2011-2012 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interviewing on September 30th that would want to share a hotel room? PM me

Members don't see this ad.

So, my MCAT scores just got downloaded last week, and I received the secondary (already ahead of the game from last year).

Quick question about LOR: I'm submitting letters through AMCAS, but they ask about letters from the committee and my graduate advisor. My graduate advisor wrote a letter to my committee, and she will not be submitting one to the schools I'm applying to.

Will EVMS be looking for letters from these people?

Are these questions I should be asking them directly over the phone?

Thanks for your help, guys. Good luck on your interviews.

So, my MCAT scores just got downloaded last week, and I received the secondary (already ahead of the game from last year).

Quick question about LOR: I'm submitting letters through AMCAS, but they ask about letters from the committee and my graduate advisor. My graduate advisor wrote a letter to my committee, and she will not be submitting one to the schools I'm applying to.

Will EVMS be looking for letters from these people?

Are these questions I should be asking them directly over the phone?

Thanks for your help, guys. Good luck on your interviews.

The pre-med program at my undergrad school uploaded my "committee packet" which included 4 letters, which were used the write the committee letter. My understanding is that the whole packet was uploaded to AMCAS as one file, with the committee letter on top and the other letters to supplement. This is probably how your pre-med advisor will (and should) load the letters to AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
The pre-med program at my undergrad school uploaded my "committee packet" which included 4 letters, which were used the write the committee letter. My understanding is that the whole packet was uploaded to AMCAS as one file, with the committee letter on top and the other letters to supplement. This is probably how your pre-med advisor will (and should) load the letters to AMCAS.

That's what I'm expecting, and what has already been done, but the secondary asks about letters from the committee and from the advisor of my graduate program (included in the packet, as far as I know). Just curious why I would have to list them separately.

It's not that big a deal, I just don't want to hold my review up any more than necessary.

Thanks for the info, though. I'm just going to roll with it, and submit this afternoon. :xf: everyone!

That's what I'm expecting, and what has already been done, but the secondary asks about letters from the committee and from the advisor of my graduate program (included in the packet, as far as I know). Just curious why I would have to list them separately.

It's not that big a deal, I just don't want to hold my review up any more than necessary.

Thanks for the info, though. I'm just going to roll with it, and submit this afternoon. :xf: everyone!

Yea, I just listed them all. I guess it's just a reference point for them when looking over apps at a glance. Then again, I've been complete for a month and am still waiting for an update... so maybe I'm not the best person to answer!

Their screening really makes no sense to me. According to MSAR, their stats range (10-90% is as follows): science gpa ranges from 3.06-3.91, cum gpa 3.26-3.92 (about). MCAT from 28-32. Students HAVE BEEN accepted with these stats in the past. More importantly, about 10% of their accepted students had even lower stats than what I quoted above.

how do you come to the conclusion about the 10% of applicants with lower stats than that stated in the MSAR being accepted?

Um, so I just noticed that they have one of those "30 days from the time you received this email" deadlines, and I'm way past it. I called up the admissions office today, and the lady was like, doesn't matter, you can still submit, but is this just because they want my secondary fee, or will they actually still look at my app?

Hey everyone! Congrats on the IIs and good luck to everyone!

I had a quick question, I was recently put on hold at EVMS. It was a "GRADE HOLD" according to their email, which is completely understandable since I am currently in an SMP at Tufts.

I was just wondering if anyone this year or last got this status and what it meant. Does it mean they like me and are just waiting to see I've done well in the program? Is it just a Hold like any other school (like GW where it's not a good sign)? or does it basically mean they saw my folder really quickly, passed me by after seeing that I'm in the SMP and are waiting till my grades are sent over for any consideration whatsoever?

Just hoping to clarify the status. Thanks for the help and again, good luck to everyone this cycle!

Hi guys, if I'm past the deadline of 30 days, I'm on my 36 th day, do you think its not allowed or should I try anyways? I can still access my secondary app.....how strict is the 30 day deadline?

Hi guys, if I'm past the deadline of 30 days, I'm on my 36 th day, do you think its not allowed or should I try anyways? I can still access my secondary app.....how strict is the 30 day deadline?

I'd e-mail the school and ask. They know best.

Hey guys if anyone is interviewing 10/19 and would like to share a hotel room (females) PM me :)

Btw people who have already interviewed, what was the interview day like and how was a panel interview? All my other interviews have been one-on-one so I'm a little nervous about being interviewed by 2-3 people at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is quite bizarre...
My application for UVa was complete in mid-August, and I recieved an interview invite 10 days later. My application for EVMS has been complete since Aug. 18, and have not heard anything yet.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
BTW, I am in instate (from Hampton Roads)

Decelerate the exact same thing happened to me...not sure what's going on with EVMS but they were the first secondary I submitted and I haven't heard anything since I was marked complete on July 19th...I was complete at UVA at the end of August and invited to interview a few weeks later

Decelerate the exact same thing happened to me...not sure what's going on with EVMS but they were the first secondary I submitted and I haven't heard anything since I was marked complete on July 19th...I was complete at UVA at the end of August and invited to interview a few weeks later

Are you instate?
Since they have obviously started interviews, I am a bit worried that EVMS might be screening out people with stats significantly above their median

Hey,

The panel is pretty good. Seems like most often it's 2 rather than 3 in the panel. Personally, they asked me a lot more questions about medically related topics rather than personally related topics. Just FYI. Good luck!

I would like to learn more about this school. Can people who currently attend share their experiences and thoughts on the school? Are you happy here? How is the education? What is the class schedule like? The testing schedule/format? How are the facilities and new building? Anything else that you might think is useful. Thanks a lot

to fellow IS students: did you have to send in your residency info before you were complete?

to fellow IS students: did you have to send in your residency info before you were complete?
I believe so....I got an email requesting residency info and I haven't gotten a complete email yet.

I've been complete since 8/16 and haven't hear anything yet. Should I call?

I've been complete since 8/16 and haven't hear anything yet. Should I call?

I was complete on 8/31 and haven't heard anything. Anyone know how Eastern Virginia admissions responds to phone calls for status checks? I would guess since they don't have a status site that they would receive a lot of them

OOS completed my secondary application on Sept. 25. Still have not received a complete email. How long does it take?

Pretty quiet here, no?

Does anyone know when EVMS sends out the next round of interview invites? I really like this school, and would love to interview here! :luck:

First interview, 9/16, first post interview rejection.:(

bump, anyone know when you received a complete email after submitting the secondary?

bump, anyone know when you received a complete email after submitting the secondary?

I was complete about four days after submitting my secondary. This was in early august though

Just interviewed here recently and thought I would share some insight with my the group. The school first is large lots of hospitals, big medical center its really a big part of the community. They arent a big research powerhouse right now, but I definitely got the feeling from the interview day that it is something they are working on and willing to support students with. (clinical research).

Interview is laid back, I noticed a score sheet in front of my interviewer, and i asked a student/friend of mine who explained it to me. Theres a 40 point scale, you get 10 points from you MCAT 10 points for you GPA and 10 points for activities/personal statement and then 10 points for interview impressions. Not sure how they use the points to assign admissions but thats part of how it works.

Good luck to future interviewees!

I called in today and found out I was waitlisted. Any ideas about how many people made it off the out of state waitlist last year?

I still haven't gotten a complete email. All of my materials were submitted mid-August. Is anyone in the same boat?
Guess I'll have to call them again.

interviewed recently. a lot of people that go there were accepted off of the waitlist. interesting interview...

just gave up my early nov. interview spot, hopefully it will go to one of you guys waiting for an invite!

I called in today and found out I was waitlisted. Any ideas about how many people made it off the out of state waitlist last year?

Ahh anxious to call but I'm a bit scared to find out if I'm rejected

how long did people wait for a response/interview invite post completion? (you OOSers, that is)

I received a waitlist letter in the mail. Interviewed 9/28. I'm going to call on Monday to find out more information about the waitlist process and what to do from here; I'm really interested in this school. For the waitlisted poster above: I recommend reading last year's thread and the EVMS waitlist thread (I'm on my phone or I'd link here!). It looks like there is usually decent movement in the OOS waitlist.

Nope, I saw that brotheramos called on Friday afternoon, so I did the same and the admissions staff told me up front. (I didn't say anything yesterday because I know about the Oct 15th traffic rules).

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! :luck:

ooh thats sly..heh still afraid to call though. I don't know how I would respond with a rejection quite yet. So it seems that they will mail out decisions?

Yay! I called and I was told I will be receiving an interview :eek:

Does anyone know when the invitations go out? Seems like it's been a while!

Yay! I called and I was told I will be receiving an interview :eek:

Does anyone know when the invitations go out? Seems like it's been a while!

I was told the same thing when I called last week, and I have yet to get that invite... :/

Called and (very nervously asked) today...

ACCEPTED!!! :)))

I can officially say that I am going to medical school now!

Good luck everyone else!

I'm IS BTW

Called and (very nervously asked) today...

ACCEPTED!!! :)))

I can officially say that I am going to medical school now!

Good luck everyone else!

I'm IS BTW

Congrats! Waitlisted upper 1/3 for me. keeping my fingers crossed for everywhere else

Congrats! Waitlisted upper 1/3 for me. keeping my fingers crossed for everywhere else

Same here (waitlisted upper 1/3) -- I think we interviewed on the same day, btw. As I said before, the waitlist, especially as OOS, is definitely not a bad place to be. Congrats everyone on the acceptances :)

Last edited:
Same here (waitlisted upper 1/3) -- I think we interviewed on the same day, btw. As I said before, the waitlist, especially as OOS, is definitely not a bad place to be. Congrats everyone on the acceptances :)

i think so too! and we had the same people interview us. no love for Uwisconsin graduates i suppose

..so I tried to weasle my way into asking for the post-interview decision via email, but they requested I called in instead. One phone call later..acceptance!!

I was a bit too happy to ask how the deposit would work. I won't be home to pick up the mail until next month. Can someone fill me in on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.