2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, within a tier, EVMS divides the group again into two (OOS, IS), and gives priority to OOS? For example, EVMS would divide the first tier group into OOS and IS and would likely to choose OOS instead of IS? That doesn't make much sense to me...

They don't give preference. It's just that OOS has more movement because they're less likely to attend the school than someone who's IS.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II tonight! 3.5, 33Q OOS complete 8/8...very pumped

Interview tomorrow! Kinda nervous. I already read the interview feedback section for evms, but anyone got any last minute interview tips or advice? I'd appreciate it :)

Interview tomorrow! Kinda nervous. I already read the interview feedback section for evms, but anyone got any last minute interview tips or advice? I'd appreciate it :)

I'm sure you already know its a panel interview, but I just wanted to mention that some people on here said they had a rough time with this style and had unpleasant interviewers on top of that. If you start getting grilled, just try to relax, keep your composure, and answer their questions without getting defensive.

For what its worth, I had the complete opposite experience; I had very conversational and friendly interviewers and ended up having a great day otherwise. I ended up waitlisted though so who knows whats better :laugh: Good luck! EVMS is a cool place.

Be confident in your responses to the panel :)

Can anyone help me figure out why this school gave me an interview? Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful and excited but it's just that the school seems focused on patient care and primary care (it says so on their website) yet my entire application is focused around how much I want to go into academics. I'm not sure how to play to my strengths at the interview when none of my qualities seem to fit with the school. :confused:

Ummm...perhaps you should withdraw if you don't think your interests and career goals are a good fit with EVMS?
They obviously see value in you as an applicant, but I doubt anyone here will be able to figure out why you got an interview. Research EVMS some more and find one or two things to highlight in your interview. My interviewers didn't ask me about my specific goals; it was more about my past experiences and motivations for going into medicine in general.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone help me figure out why this school gave me an interview?:

Computer error, most likely. They obviously meant to send you a rejection email. No interest in primary care? Your application just screams- 'reject me!'

Just FYI, I wasn't asked about my lack of interest in primary care at the interview. I specifically mentioned that I was interested in practicing a specialty in my secondary app.

Can anyone help me figure out why this school gave me an interview? Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful and excited but it's just that the school seems focused on patient care and primary care (it says so on their website) yet my entire application is focused around how much I want to go into academics. I'm not sure how to play to my strengths at the interview when none of my qualities seem to fit with the school. :confused:

Primary care and academics are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of academic primary care physicians.

Hey guys. I have a question about traveling for those who are familiar with the area. My interview is scheduled for 2:45 and wondering if it would be risky to book a 5:20 departure flight. Also any recommendations on nearby hotels/getting to and from the airport? I was disappointed to hear that the student host program wasn't available. Thanks!!! :D

Hey guys. I have a question about traveling for those who are familiar with the area. My interview is scheduled for 2:45 and wondering if it would be risky to book a 5:20 departure flight. Also any recommendations on nearby hotels/getting to and from the airport? I was disappointed to hear that the student host program wasn't available. Thanks!!! :D

5:20 is cutting it too close. You never know how long it will take to get through security.

5:20 is cutting it too close. You never know how long it will take to get through security.

Norfolk has a tiny airport and getting thru security shouldn't take more than 20 minutes and it's about 20 min from the school. I think you should be okay

You'll definitely be out of the school by 3:30. Norfolk's airport is super tiny and I was amazed at how quickly I got through security. I also left in the early evening and there wasn't a single line anywhere. So I think 5:20 is fine.
I stayed at the Tazewell Hotel in downtown Norfolk; call for a special lower rate for EVMS interviewees. It's about 10 minutes from EVMS by light rail, which I used to get to and from my interview. For transportation to and from the airport I used James River Transportation's airport shuttle service; I was picked up at a specific time and everything ran smoothly.

You'll definitely be out of the school by 3:30. Norfolk's airport is super tiny and I was amazed at how quickly I got through security. I also left in the early evening and there wasn't a single line anywhere. So I think 5:20 is fine.
I stayed at the Tazewell Hotel in downtown Norfolk; call for a special lower rate for EVMS interviewees. It's about 10 minutes from EVMS by light rail, which I used to get to and from my interview. For transportation to and from the airport I used James River Transportation's airport shuttle service; I was picked up at a specific time and everything ran smoothly.

Norfolk has a tiny airport and getting thru security shouldn't take more than 20 minutes and it's about 20 min from the school. I think you should be okay

Thanks for the advice :)

Anybody interview January 11th and heard back ????

Last edited:
Hey guys I have an interview here this week, can someone recommend a good hotel close to the school?

hey guys, I read some schools get people off from WL before they are done with interviewing candidates. Would that be the same case for EVMS? For ex, people getting off from WL before March when EVMS finishes interviews

Last edited:
hey guys, I read some schools get people off from WL before they are done with interviewing candidates. Would that be the same case for EVMS? For ex, people getting off from WL before March when EVMS finishes interviews

Last year someone posted that he/she got off the WL at the very end of February. But no other SDN poster did until April. :shrug:
So I wouldn't expect movement til mid-April when the double-hold deadline passes, especially since they're interviewing through March.

Hey guys I have an interview here this week, can someone recommend a good hotel close to the school?

Stayed at the Courtyard Marriott about 5 min from the school... Good location.

Just withdrew/canceled my interview....hope one of you gets it

I wonder how many people are in each third? Seems like a lot of us are in the top 1/3rd....

Also just withdrew from my Feb 15th interview spot. OOS tuition is ridiculous

It is ridiculous :( and you can't even claim in-state tuition in the last years! I'm thinking of withdrawing here just cuz of the cost.

Hey all!

Hope everyone is doing well here and I hope your application year has been pretty smooth. I am a member of the class of 2016 and I also am part of the class of 2016 exec council as well and I'd like to take a few moments and talk about EVMS.

I know you all have lots and lots of questions, but before we get into the specifics, I just want to say that if you have been accepted to EVMS (in-state or out-of-state), I would like extend an invitation and ask you to join the Class of 2017 EVMS Facebook page. Just search facebook for "EVMS 2017" (without quotes :)) and I'll add you to the group. It'll be a great way for you to network with each other and with the class of 2016 leadership as well.

This may be long, but please bear with me as I want to make this post thorough. If you have any questions, feel free to post and I'll do my best to respond and keep in touch.

For Accepted Students Congratulations! EVMS is a wonderful school, with fantastic faculty and staff and with students who really want to help each other out. The administration at EVMS are absolutely fabulous and they are completely open to any and all concerns. We have a great curriculum and are one of a handful of MD schools in the United States that incorporate ultrasound training into the education system. The extracurricular activities at EVMS are really nice too. We have a student-run clinic (the HOPES clinic) which serves to provide healthcare to people who have none. We also have students who volunteer their time and energy in providing food/assistance to the needy of Norfolk, VA and many more! All-in-all, EVMS is a great place to get an MD and I assure you, the four years you spend here will be totally worth it! You'll learn, have a blast and make life-long friends.

For Wait-listed Students Have hope! I know a lot of WL students are on the fence as to what they should do, but be aware that if you're wait-listed now, that means you were probably interviewed early (that's a good thing! ;)). Just do yourself a favor, and send in an update email every once in a while listing your new activities or other things that you are continuing to do. Also include a reason as to why you'd like to attend EVMS as well in this email too. Admin offices definitely like students who show interest in their school (this applies to every school, not just EVMS).

For those who are about to interview Congratulations at nabbing an interview! I know you'll have a great time touring the school, talking with students and meeting with faculty. I also know that the interview is a nerve-racking time, but please, don't make it out to be that way! Relax, be yourself, explain your points of view and smile. Most people I know have had wonderful interview experiences at EVMS. Just be yourself and I am 100% confident that you'll do fine.

For those who still want an interview Keep sending those update letters! Let the school know you're interested and why you want to interview/go to EVMS. They will add this information to your file and review it before sending off another round of interviews.

Here is my story: I am a OOS non-traditional student who did the Georgetown SMP. I sent in my primary application sometime towards the end of June and was considered "complete" (with grades, LOR, secondaries) by the beginning of August. I interviewed in early November and was subsequently wait-listed a few weeks later. Sometime towards the tail end of May, I was accepted. Trust me, this is a long, drawn-out process. I had to wait about 6 months after my WL decision before I heard back, but in the mean time, I was sending in updates whenever I had something new to add to my file. I let the school know about my new tutoring experiences, volunteer experiences as well as new shadowing that I had done. So please, keep the school posted of what you're doing (activities, grades, shadowing, etc) and please be patient (sounds pretty hard to do, and trust me, I know how it feels).

Feel free to message me or post your questions below. We are currently studying for multiple exams so I can't really check this thread all the time, but rest assured, I'll definitely check in every day or two.

Good luck guys, and I hope to hear from many of you soon :)

Hey all!

Hope everyone is doing well here and I hope your application year has been pretty smooth. I am a member of the class of 2016 and I also am part of the class of 2016 exec council as well and I'd like to take a few moments and talk about EVMS.

I know you all have lots and lots of questions, but before we get into the specifics, I just want to say that if you have been accepted to EVMS (in-state or out-of-state), I would like extend an invitation and ask you to join the Class of 2017 EVMS Facebook page. Just search facebook for "EVMS 2017" (without quotes :)) and I'll add you to the group. It'll be a great way for you to network with each other and with the class of 2016 leadership as well.

This may be long, but please bear with me as I want to make this post thorough. If you have any questions, feel free to post and I'll do my best to respond and keep in touch.

For Accepted Students Congratulations! EVMS is a wonderful school, with fantastic faculty and staff and with students who really want to help each other out. The administration at EVMS are absolutely fabulous and they are completely open to any and all concerns. We have a great curriculum and are one of a handful of MD schools in the United States that incorporate ultrasound training into the education system. The extracurricular activities at EVMS are really nice too. We have a student-run clinic (the HOPES clinic) which serves to provide healthcare to people who have none. We also have students who volunteer their time and energy in providing food/assistance to the needy of Norfolk, VA and many more! All-in-all, EVMS is a great place to get an MD and I assure you, the four years you spend here will be totally worth it! You'll learn, have a blast and make life-long friends.

For Wait-listed Students Have hope! I know a lot of WL students are on the fence as to what they should do, but be aware that if you're wait-listed now, that means you were probably interviewed early (that's a good thing! ;)). Just do yourself a favor, and send in an update email every once in a while listing your new activities or other things that you are continuing to do. Also include a reason as to why you'd like to attend EVMS as well in this email too. Admin offices definitely like students who show interest in their school (this applies to every school, not just EVMS).

For those who are about to interview Congratulations at nabbing an interview! I know you'll have a great time touring the school, talking with students and meeting with faculty. I also know that the interview is a nerve-racking time, but please, don't make it out to be that way! Relax, be yourself, explain your points of view and smile. Most people I know have had wonderful interview experiences at EVMS. Just be yourself and I am 100% confident that you'll do fine.

For those who still want an interview Keep sending those update letters! Let the school know you're interested and why you want to interview/go to EVMS. They will add this information to your file and review it before sending off another round of interviews.

Here is my story: I am a OOS non-traditional student who did the Georgetown SMP. I sent in my primary application sometime towards the end of June and was considered "complete" (with grades, LOR, secondaries) by the beginning of August. I interviewed in early November and was subsequently wait-listed a few weeks later. Sometime towards the tail end of May, I was accepted. Trust me, this is a long, drawn-out process. I had to wait about 6 months after my WL decision before I heard back, but in the mean time, I was sending in updates whenever I had something new to add to my file. I let the school know about my new tutoring experiences, volunteer experiences as well as new shadowing that I had done. So please, keep the school posted of what you're doing (activities, grades, shadowing, etc) and please be patient (sounds pretty hard to do, and trust me, I know how it feels).

Feel free to message me or post your questions below. We are currently studying for multiple exams so I can't really check this thread all the time, but rest assured, I'll definitely check in every day or two.

Good luck guys, and I hope to hear from many of you soon :)

Thanks for the advice! Just out of curiosity which tier on the WL were you in? I interviewed late sept and I am top 1/3 and it seems like that's where most people are. How likely am I to get in off the WL? I sent an update letter to EVMS in January and plan to send another sometime in march. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Just as an FYI I am OOS. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! Just out of curiosity which tier on the WL were you in? I interviewed late sept and I am top 1/3 and it seems like that's where most people are. How likely am I to get in off the WL? I sent an update letter to EVMS in January and plan to send another sometime in march. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Just as an FYI I am OOS. Thanks again!

I was on the top third of the WL as well. Given the month that you interviewed and the WL tier that you're on, I would venture to say that you have a decent shot at an acceptance. From what I can remember, though, they don't start pulling people off the WL until after mid-May. Keep sending the admin office updates of your new activities/update on any AMCAS activities and a little reminder of why you'd like to attend EVMS. Good luck

Interviewed mid January, just received a wait list decision.:(

Did you guys call to find out what part of the wait list you're on? Also, if you're wait listed this late,do you have less of a chance of acceptance?

Interviewed mid January, just received a wait list decision.:(

Did you guys call to find out what part of the wait list you're on? Also, if you're wait listed this late,do you have less of a chance of acceptance?

Yes, you have to call to find out which tier you're on. Don't know about your second question; I think it'd depend on how early you applied (thus how long they waited to extend an II...the sooner they send you one, the better), but I'm sure a significant number of people who interviewed from January onward will eventually be accepted from the WL.

Anyone know where I can see the EVMS 2012 match list?

Yes, you have to call to find out which tier you're on. Don't know about your second question; I think it'd depend on how early you applied (thus how long they waited to extend an II...the sooner they send you one, the better), but I'm sure a significant number of people who interviewed from January onward will eventually be accepted from the WL.

Anyone know where I can see the EVMS 2012 match list?

I submitted my app in August, and was invited early January. Not good chances, then?

I do remember, however, that we indirectly found out that they were only interviewing for waitlist spots on our interview day.

I submitted my app in August, and was invited early January. Not good chances, then?

I do remember, however, that we indirectly found out that they were only interviewing for waitlist spots on our interview day.

That's disappointing... how did you guys find that out?

I call in yesterday which was 3 weeks post-interview and they let me know that I am on the top 1/3 of the wait-list. It sure seems like noone is in the middle or bottom of the waitlist from reading here.

Got the acceptance letter today via snail mail. Interviewed 1/16. I'm oos so tuition kinda sucks, but whatever, I'm in and pumped.

I call in yesterday which was 3 weeks post-interview and they let me know that I am on the top 1/3 of the wait-list. It sure seems like noone is in the middle or bottom of the waitlist from reading here.

Self-selecting bias of SDN.
Trust me, the middle and lower thirds exist.

Just interviewed at EVMS yesterday! Loved my interviewers, loved the school! I cannot wait to hear their decision.

ii last week for feb/march dates, will be withdrawing though.. hope someone eager gets my spot!

Just found out I was accepted... through snail mail... they may have called, but I was away on an international trip this past week. After careful consideration I am withdrawing my acceptance, I thought EVMS was a great school and had a great program with a lot of potential. I just wasn't feeling the location, nothing wrong with it, just wasn't for me!

Good luck to you guys!

Just found out I was accepted... through snail mail... they may have called, but I was away on an international trip this past week. After careful consideration I am withdrawing my acceptance, I thought EVMS was a great school and had a great program with a lot of potential. I just wasn't feeling the location, nothing wrong with it, just wasn't for me!

Good luck to you guys!

When did u interview?

Accepted last week after being wait listed at the end of January. The timing seemed unusual- waitlist for ~ 3 weeks then an acceptance. Surprised but very pleased.

Accepted last week after being wait listed at the end of January. The timing seemed unusual- waitlist for ~ 3 weeks then an acceptance. Surprised but very pleased.

Did you send an LOI or update letter? Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.