2011-2012 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to everyone this upcoming cycle! I was accepted for the 2010-2011 cycle and almost went here. It's a great school! I may not know much but if anyone has any questions about the school, interview, etc feel free to PM me and I can try and answer them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update - I may be contacting you!

Members don't see this ad :)
First question for you - does WVU normally screen applicants for the secondary application?

First question for you - does WVU normally screen applicants for the secondary application?

Yes and here's the best part: receiving a secondary is almost a guaranteed interview. :D That is, of course, assuming you don't completely screw up your prompt questions or have any red flags In your app.

Yes and here's the best part: receiving a secondary is almost a guaranteed interview. :D That is, of course, assuming you don't completely screw up your prompt questions or have any red flags In your app.

That's great news - where did you get that information, if you don't mind me asking?

I got an e-mail from them stating that they needed my MCAT scores (no surprises there, if they do screen applicants (I'm taking it July 6th). I just didn't know whether or not they screened applicants because I have loaned my MSAR to a friend).

That's great news - where did you get that information, if you don't mind me asking?

I got an e-mail from them stating that they needed my MCAT scores (no surprises there, if they do screen applicants (I'm taking it July 6th). I just didn't know whether or not they screened applicants because I have loaned my MSAR to a friend).

Last year it worked the same way and everyone (including myself) who received a secondary received an interview as well. It was also confirmed when someone called the admissions office that secondary = interview.

That's awesome! Stoked .. Just need to get this thing going for July 6th - thanks for the tip.

I also got the e-mail that they are waiting for my MCAT scores (I am taking it again on 7/16, eek!)

I have the 2011-2012 MSAR and it says the secondary is sent to "select applicants" --- their 2009-2010 class had a 29 median MCAT, with a 10th to 90th percentile range of 25-34. Does anyone know the updated numbers from the new MSAR?

Also, does anyone have any idea what their MCAT cutoff point is for secondaries or if there even is a cutoff? I'm assuming given their range that they take GPA and other factors into consideration as opposed to straight MCAT?

just got the secondary. hopefully this means a guaranteed interview :)

oos

Questions:

The WVU School of Medicine embraces a Code of Professionalism amongst all students. This Code states our expectations for consistent maintenance of proper, lifelong behavior at the highest levels both within and external to the professional environment.
Please comment or answer the following four statements or questions. You may take up to ½ page to answer each question. Answers should be typed on plain paper, single spaced, with normal margins in a 12 point font. Please copy the question and place as the title of each of your answers.

• Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of practicing medicine in a rural or underserved area.
  • A friend of yours, who is also applying to medical school this year, has posted a compromising photo of you on Facebook and has tagged you. The Admissions Committee frequently looks at Facebook pages prior to interviews. How would you handle this with your friend ?
  • Tell us of a challenging event or a difficult obstacle in your life and how you overcame it.
  • Medicine is a team sport. Please explain this concept.

Members don't see this ad :)
Facebook account question!!! +pity+

is no fun...

yeah the facebook question really is not fun lol. i feel like its kind of a trick question, where we should say that the committee should feel free to check our accounts because we have nothing to hide. how are you all approaching the question?

I finished my essays but I'm starting to wonder whether or not to submit. I have zero ties to the state of WV, other then I gamble in wheeling WV here and there :laugh:. Tapepsi, did you have ties?

OOS here, got secondary but no ties to WV, I just submitted it

Do we have to have someone submit a "communication" assessment thing, even if our LORs are delivered via AMCAS?

if one of your LORs is from some manager or supervisor (outside an academic setting) then you do not need to submit a communication assessment. This is what they told me when I called.

if one of your LORs is from some manager or supervisor (outside an academic setting) then you do not need to submit a communication assessment. This is what they told me when I called.

So a PI won't count.... christ I have to get another LOR

for the challenging event or difficult obstacle question, I really have no idea what to write. Are they looking for something like special circumstance that caused a drop in grades, because I don't have any. I also never lived in an under served area. any thoughts on what they are looking for?

for the challenging event or difficult obstacle question, I really have no idea what to write. Are they looking for something like special circumstance that caused a drop in grades, because I don't have any. I also never lived in an under served area. any thoughts on what they are looking for?

I wrote about college transformation into a leader that climaxed with me rocking a symposium presentation

I finished my essays but I'm starting to wonder whether or not to submit. I have zero ties to the state of WV, other then I gamble in wheeling WV here and there :laugh:. Tapepsi, did you have ties?

Yes, I have family that lives right next to the school and, while I'm OOS, am less than an hour away. :oops: But there were still applicants who got in that were OOS and had no ties/weren't from bordering state so don't let that discourage you from applying.

My bf got accepted in the last cycle as an OOS with zero ties to WV. Now I'm trying to do the same... with my only tie being him!

My bf got accepted in the last cycle as an OOS with zero ties to WV. Now I'm trying to do the same... with my only tie being him!

I remember when I was interviewing there a third year told us a similar story and she got accepted very quickly (and she was OOS which makes it even more unusual). So as long as your stats are decent and you interview well I'd say your chances are very good! :thumbup:

OOS applying here! no ties to WV :confused:

Does anyone know if we submit the secondary online or snail mail it in?

Thankss :D

I received an e-mail from WVU on 6/28 saying my application would be on hold (pre-secondary) until they received my MCAT scores (from 7/16 test). I will get my scores by the end of next week. WVU is at the TOP of my list.. Should I e-mail them to say my scores should be in next week and that I look forward to hearing from them? Or should I just wait it out and hope I get a secondary?

My stats: OOS F, BS and MS in Biology, 3.8 ungrad sci GPA, 4.0 grad gpa

Could someone post the address so that I can send an update letter?

(I am still on MCAT hold so I haven't received the secondary with the address)

Could someone post the address so that I can send an update letter?

(I am still on MCAT hold so I haven't received the secondary with the address)

Beth Ann McCormick
Office of Student Services
PO Box 9111
Morgantown, WV 26506 - 9111

For those of you wondering about the importance of ties to WV... I attended the Family Orientation last week since my boyfriend is a 1st year med student. After talking to Dean Ross, he basically said OOS applicants must have phenomenal scores and strong ties to WV since they are training you to serve the state of WV. I'm sure people get accepted without ties, especially if you live in a border state, but your chances are much higher if you are connected to WV.

I also have a question -- did you all get the secondary via e-mail or via snail mail? I know you are supposed to mail it back to them, but I am really hoping that they e-mail it to you? My MCAT scores should be reported today (eek!) so I am REALLY eager to get a secondary!

Last edited:
Apparently that is correct, however, who knows

Anyone applied without any connections with the state?

I applied with no ties. Got a secondary...which hopefully means interview!

I have last year's MSAR (for 2009 Applicants). The numbers are pretty shocking:

IS: Applications 211, Interviewed 113, Matriculated 71 (11 EDP)
OOS: Applications 2371, Interviewed 256, Matriculated 39 (1 EDP)

While that doesn't take into account those that didn't complete a secondary and those that were accepted but declined, its still pretty rough for OOS.

I'm OOS. No ties. Got secondary, hopefully interview:xf:???

i passed the two week deadline, am i screwed?

The two week deadline only applies to the electronic section.

huh? i didnt start my secondary and i got the email to complete it like 3 weeks ago, can i still turn it in?

Theres a part of the application that allows you to just submit. Its like tab 2 or 3 I don't remember which one. Thats due in 2 weeks, the rest of the app can be turned in later. Thats what the admissions office told me.

so if i didnt turn in that first part within two weeks am i screwed?

ah! has anyone received a secondary after being on hold for MCAT? If so, do you remember how long it took? I am going crazy waiting!! I just got my scores Tuesday afternoon...

Congratz frazier your mdapps is very impressive any school would be lucky to have you. I'm still trying to get my Communication LOR in, looks like its gonna be in by next week at the earliest. Hope that doesn't hurt my chances here?

Oddly I mailed in the snail mail stuff a week ago and still no confirmation of receipt. Is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.