiologists put half of a person's brain to sleep while they are awake. :eek: Both sides, one at a time. That plus watching an expert neurologist do a continuous neuro and language examination on the patient while they are half-paralyzed was amazing.

Last edited:
:p No I didn't...sadly.
Indeed...it was weird...not as strange as the flash mob[YOUTUBE="6KLy6uw4moA"]the flash mob[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="lYwmsClnv7o"]Part 2[/YOUTUBE]
...but still strange!

:D Wow...I will steal that for CPR training, if you don't mind! :p

Actually...it was all opera, which I really enjoyed and hummed along to. But now, I feel I was deprived...:(
Yes, eggplant is a long-standing running joke now. :)

Man, I watched a Wada procedure today. Fascinating to watch interventional neuroradiologists put half of a person's brain to sleep while they are awake. :eek: Both sides, one at a time. That plus watching an expert neurologist do a continuous neuro and language examination on the patient while they are half-paralyzed was amazing.

Wow that's crazy. Did the neurologist have him/her sing?

Nope! :oops:

The test is performed for specific reasons to drive further surgical procedures involving areas close to the language centers of the brain. Verbal working memory and talking (speech) were tested.

You know what else is crazy? How amazing our hospital is, that we have patients leaping out of wheelchairs and singing operatic duets with our staff?* :p

*Results not typical. YMMV

Somewhere on CCLCM's website (or maybe the MSAR), I noticed that 31 out of 32 students in the incoming class has a science major. Is that a requirement, something strongly recommended, a reflection of the fact that CCLCM is a five year research intensive program, and humanities and social science majors are likely to go elsewhere, or something else altogether?

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhere on CCLCM's website (or maybe the MSAR), I noticed that 31 out of 32 students in the incoming class has a science major. Is that a requirement, something strongly recommended, a reflection of the fact that CCLCM is a five year research intensive program, and humanities and social science majors are likely to go elsewhere, or something else altogether?

First, there is no requirement that you have a science major. You must have the science background (coursework), but a major is not required. Please see the Post #1 FAQ for more answers to your questions.

Second, we students are more than a flat, static, statistic. How do you quantify the people with "minors" or post-bacs, or other unusual educational backgrounds? The "one" you speak of is a very good friend of mine - and has a damn good research mind.

Yes, there is self-selection of candidates away from CCLCM. Furthermore, you have to want to do research, have some experience with research, and have the requisite science coursework completed. No getting around that. So, you can see why many are science majors. But required? Nope.

EDIT:
Furthermore, your research as an undergrad can be in any area and does not need to be biomedical in nature.

Last edited:
First, there is no requirement that you have a science major. You must have the science background, but a major is not required. Please see the Post #1 FAQ for more answers to your questions.

Second, we students are more than a flat, static, statistic. How do you quantify the people with "minors" or post-bacs, or other unusual educational backgrounds? The "one" you speak of is a very good friend of mine - and has a damn good research mind.

Yes, there is self-selection of candidates away from CCLCM. Furthermore, you have to want to do research, have some experience with research, and have the requisite science coursework completed. No getting around that. So, you can see why many are science majors. But required? Nope.

Excellent. I was hoping that was the case. CCLCM didn't seem like the rigid type to weight something as a major so heavily, and I'm very glad to read your response :)

I sold this to apply to medical school. I restored this from basically a junker between my summer before junior year of HS and my junior year of College. Full frame-off restoration. 90% of the work done by: moi.

How badly do you want to be in medical school? ;)

View attachment P1020288.JPG

[/Entertaining myself]

Here's my OTHER MGA I also sold to apply to med school. (You can tell this is a 1600cc engine because of the front calipers)

As you can see, this is slightly earlier in the restoration process, but still MUCH much better than when I salvaged it from the junkyard. But you get the idea of what I can do with time, resources, and patience.

I was telling my summer advisor this week that I might want to consider a surgical specialty- mainly because during the restorations I used to work with my hands almost every free waking moment.

View attachment P1020291.JPG

These cars...are only things, you know? I'm not in it for the money. CCLCM is the adventure of my life and the best thing that has ever happened to me, personally.

Money can't buy happiness. The cars where fun, and will always be in my memories. I hope - no, I KNOW - I will find much deeper satisfaction (as corny as it sounds) making a big impact in the lives of my future patients. Personally, someday I also hope to become faculty at a medical school, too. How cool is that? To impact future doctors, and indirectly all their patients? THAT, my friends. That, is sweet.

:thumbup:
:D

These cars...are only things, you know? I'm not in it for the money. CCLCM is the adventure of my life and the best thing that has ever happened to me, personally.

Money can't buy happiness. The cars where fun, and will always be in my memories. I hope - no, I KNOW - I will find much deeper satisfaction (as corny as it sounds) making a big impact in the lives of my future patients. Personally, someday I also hope to become faculty at a medical school, too. How cool is that? To impact future doctors, and indirectly all their patients? THAT, my friends. That, is sweet.

Hey everyone. The 7 pages on this thread is pretty impressive considering the next best school (in terms of thread pages) has 3. I'm applying to Case Med obviously but am also going to be at Case for the coming academic year. I'm going to be in the new Medical Physiology MS Program. Hopefully this helps get me into Case Med as well!

Anyway, I wanted to ask some of the current students at Case about housing and meal plan kind of stuff. I am thinking about living in Cutler House (New Grad Housing) or in the Triangle Apartments. And how is the food at Case both on campus meal plan and else where? Also I'm going to be visiting the campus in a few weeks and wanted to know if there is anything in particular I should make sure to get a look at. I know this is a lot but I'de appreciate any info you guys would be willing to give. Thanks in advance!

No, definitely not. A lot of CCLCM students have liberal arts backgrounds. I am a LAC grad with a BA. Don't forget that a lot of people have double majors, too. I was a humanities and science double major. :)

You do realize that he HAS to say that, right?

Hi, Liz and Dean Franco. :hello:
Survived my first week of residency, which means so far, so good. Hope everyone in the admissions/student affairs office is doing well. Tell Darlene, Denise, Karen, and MJ hi for me and that I miss them. Oh, and Christian and Dean Mehta, hi to you too!
Love, CCLCMer

:D :p

(For those with no sense of humor, the above was a joke.)

Hey everyone. The 7 pages on this thread is pretty impressive considering the next best school (in terms of thread pages) has 3. I'm applying to Case Med obviously but am also going to be at Case for the coming academic year. I'm going to be in the new Medical Physiology MS Program. Hopefully this helps get me into Case Med as well!

Anyway, I wanted to ask some of the current students at Case about housing and meal plan kind of stuff. I am thinking about living in Cutler House (New Grad Housing) or in the Triangle Apartments. And how is the food at Case both on campus meal plan and else where? Also I'm going to be visiting the campus in a few weeks and wanted to know if there is anything in particular I should make sure to get a look at. I know this is a lot but I'de appreciate any info you guys would be willing to give. Thanks in advance!

DON'T LIVE IN CUTLER! I was an RA in the area last year and knew lots of students living in Cutler. It's basically falling apart, plus you will be living with freshmen students in the surrounding buildings. Definitely do apartments. The meal plan isn't bad, but it isn't the best. It is quite expensive though. PM me if you want more information, I'm a current undergrad/grad student here. :)

nah. no he doesn't HAVE to say that. they just might revoke his ROCKET SURGEON credentials if he doesn't. :p

I'll have you know, my rocket scientist credentials were already conferred upon me after the most stringent vetting of my educational pedigree PLUS my score on the RSAT (Rocket School Admissions Test). :shifty:

Lee, founder of SDN, randomly gave it to me.

Hey, VC, my roommate had a 74 MGB, kinda burnt orangish. Amazing amount of leg room in that little buggy! He had quite the extensive tool box to keep it running. Everything you could think of, plus bubble gum, bailing wire and duct tape!:laugh:

What the heck was going on over on Coventry at the street fair? That's a good time, why do people have to wreck stuff?:mad:

Next time you're out E222nd way, you should check out the wind tower at a company on St. Clair. HUGE!! Over 400 ft high. I'm sure you can probably see it from the Shoreway.

Hiiii,

I had a question about letters of recommendation for CCLCM. I find on their website that I can submit
1) One from a research advisor and two more science faculty
(may add 2-3 others)
OR
2) One letter from a research advisor and a premedical committee evaluation

My school has a premed committee, so I'm definitely sending along their evaluation. However, our evaluation gets sent to AMCAS as a packet, which includes the committee letter and my letters of recommendation (2 from science professors, 1 from a humanities professor, 1 from my PI). Does the letter from my PI cover me? I would think so...

Also, while my PI and I do have a solid relationship/he loves me/he thinks I should go into research/he knows stuff about my life and personality, I'm probably closer to the post-doc (well, more of a career researcher on his way to being a PI) who I work with more closely. I could have him send in a letter as well...it just seemed like overkill for my overall application since my PI ought to have covered many salient points. But if they'd really like to hear from my "advisor", that would more likely be this other guy. Then again, I do meet together with my PI and my other guy all the time and do get plenty of advice/input from my PI.

.......I'm being indecisive. What do you guys think?

Hiiii,

I had a question about letters of recommendation for CCLCM. I find on their website that I can submit
1) One from a research advisor and two more science faculty
(may add 2-3 others)
OR
2) One letter from a research advisor and a premedical committee evaluation

My school has a premed committee, so I'm definitely sending along their evaluation. However, our evaluation gets sent to AMCAS as a packet, which includes the committee letter and my letters of recommendation (2 from science professors, 1 from a humanities professor, 1 from my PI). Does the letter from my PI cover me? I would think so...

Also, while my PI and I do have a solid relationship/he loves me/he thinks I should go into research/he knows stuff about my life and personality, I'm probably closer to the post-doc (well, more of a career researcher on his way to being a PI) who I work with more closely. I could have him send in a letter as well...it just seemed like overkill for my overall application since my PI ought to have covered many salient points. But if they'd really like to hear from my "advisor", that would more likely be this other guy. Then again, I do meet together with my PI and my other guy all the time and do get plenty of advice/input from my PI.

.......I'm being indecisive. What do you guys think?

I'm a little confused by your wording? Can you run down the list again? For me, a committee letter IS a form of Letter(s) of Recommendation - usually it is a bunch of excerpts from multiple professors combined by the pre-med staff into a single, large packet. :confused:

As far as which letter or whether to send both - I think that's your call. I can't see there being much more evidence of your research performance that one could provide over the other. You need to personally decide who is better capable of attesting to your research efforts and will be a better writer for you. Also, think about the politics of their work dynamic.

:idea: I suppose you could ask them to compose a letter together, and sign off on it together? I think that would be a great way to minimize the redundancy (which the readers on CCLCM's end who probably appreciate), and furthermore, there would be two sets of eyes reviewing what is produced. I suspect it could be an excellent LOR, if done right. :D

Ahhh well...so, my understanding of committee letters is limited, and I think your generalization is correct, but I also had the option of sending out the letters that were excerpted into the committee letter, or just letting them stay out of the picture.

I thought I'd check to make sure I technically met requirements - I'm pretty sure I'm all set. Thanks for being patient with my ramblings! My neurosis is just settling in more fully now that I'm actually doing secondaries for some schools. :oops:

Case looked good before, but wow, this thread is like verification that Case must be a phenomenal school. Thanks a lot to all the students and former students for sharing so much useful info. Auriga, your story is especially inspiring! Gives me hope that my own funky non-trad story might just get me somewhere too.

Good luck to everyone!

This thread is impressive:thumbup: And hilarious at times.

Anyway, a few questions:

After poking around on the Case website, I didn't see a class profile. Does anyone know the stats for matriculants? (I saw the accepted stats in the MSAR)

Also, I have heard people say that their medical school was family friendly i.e. supportive of medical students being married, having kids, etc. Anyone have input about Case?

[ETA: I found the class profile, but it didn't say average stats for matriculants]

Last edited:
c'mon guys... what is this thread doing on the 2nd page? Mildy disappointing... just sayin'.

Anyways, I've seen a few things mentioned on SDN and elsewhere about 3rd year/hospital culture recently. It seems like depression/hating life is "not uncommon" for 3rd years at some hospitals/rotations. I don't have any experience in teaching hospitals so I have no personal experience seeing these kinds of attitudes portrayed. Can anyone here (CCLCMer maybe?) comment on the quality of 3rd year rotations at University, the Clinic & other places? A few questions to perhaps help:

What kinds of things do you do as a 3rd/4th year? In addition to rounding, do you do any "hands on" patient care work like placing IV's, etc.? What is considered "scut" vs normal duties for 3rd/4th years?

In general, what were the attitudes of house staff and attendings like? Highly variable, or consistent across the board? Respectful or dismissive? Willing to teach? What is the culture like?

Do you get along with the ancillary staff well? Are a lot of them disgruntled/unwilling to help or are they professional in their interactions with you? Maybe this is too variable comment generally on.

What were your favorite/least favorite rotations, where, and why?

How well do you feel the 3rd/4th year rotations prepared you for internship and residency?

If you did any away rotations, did you notice any difference between the culture at the places you rotated and the Clinic/University/Metro/etc?

I guess that's it for now. Would be glad to see your comments if/when you have time :)

Anyway, a few questions:

After poking around on the Case website, I didn't see a class profile. Does anyone know the stats for matriculants? (I saw the accepted stats in the MSAR)

Also, I have heard people say that their medical school was family friendly i.e. supportive of medical students being married, having kids, etc. Anyone have input about Case?

[ETA: I found the class profile, but it didn't say average stats for matriculants]

Average MCAT Biology: 12.00
Average MCAT Physical: 12.00
Average MCAT Verbal: 11.00
Average MCAT Essay: Q
Average UGrad GPA: 3.74
Source: Princetonreview.com

c'mon guys... what is this thread doing on the 2nd page? Mildy disappointing... just sayin'.

Anyways, I've seen a few things mentioned on SDN and elsewhere about 3rd year/hospital culture recently. It seems like depression/hating life is "not uncommon" for 3rd years at some hospitals/rotations. I don't have any experience in teaching hospitals so I have no personal experience seeing these kinds of attitudes portrayed. Can anyone here (CCLCMer maybe?) comment on the quality of 3rd year rotations at University, the Clinic & other places? A few questions to perhaps help:

What kinds of things do you do as a 3rd/4th year? In addition to rounding, do you do any "hands on" patient care work like placing IV's, etc.? What is considered "scut" vs normal duties for 3rd/4th years?

In general, what were the attitudes of house staff and attendings like? Highly variable, or consistent across the board? Respectful or dismissive? Willing to teach? What is the culture like?

Do you get along with the ancillary staff well? Are a lot of them disgruntled/unwilling to help or are they professional in their interactions with you? Maybe this is too variable comment generally on.

What were your favorite/least favorite rotations, where, and why?

How well do you feel the 3rd/4th year rotations prepared you for internship and residency?

If you did any away rotations, did you notice any difference between the culture at the places you rotated and the Clinic/University/Metro/etc?
A lot of this varies greatly. I'll let you know how things are going in a week or so.:)

Hmm... that doesn't sound like recent data. The incoming first years will get a presentation with matriculant info, so maybe 0kazak1 will post it for you.

Last edited:
bucks, you are asking good questions, and it's very smart of you to be thinking about clinical stuff at your stage in the game. I mean no disrespect, but I am working 12-16 hour days, and I'm just not up to the task of writing a whole book right now, which is about how long it would take me to answer your questions. So, how about if I answer one question for now and we can do the rest another time. :hungover:

What kinds of things do you do as a 3rd/4th year?
At all American med schools, you will spend your third year doing the core rotations. (For CCLCM, third year rotations can be done during the fourth year of the program if you do your research year between your second and third years of med school.) Mandatory core rotations at all schools include pediatrics, OB/gyn, internal medicine, surgery, and psychiatry at minimum. Some schools also have mandatory third year rotations in neurology, family medicine, geriatrics, and/or emergency medicine. (Case requires all four of these.) Rotations last anywhere from four to eight weeks at most schools. Case's rotations run from four to six weeks. They are organized into three "cores," which are groups of rotations that must be taken together in a block. The cores are different now than when I took them, but one core is psych and neuro for eight weeks. I think that OB/gyn and peds are still together, as are surgery and medicine. Family med was with surgery/IM when I went through, but it has now been moved into the same core block with OB/gyn and peds. There are also two "advanced cores," which are geriatrics and EM. These are standalone rotations that each last for four weeks.

What you do depends very much on the rotation. Some rotations tend to be more hands-on than others, and it also depends on the team you're on, the hospital you're at, whether it's inpatient or outpatient, and even your gender sometimes. (A lot of male students don't get to do nearly as much on OB/gyn as the female students do because the patients aren't always willing to allow a guy in the room.) In general, outpatient rotations run on an 8-5 kind of schedule. You go to clinic each day, see patients, present them to the attending, and write notes. Your evenings and weekends are typically free. (No call.) These tend to be easier rotations.

Inpatient rotations tend to run closer to the 80 hour workweek limit for IM, peds, OB/gyn, and surgery. (Technically, the 80 hour workweek rule only applies to residents, but Case and CCF also apply it to medical students.) I found neuro and psych to be a bit easier, with neuro around 60 hours/week and psych more like 40. On inpatient rotations, you are generally assigned a few patients to follow. Usually two or three at a time is the norm for an MS3. You go in early, round on your patients, write notes, and then round again with the team. On surgery, rounds are very quick and you're in the OR by 7:30 or so. On IM, you will probably round all morning (and if you get an especially sadistic attending, into the afternoon as well). Peds is pretty similar to IM schedule-wise. Gyn is pretty similar to surgery. OB goes by 12 hour shifts, and it's kind of a medicine-surgery hybrid since you assist with C-sections along with vaginal deliveries. On IM, we took Q4 (every four days) call with the team. We had to do Q4 30 hour call, which sucked hard, but I don't know if the current MS3s have to since the residency work hour rules changed again this year. Surgery also had overnight call, but just 24 hours and Q7 (once a week). Peds, neuro, and psych had short call, where you went home like at 10 or 11 PM. A lot of the residents would send us home even earlier than that for those three specialties.

On Friday mornings, we always have didactics just for the medical students. This is true no matter which site a student is rotating at. Also, most departments have their own conferences that you will attend while you're rotating through that specialty. My experience was that the more "cerebral" specialties like IM and neuro had a lot more conferences than the surgical specialties. There are also shelf exams at the end of each block. These are multiple choice tests with questions in the style of Step 2CK of the USMLE. Each specialty has its own shelf. For UP students, the shelfs are required, and the scores count toward their rotation grade. For CCLCM students, the shelfs are optional, and even if we take them, they don't count toward our grades. But a lot of us take them anyway, because they're good practice for Step 2.

Fourth year, there is a lot more variety among medical schools. At Case, we are required to do two "acting internships." One of these must be in IM, peds, or surgery, even if you are not going into one of those specialties. The other can be in any clinical specialty (so, not path or rads). AIs last four weeks each and are the most intense rotations of all, since the purpose of them is for you to attempt to function like an intern. You carry more patients than you did as a third year, and you do more advanced things like help dispo the patients (figure out what needs to be done before you can get them out of the hospital, when they can go, etc.). One AI must be done at one of the Case hospital affiliates, while the other can be done as an away rotation at another institution. You can also do extra AIs if you want, and some students do.

The rest of the year is elective time (and of course residency apps and interviews). Case has a required "area of concentration," which is pretty loosely defined as a plan of rotations (both clinical and nonclinical) that are related to one another. You create a plan during your third year, but it is very flexible, and most people, including me, change them over time. Most electives are relatively cush, with short hours and no call. Again, duties vary depending on what you're doing.

If you are a UP student, you will also be doing a research block for four months. Since the UP finishes their second year in March, some of them do their research then. Others start on rotations in March of second year and then do research later after finishing some or all of their rotations.

That's about all I can think of right now. Hope it helps give you a general idea. Like I said, a lot of what we do is similar to what other schools do, because all LCME-accredited schools are required to provide a similar set of third year rotations, and a certain number of elective weeks. For a more day-to-day view, you can read the last eight months or so of my blog. I got most of the way through my third year, so it will give you an idea of what those rotations are like.

Last edited:
If you are a UP student, you will also be doing a research block for four months. Since the UP finishes their second year in March, some of them do their research then. Others start on rotations in March of second year and then do research later after finishing some or all of their rotations.

I just wanted to add that the scheduling for research blocks has become more flexible of late. You don't have to do a solid four-month run.:thumbup:

Anyway, a few questions:

Sorry...busy time IRL for many of us on the thread! I assume you want the UP take on family? If you want CP, I promise to respond when I get wifi set up at my new place this weekend.

Sorry...busy time IRL for many of us on the thread! I assume you want the UP take on family? If you want CP, I promise to respond when I get wifi set up at my new place this weekend.

Hey, no problem:)
Yes, I am interested in the UP take mainly. Thanks for clarifying

Hey, no problem:)
Yes, I am interested in the UP take mainly. Thanks for clarifying

OK, we will scrounge up somebody to answer your question(s). I think Myuu can talk about time commitments first and second year in a general fashion...when she has a moment!

Sweet! I'd love to get some input on the UP as well. (Hearing about the CP is inspiring and all, and I'd love to think I could apply there... but the last time I spent substantial time in a lab or doing research was a decade and half ago at the end of high school. :laugh:)

OK, we will scrounge up somebody to answer your question(s). I think Myuu can talk about time commitments first and second year in a general fashion...when she has a moment!

A lot of this varies greatly. I'll let you know how things are going in a week or so.:)

Hmm... that doesn't sound like recent data. The incoming first years will get a presentation with matriculant info, so maybe 0kazak1 will post it for you.

Okay will do... Orientation is in a few days, and according to the MSAR (off teh top of my head now) average MCAt is a 35-36 I think 12-11-12Q and gpa is a 3.8-3.9 but I get more concise info when i get it.

EDIT:

Didn't even see this, but this sounds apprimatley right. (But is it for acceptees or matriculants) I'll get more info about matriculants later.

wow, those numbers are pretty intimidating. does anybody know if the numbers are generally different for the cp vs the up or are they pretty similar?

wow, those numbers are pretty intimidating. does anybody know if the numbers are generally different for the cp vs the up or are they pretty similar?

There should be a game show called IntimiDating.

As to your question I have no idea.

I would think cp is even higher given the fact that they so few slots to fill. But the numbers are pretty stellar for both. A progressive and state of the art program(not to mention a really fun sdn thread;)) is going to attract the best of the best.

But like they say, you can't win the race if you don't enter!:luck:

I would think cp is even higher given the fact that they so few slots to fill. But the numbers are pretty stellar for both. A progressive and state of the art program(not to mention a really fun sdn thread;)) is going to attract the best of the best.

When I interviewed for the CP progam IIRC it seemed to be that the avg is at most as high as the UG program if not slightly lower because they have a very wide range in scores and GPA, but remember the program is small so one low-ish score can drag the avg down. But, the seem to focus on extracurriculars (esp research) and fuse independence with teamwork (its kinda confusing but if you hear how they explain it it makes sense). Maube CCLCMer or vc7777 can help explain further.

Definitely gonna enter. The CP is my number one choice right now and UP is probably number 2. Gonna be tough, especially CP with so few spots, but both programs are very highly ranked and seem awesome from all the comments so that's no surprise.

I just wanna go here soooo bad

Status
Not open for further replies.