2011-2012 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know an approximate date for when UWSOM would start? Is it Sept. 24th like the rest of the university or does the SOM meet earlier for orientation, etc.? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know an approximate date for when UWSOM would start? Is it Sept. 24th like the rest of the university or does the SOM meet earlier for orientation, etc.? Thanks!

First-Year Orientation 2012
The dates for Orientation and the first day of class for the Class of 2012 will be listed as confirmed by each regional site. Attendance to Orientation is mandatory. All 2012 students that have been assigned to WWAMI Regional locations will find a survey link here to complete in the May/June timeframe.

Wyoming: TBD
Spokane: TBD
WSU-Pullman: TBD
UI-Idaho: TBD
Alaska: TBD
Montana: TBD
Seattle: August 27th -August 31st; Classes begin September 4, 2012

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...n-and-policies/Orientation/Pages/default.aspx

First-Year Orientation 2012
The dates for Orientation and the first day of class for the Class of 2012 will be listed as confirmed by each regional site. Attendance to Orientation is mandatory. All 2012 students that have been assigned to WWAMI Regional locations will find a survey link here to complete in the May/June timeframe.

Wyoming: TBD
Spokane: TBD
WSU-Pullman: TBD
UI-Idaho: TBD
Alaska: TBD
Montana: TBD
Seattle: August 27th -August 31st; Classes begin September 4, 2012

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...n-and-policies/Orientation/Pages/default.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same exact boat - only med school that I applied to, and I already have a PhD from UW. Got positive feedback during the interview... Very disappointed with the result :( Didn't get any specific reasons for the rejection in the e-mail. The worst part is that now I'm not sure if they will ever take me, however hard I try. Very disheartening.

It seems there are a lot of folks that applied only to UW. I don't understand. Why apply to only one school? That is tempting fate quite a bit. There are a lot of great med schools and great places to live all over the country.

It seems there are a lot of folks that applied only to UW. I don't understand. Why apply to only one school? That is tempting fate quite a bit. There are a lot of great med schools and great places to live all over the country.

Relocation is not an option for some people due to family, spouse jobs or other circumstances. Some people would rather wait a year or two and reapply than go to a school in a different state.

Relocation is not an option for some people due to family, spouse jobs or other circumstances. Some people would rather wait a year or two and reapply than go to a school in a different state.

Not to mention the financial burden of applying as well

I think applying to one specific school vs. going anywhere would be perceived very differently by applicants applying straight out of college or a few years out compared to older applicants. When I went to grad school I moved here all the way from Europe and at the time I literally applied to schools all over the US. I now have my life set up here and my network of friends is really important for me to stay sane (plus I have ties to various organizations). I think that going to medical school is challenging enough, and if on top of that you have little support around you and you are dealing with starting a new life again, then it would be even more difficult. Not to mention the difference in tuition at private schools or for OOS applicants :eek:

Well, plus I have this whole other issue of having my undergraduate degree from a foreign university, which apparently is an insurmountable problem when it comes to medical schools. I was hoping that UW would look at my application favorably given that I have an advanced degree from this school (and it seems like they did, but maybe something else wasn't right). Doing a post-bac or taking science classes that I already took at my alma mater just to get an American grade doesn't make sense in my mind... Curious if anyone has additional perspectives on this.

Last edited:
I think applying to one specific school vs. going anywhere would be perceived very differently by applicants applying straight out of college or a few years out compared to older applicants. When I went to grad school I moved here all the way from Europe and at the time I literally applied to schools all over the US. I now have my life set up here and my network of friends is really important for me to stay sane (plus I have ties to various organizations). I think that going to medical school is challenging enough, and if on top of that you have little support around you and you are dealing with starting a new life again, then it would be even more difficult. Not to mention the difference in tuition at private schools or for OOS applicants :eek:

As an older nontraditional applicant myself, I can totally understand having roots and not wanting to leave that support network. However, given the reality of medical school admissions and the sheer number of qualified people applying these days, it simply may not be an option to stay near your hometown.

Also, keep in mind that many OOS schools will extend residency privileges after the first year, making it a lot less expensive than it would appear at first to go out of state. Just some thoughts. I applied near my hometown and did not get in locally. Although I am waitlisted for one in-state school, I will most likely be moving across the country to attend medical school this year. It is a sacrifice to give up familiar people and places but you can always make new friends wherever you go.

For those who are married with kids, on the other hand, I could not imagine pulling them out of school and moving the whole family. Hats off to anyone who can pull that off.

As an older nontraditional applicant myself, I can totally understand having roots and not wanting to leave that support network. However, given the reality of medical school admissions and the sheer number of qualified people applying these days, it simply may not be an option to stay near your hometown.

Also, keep in mind that many OOS schools will extend residency privileges after the first year, making it a lot less expensive than it would appear at first to go out of state. Just some thoughts. I applied near my hometown and did not get in locally. Although I am waitlisted for one in-state school, I will most likely be moving across the country to attend medical school this year. It is a sacrifice to give up familiar people and places but you can always make new friends wherever you go.

For those who are married with kids, on the other hand, I could not imagine pulling them out of school and moving the whole family. Hats off to anyone who can pull that off.

I think it's a very respectable decision to apply to just UW because of familial circumstances but what I wonder is how many times do you try and this? And at the end, do you have a backup plan to just not go to med school? Or pursue the DO school in Yakima or eventually decide to apply nationwide? UW was my one of my top 2 choices and it definitely is bittersweet knowing that I am in med school but will not be able to apply here in the future.

Well, plus I have this whole other issue of having my undergraduate degree from a foreign university, which apparently is an insurmountable problem when it comes to medical schools. I was hoping that UW would look at my application favorably given that I have an advanced degree from this school (and it seems like they did, but maybe something else wasn't right). Doing a post-bac or taking science classes that I already took at my alma mater just to get an American grade doesn't make sense in my mind... Curious if anyone has additional perspectives on this.

Just curious, did you have your foreign transcript verified? I had to do that for my international masters degree (and it cost about $200) but I think that is a requirement for UW and many other med schools. A bonus is that I am now finally able to convince people that a D in Australia is equivalent to an A in the US.

Just curious, did you have your foreign transcript verified? I had to do that for my international masters degree (and it cost about $200) but I think that is a requirement for UW and many other med schools. A bonus is that I am now finally able to convince people that a D in Australia is equivalent to an A in the US.
I did get a credentials evaluation done, it was about $150, but UW never asked for it!! I was surprised. AMCAS doesn't ask for foreign transcripts or evaluations either.

I did get a credentials evaluation done, it was about $150, but UW never asked for it!! I was surprised. AMCAS doesn't ask for foreign transcripts or evaluations either.

Hmmm...I just looked back through my old emails, and they never actually asked for mine either. I emailed them directly asking if they had gotten it in the mail yet as I accidentally sent it to the main UW admissions office (they hadn't) and resent it to the correct office. I'm not sure if they really cared though, since they never asked for it in the first place (I think I just read somewhere that a verified transcript was required).

BTW, alternate #3 from WA/OOR just got accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is this watch list everyone speaks of? Just out of curiosity
https://www.somas.washington.edu/uwappstatus.htm Same place you checked your interview status

Also RE second look, I emailed them and received this: "Office of Multicultural Affairs is hosting a second look for select individuals from April 20th-21st. For more information, please contact Bely Luu at [email protected]"

I assume this means that only folks who had a second interview with OMA will be invited to the second look weekend, right?
cleardot.gif

https://www.somas.washington.edu/uwappstatus.htm

FYI, alternate #5 from WA/OOR has been accepted. And that is the last time I am going to check the alternate list. :)

Wait, really? I am #4 on the list and haven't heard anything. Did they call you or email you?

Wait, really? I am #4 on the list and haven't heard anything. Did they call you or email you?

Uh oh, don't panic! I got a call from my ExCom, who told me that I would get the official email soon, probably by the end of the day. I don't think that everybody gets a phone call, it probably depends on the availability of your ExCom. I haven't gotten the email yet, so I bet they will send them out soon.

Uh oh, don't panic! I got a call from my ExCom, who told me that I would get the official email soon, probably by the end of the day. I don't think that everybody gets a phone call, it probably depends on the availability of your ExCom. I haven't gotten the email yet, so I bet they will send them out soon.

Ah, phew! And I just received a nice email from my excom informing me that I would be accepted later today. D'awww... Everyone UW is so nice! Congrats to you on your acceptance!

Congrats and Thanks for the updates! I'm #6, anxiously waiting!!!!!!!

First, Good Luck to those on the waitlist!

Second, I just found out my site placement. Anyone else going to Pullman / Moscow?

Second, I just found out my site placement. Anyone else going to Pullman / Moscow?

Idaho here so Moscow...headed there in 2 weeks to find a place to live

Idaho here so Moscow...headed there in 2 weeks to find a place to live

Niice! I'm originally from Idaho, so I'm excited to be in the Moscow/Pullman group. I've never been to Pullman though. Do we have any resources we can access to find housing?

Niice! I'm originally from Idaho, so I'm excited to be in the Moscow/Pullman group. I've never been to Pullman though. Do we have any resources we can access to find housing?

hi, congrats to all the new admits, especially those of you who are lucky enough to be assigned to moscow/pullman!!!

i'm a current moscow/pullman wwami and wanted to let you know that the staff here will put together a spreadsheet of housing options and some comments from us who are living here now about our housing situtations. i think that gets mailed out to you guys in may sometime, but i can help out with any questions you have now and i think there is one other current moscow/pullman wwami who checks this thread occasionally.... but if any of you coming here next year are planning a visit, get in touch with the staff (if you haven't already) and they'll be happy to show you around while you're here. if you visit before we finish our year on may 7, you're welcome to come hang out with us around town too.

I got an email today that had housing info in it....sounds like they sent it to all Idaho WWAMI accepted applicants. PM me your email and i'll forward it to you eh?

That or maybe wait a week and they may send one out for the pullman group because a lot of it was Moscow housing (at least in my quick read-thru)

Hi, I'm a 4th year about to graduate from UWSOM and head on to residency. I apologize if I'm breaking any rules by soliciting on this forum, but I have a bunch of books, syllabi (the course text books), flash cards (published, ie. Netter Anatomy and Microbiology), and clinical gear (oto/ophthalmoscope, BP cuff, tuning forks) that I would love to unload for cheap. I'm local here in Seattle. PM me if you are interested! (free advice with any purchase :) )

Does anybody know the 2012 class schedule for this fall? Or what is was like in 2011? I know when orientation and classes start in Seattle but that's it- do we get a holiday break in December?

Are the first two years P/F at UW or letter system?

x

Last edited:
I plan to withdraw my spot from Idaho next week - best of luck to whoever is on the Idaho waitlist!

I just came off the alternate list and am headed to Moscow-Pullman. Is there a forum or facebook page started about the Moscow-Pullman site to ask questions or network with other classmates that will be there?

If we received Univ Grad Tuition Exemption (or rather, a reduction), does that mean that we are placed anywhere but Seattle? Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hey everyone. Congrats on getting into medical school! I wanted to send out a potential housing opportunity to the incoming first years. I have a year lease available on a room + your own bathroom in the condo/apt I live in. It is located in North Ravenna and takes about a 15 minute bus ride to get to school, bus drops you off right in front of the health science building...

I've attached a document that has ALL the details instead of boring those who aren't interested with a long post. Also, there are some pics as well.

The place is very nice! I am a current 2nd year and will be starting my 3rd year in July - thus you'll have a roommate who can give you some good advice hopefully Lol

email me or message me if you're interested or have more questions. Thanks! also my landlord would prefer a girl...sorry guys!

Crystal Kiewert
[email protected]

Attachments

• room for rent.pdf
    490.3 KB · Views: 83
If we received Univ Grad Tuition Exemption (or rather, a reduction), does that mean that we are placed anywhere but Seattle? Thanks in advance for any help :)

No, I am a 2nd year and received that first year as well and was placed in Seattle. It's only given to certain students, I haven't figured out why, but I think it's related to your financial situation...

Also, for those who haven't ranked their sites yet, if you do still exist. You don't have to fill out all of the site options. Read the directions carefully, it says only put a site that you are willing to go to. You can just put seattle and call it good...and then you will for sure be placed in Seattle...

No, I am a 2nd year and received that first year as well and was placed in Seattle. It's only given to certain students, I haven't figured out why, but I think it's related to your financial situation...

Also, for those who haven't ranked their sites yet, if you do still exist. You don't have to fill out all of the site options. Read the directions carefully, it says only put a site that you are willing to go to. You can just put seattle and call it good...and then you will for sure be placed in Seattle...

Thanks!

Last edited:
x

Last edited:
Did any Washington residents get their site placement yet?

Hey Everyone, I am considering applying to UW during the 2012-2013 cycle. I am OOR, and I know that UW likes their OOR applicants to have a lot of experience with the underserved population. I have over 200 hours volunteering in a free clinic, volunteered out of the country with an underserved population for two weeks, and I have 40 hours of shadowing experience with a family doctor. Do you guys think this would be enough to get an interview?
I am a reapplicant and having already spent over 6k this season, I want to spend wisely for next year...

Hey Everyone, I am considering applying to UW during the 2012-2013 cycle. I am OOR, and I know that UW likes their OOR applicants to have a lot of experience with the underserved population. I have over 200 hours volunteering in a free clinic, volunteered out of the country with an underserved population for two weeks, and I have 40 hours of shadowing experience with a family doctor. Do you guys think this would be enough to get an interview?
I am a reapplicant and having already spent over 6k this season, I want to spend wisely for next year...

You never know until you apply. That being said the out of region applicant stats for UW are staggering. I think most would agree that most of those applicants accepted are superior applicants in many respects

You never know until you apply.

Absolutely. I had astonishing luck with UW this year as an OOR applicant yet I couldn't really tell you why or how, it comes down to each component of your application. My stats were more average than staggering, but I tried to make up for that by highlighting my unique experiences and perspectives. I made sure that my personal statement as well as my secondary essays and interview responses imparted a cogent and compelling story fleshed out with examples and anecdotes. It worked well for me, but unfortunately not so much for friends who are well qualified. It's a mystifying process but you won't know until you try. Good luck!

Sorry my fellow Idahoans! I withdrew today! Hopefully a waitlistee gets the call!

Best of luck to all!

Now I should celebrate by deleting this account, haha.

So as a neurotic waitlister, I was wondering what the schedule was for deposits. Does anyone know what actually happened on the 15th? I just ask because I have heard conflicting information about it (i.e. whether people can actually hold multiple acceptances while losing deposits, or whether you can't actually hold multiple acceptances after that day).

Any large movement? Website too slow on updating. I just got an acceptance yesterday from another school and I'm trying to hold off from accepting until I get a better idea where UW's waitlist is at.

Any large movement? Website too slow on updating. I just got an acceptance yesterday from another school and I'm trying to hold off from accepting until I get a better idea where UW's waitlist is at.

Up to wait list spot #33.

I thought University of Washington doesn't require a deposit...?

Status
Not open for further replies.