2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I looked at past EVMS threads, a few people posted that they found out they were bumped to 2nd tier when they called the admissions office later in the season. So, it's fluid during interview season as they meet more applicants.
That's really all I know. I assume that updates and letters of intent/interest can help those on the wait list, like with most schools.

not what i wanted to hear.
 
Does anyone know the likelihood of getting off 1st 1/3 waitlist spot for a asian male from California? thanks!🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If a student gets on the WL, will EVMS notify via snail mail or email? I saw a previous post saying that snail mail for WL, but I am not sure that's the case for everyone. Thanks!
 
If a student gets on the WL, will EVMS notify via snail mail or email? I saw a previous post saying that snail mail for WL, but I am not sure that's the case for everyone. Thanks!

Yes, to my knowledge all WL notifications are via snail mail.
 
Just got an II. Totally didn't expect an invitation because it has been a long while since I submitted my application (back in August). Lots of dates are still available in January. However, I will be withdrawing. Good lucks guys.

I'm OOS
 
Just got an II. Totally didn't expect an invitation because it has been a long while since I submitted my application (back in August). Lots of dates are still available in January. However, I will be withdrawing. Good lucks guys.

I'm OOS

Are invites via email?
 
Just got an II today and I have been complete since late August. There seemed to be alot of open interview spots still for January, since im traveling though ill be there on the 18th. OOS 3.7/3.7 gpa and 30R. Looking forward to meeting whoever else will be there that day.
 
Just got an II, have an acceptance at SLU and I want to learn more about EVMS before scheduling an interview or withdrawing. Does anyone have a link to the match list? Step 1 average? I don't know much about EVMS, and can't find much info on their website.

Any ideas? Also, any thoughts on SLU vs. EVMS?
 
II today, complete early August, 3.7/34. Going on January 16.

So there's hope for us complete early August still!
 
hi all! just got an II as well, complete late august, oos, 32/3.5 - will be withdrawing and hoping it goes to one of you!
 
My interview was BRUTAL. One of my interviewers argued almost every point I made. I also got 2 ethical questions. I think I handled myself well considering I only had one hour of sleep but still, this is my 5th interview and the only one that was stressful.

How long should I wait before I call to ask them about my decision? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My interview was BRUTAL. One of my interviewers argued almost every point I made. I also got 2 ethical questions. I think I handled myself well considering I only had one hour of sleep but still, this is my 5th interview and the only one that was stressful.

How long should I wait before I call to ask them about my decision? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

About 3.5 week is what I heard. I think the decision comes out in 4 weeks and takes a few more days after to receive your result via snail mail.
 
Interviewed dec 7th, middle third wait listed and received it by snail mail a couple days after Christmas. My interviewer warned me about the possibility of a wait list because I am OOS and she suggested I write a LOI.. So i did, lets hope it helps my chances!
 
Interviewed dec 7th, middle third wait listed and received it by snail mail a couple days after Christmas. My interviewer warned me about the possibility of a wait list because I am OOS and she suggested I write a LOI.. So i did, lets hope it helps my chances!

What did they put in the letter you received?

I can't see what tier from the letter I received.
 
Interviewed dec 7th, middle third wait listed and received it by snail mail a couple days after Christmas. My interviewer warned me about the possibility of a wait list because I am OOS and she suggested I write a LOI.. So i did, lets hope it helps my chances!

I interviewed on 12th, but still no mail... I guess I am WL waiting for that long?
 
Hi. I'm 3.83/3.83/27Q instate applicant. My file was completed late, in mid-October. So looking at people who were completed in August and just received an interview, I was wondering if anyone knew if they're just going by file completion date in offering interviews, regardless of if you're instate or out of state?

Thanks!
 
I found I am WL at EVMS. On its website, it says "We will offer approximately 300 acceptances to fill a class of 140," and I guess those 300 are probably offered for acceptances, not WL, right? If that's the case, it seems WL people would not have much chance to get off from the list since acceptances were offered to more than double the number of the a starting class... Any one with more accurate information?

Also, do people get off of the WL with some interval, before all the acceptances were offered, or do they need to wait till like May?

Thanks!
 
I found I am WL at EVMS. On its website, it says "We will offer approximately 300 acceptances to fill a class of 140," and I guess those 300 are probably offered for acceptances, not WL, right? If that's the case, it seems WL people would not have much chance to get off from the list since acceptances were offered to more than double the number of the a starting class... Any one with more accurate information?

Also, do people get off of the WL with some interval, before all the acceptances were offered, or do they need to wait till like May?

Thanks!

If I understand correctly, getting in off the waitlist counts towards those 300 acceptances
 
it's been just over a week since I've interviewed and I'm dying to know my status. Do you think they've made the decision yet? (I know people have said that it takes around 3 weeks but has anyone called within the first 2 weeks and heard something?)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called the admissions to find out where I am at on the WL, and the person told me that I am on top of other peers... I am wondering whether the person was actually referring to the top third of the WL, not actual top of the peers on the list... Any idea? I was kinda afraid to ask more specifically... calling the admissions is always intimidating haha
 
I called and found out I was waitlisted and I'm in the middle tier or whatever it is. So lame. Guess I'm horrible at interviewing.
 
Hi. I'm 3.83/3.83/27Q instate applicant. My file was completed late, in mid-October. So looking at people who were completed in August and just received an interview, I was wondering if anyone knew if they're just going by file completion date in offering interviews, regardless of if you're instate or out of state?

Thanks!
was thinking same thing
 
Hi. I'm 3.83/3.83/27Q instate applicant. My file was completed late, in mid-October. So looking at people who were completed in August and just received an interview, I was wondering if anyone knew if they're just going by file completion date in offering interviews, regardless of if you're instate or out of state?

Thanks!

If people in August are just getting interviews then they don't go in order. I was complete in October, interviewed in December and just got an acceptance around the 4 week mark. I'm also OOS. Total shocker cause I really loved the school.

I also just got an interview at Wake Forest after thinking that they had put my application in a shredder so you really never know. Sometimes silence is golden I guess...
 
Hey Everybody,

Just wanted to ease some of your pain and try to demystify some thing that seem to driving you guys bonkers! (and me at the time as well). The fact that you haven't had a decision for a while doesn't mean anything (waitlist, rejection or acceptance). The admissions committee meets about twice a month so just be patient. When getting off the waitlist, there are multiple ways you can be notified. The most common being snail mail. 300 acceptances includes people getting off the waitlist. I am not sure about how much the waitlist will move this year since it changes from year to year. I think you guys will all do great.

Some tips on deciding on a med school. Certainly debt is a consideration when you're looking at your schools, but also look at a few other things. Most of you are probably hung up on the first two years of medical school, but where it really matters are the following:

1. Average Step 1 USMLE score compared to the national mean
2. Where do 3rd year medical students do their rotations: Is it near by or do you have to physically move to another city for a few months? (hard on people with families).
3. Do 4th year medical students get their top choices for interviews? Do they get their top choices for match?
4. The "feel" of the student body is important as well. Do you feel like you would blend in well? You're going to be with this student body for at least 4 years so that is an important question!

I urge all of you to ask these questions at your interviews and then sit down at the end of the day to compare notes between schools.
 
Just received an interview invite today via email! I'm scheduled for feb 13th (there were other options feb 1st, 6th, 8th and 13th).

I'm kind of surprised considering I applied late ( I had to wait for a new MCAT score to see if it would be worth it applying) this cycle but I'm extremely thankful. I'm enrolled in a masters program at the moment and have exams coming up so the only day that worked was the 13th. I was really conflicted because I wasn't sure if interviewing the 13th versus the earlier dates would hurt my chances but I figured the dates wouldn't matter considering the adcom meets maybe 2 or 3 times a month?
 
Just received an interview invite today via email! I'm scheduled for feb 13th (there were other options feb 1st, 6th, 8th and 13th).

I'm kind of surprised considering I applied late ( I had to wait for a new MCAT score to see if it would be worth it applying) this cycle but I'm extremely thankful. I'm enrolled in a masters program at the moment and have exams coming up so the only day that worked was the 13th. I was really conflicted because I wasn't sure if interviewing the 13th versus the earlier dates would hurt my chances but I figured the dates wouldn't matter considering the adcom meets maybe 2 or 3 times a month?

Congratulations!
 
Hey guys! So I've been trying to send an update to EVMS regarding work/medical experience, but every time I try to send an email to [email protected], it bounces back. Is there another email address I should be sending it to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
One more thing: The first email I received from EVMS, inviting me to finish the secondary application, listed the possible categories my application could be placed in once complete. However, all I received was a complete email on 8/10/12. Should I have received another email after that regarding my candidacy, or does it just mean they haven't made a decision yet?
Thanks!
 
Hey guys! So I've been trying to send an update to EVMS regarding work/medical experience, but every time I try to send an email to [email protected], it bounces back. Is there another email address I should be sending it to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
One more thing: The first email I received from EVMS, inviting me to finish the secondary application, listed the possible categories my application could be placed in once complete. However, all I received was a complete email on 8/10/12. Should I have received another email after that regarding my candidacy, or does it just mean they haven't made a decision yet?
Thanks!

1) that's not a valid EVMS address
2) no response means no decision has been made yet. You should try giving their admissions office a call. They are very friendly and helpful.
 
Interviewed 12/19; letter postmarked 1/11 said waitlist... Called and found out I'm top 1/3 though - anyone know how likely an acceptance is after that?
 
Hey guys! So I've been trying to send an update to EVMS regarding work/medical experience, but every time I try to send an email to [email protected], it bounces back. Is there another email address I should be sending it to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
One more thing: The first email I received from EVMS, inviting me to finish the secondary application, listed the possible categories my application could be placed in once complete. However, all I received was a complete email on 8/10/12. Should I have received another email after that regarding my candidacy, or does it just mean they haven't made a decision yet?
Thanks!

I had the same problem so I called in and spoke with the office staff. She gave me the email address "[email protected]"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
danorlan, thanks for the email address, but I just tried it and it bounced back as well 😕 I'll just call the admissions staff, as per SourD21's recommendation. Thanks to you both!
 
Heard that OOS has more movement. Are you OOS or IS?

So, within a tier, EVMS divides the group again into two (OOS, IS), and gives priority to OOS? For example, EVMS would divide the first tier group into OOS and IS and would likely to choose OOS instead of IS? That doesn't make much sense to me...
 
So, within a tier, EVMS divides the group again into two (OOS, IS), and gives priority to OOS? For example, EVMS would divide the first tier group into OOS and IS and would likely to choose OOS instead of IS? That doesn't make much sense to me...

No I think they just have separate waitlists for IS vs OOS spots
 
Status
Not open for further replies.