2023-2024 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Erm... Anyone get an A this month that wants to report it here? šŸ˜… Just so I can stop checking my mail every hour for this month, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Erm... Anyone get an A this month that wants to report it here? šŸ˜… Just so I can stop checking my mail every hour for this month, thanks!
Based on the 2018-2019 cycle thread (in which March 2019 and March 2024 dates and days are aligned together), the A's for this month should be mailed out today by IUSM, and should reach us over the next few days.

Based on the 2018-2019 cycle thread (in which March 2019 and March 2024 dates and days are aligned together), the A's for this month should be mailed out today by IUSM, and should reach us over the next few days.
would they not be sent over email?

Members don't see this ad :)

Keep in mind that that cycle is 5 years old, policies could have changed. If you look at last year's thread, not much happens in March.

IS A just came in the mail!!! Woke up from a nap to my parents calling me to say the envelope finally came. Still in shock, honestly thought WL was my only hope. Interviewed 1/17

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
IS A! :) I interviewed 11/8 and did not receive an email/portal update. Good luck to everyone still waiting! Wishing the best for you all šŸ’—

Reactions: 4 users
IS A just came in the mail!!! Woke up from a nap to my parents calling me to say the envelope finally came. Still in shock, honestly thought WL was my only hope. Interviewed 1/17
Should update that I did not get an email or portal update and nothing showed up on Informed Delivery.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the A email as well ! First MD acceptance! OOS with 504 MCAT, URM

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone on the As!! So does anyone know if we didn't hear back this month does that mean we won't hear back until May for W/R?

Congrats to everyone on the As!! So does anyone know if we didn't hear back this month does that mean we won't hear back until May for W/R?
Based on last yearā€™s thread it seems like Waitlist will come out sometime in late April/early May. Rejections come out mid-May if not on the WL I believeā€”at least thatā€™s when I got mine last year.

Hoping As are still arriving in the mail the next couple daysšŸ¤žI live far from Indy so maybe there is a chancešŸ˜«

Does anyone think there are still As this month that just havenā€™t arrived by mail yet? Still trying to be hopeful for an A

Does anyone think there are still As this month that just havenā€™t arrived by mail yet? Still trying to be hopeful for an A
I don't think so, especially after the emails have gone out. I think we just wait for WLs and post-II Rs now in April.

For reference, I live in Southern California. Farrrr from Indy. And they sent my acceptance out in March 15 and I received it in the mail by March 22.

Did everyone receive portal updates/emails last week?

Possible to get a post-II A directly at this point? Or can we only expect WL if we haven't received any post-II decision yet

OOS A! Interviewed back in Oct, no email notification but just got it in the mail (am on West Coast for reference)

Has anyone's criminal background check been checked off on the IU portal yet?

Does anyone know how IUā€™s waitlist movement is? I really thought I had a good chance of getting in so im hoping Iā€™ll be pulled off the waitlist šŸ˜­šŸ¤ž

How likely is it for people to not get into their top 3 campus assignments?

Is there any group me or discord for accepted students yet?

Does anyone know how IUā€™s waitlist movement is? I really thought I had a good chance of getting in so im hoping Iā€™ll be pulled off the waitlist šŸ˜­šŸ¤ž
I've heard from current students that WL movement is pretty good and happens up until orientation day if necessary to fill slots. That said, your campus assignment will likely be wherever they have open seats depending on how late you are pulled. I don't believe the WL is ranked and you could be selected by the dean or admissions at a specific campus to fill their remaining availability (rumor from current students that were picked off the WL late in the cycle)

does campus selection depend on OOS/IS
Campus selection is a "lottery system" based on applicant campus rankings 1-9, when the ranking is submitted, and how much room is available at each campus. With the exception that Early Decision applicants get to choose their campus. The earlier you receive an A, the earlier you can submit your campus rankings which increases your chances of being placed at one of your top choices. It will not depend on OOS vs IS.

Hello! First year IUSM student and wanted to hop in here again and let everyone know that I am available to answer any questions (if I can answer them). Feel free to pm :)

Hello! First year IUSM student and wanted to hop in here again and let everyone know that I am available to answer any questions (if I can answer them). Feel free to pm :)
Is it hard to find housing at the satellite campuses compared to Indy? What is a good resource to find research opportunities? How commonly do students have to travel to complete research projects?

Do students generally do research throughout the year (maybe as early as first year?), or is there no time for it? If yes, how many hours on average do they spend on it?

Is it hard to find housing at the satellite campuses compared to Indy? What is a good resource to find research opportunities? How commonly do students have to travel to complete research projects?
It might be a little harder on some of the more remote campuses, but for the most part no. I don't know anyone who really struggled with housing.

Resources for research: There are a bunch. There is usually a big optional meeting early in the fall (held separately on each campus) where you meet pretty much all the people that can connect you with research. Keep an eye out for that, highly recommend going - probably the easiest way to meet the people who will be the best contact for getting you involved in research. For regional campuses, your professors and/or campus dean can be a resource to help connect you to the right people if you have specific interest. A lot of students also do IMPRS (summer research program you will hear a LOT about), and the program director can help you getting into summer research with or without doing IMPRS. There is a research meet and greet in the fall where you can go and meet a bunch of researchers - some will only be looking for summer research expereinces, but there are many others that are willing to let you be involved during the academic year. Some of the student interest groups also offer opportunities to get involved in projects and/or have contacts for research. Upperclassmen will also on occasion mention opportunities in the groupme. Focus on adjusting to class first, then I would probably start by attending the optional research related events when they happen and connecting with the faculty on your campus.

During the academic year I would say traveling for research is pretty much unheard of. In the summer between M1 and M2, there are more available in Indy so a lot of people come to Indy for the summer. But some students are able to do remote research or stay on their campus and do research.

Do students generally do research throughout the year (maybe as early as first year?), or is there no time for it? If yes, how many hours on average do they spend on it?
Most students don't do research right away, your 1st semester it might be a little more difficult, but second semester you should definitely have time, if you want to. The average student doesn't really start getting super involved with research until the summer between MS1 and MS2 though. As for doing research during the academic year and how much, that fully depends on the student. Some students continue building on their summer project. A good number of second years do research throughout the year, but it fully depends on the interest of the student. From what I've heard, most MS2 who do research fall between 5- 10 hours a week, but it can be more or less depending on what they are working on and how involved they like to be in research.

Instead of longitudinal research, MS1s who do research typically do more case reports/abstract/presentation type things. Some second years also focus more on case reports/posters rather than working on one specific project. But the opportunity is there to do either, whatever your personal preference is.

For accepted students, I initially didnā€™t add Indiana on my FAFSA when I submitted it and now because of the delay, I am not going to receive a financial aid package before April 30th, which is the plan to enroll commitment if Iā€™m not mistaken. Does anyone know how to navigate this?

How hard is it to find an apartment 2-3 weeks before classes start? I feel like I should be looking at places now but itā€™s hard not knowing what campus Iā€™ll be at.
Had the same thought. Do you know is there a GroupMe for A students?

You're invited to my new group 'Accepted students IUSM 2028' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Not my group but just copied the link haha an admin has to let you in so it might take a few hours

You're invited to my new group 'Accepted students IUSM 2028' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Not my group but just copied the link haha an admin has to let you in so it might take a few hours
Thanks so much!