Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DANG IT!
Someone post before Myuu! 😡
10th anniversary of CCLCM's foundation video
So excited about CCLCM and Case!
TOP(totally tried to find a ninja on top of a robot unicorn but was unsuccessful)
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
DANG IT!
Someone post before Myuu! 😡
10th anniversary of CCLCM's foundation video
I'm still glad I went to CCLCM. It was a great experience on the whole. Not that every day of medical school is a dream come true, but it's definitely the kindest, gentlest way of entering into the medical world that I know of. It's hard to make medical school any less stressful than CCLCM is. There are no tests, no grades, no tuition, and tons of personal and professional support. My research PI at CCLCM commented that CCLCM students are pampered, and he's right. I don't think that's a bad thing.
However, medical school in general (at CCLCM, and anywhere else) does not prepare you very well for what it's like to be an intern. That's because the real learning about how to be a doctor starts in residency. When you're an MS4, you may finally feel like you're able to make a contribution to your team, but even as a sub-I, you still don't have any real responsibility. You're still just playing at being a doctor. On July 1 of your residency, it's not playing any more. The responsibility just drops down on you all at once. And during those first few weeks and months, it starts to really sink in how ignorant about medicine and patient care you are. You'll never feel as dumb in your whole life as you do in July of your intern year. Fortunately, you do start learning the ropes, and it gets easier. But don't drink the kool-aid, applicants: you will not come out of medical school "prepared" to be an intern.
On a related note, most applicants focus on all the wrong things. I'm not saying that to knock you guys; I focused on all the wrong things when I was an applicant, too. But when you're choosing a med school, what you want to do is take out the least amount of school loans possible, and focus on the kind of clinical training you'll get as an MS3. Those two things are way more important than any preclinical curricular innovations a school may tout. Whether you do PBL or lectures or home study for the first two years of medical school doesn't ultimately matter. You'll learn the same science anywhere. What matters is getting good hands-on clinical experience (which we do at Case/CCLCM), and minimizing your debt. So when you interview, ask about third year, not first or second year. What hospitals do students rotate at? What do they get to do? How are rotations chosen? How are students graded as MS3s? What does the school do to support students in the Match? Likewise, pay more attention to financial aid packages than you do to which kind of preclinical curriculum you think will make you "happy." If you keep those two priorities in mind as a pre-med, you will be a lot happier as an intern.
(For the record, when I give this advice, I am assuming that all else in your personal life is equal, which it won't always be, especially for those of you who are non-trads. If you have a family, you may not be able to prioritize your school choices the way I'm suggesting. So some of you will have to just do what you have to do to make things work for your family.)
I want to go to Case Western so bad! It is my med school soul mate. Accept me accept me accept me...
lol, i feel that way too about cclcm.
LOL, I feel that way too about CCLCM.

+1I want to go to Case Western so bad! It is my med school soul mate. Accept me accept me accept me...
LOL, I feel that way too about CCLCM.
+2
It would be a dream come true to get into CCLCM. I feel like the program was made for me.
CCLCM, will you marry me?!?!?! 😍![]()
+3! I totally agree. I feel like CCLCM is the best fit for me in every way. It is probably my top choice among all the schools I'm applying to. Yet, I am afraid of falling in love with it so early, because I know my odds of even getting an interview seem slim at best.
Gonna hope for the best. I'm doing a lot of research this summer, and I hope that helps. Anyone know the stats or experiences of past accepted students into CCLCM? I'd like to know if I have a realistic shot at this program.
Ah I didn't even think of looking that up, thanks.if you go to case's website, or just google case school of medicine class profile, they should have a very basic ppt presentation of their admission's data.
Thanks, good to know. I have all that data from the MSAR, so should be good to go if CCLCM is similar.We are very much part of Case. We do not publish separate MCAT or other stats for our class. I refer you to our (Case Western) overall class stats for an idea of what is "competitive".
Sent from my phone
Anyone know what the turnaround time is to get a secondary for the CCLCM? I'm only applying to that program.
Anybody receive a secondary from From CWRU yet?
Not yet. According to last year's thread Case had an interview invite out by 7/19. Anyone know when Case began sending secondaries last year?
On the med school info googledoc, it stated that Case Western requires mandatory attendance. How true is this if anyone knows?
On the med school info googledoc, it stated that Case Western requires mandatory attendance. How true is this if anyone knows?
Thanks for the clarification!Always true for PBL sessions (MWF 8-10am)
Lectures optional (MWF 10-12am)
Tues mornings I am unsure about.
Thursdays are usually optional review sessions.
It's really not that bad considering you are looking at a max of say 10 hrs/week of mandatory stuff, if not less.
Source: MS1 from second look.
In theory, there could be a delay if you apply to both programs. To use your case as am example, UP maybe decide to extend an invitation to you early, but they will not notify you of this decision until CP has an opportunity to review it also. This is partly a courtesy so that if you are offered two invitations you can coordinate them and avoid separate travel expenses. I should also note that given our admissions process there is likely no disadvantage as far as delaying your interviewing for either program.
Sent from my phone
Lecture is optional, IQ is not. Tuesday morning is FCM, which is also not optional.
Secondaries this upcoming week!
Sorry if I'm a bit terse--just started my OB/Gyn/peds rotation.
What is IQ and do you mind giving a more detailed weekly schedule of required/optional class time? Thanks a lot
Would it help if I sacrifice a goat before submitting my application for CWRU?
Got it!
So excited for Case!
Moar payshentss!
I got 2 identical secondary emails with 2 different passwords. Should I contact them about this and make sure I use the right one?
Have you tried them yet?
Exact opposite feeling! I haven't gotten a new one in a week. I want them all on my plate so they can just be done!The longer the wait to receive this secondary the better. I could certainly use a break from this 1.5 weeks straight of doing secondary after secondary.... I'm getting some serious writer's block.![]()
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.