2012-2013 Dartmouth Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview invite this morning! Available dates 10/9, 10/11, 10/18

3.95C/4.0BCPM, 38Q, OOS. Complete 8/13

Members don't see this ad.

[Does Dartmouth have student hosting? Or what are cheap places to stay close to campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone wanna help me choose my essay:

1) Autobiographical sketch- pretty much my UCSD secondary- divorced parents/ crappy student in primary education/ what I learned etc..

2) My diversity essay- focuses on how I like to encourage and motivate people etc....

3) My body transformation essay (challenge essay)- was 100 lbs at 5 ft 7 inchs and worked out/ate a crapton to 165 lbs at 5 ft 7

Wooo! Just got an interview invite! Hoping to schedule in late October.

Complete 9/12. Stats, 3.8, MCAT 35-38

does anyone know about how many people they interview and accept?

is it true that students come from families with less than 100,000 income get free tuition at dartmouth medical school?

is it true that students come from families with less than 100,000 income get free tuition at dartmouth medical school?

Whaaaa!? Where did you hear this? Sign me up please! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if and how many people are notified in October of acceptance at this school?

the website says jan 1...but a student who gave the tour told us 4-6 weeks.

yea, I see what it says on the website, but a student did say october. Do you mean in about 4-6 weeks, or 4-6 weeks after you interview?

II this morning!!! Does anyone know if there is a way to get from New Haven to Hanover via public transportation? Or from Manchester to Hanover?

the website says jan 1...but a student who gave the tour told us 4-6 weeks.

Yea, after looking on MDapps, alot of people were notified in October, or within a month of the interview, otherwise it wasn't until jan/march

II this morning!!! Does anyone know if there is a way to get from New Haven to Hanover via public transportation? Or from Manchester to Hanover?

I flew into Manchester and rented a car. The drive out to Hanover is fairly quick and definitely painless. I loved every minute of that drive and being surrounded by all of the beautiful, rural NH scenery. I felt like I had been dropped in the middle of fairytale land. Enterprise is great for car rentals if you're under 25. They only charge $10 extra per day.

Hahaha...public transportation in New Hampshire. But seriously, if you can get to Boston, you could take the Dartmouth Coach to Hanover.

For the people that have interviewed(or anyone that knows), how are they? Open file, closed file, open file without numbers?

completely depends on your interviewer, but most are open file.

I am renting a car because I am getting in half a day early so I thought it would be nice to check out the fun and exciting things to do in Hanover (haha).

lol

What do you guys think about applying to medical school at age 48 ? I have a passion for medicine and i am already a pharmacist and was thinking about becoming a doctor.

I didn't choose to stay with a student host and decided instead to rent a hotel room. I will be driving up the day before my interview.

Do you think some if I asked admissions, a current med student would mind showing me around? I don't want to miss out on an inside perspective by not staying with a host.

1. Congratulations
2. Completion date?

What do you guys think about applying to medical school at age 48 ? I have a passion for medicine and i am already a pharmacist and was thinking about becoming a doctor.

Well, if you applied next year (when you were 49), and assuming you get in on the first try, you will be 53 when you graduate medical school, and somewhere between 55-60 when you complete residency (depending on what you do). If you think you have the energy, drive, passion for that at your age, then by all means go for it. But whether the whole thing is practical or not at this point, is another question you should ask yourself, especially if you have your own family.

Well, if you applied next year (when you were 49), and assuming you get in on the first try, you will be 53 when you graduate medical school, and somewhere between 55-60 when you complete residency (depending on what you do). If you think you have the energy, drive, passion for that at your age, then by all means go for it. But whether the whole thing is practical or not at this point, is another question you should ask yourself, especially if you have your own family.

I would like to practice for at least 20 years after i am done. so that means i will be retiring at age 80. Is there many doctors practing in mid 70's or even up to age 80 ? and what specialty is most practical for this purpose ? Thank you

i interviewed here on the 20th of sep. and tbh, if i get accepted in oct, i'll drop/withdraw from 13 of the 19 schools i applied to. love this place too much

I wish I could get an II lol, complete 9/25, 3.74 34N,

I hope I have a chance :/

I would like to practice for at least 20 years after i am done. so that means i will be retiring at age 80. Is there many doctors practing in mid 70's or even up to age 80 ? and what specialty is most practical for this purpose ? Thank you

I met a dermatologist practicing in his 80s.

Anything surgical/procedural is out. Maybe something like ID, rads or path? I actually think primary care would be difficult to do in your 70s unless you were practicing part time. The hours in most specialties aren't that great and you're going to spend most of your time on your feet in any specialty other than diagnostic rads and path. I do worry about residency in your 50s: the hours in any specialty are rough and busy.

You're currently a pharmacist; why go to med school? If you have a really compelling reason, go for it. If not, I'm worry that you'll be disappointed that you left a good career when medicine turns out not to be what you think it is. Personally, doing a PhD in the middle of medical school made me appreciate medicine quite a lot and I feel privileged to be a med student, but there are lots of things about being a medical student and physician that are not so great and that you can't really understand until you're there. I also think that, from a monetary perspective, it is very unlikely that it would financially be a good decision to leave pharm for medical school (not that money is all that matters). Think very carefully before you put aside your current career to become a physician.

I met a dermatologist practicing in his 80s.

Anything surgical/procedural is out. Maybe something like ID, rads or path? I actually think primary care would be difficult to do in your 70s unless you were practicing part time. The hours in most specialties aren't that great and you're going to spend most of your time on your feet in any specialty other than diagnostic rads and path. I do worry about residency in your 50s: the hours in any specialty are rough and busy.

You're currently a pharmacist; why go to med school? If you have a really compelling reason, go for it. If not, I'm worry that you'll be disappointed that you left a good career when medicine turns out not to be what you think it is. Personally, doing a PhD in the middle of medical school made me appreciate medicine quite a lot and I feel privileged to be a med student, but there are lots of things about being a medical student and physician that are not so great and that you can't really understand until you're there. I also think that, from a monetary perspective, it is very unlikely that it would financially be a good decision to leave pharm for medical school (not that money is all that matters). Think very carefully before you put aside your current career to become a physician.

Thank you, you sound like you will make a fine physician one day, perhaps a leader in your field as well. What do you mean by "that are not so great and that you can't really understand until you're there" ?
I have 3 physicians in my immediate family including my father and my brother and my sister hated medicine and went into something else. They are both very bright people, my sister went to stanford and brother to johns hopkins but they both opted not to go into medicine. and father became very disappointed that none of his children decided to go into his line of career. I myself actually hated medicine til late in middle of my pharmacy school. That was little late but found that i did actually found medicine very interesting. so why didn't i go into medical school right after pharmacy school ? Lots of thing figured into that and also i kept on putting it off and putting it off til now.

Still no word - complete 8/21.

Thank you, you sound like you will make a fine physician one day, perhaps a leader in your field as well. What do you mean by "that are not so great and that you can't really understand until you're there" ?
I have 3 physicians in my immediate family including my father and my brother and my sister hated medicine and went into something else. They are both very bright people, my sister went to stanford and brother to johns hopkins but they both opted not to go into medicine. and father became very disappointed that none of his children decided to go into his line of career. I myself actually hated medicine til late in middle of my pharmacy school. That was little late but found that i did actually found medicine very interesting. so why didn't i go into medical school right after pharmacy school ? Lots of thing figured into that and also i kept on putting it off and putting it off til now.

By going through medical school and residency now, you would be making huge sacrifices with your family life (I'd venture to guess this isn't usually AS big of a problem for younger training doctors because maybe they haven't married or settled down and had kids etc etc). Plus, you have to consider your age (which I think ist he biggest factor here). Being a 48 year old, you might still feel youthful and energetic now, but you most likely will not after you finish residency. Much younger people than you get burned out from residency. And also, perhaps saying you would like to practice until your'e 80 is somewhat unrealistic. It is definitely possible, and I have seen physicians in their 70s, but predicting that now is impossible for you. You just never know what your health will be like when you start practicing.

complete since early july-- anyone know if Dartmouth just does silent rejections?

By going through medical school and residency now, you would be making huge sacrifices with your family life (I'd venture to guess this isn't usually AS big of a problem for younger training doctors because maybe they haven't married or settled down and had kids etc etc). Plus, you have to consider your age (which I think ist he biggest factor here). Being a 48 year old, you might still feel youthful and energetic now, but you most likely will not after you finish residency. Much younger people than you get burned out from residency. And also, perhaps saying you would like to practice until your'e 80 is somewhat unrealistic. It is definitely possible, and I have seen physicians in their 70s, but predicting that now is impossible for you. You just never know what your health will be like when you start practicing.

Agree, i could develop dementia by the time i am 80. VEry tough to predict. Some people age really well like Hugh Heffner and some people are completely out of it by they are 75 years old. However, with continuing advancement in Neurology and anti-aging science, perhaps by the time we are 60 or 70, we would have learned how to reverse the aging process to some extent. and could preserve our brain function for much longer period of time. Hope.:)

I drive from New Haven to Providence all the time, and I also drive from Providence to Hanover quite often. There are peter pan busses, but I'd suggest a zip car. I used them a lot during undergrad. Not too expensive, and way more convenient than a bus/train.

Hey everybody,

I went to a top 25 University, I have 3 summers and 2 school years of research (through a funded scholars program)experience in a well known lab. I shadowed a pediatric surgeon for over 100 hours between the clinic and the OR. I have over 100 hours volunteering in the children's ward, I was a physics TA for a year, I was club treasurer for a disability awareness organization for a year, and I have around 4-5 other decent ECs My cgpa is 3.81 and my bcpm is 3.875. I was interrupted during my MCAT by a fire drill which threw me off and cost me five minutes off my verbal, but I still pulled off a PS 14 VR 12 BS 11 R. I have four really good letters of recommendation, sent in a committee letter (with the highest rating). I may have an additional letter or two coming from the teacher whose course I TA'd for and another from the surgeon I shadowed. Do you think it is too late to apply to dartmouth if I haven't sent them my primary yet (I've sent to other schools and am already certified)
Thanks!

Hey everybody,

I went to a top 25 University, I have 3 summers and 2 school years of research (through a funded scholars program)experience in a well known lab. I shadowed a pediatric surgeon for over 100 hours between the clinic and the OR. I have over 100 hours volunteering in the children's ward, I was a physics TA for a year, I was club treasurer for a disability awareness organization for a year, and I have around 4-5 other decent ECs My cgpa is 3.81 and my bcpm is 3.875. I was interrupted during my MCAT by a fire drill which threw me off and cost me five minutes off my verbal, but I still pulled off a PS 14 VR 12 BS 11 R. I have four really good letters of recommendation, sent in a committee letter (with the highest rating). I may have an additional letter or two coming from the teacher whose course I TA'd for and another from the surgeon I shadowed. Do you think it is too late to apply to dartmouth if I haven't sent them my primary yet (I've sent to other schools and am already certified)
Thanks!

Depends. When was your last bowel movement?

Early last night. I had a bunch of flamin hot cheetos so it was a tad red in shade

Early last night. I had a bunch of flamin hot cheetos so it was a tad red in shade

Dartmouth generally only interviews students with white feces. You might want to look into alternatives before applying this late.

But seriously, yes, feel free to apply. A 3.85/37 is going to be competitive everywhere in the nation.

Do you guys think I should re-apply? I already send in my secondary a few months ago, but never got an interview invite... I'm wondering if it's too late to send them a copy of my AMCAS application and secondary by mail and/or fax to see if they'll let me have another (or extra) shot.

Do you guys think I should re-apply? I already send in my secondary a few months ago, but never got an interview invite... I'm wondering if it's too late to send them a copy of my AMCAS application and secondary by mail and/or fax to see if they'll let me have another (or extra) shot.

Are you trying to apply to the same school twice in one cycle? I must be not understand you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

complete since early july-- anyone know if Dartmouth just does silent rejections?

i'll quote myself on this, since it didn't get any feedback...anyone know if batches of rejections are ever sent out or is it silent until spring?

Are you trying to apply to the same school twice in one cycle? I must be not understand you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, bad joke... :oops::D

are we supposed to contact students and ask them to be our hosts? what's the procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.