2012-2013 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As did I.
Anyone else have issues answering the question "Have you previously applied for admission to CWRU School of Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, or MSTP?"
When I try to click Yes, it takes me to a new page that says the page cannot be found :(

Members don't see this ad.

No secondaries yet...

just got it. 7/19

Last edited:
As did I.
Anyone else have issues answering the question "Have you previously applied for admission to CWRU School of Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, or MSTP?"
When I try to click Yes, it takes me to a new page that says the page cannot be found :(

I clicked it out of curiosity... yea, that seems to break the website.

Looks like you'll need to call them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I clicked it out of curiosity... yea, that seems to break the website.

Looks like you'll need to call them.

I did, but looks like they were gone for the day. Sigh...

I applied to both UP and CCLCM so I'm not really sure which prompts go with which program as they are all just lumped together, but this is what I got:

Greatest Challenge Essay (3500 characters)
The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe the greatest personal challenge you have faced which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a time when you felt you were "in over your head," or a time when you felt personally criticized. You may also discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you may have learned about yourself.

Research Essay (3500 characters)
One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve2 Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Track, if you have participated in research or another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non-medically-related investigations.

Small Group Essay (300-1000 characters)
If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it?

Areas of improvement (500-1000 characters)
Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strengthening? Design a plan as to how you could improve it.

Criticism & Feedback (500-1000 characters)
Tell us about a time when you received unexpected criticism or negative feedback. How did you react? What did you do?

Can anyone else confirm which of these is specifically for the UP?

Just the small group and challenge are required I think just like the ones from last year that Myuu posted
The research one is optionally but like strongly suggested

Hey Guys,

Here are the essays for the UP track.

Required Essay: Greatest Challenge
(Required for all applicants)
The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe the greatest personal challenge you have faced which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a time when you felt you were "in over your head," or a time when you felt personally criticized. You may also discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you may have learned about yourself.

Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If the 3,500 character recommendation is exceeded, your essay WILL be saved in its entirety. If you cut and paste your essay from a word processing program, be sure to place your cursor at the end of the pasted text and click on the space bar. This assures that the program will save your text correctly.

Optional Scholarly Essay:
One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve2 Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Track, if you have participated in research or another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non-medically-related investigations.

Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If the 3,500 character recommendation is exceeded, your essay WILL be saved in its entirety.

If you have not yet participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate NOT APPLICABLE below in the space provided. Your application will not be viewed unfavorably if you have not participated in scholarly work or research. If you cut and paste your essay from a word processing program be sure to place your cursor at the end of the pasted text and click on the space bar. This assures that the program will save your text correctly.

Small Group Essay:
(Required for all applicants)
If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it?

Please limit your response to 300-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If the 1000 character recommendation is exceeded your essay WILL still be saved in its entirety. If you cut and paste your essay from a word processing program be sure to place your cursor at the end of the pasted text and click on the space bar. This assures that the program will save your text correctly.

Hope that helps!

Is anyone having trouble submitting a photo? When I crop my photo down to the right size, the website takes it but then fails to display it to the right of the screen.

Is anyone having trouble submitting a photo? When I crop my photo down to the right size, the website takes it but then fails to display it to the right of the screen.

I have the same problem. I posted it earlier in the thread, but no one responded.

I have the same problem. I posted it earlier in the thread, but no one responded.

Ahh okay glad to see we're in the same boat. I'll probably just call them about it when it's time for me to submit.

Who reads the research essays? Can I assume they have background in biochemistry? I'd like to avoid extraneous explanations of things like second messenger systems if it's unnecessary, especially given the 3500 character limit.

Who reads the research essays? Can I assume they have background in biochemistry? I'd like to avoid extraneous explanations of things like second messenger systems if it's unnecessary, especially given the 3500 character limit.
I'm assuming a science background. I work with a subunit of the sodium-potassium pump and I didn't explain much background as to what it was. I just jumped right into real research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having problems keeping my research essay under 3500 characters... right now I'm at 3650. I assume that it's probably ok to submit as is?

For those who submitted, did you get a confirmation? How are you checking your status? I paid and got that confirmation via email but when I log back in to check my status, the secondary is still there as if I never submitted it. Anyone?

For those who submitted, did you get a confirmation? How are you checking your status? I paid and got that confirmation via email but when I log back in to check my status, the secondary is still there as if I never submitted it. Anyone?

I only received a confirmation of payment from the third party.

Blais : If you paid it means that you will be getting a Congratulations Page. That means that your secondary has been recieved by the Admissions Office!!!

jrut73 : If you paid and your payment went through , you will get an email from third party about the payment confirmation and also you will be getting a Congratulations Page. That means that your secondary has been recieved by the Admissions Office!!!

This is from Case Admissions Office IT Programmer : Please do wait for 2 -5 business days to mark your file as complete!!!

Once your payment is done - it means that we have received your Secondary Application , So no worries.

jrut73 : If you paid and your payment went through , you will get an email from third party about the payment confirmation and also you will be getting a Congratulations Page. That means that your secondary has been recieved by the Admissions Office!!!

Awesome, thanks! :)

Did anyone figure out the picture problem? I'm sizing my image appropriately, but there's no way it can be less than 25KB the way I'm doing it.

Did anyone figure out the picture problem? I'm sizing my image appropriately, but there's no way it can be less than 25KB the way I'm doing it.

If you have photoshop, this is what I did.

Assuming you have an image thats 150x150 pixels and 72 pixels/inch, click File -> Save for Web & Devices. Don't mess with any of the setting and just click save. It will save it as a GIF and all secondaries should be able to handle that.

If you have photoshop, this is what I did.

Assuming you have an image thats 150x150 pixels and 72 pixels/inch, click File -> Save for Web & Devices. Don't mess with any of the setting and just click save. It will save it as a GIF and all secondaries should be able to handle that.

Worked beautifully, thanks!

Case, you left the option to submit more than the character limit so you're going to get it. I feel like I can't reduce it anymore.

Case, you left the option to submit more than the character limit so you're going to get it. I feel like I can't reduce it anymore.

I had one essay at 3500 characters, one at 3545ish and the cclcm ones were all about 60 characters over. I think if you're over by 40-90 it's ok. It's literally a difference of 1 short sentence.

received 7/19 and submitted 7/19 :xf::luck: this place is definitely one of my top choices

Please do wait for 3-5 business days to mark your file as complete!!! And also if you have have made the payment it means that your SECONDARY application is submitted . You do not need to worry !! Please do email us if you have any technical difficulties are we are here to help you!!

Myuu - What are your thoughts on using religious conviction / spirituality in a secondary essay? Is this generally advised against?

The CP+UP questions were a beast to finish, but it will sure give the adcoms a lot more information about us as people and our personalities.

I had one essay at 3500 characters, one at 3545ish and the cclcm ones were all about 60 characters over. I think if you're over by 40-90 it's ok. It's literally a difference of 1 short sentence.

received 7/19 and submitted 7/19 :xf::luck: this place is definitely one of my top choices

Let me be clear: Staying under the character limit is really a good idea. I would HIGHLY encourage everyone to listen carefully - one or two sentences will NOT make or break your essays for content and flow. What it will do is annoy your readers. two or three sentences here or there X 100s of essays if not thousands = a headache on the reader's end. Furthermore, the character limits are more than generous for clear and succinct communication. Re-think your essays if you are over characters, please.

Secondly, if you exceed the character limits - it indicates right off the bat that you have trouble following the direction. This isn't rocket surgery - follow the directions, folks.

In short:

1) Brevity is the soul of wit - and clear communication too.
2) Following directions is desirable in a candidate for medical school.

Do not exceed the character limits.

Let me be clear: Staying under the character limit is really a good idea. I would HIGHLY encourage everyone to listen carefully - one or two sentences will NOT make or break your essays for content and flow. What it will do is annoy your readers. two or three sentences here or there X 100s of essays if not thousands = a headache on the reader's end. Furthermore, the character limits are more than generous for clear and succinct communication. Re-think your essays if you are over characters, please.

Secondly, if you exceed the character limits - it indicates right off the bat that you have trouble following the direction. This isn't rocket surgery - follow the directions, folks.

In short:

What's the point of saying "please limit your response to 1 page (about 3500 characters), but know that any essay over that limit will be saved in its entirety." Why don't they just cut it off?

EDIT: Actually, I just logged back in and it looks like I never submitted the secondary. I'll change my character counts. Thanks!

Last edited:

In short:

Thanks for the advice. Is this your personal opinion, or part of the culture at Case/CCLCM? I ask because I've heard adcoms from other schools express viewpoints that contrast with yours.

Thanks for the advice. Is this your personal opinion, or part of the culture at Case/CCLCM? I ask because I've heard adcoms from other schools express viewpoints that contrast with yours.

NickNaylor said that he exceeded the limit on his Pritzker app and he ended up with an acceptance.

NickNaylor said that he exceeded the limit on his Pritzker app and he ended up with an acceptance.

Pritzker also explicitly stated in their recent Twitter session that they don't penalize applicants for going over the limit.

I am a bit worried about this app. Mine is already submitted - while my challenge essay is about half as long as it could've been and the others are under the limits, the research essay is slightly over. (Ironically, it was under the limit until I spent hours making changes that I felt would make it easier and more pleasant to read. :bang:)

Pritzker also explicitly stated in their recent Twitter session that they don't penalize applicants for going over the limit.

I am a bit worried about this app. Mine is already submitted - while my challenge essay is about half as long as it could've been and the others are under the limits, the research essay is slightly over. (Ironically, it was under the limit until I spent hours making changes that I felt would make it easier and more pleasant to read. :bang:)

I thought I was in this situation. I submitted my essays and paid yesterday, but when I logged in a few hours ago it said that my app wasn't submitted. I had read vc7777's suggestion by this point and fixed all character limits of my essays. I resubmitted, but I think I was charged twice. At least now it won't let me edit my essays so something worked!

I thought I was in this situation. I submitted my essays and paid yesterday, but when I logged in a few hours ago it said that my app wasn't submitted. I had read vc7777's suggestion by this point and fixed all character limits of my essays. I resubmitted, but I think I was charged twice. At least now it won't let me edit my essays so something worked!

I was able to go in and fix mine too. I wonder if our apps would ever have been completed if you hadn't caught that. Thanks for sharing--some people would've fixed their own app and kept quiet. Hope to see you at Case!

Last edited:
Did you guys check your application status before resubmitting? In the welcome page it says that my app isn't submitted but when I check the application status, it says my application is complete.

ceasefire : did you make the payment twice ? If so, I will refund your secondary fees. If you never did the payment twice, your good to go!!!

Endowed: The application status page will be updated only when our Admisssions Office marks your file as complete!!! Please do give us 3-5 business days for this to happen!

Did you guys check your application status before resubmitting? In the welcome page it says that my app isn't submitted but when I check the application status, it says my application is complete.

No, I just saw the "app isn't submitted" page. And now, after submitting it again, logging in takes me right to the "Application Status" page. So something is definitely different. Also, I just submitted this app yesterday, so it hadn't been officially marked complete by Case yet.

ceasefire : did you make the payment twice ? If so, I will refund your secondary fees. If you never did the payment twice, your good to go!!!

Swetareddy, I am pretty sure both ceasfire and I made it twice. Thank you for not making us beg. :p

Neurophage : you are good to go !!!! Don't worry :)

Once your payment is received , you are taken to a congratulations page, which is last page of your application.

We did not mark your file as we are looking them on order.

Ok do send me your confirmation numbers of your payment, I will o the refund on Monday morning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.