2011-2012 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some of you all receive your secondary application post-screening via postmail, as well as via e-mail? Or ..

Does the interview invitation comes through the mail?

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary is via email.
Interview invite is mailed via post.

That's what I figured, but I wanted to confirm - thank you, Flemon

Members don't see this ad :)
So i am a little confused. Did yall do the communication and standard evaluation, or nah? its says everyone has to do the communication evaluation, but i think i read somewhere here that it was not necessary to do any of them.

Has anyone had an interview yet and would be willing to give us some insight?:oops::oops:

Just a general idea. Was it open file? Was it casual or high-stress? Were students and faculty nice and responsive to questions? You can disclose only as much info as you feel comfortable with of course! Obviously anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just a general idea. Was it open file? Was it casual or high-stress? Were students and faculty nice and responsive to questions? You can disclose only as much info as you feel comfortable with of course! Obviously anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

When you say casual do you mean like conversational vs. high stress would be the interviewer asking you a ton of heavy questions?

Thank you SO much! That was extremely helpful! :D It sounds pretty laid back, almost too laid back with that long wait (which on the other hand, I guess could be filled with anxious torture depending on how an applicant is feeling!) I am definitely bringing a book or my ipod.

The idea of writing down my preferred campus and other schools I am applying to makes me nervous, but I guess it is necessary when determining acceptances!

All in all, at least we get a cool pen out of it!:highfive:

Thanks again for all the info! best of luck to you :luck:

Wait, so does anyone know anything about the communication evaluation? in their guideline it says everyone has to complete it, is this true?

Anyone else interviewing on September 19?

I will get to Morgantown, WV on the 18th and would love to meet up with fellow SDNers. Shoot me a PM and we can all plan to go out to eat or something :)

I have an interview on Wed. Oct 12, 2011 and I'll be staying at Hampton Inn which is walking distance to the campus. Is anyone else interviewing that day interested with staying with me and splitting the cost? I just reserved a room with two doubles for total of $166.88. Female only please! :) PM me if you're interested.

I'm not sure the student hosts worked out last year, but if it does this year, I might stay with a host, but I'll let you know with plenty of time if that does happen.

gluck everyone!

anyone else interviewing on september 19?

I will get to morgantown, wv on the 18th and would love to meet up with fellow sdners. Shoot me a pm and we can all plan to go out to eat or something :)

bump

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Frazier!
I'll def try to go find it if I don't arrive too late the night before or I'll go super early and bring the instructions

My check was finally cashed today! I mailed the secondary from Morgantown on 9/2... I'm really hoping to get something in the mail soon...

I sent out my check September 5th and still have not heard from them. I am hoping for mail from them pretty soon :xf:.

For the better part of the day I have been trying to figure out how $100 mysteriously disappeared from my account (Wachovia/WF had yet to process the data/image)

Thanks for the reminder! :luck:

Rejected pre-secondary. :( OOS, low sGPA, average MCAT.

Good luck to those still in the running!

It is very painful to wait for the school's invite. T T
I am checking my mailbox everyday. And it is very painful to see that there is no invite there everyday.

I am OOS 32M 3.86.
Done with the secondary by early Aug, yet my committee letter was sent Sept 7 or so.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Completed my interview at WVU. It was very relaxing, although the interview day itself (in terms of viewing slides and video clips) were very disorganized and chaotic. Probably because Beth was out sick.

Anyone remember how long after their check was cashed they got an interview? Mine was cashed earlier this week

Anyone remember how long after their check was cashed they got an interview? Mine was cashed earlier this week

I glanced at last year's thread and it looks like a few weeks to a month for in state and a month or longer for OOS. Dunno if it'll be the same rate this year though...

Hello, guys! When I was interviewing I looked online for the most commonly asked questions at WVU SOM. I don't remember anymore where I found them, but here they are:

Why do you want to come here?
Tell me about your research.
What should we tell to the committee?
What are the problems in the health care system and what do you do?
Where do you see yourself practicing in the future?
What do you do in your free time?
How did you prepare for the MCAT and what was your reaction to the score?
If you couldn't do medicine what would you do?
What was your favorite class?
What was your least favorite class?
What qualities should a doctor possess?
Why would a (put in your state) guy want to come all the way out here to little West Virginia? (do you have any ties to West Virginia)
What was the most influential medical experience you had thus far?

On my interview I certainly was not asked all of these questions, but MANY of them. So, I would consider this list as a good starting point. Good luck!

Last edited:
Frazier, yes they interview a lot of OOS, but acceptance rate is about 90% IS and 18% OOS. Finally the class is composed of ~ 115 students; 55% IS, 45% OOS. But please guys don't be overwhelmed by these numbers. When I interviewed at 3 schools my chances were 53%, 47%, and 18%. Now guess which school was the only one that accepted me :D

Frazier,

1) MS1 have 20 hours/week + some activities (like clinical learning groups, various shadowings, etc). MS2 have 24 hours/week + many more activities. In the Spring MS1 have less lectures, but they spend 9 hours/week in a gross lab (mandatory) and 4 hours/week in a micro anatomy lab (optional).

1a) Lectures start at 8 a.m. However, their attendance is optional both years. All lectures are being recorded and posted online.

2) As far as I know, we are not obligated to do any research at any point during the entire 4 years. The only time when we do research is during our 1st summer break. I mean summer between the first and second years. Closer to the end of the 1st year, students get information about research positions and there are plenty of them. I didn't do any research, but I am 95% positive that there are more positions then willing students and you can find a position in any area of medicine you are interested in. Some OOS people contacted schools in their area and did research while also spending time with their families. I know two classmates who did research during summer at UC San Diego and Hopkins.
One caveat though. Many students after their first year are so beat up that they even don't want to hear about any research, externships and stuff like that :laugh:

2a) As far as we are told by our school authorities: all opportunities at Morgantown = Charleston = Eastern division. Plus, even if you are scheduled to do your rotations at one place, you can still do a couple of them elsewhere.

3) Yes, our school gives us this information. I don't remember the exact number, but I am 99% confident that our average is between 225-230. A few people unfortunately always fail :( but this year we had 15 students (out of a little over 100) who scored 250+ on Step 1 :eek:
We don't have any official prep course for Step 1. But we are given a little over a month to study for it. In terms of Step 1 philosophy it seems to me that WVU is somewhere in the middle but a little bit closer to "pride themselves in not teaching towards Step1".
I am MS2. I have signed up for DIT and Kaplan but decided not to study for Step 1 until at least the winter break.

4) Our IS tuition is ~ 23K/year, and OOS ~50K/year; and there is NO WAY for an OOS to become IS while in school. So I guess you can see the heaviness of the ball and shorness of the chain :oops:

Last edited:
I have an interview on Wed. Oct 12, 2011 and I'll be staying at Hampton Inn which is walking distance to the campus. Is anyone else interviewing that day interested with staying with me and splitting the cost? I just reserved a room with two doubles for total of $166.88. Female only please! :) PM me if you're interested.

I'm not sure the student hosts worked out last year, but if it does this year, I might stay with a host, but I'll let you know with plenty of time if that does happen.

gluck everyone!

I don't know if you are still planning on staying -- but I definitely recommend the Euro Suites hotel on Chestnut Ridge Rd. It is ~10 min walk to the med school. Rates are $110/night regular, $99/night AAA, and $82/night government.

On the secondary instructions it says: "We will not confirm receipt of any mailed application materials. If you do not hear from us within one month, please call 1-800-543-5650 and ask for Mrs. McCormick."

I mailed my secondary on 9/3 -- do you think it's too soon to call? I don't want to be obnoxious -- but I'm dying here!

LadyRugger - I was thinking the same thing (I mailed all of my secondary materials in on 9/6). I would call today. To be fair, you have waited a month. Was your check cashed (at the least, this will confirm their receipt of your materials) ?

LadyRugger - I was thinking the same thing (I mailed all of my secondary materials in on 9/6). I would call today. To be fair, you have waited a month. Was your check cashed (at the least, this will confirm their receipt of your materials) ?

Yep, check cashed 9/20... I think I'll wait until Friday... Ugh.

On the secondary instructions it says: "We will not confirm receipt of any mailed application materials. If you do not hear from us within one month, please call 1-800-543-5650 and ask for Mrs. McCormick."

I mailed my secondary on 9/3 -- do you think it's too soon to call? I don't want to be obnoxious -- but I'm dying here!

I have sent an email after looking at this instead of calling them.
But I did not get any reply yet.

Just received the secondary today! OOS here. So just clarifying, but does a secondary for OOS automatically mean Interview? I'm confused

For the most part, yes secondary is the same as an interview invite. I have seen cases where its not but those are rare. Regardless congrats!

Docntrainin -- I called the Office of Admissions about two weeks ago and confirmed that a secondary = an interview. Congratulations

Docntrainin -- I called the Office of Admissions about two weeks ago and confirmed that a secondary = an interview. Congratulations

Oh yay! This is so exciting. I wasn't expecting to get one

Hi friends! Does anyone know how long it takes for WVU to get back to you once you submit the secondary application in order to schedule an interview? I'm planning to submit tomorrow! :xf:

Hi friends! Does anyone know how long it takes for WVU to get back to you once you submit the secondary application in order to schedule an interview? I'm planning to submit tomorrow! :xf:

I've been waiting for just over a month... I called on Friday and was told Mrs. McCormick will be back on Monday (today) to start scheduling more interviews. (I think she was on vacation or something for a while).

Spoke with Mrs. McCormick today -- expect a "round" of interview letters some time this week. They are being sent out in batches

I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days. Can anyone (maybe a current WVU-SOM student) shed light on the hierarchy of placement, so to speak, of applicants who receive interviews at West Virginia? Let me explain myself more clearly.

For example, my current roommate has an interview scheduled at Vanderbilt School of Medicine. He's got great stats, but is still concerned about some of those ridiculously impressive fellow interviewees beating him out, at least on paper that is.

In doing some research online, he found out that (after an extensive screening process), if you do receive an interview to Vanderbilt, you are placed on the same "level" as all of the other applicants. My roommate nearly has a 4.0 and made a 34 on his MCAT, but in light of this new information, it might be fair to say that he longer has to worry about the 38+ kids (seriously, more power to you if you happen to fall into this category) having significant statistical advantages over him. Everyone who is interviewed has (theoretically) an equal chance of acceptance; the primary factor no longer becomes statistics, former clinical or shadowing experience, whatever. It (mostly) depends on the interview.

I figured that maybe other medical schools who screen before sending secondaries (like WVU) would have a similar policy, seeing as how, if they do positively "accept" your primary, that obviously you are a candidate for acceptance. And, it would seem to me, that in WVU's case, the playing field is even more "level," seeing as how nearly all secondar-iers receive interviews. We are all candidates, right?

Thoughts? Am I potentially correct or completely off? :confused:

Thanks in advance

I don't know the specifics about WVU, but from other adcom I hear most schools still consider stats after the interview. The interview is just one part of the equation. Everything is assigned points and if you fall above a particular point level you get accepted, if below you get wait listed or rejected. Again I'm not saying WVU does it this way too, but everyone I spoke to from other schools do it this way.

Just got an Interview Invite today for Nov 18. Can't wait!

I'm November 11th, so I won't get to meet you unfortunately :(

Well let me know how the interview goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.