2011-2012 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if there's been a facebook page setup for the class of 2016?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be flying out the evening after my interview. Does the EVMS office have a place for us to hold our luggage?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be flying out the evening after my interview. Does the EVMS office have a place for us to hold our luggage?

Thanks!

Bring your luggage with you to EVMS that morning. At 10am(ish) someone from the Admissions Office will come ask if anyone has any bags and they will hold it for you during the day

evms has panel interviews??

that seems kinda intimidating.

evms has panel interviews??

that seems kinda intimidating.

It can be. I only had 2 interviewers; student and a physician (you don't know who is on the adcomm). The physician asked about 90% of the questions.. nearly all of them ethical, and the student asked questions about my application.

I had 3 interviewers (as did everyone else on my interview day), but one of them did the majority of the talking. I believe only one of them is on the AdCom, and for me it was pretty obvious who it was. Though it was my first interview and I was crazy nervous, the panel interview wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. For what it's worth, you sit at the head of a long table with people on either side of you -- I had imagined facing 3 people who were on the other side of a desk facing me, which would have been scarier. :)

lol i would throw up instantly if they went back and forth questioning me..how did you prepare for the ethical questions? premeds don't really have training in ethics...

do you recommend any books or online sources?

thanks,

lol i would throw up instantly if they went back and forth questioning me..how did you prepare for the ethical questions? premeds don't really have training in ethics...

do you recommend any books or online sources?

thanks,

I recommend reading the interview feedback section of the site as it has some recommendations for ethics questions.

premeds don't really have training in ethics...

I have a serious issue with that statement. Ethics is branch of philosophy and philosophy is not "training." The word "training" is, IMHO, appropriate only for "ars technica" - you cannot be trained in life or philosophy. You can learn to think better, you can learn and create a model of reality, but a system of ethical principles is something people should have developed by the time they apply to medical school. Perhaps it's a comment on the so-called "liberal" education of today, but a college graduate 90 years ago would have had plenty of "training in ethics."

And as for the panel interview, don't sweat it - just stand your ground and breath from the abdomen. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know." Especially when they ask you for the dates of the Franco-Prussian War. I know, I know, I'm embarrassed that I blanked on that one (1870-71, in case you get the same question).

I was accepted earlier this month, OOS, and just gave up my spot in the entering class so hopefully it goes to one of you. Best of luck everyone!

I had 3 interviewers (as did everyone else on my interview day), but one of them did the majority of the talking. I believe only one of them is on the AdCom, and for me it was pretty obvious who it was. Though it was my first interview and I was crazy nervous, the panel interview wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. For what it's worth, you sit at the head of a long table with people on either side of you -- I had imagined facing 3 people who were on the other side of a desk facing me, which would have been scarier. :)

I had three interviewers too, but none were students. Two of them did the most talking (even interrupting one another at times...sorta weird). Wasn't overly stressful, but at that point I had already done one panel interview at my state school so it wasn't new.

My Adcom member identified himself as such towards the end of my interview. Is that normal?

Oh, and as an update:
Complete 8/6, interview invite 9/8, interview 10/19, waitlisted 10/28. 3.5/31, OOS.

Last edited:
For those who have received admissions decisions, how soon after the interview did you call? The turnaround time seems to vary from a few days to several weeks. Did you have to call several times? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an oos invite scheduled for 12/2. Complete about a month ago, called last week and was told I had an interview and got the email today.

Stats- 2.99 cGPA (undergrad-not a typo), 4.0 SMP gpa, 31 mcat

For those who have received admissions decisions, how soon after the interview did you call? The turnaround time seems to vary from a few days to several weeks. Did you have to call several times? Thanks.

On my interview day we were told we could call within 2-3 weeks, and I received my snail mail waitlist letter within that time frame.

Interviewing on 11/9.... booked a hotel but it was a little expensive ($119.) Any females interested in splitting, PM me :)

Rejected today

OOS; 3.82 cGPA; 3.88 sGPA; 30Q MCAT

Good luck to everyone else!

Can anyone comment on the curriculum here at EVMS. lecture or PBL? I was reading MSAR and it seems like is lecture based but there is weekly group discussion.

Thanks a lot. :)

Can anyone comment on the curriculum here at EVMS. lecture or PBL? I was reading MSAR and it seems like is lecture based but there is weekly group discussion.

Thanks a lot. :)

The curriculum seemed to be mostly lecture-based/traditional, there wasn't any mention of a PBL component.

Accepted by phone last week and waiting anxiously for the official offer package!

how do OOS students pay for the total cost of attendance? I don't believe federal loans will cover nearly enough.

The curriculum seemed to be mostly lecture-based/traditional, there wasn't any mention of a PBL component.

Accepted by phone last week and waiting anxiously for the official offer package!

Thanks man and congrats. I have been preparing for the interview (ethics questions and healthcare). Do you have any interview tips or other unusual questions that you had? thanks man

Thanks man and congrats. I have been preparing for the interview (ethics questions and healthcare). Do you have any interview tips or other unusual questions that you had? thanks man

Thanks, I was surprisingly impressed with EVMS's program and facilities. My student tour guide told us straight up that this would probably our hardest MD interview but this is highly dependent on your interviewers. My interview, while intense, was really enjoyable and I walked away with my passion for medicine reaffirmed. I think they try to match applicants with at least one interviewer who shares their background/interests and my interviewers were just lovely. They'll put you on the spot to see how you react, to gauge your thought process and intentions. The ethical dilemma was fairly straightforward and again there's not right or wrong answer, just be thoughtful. Try to incorporate examples or anecdotes whenever possible. Good luck!

congrats! when did you interview?

Thanks, I was surprisingly impressed with EVMS's program and facilities. My student tour guide told us straight up that this would probably our hardest MD interview but this is highly dependent on your interviewers. My interview, while intense, was really enjoyable and I walked away with my passion for medicine reaffirmed. I think they try to match applicants with at least one interviewer who shares their background/interests and my interviewers were just lovely. They'll put you on the spot to see how you react, to gauge your thought process and intentions. The ethical dilemma was fairly straightforward and again there's not right or wrong answer, just be thoughtful. Try to incorporate examples or anecdotes whenever possible. Good luck!

a lot of this is definitely true. they are tough but i think it's because they want to test your resolve. you just need to stand your ground and hold to your beliefs. my ethical question had to do with the underage patient, and everything they threw at me, i basically said i wouldn't tell the parents even though it started to get tougher for me to say it toward the end. eventually i sort of caved a little (by saying i'd encourage her to tell her parents) but they were impressed that i kept to my position. my interviewers at least were pretty obvious in their "feedback" because they'd sort of reply to my replies.

i think you should just be prepared for anything. they told us before we even went into interview that we'd for sure get asked about us healthcare + an ethical scenario. i also got a really tough question about one part of my app (the what i would like least about medicine question).

i loved the people i interviewed with, though, and the interview day is pretty great (LOVED interacting with the standardized patient!)

a lot of this is definitely true. they are tough but i think it's because they want to test your resolve. you just need to stand your ground and hold to your beliefs. my ethical question had to do with the underage patient, and everything they threw at me, i basically said i wouldn't tell the parents even though it started to get tougher for me to say it toward the end. eventually i sort of caved a little (by saying i'd encourage her to tell her parents) but they were impressed that i kept to my position. my interviewers at least were pretty obvious in their "feedback" because they'd sort of reply to my replies.

i think you should just be prepared for anything. they told us before we even went into interview that we'd for sure get asked about us healthcare + an ethical scenario. i also got a really tough question about one part of my app (the what i would like least about medicine question).

i loved the people i interviewed with, though, and the interview day is pretty great (LOVED interacting with the standardized patient!)

Thanks guys. Yea I'm going over the ethics questions on UofW and healthcare question. I will tell you guys on friday about my interview.

Agreed. If you get the chance to interact with the standerized patient do so!

Thanks, I was surprisingly impressed with EVMS's program and facilities. My student tour guide told us straight up that this would probably our hardest MD interview but this is highly dependent on your interviewers. My interview, while intense, was really enjoyable and I walked away with my passion for medicine reaffirmed.

I had the same experience. I remember the ethical questions being hard and making me think for a bit, but for a couple of reasons I think this is my most memorable interview. Loved it!

found out recently that I was put on the top 1/3 of the waitlist :(

My interview went really well but I'm kind of bummed out. Does anyone know how we can get off the list? Letters of intent and interest?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm OOS

Any interviewees from 11/6 hear any news yet? Still waaaiiiiitiiinggggg...............

hi guys.
how did you apporach the "why evms" question?
I am on their website and i am not finding anything interesting about this school.
also, how are you approaching the 10 years from now question? I said i see myself as a surgeon but I see that they say "primary care" a lot on their website. So should i lie and say I am interested in primary care?

hi guys.
how did you apporach the "why evms" question?
I am on their website and i am not finding anything interesting about this school.
also, how are you approaching the 10 years from now question? I said i see myself as a surgeon but I see that they say "primary care" a lot on their website. So should i lie and say I am interested in primary care?

The website also says integrity is important, so which one is more important?

if you can't answer the why evms, then why are you applying?

i know they care a lot about primary care, but i have surgical interests and i talked about it on my secondary. it was fine enough that i got an interview invite and they asked about it rather pleasantly at my interview too.

hi guys, please don't take this "lying" thing too personally...we all know how much these "why this school" questions suck...how much time they take...If i were to answer the question with integrity, I would say "I don't care about you school, I am applying to a bunch of schools, and evms just happens to be one of them." but that obviously will get me rejected.

hi guys, please don't take this "lying" thing too personally...we all know how much these "why this school" questions suck...how much time they take...If i were to answer the question with integrity, I would say "I don't care about you school, I am applying to a bunch of schools, and evms just happens to be one of them." but that obviously will get me rejected.

I focused on the school's mission and expanded on how that fits with what I expect to get out of my medical training and the kind of doctor I want to be.

Interview invite today!

Submitted 8/27
Complete 10/24

OOS, cGPA: 3.3, sGPA: 3.0, grad GPA: 3.8, 30R

Nervous for the panel interview... but thanks for those who provided insight!

& good luck to everyone :luck:

The panel interview is NBD. Everyone in my panel was really nice, and they have you all sitting around a table, instead of the three of them staring you down. For me, it was blatantly obvious which one was the adcom member. The questions were extremely straightforward ethical scenarios. I would recommend studying up on the hippocratic oath and the AMA code of ethics so you can refer to something concrete. They definitely don't try to stump you though.

Incidentally, any 11/6 folks hear back? I'm staring to go stir-crazy here.

I interviewed on 11/11 and called yesterday- they hadn't made a decision yet since the committee hadn't met. They said theyll probably meet and decide this week.

I just called this afternoon -- I've been accepted! OOS, interviewed on 11/9

congrats!! you're ballsy. i interviewed with epsilon and i'm too scared to call... will just wait for the mail ;_;

You gotta call guys!! I just held my breath and made myself, annnndddd...*drumroll please*.....ACCEPTED!!!:love: Yaaaaaaaay! My brain is going in 50,000 different directions! So relieved....trying not to jump the gun though, eventually I'm going to have to sit down, think rationally and make an informed decision like a real grown-up.

.....but, not today. :D

You gotta call guys!! I just held my breath and made myself, annnndddd...*drumroll please*.....ACCEPTED!!!:love: Yaaaaaaaay! My brain is going in 50,000 different directions! So relieved....trying not to jump the gun though, eventually I'm going to have to sit down, think rationally and make an informed decision like a real grown-up.

.....but, not today. :D

You said you interviewed on 11/6? A Sunday? I thought they only interviewed Wednesdays and Fridays?

btw CONGRATS!

Hey all,

I've been accepted to USUHS and a top choice in-state school, so I have withdrawn my application from EVMS. I had an interview scheduled for 12/14 ( which I just canceled) so if anyone wants that date, it's available!!

Good luck everyone!!!

yah i think she means 11/9. i just called... waitlisted upper third for me :(

yah i think she means 11/9. i just called... waitlisted upper third for me :(

LOL Yes I did mean 11/9. I don't know why I keep saying 11/6! Aw, sorry about the WL, but it seems like they see a lot of WL movement. I think one of the tour guides said he got in off the WL. Have you heard back from Einstein or anywhere else yet?

no i haven't. =\ but congrats to you!!! you have two acceptances, yay! good luck in your decision :)

Status
Not open for further replies.